5.1 Dolby Digital Receiver with Video Upconversion to HD Cables? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums


View Full Version : 5.1 Dolby Digital Receiver with Video Upconversion to HD Cables?

02-25-2004, 12:56 PM
I've recently read that some receiver's offer upconversion. My Denon 2803 does not do this and I have entertainment nooks in my living room. What that means is I have recessed wall space where my TV fits and another space where all my A/V equipment sits and a tunnel for running cables between the two nooks. That tunnel is full which means I can't add anything new to my system.

If I can get a receiver that upconverts then I only have to run 1 component cable to the TV to help me save space.

02-25-2004, 01:18 PM
an AV receiver that converts EVERYTHING to component video. If there is I'm sure someone will tell me. I know of some that convert Composite to S-Video but not Composite and S-Video to Component Video.

Da Worfster

02-25-2004, 01:56 PM
My set-up is almost exactly like what you have, tunnel and all, and video up-conversion (vu) will help, but probably not in the way you think. VU allows you to use various s-video, component, rca, etc. interconnects from all of your source equipment into your receiver and yet only use one cable from the receiver to the tv, usually component, instead of multiple cables. HOWEVER, it does not improve the signal quality at all. For example, if you use rca's from your dvd player to the receiver and component from the receiver to the tv, you will still only realize rca quality video. To get component quality, you would need to use component cables from the dvd to receiver. In your case, at least you can plug everything into the receiver and use only one cable from the receiver to tv, so it may solve your problem. Keep in mind that if you decide to use component cable from the receiver to the tv, your tunnel better be pretty wide because the three cables take up a lot of room.

Good luck.

02-25-2004, 03:01 PM
I currently have the HD 3-cable (is that component) running through the tunnel, but all the other S-Video, RCA, coax have to go through the tunnel. I know that the quality will only be as good as the weakest link but it would give me two things:

1) I won't have to change the input on my TV anymore.
2) Tunnel space will no longer be needed so I can add video components to my set up.

I just read that the Denon 3803 upconverts. Does this work well? Do the lower models upconvert?

02-25-2004, 06:08 PM
I have the 3803 and the upconversion works as advertised. I have no idea if the lower models have this feature but when choosing between the 2803 and 3803, I bought the latter specifically for this feature knowing my tunnel space is also quite limited (should've used a larger gauge pvc pipe when I built this one, I'll know better next time). It makes the install much cleaner and your're right, you don't have to switch inputs on your tv anymore, just leave it on "ypbr" or "component" or whatever it's called on your set.

Good luck