onix x-cs, onix x-sls, boston VR1?? want to purchase soon... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : onix x-cs, onix x-sls, boston VR1?? want to purchase soon...

dandre47
09-08-2007, 12:31 PM
ok so i am buying speakers on a tight budget for mostly music listening, all types of music (rock, rap, classical, alternative, reggae, etc), and although the onix x-mtm's are nice they are about 540 with shipping which is a little too much for me right now. I'm thinkin about gettin a pair of the x-cs's which are essentially the same speaker as the mtms without the floorstanding enclosure or else a pair of x-sls's or boston acoustics VR1's. any opinions? I want to make a purchase in the next couple days... I've accepted that I'm not going to be able to audition because i have no means of transportation right now for going and significant distance, so I'm trusting your opinions and plenty of reviews.

thanks guys, any help is greatly appreciated.

Dan

Jimmy C
09-08-2007, 02:11 PM
ok so i am buying speakers on a tight budget for mostly music listening, all types of music (rock, rap, classical, alternative, reggae, etc), and although the onix x-mtm's are nice they are about 540 with shipping which is a little too much for me right now. I'm thinkin about gettin a pair of the x-cs's which are essentially the same speaker as the mtms without the floorstanding enclosure or else a pair of x-sls's or boston acoustics VR1's. any opinions? I want to make a purchase in the next couple days... I've accepted that I'm not going to be able to audition because i have no means of transportation right now for going and significant distance, so I'm trusting your opinions and plenty of reviews.

thanks guys, any help is greatly appreciated.

Dan

...can't go wrong for the price. I haven't heard anything from Boston lately (except mine :^) so I can't comment.

What's nice about the Onix is that there is a soft-dome tweeter (no metal tweeteritis), the cabinet is finished very well (I chose the Maple), and you can add the matching sub when funds permit. Oh, yeah... they sound good too!

Seriously, they're clean, coherent, good soundstaging, and never too agressive. Easy all-day listening.

Again... don't think you can go wrong at the price.

dandre47
09-08-2007, 02:16 PM
alright thanks for the response. do you personally have a recommendation between a pair of x-cs and x-sls? is it worth it to sacrifice a driver for a bigger cabinet?

Jimmy C
09-08-2007, 03:59 PM
alright thanks for the response. do you personally have a recommendation between a pair of x-cs and x-sls? is it worth it to sacrifice a driver for a bigger cabinet?

...a center channel? And the x-sls looks like it uses the same drivers as the x-ls, just a floor-stander. You'll obviously get a bit more bottom end, possibly at the expense of some coloration. Never heard 'em, but many inexpensive towers suffer from box resonances.

'Sup to you...

GMichael
09-08-2007, 04:34 PM
You could get the x-mtm Tower Loudspeaker B Stock for $379.00.

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=stock&product=113.1

Other B stock is available.

http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=stock&brand=14

dandre47
09-08-2007, 04:42 PM
yeah the xcs is a center but i don't think a pair of them would be bad at all as stereo speakers because it's essentially the x-mtm but without the cabinet and its magnetically shielded...

GMichael
09-08-2007, 08:01 PM
yeah the xcs is a center but i don't think a pair of them would be bad at all as stereo speakers because it's essentially the x-mtm but without the cabinet and its magnetically shielded...

Their website does say that you can use them as mains if you want.

dandre47
09-09-2007, 01:22 AM
perhaps just good advertising? i think i trust them.

GMichael
09-09-2007, 05:41 AM
perhaps just good advertising? i think i trust them.

Nothing wrong with using most centers as mains. Just note that the price is each, instead of per pair.