Blues 101 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Blues 101

Luvin Da Blues
09-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Found this Online and thought it's pretty funny.....

Blues 101

If you are new to Blues music, or like it but never really understood the whys and wherefores, here are some very fundamental rules:

1. Most Blues begin with: "Woke up this morning...."

2. "I got a good woman" is a bad way to begin the Blues, unless you stick
something nasty in the next line like, "I got a good woman, with the
meanest face in town."

3. The Blues are simple. After you get the first line right, repeat it. Then
find something that rhymes - sort of: "Got a good woman with the meanest
face in town. Yes, I got a good woman with the meanest face in town. Got
teeth like Margaret Thatcher and she weigh 500 pound."

4. The Blues is not about choice. You stuck in a ditch, you stuck in a ditch...ain't no way out.

5. Blues cars: Chevys, Fords, Cadillacs and broken-down trucks. Blues don't travel in Volvos, BMWs, or Sport Utility Vehicles. Most Blues transportation is a Greyhound bus or a southbound train. Jet aircraft and state-sponsored motor pools ain't even in the running. Walkin' plays a major part in the Blues lifestyle. So does fixin' to die.

6. Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

7. Blues can take place in New York City but not in Hawaii, the Hamptons or anywhere in Canada. Hard times in Minneapolis or Seattle is probably just clinical depression. Chicago, St. Louis and Kansas City are still the best places to have the Blues. You cannot have the Blues in any place that don't get no rain.

8. A man with male pattern baldness ain't the Blues. A woman with male pattern baldness is.. Breaking your leg 'cause you were skiing is not the Blues. Breaking your leg 'cause a alligator be chomping on it is.

9. You can't have no Blues in an office or a shopping mall. The lighting is wrong. Go outside to the parking lot or sit by the dumpster.

10. Good places for the Blues: a. highway b.jailhouse c.empty bed d. bottom of a whiskey glass

11. Bad places for the Blues: a. Nordstrom's b. gallery openings c. Ivy League institutions d. golf courses

12. No one will believe it's the Blues if you wear a suit, 'less you happen to be an old person, and you slept in it.

13. Do you have the right to sing the Blues? Yes, if: a. you're older than dirt b. you're blind c. you shot a man in Memphis d. you can't be satisfied

No, if a. you have all your teeth b. you were once blind but now can see c.the man in Memphis lived d. you have a 401K or trust fund

14. Blues is not a matter of color. It's a matter of bad luck. Tiger Woods cannot sing the Blues. Sonny Liston could have. Ugly white people also got a leg up on the Blues.

15. If you ask for water and your darlin' gives you gasoline, it's the Blues. Other acceptable Blues beverages are: a cheap wine b.whiskey or bourbon c. muddy water d. black coffee The following are NOT Blues beverages: a. Perrier b.Chardonnay c.Snapple d. Slim Fast

16. If death occurs in a cheap motel or a shotgun shack, it's a Blues death.
Stabbed in the back by a jealous lover is another Blues way to die. So are
the electric chair, substance abuse and dying lonely on a broken-down cot.
You can't have a Blues death if you die during a tennis match or while
getting liposuction.

17. Some Blues names for women: a. Sadie b. Big Mama c. Bessie
d. Fat River Dumpling

18. Some Blues names for men: a. Joe b. Willie c. Little Willie d. Big Willie e. Brotha Ken

19. Persons with names like Michelle, Amber, Jennifer, Debbie, and Heather
can't sing the Blues no matter how many men they shoot in Memphis.

20. Blues Name Starter Kit: a. name of physical infirmity (Blind, Mute,
Lame, etc.) b. first name (see above) plus name of fruit (Lemon, Lime,
Kiwi, etc.) c. last name of President (Jefferson, Johnson, Fillmore, Clinton,
etc.) For example: Blind Lime Jefferson, Pegleg Lemon Johnson or Lame Kiwi Clinton, etc. (Well, maybe not "Kiwi.")

21. I don't care how tragic your life is: if you own a computer, you cannot
sing the blues, period. Sorry!

jim goulding
09-11-2007, 08:28 AM
"I'd rather drink muddy water and sleep out in a hollow log". "Yu're over laughlin when things ain't funny, yu tryin to sound like big money". You're introduction conjures up all kind of blues lines from my memory. If they give out awards around here for good writing, you have my vote! Really nice work. Let's talk some blues here. Buddy Guy, Albert Collins, Johnny "Guitar" Watson . . "Yes sir brother sherrif, and that's yur wife on the back of my horse" (Gangster of Love), Freddie King (Dallas' own), Willie Dixon (everybody from Gil Evans to Cream has recorded sumthin by this cat. Blues begat the whole English rock scene. Love this stuff! Anybody else?

Feanor
09-11-2007, 08:49 AM
Found this Online and thought it's pretty funny.....

Blues 101

If you are new to Blues music, or like it but never really understood the whys and wherefores, here are some very fundamental rules:

Blues, thanks for that. Explains the Blues to me pretty well

I guess I'm excluded from sing the Blues on a couple points, e.g. I'm in Canada. But not many when you get right down to it, e.g. I'm as old as dirt, poor, and don't drink Perrier.

My name isn't proscriptive either: "Bill Bailey", what do you think?

Luvin Da Blues
09-11-2007, 08:56 AM
Blues, thanks for that.

I'm excluded from sing the Blues on a couple points, I guess, e.g. I'm in Canada. But not many when you get down to it, e.g. I'm as old as dirt, poor, and don't drink Perrier.

How 'bout "Blind Bill Bailey" :arf:

basite
09-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Blues, thanks for that.

I'm excluded from sing the Blues on a couple points, I guess, e.g. I'm in Canada. But not many when you get down to it, e.g. I'm as old as dirt, poor, and don't drink Perrier.

And you own a computer...

great rules btw, I'm starting to understand :)

now where's that BB king album...

Luvin Da Blues
09-11-2007, 09:04 AM
"I'd rather drink muddy water and sleep out in a hollow log". "Yu're over laughlin when things ain't funny, yu tryin to sound like big money". You're introduction conjures up all kind of blues lines from my memory. If they give out awards around here for good writing, you have my vote! Really nice work. Let's talk some blues here. Buddy Guy, Albert Collins, Johnny "Guitar" Watson . . "Yes sir brother sherrif, and that's yur wife on the back of my horse" (Gangster of Love), Freddie King (Dallas' own), Willie Dixon (everybody from Gil Evans to Cream has recorded sumthin by this cat. Blues begat the whole English rock scene. Love this stuff! Anybody else?

Hey Jim, How's it going?

Guessed you missed my thread...All Things Blue..or Jazz..or R&B. Please add your thoughts to this. I've probably forgotten more than I remember from some blues artists and could use a reminder on some of these guys...speakin of guys, what 'bout Buddy Guy? FWIW..ya gotta love Johnny "Guitar" Watson...one of my favs.

Cheers, LDB

Feanor
09-11-2007, 09:06 AM
How 'bout "Blind Bill Bailey" :arf:

I gotta pass on the 'Blind' part. And like Bert says I own a computer; three, in fact.

basite
09-11-2007, 09:16 AM
FWIW..ya gotta love Johnny "Guitar" Watson...one of my favs.

Cheers, LDB

although I only have 3 of his albums, it's one of my favourite blues/funk artists too :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

jim goulding
09-11-2007, 11:09 AM
I thought I'd get you on Johnny "Guitar" Watson but yer too good! I'll look for those other threads. A lot of stuff escapes me. I stuck a follow up message to you on my first reply seeins how I missed the part about "you found an article". Duh. I gotta treat for you . .
I have a copy of the first BB King record that I ever owned on Ace Records. I guess I was about 14. The treat is that Virgin has released a double CD called BB King's Original Greatest Hits and it includes all the tracks from the Ace album with a ton of other stuff from this period. Check our his singing on "Ten Long Years". No wonder the ladies loved him. Three O'clock Blues, sweet little angel, you upset me baby, did you ever love a woman, everyday i got the blues, sweet sixteen, 40 tracks in all. His voice is pure gold and his guitar playing had some bite back then.

Basite got 3 JGW albums. Bet one of em has "I'm gonna Ta- Ta You Baby? Too cool.

Rich-n-Texas
09-11-2007, 11:43 AM
How 'bout Blind Melon Chitlon? :biggrin5:

Luvin Da Blues
09-11-2007, 12:51 PM
Basite got 3 JGW albums. Bet one of em has "I'm gonna Ta- Ta You Baby? Too cool.

and A Real Mother for Ya...great riff

Luvin Da Blues
09-11-2007, 07:09 PM
His voice is pure gold and his guitar playing had some bite back then.

As much as I like ol' BB I have found that his more recent stuff has become too predictable and ..I hate to say it..but a bit boring and lacks any "real" blues feel. Guess it's hard to be successful as a blues artist for so long and still maintain the hardship story telling that got them there.

Cheers

basite
09-12-2007, 06:02 AM
and A Real Mother for Ya...great riff

A real mother for ya rules :)

BB king, lessee, only album I can find in my near surroundings is "blues on the bayou" it's pretty good, but I more like JGW :)

jim goulding
09-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Whadda think I was 14 lately? This CD I spoke about is from stuff the blues boy did in the 50's. He couldn't have been more than 19 or 20 but he rated a horn section. Got some Junior Parker from that period, too. You ever hear an R&B tune from that day called "Pledging My Love? Need I say by Johnny Ace? Along with "Smokestack Lightin" (which I know you love) that's about as honest and direct as it gets. Both those tunes resonate my heart strings every time I hear them. Permanent beauty, huh. Give us some more to think about. Thanks, dude.

Basite- Blues dog! If you gotta mind to, you can get that CD at amazon.com.

Luvin Da Blues
09-13-2007, 03:55 AM
Whadda think I was 14 lately? This CD I spoke about is from stuff the blues boy did in the 50's. He couldn't have been more than 19 or 20 but he rated a horn section. Got some Junior Parker from that period, too. You ever hear an R&B tune from that day called "Pledging My Love? Need I say by Johnny Ace? Along with "Smokestack Lightin" (which I know you love) that's about as honest and direct as it gets. Both those tunes resonate my heart strings every time I hear them. Permanent beauty, huh. Give us some more to think about. Thanks, dude.

Basite- Blues dog! If you gotta mind to, you can get that CD at amazon.com.

Hey Jim, no disrespect to ya, just pointing out my observations on BB and his lady Lucille. He played in my town a few months back.

Thanks for the tip on Johnny Ace

Ok, how 'bout Jimmie Vaughan..Stevie's brother. a little more mellow than his bro...good stuff...check out the tune - Out There

jim goulding
09-13-2007, 07:53 AM
I mean bro Blues! None takin, my man. Glad to see somebody is getting out and attending concerts. Sure, I'm familiar with Jimmy Vaughn and his work with The Fabulous Thunderbirds . . I'm from Texas! I don't want to derail your thread Blues, like you, I love this music, but I do want to converse with you about that Oppo DVD player that I just noticed you use. Suggestions?

Little Willie John, Junior Wells, et al, and anybody think as much as I do about Angela Strehli, a white chick from Austin (now S.F.) who can really sing it? She uses a cat named Derek O'Brien on guitar on "Blond & Blue" (Rounder, 1993). He's one of those tightly wound, high intensity players that burns up the place. Bonnie Raitt said she is the best of white chick blues singers in her opinion.

Ya'll keep em coming! Thanks

bobsticks
09-13-2007, 08:49 AM
I love me some blues. My catalogue isn't as deep as it is in other genres, and I'm probably not the most conversant in historical issues, but I know what I like when I hear it.
And yeah, BB's had some issues on the last several but I though t "Reflections" was O.K.

If y'all get the chance, check out some of the 24/96 DAD Classics remixes. John Lee Hooker's "Mr. Lucky" and "Boom Boom" sound fantastic. If you wanna go really old-school Jimmy Rushing All Stars' "Gee, Baby Ain't I Good To You" is amazing for a recording done in 1967.

Luvin Da Blues
09-15-2007, 05:17 AM
Hey Jim, here's a couple for ya

Etta James...she's the Queen of Da Blues IMHO. Does any lady do it better????

Right now I'm listening to Gary Moore - Still Got the Blues. I'm sure he's Texan, have you ever seen him live?

and of course the late great Canadian Dutch Mason.

Thoughts?

Luvin Da Blues
09-15-2007, 05:20 AM
Sorry Jim, missed the part 'bout my OPPO.

I bought this based on reviews and price only. I couldn't be happier especially considering the price.

Luvin Da Blues
09-15-2007, 06:30 AM
I gotta pass on the 'Blind' part. And like Bert says I own a computer; three, in fact.

I was only jokin Feanor..it was the only one that seemed to fit with Bill Bailey

pixelthis
09-16-2007, 12:09 AM
Priceless.
Let me ask you, if the Stones had been black, would they have been a "blues" group?
This is what they insist on.
When asked about playing at such an advanced age, KEITH Richards said
(paraphrasing) "if we were a bunch of blind old N***** it wouldn't be a problem":1:

musicman1999
09-16-2007, 01:43 AM
Hey Jim, here's a couple for ya

Etta James...she's the Queen of Da Blues IMHO. Does any lady do it better????

Right now I'm listening to Gary Moore - Still Got the Blues. I'm sure he's Texan, have you ever seen him live?

and of course the late great Canadian Dutch Mason.

Thoughts?

Ldb
I am a huge Gary Moore fan and have been for years.That record is fantastic,the title track in particular.Sorry but Gary is very British,he used to be in Thin Lizzy for a few years,if you can believe that.He has several other blues albums, including a blistering live set called Blues Alive, it is amazing. Seek out more of his stuff,he has also released some hard rock stuff that is very good including an album with Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce.He has also done some live stuff with Albert King and Albert Collins.I have not seen him live but would leap at the chance.

bill

PeruvianSkies
09-16-2007, 01:48 AM
So, when do the Blues 102 classes begin?

Luvin Da Blues
09-16-2007, 01:59 AM
Priceless.
Let me ask you, if the Stones had been black, would they have been a "blues" group?
This is what they insist on.
When asked about playing at such an advanced age, KEITH Richards said
(paraphrasing) "if we were a bunch of blind old N***** it wouldn't be a problem":1:

I guess I think of the stones as a Blues band as much as a R&R group also, maybe more.

Luvin Da Blues
09-16-2007, 02:01 AM
Ldb
I am a huge Gary Moore fan and have been for years.That record is fantastic,the title track in particular.Sorry but Gary is very British,he used to be in Thin Lizzy for a few years,if you can believe that.He has several other blues albums, including a blistering live set called Blues Alive, it is amazing. Seek out more of his stuff,he has also released some hard rock stuff that is very good including an album with Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce.He has also done some live stuff with Albert King and Albert Collins.I have not seen him live but would leap at the chance.

bill

Thanks for straightening me out musicman1999 and I will be checking him out more. :yesnod:

Luvin Da Blues
09-16-2007, 02:03 AM
So, when do the Blues 102 classes begin?

at 3:00 pm in the Arts Building:arf:

PeruvianSkies
09-16-2007, 02:07 AM
I guess I think of the stones as a Blues band as much as a R&R group also, maybe more.

Yeah, even Chuck Berry recognized Keith Richards as a more bluesy player than just straight-up Rock N' Roll, I would also say the same towards Jimmy Page, I mean most of his riffs, solos, etc are core blues stuff...then of course you have songs like BRON Y AUR STOMP, HATS OFF TO ROY HARPER, HOW MANY MORE TIMES, etc etc that are just flat-out awesome blues.

Luvin Da Blues
09-16-2007, 02:13 AM
I would also say the same towards Jimmy Page, I mean most of his riffs, solos, etc are core blues stuff...then of course you have songs like BRON Y AUR STOMP, HATS OFF TO ROY HARPER, HOW MANY MORE TIMES, etc etc that are just flat-out awesome blues.

...all the way back to the Yardbirds. :thumbsup:

PeruvianSkies
09-16-2007, 02:15 AM
...all the way back to the Yardbirds. :thumbsup:

Absolutely! To me, Blues works so well in a Rock N' Roll setting because both are raw expressions that compliment one another so well. It's hard to listen to just about any classic rock without hearing some sort of blues-inspired section here or there.

Luvin Da Blues
09-16-2007, 02:21 AM
The blues planted the seed for a few genres...R&R for one and along with soul to make R&B. Of course there is strong influences in Jazz and Country

musicman1999
09-16-2007, 02:31 AM
Absolutely! To me, Blues works so well in a Rock N' Roll setting because both are raw expressions that compliment one another so well. It's hard to listen to just about any classic rock without hearing some sort of blues-inspired section here or there.

With out the blues,rock and roll would not exsist.

bill

PeruvianSkies
09-16-2007, 04:11 AM
With out the blues,rock and roll would not exsist.

bill

Without classical blues wouldn't exist...do you want to play this game all day long?

musicman1999
09-16-2007, 06:30 AM
Without classical blues wouldn't exist...do you want to play this game all day long?

??
Never heard that one before.

bill

Fred333
09-18-2007, 07:00 AM
Wow... the Blues are the root of all the music of today. If you want to go back with classical then you could say that beating the gourdes of the caveman was the root of everything. LOL.

jim goulding
09-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Thanks, Blues and Musicman . . I'll be looking up that player and have high expectations. I don't know this artist. But, I'm gonna get acquainted. I live in the fourth largest market in the country and we have mostly traditional blues on FM for half a day on Sundays. The best program the station has ever had in my opinion started 6AM and was off by 7AM. Seeing how I don't normally get up that early or stay out that late, I don't even know if that cat is still on. Another good DJ named Nouri Nouri is on from 12PM to 3PM who plays contemporary artists. We do a few dedicated clubs. tho. I mention this cause I'd like to have more!