Suggestions for a new speaker system [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a new speaker system

goatspeed
02-25-2004, 12:30 PM
Hello folks. I've been a long time reader of this board, and appreciate all the good diolouge here. I would like to ask your opinions on what other speaker brands to try out. I'm looking to upgrade my 7.1 system. My budget is 2500. I've gone to a few different local audio/video stores including Ultimate Electronics and some smaller ma n' pops shops. So far, I really like the sound of the Klipch RF25's for front speakers. A full "25" system is within my budget, but I don't think I'd get a Klipsch sub necessarily. I hear so much good stuff here about HSU that I'd probably go that way. I'm interested in Veladyne also per the "subwoofer" post that is up right now. My receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR901, and this system as I said will be 7.1. Also, I'm coming from using a Bose AM 15+VCS10 Center+601 Series 4 setup for my 7.1 now.

I'm trying to put my finger on what I liked about the Klipsch speakers. I don't have the trained ear that you folks seem to have. There was something about the punch to those Klipsch speakers I liked. I listend to some Kefs in comparison and I didn't care for something about the Kef sound..something high pitched (perhaps I'm a dog). There were alot of speakers by Energy, Definitive Tech, and Infinity that sounded great, but didn't jump out at me like the Klipsch ones.

What are the Klipsch speakers known for? What other brands might I check out that may have these same qualities? Thanks in advance.

RGA
02-25-2004, 01:20 PM
Nothing wrong with Klipsch - they have high sensitivity easy to drive. Not everyone loves the Horn sound...but they do have a certain vibrancy and involvment that many others don't. IMO.

Just keep listening...you may find something you like better...but Klipsch is a solid brand that's lasted many many decades. Certainly for home theater and rock music run of lower powered amps or receivers I would think Klipsch should be on one's list to audition.

Worf101
02-25-2004, 01:25 PM
Take your time, do an "in-home" audition if you can. Don't be in a hurry and make sure you like what you hear in your living or listening room "before" you buy. I've never bought "new" speakers cept for center channels and sub's so I've had both good and bad experiences with this. But that's me advice...

Da Worfster :o

goatspeed
03-14-2004, 04:08 PM
I auditioned a pair of B&W 603's this weekend, as well as a pair of Energy C-9's. I found the C-9's a bit overpowering in the lows for my taste. Much to my surprise, I was completely blown away by the B&W's. They were as vibrant in the highs as the RF25's, and filled out the middles better. What is it exactly that people *don't* like about these speakers (in the price range)?

RGA
03-14-2004, 05:36 PM
Quite frankly B&W would be my choice in this price range. The 600 series is a solid as it gets. Some do pyrotechnics better but often sound harsher.

manek
03-15-2004, 04:54 AM
nothing wrong with the B&W's.....you like them...you buy them........they are built very well also.