My turn... NEW TOY! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My turn... NEW TOY!

Rich-n-Texas
09-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Well, it's nothing on the same scale as some recent purchases in the community but nevertheless I'm now the proud owner of a Logitech Harmony 880 Universal remote, and I want to share some of my thoughts about it. It was in my cart for quite a while and I'd been watching the price, so when it got down to where I could afford it without second thought I pulled the trigger. It has since gone back up about $13.00 so I think my timing was right as well.

First off I was pleased with how much attention was paid to the packaging. The remote itself was placed in clam shell plastic and in a sturdy cardboard box. The big plus here was that by pulling out the three or four staples holding the two sections of plastic together it was very easy to remove the remote. This is important to me because I just HATE the typical packaging that makes you have to get out the tin snips and hope you don't veer into some important text inside while cutting. And I also usually end up bleeding at some point when I get stabbed by a sharp edge hanging out.

The remote is almost identical in size and shape to the Tivo remote I got with DirecTV, with the DTV remote being slightly heavier but no more ergonomically comfortable than the 880. The 880 is very appealing from a visual standpoint; nice chrome like appointments where some of the function buttons are placed, which form a U shape around the display. The display itself, although smallish, is in a resolution that even I can interpret. BTW, the display is customizable with options for loading different background styles... pretty neat IMO.

Loading the software onto my PC, which can blow the doors off anything Apple can come up with at its price point, was a breeze and after it installed it went to the Logitech Harmony website to update the s/w to the latest rev. The update took all of maybe a minute to complete, with no hicups. After you create an account on the remote's website you can then start setting up the "Activity" keys which is where this remote shines. The manner in which the product IR codes are loaded, which come from the website after you identify your equipment, eliminates for the most part the need to 'learn' the remote with a particular component's own remote. There were a few cases though where I did have to go through that process as the 880 didn't recognize some of the individual device's functions. But after I did this and tried out the programmed buttons, everything that I wanted on and set to the proper states worked. I've still got to educate myself (read... L.J. WHAT THE HE!! DO I DO NOW?!?!?!) regarding some of the programming aspects since I only played around with it for an hour or so, but I'm confident that it's going to eventually eliminate the need for playing piano with the four, sometimes five remotes taking up space better used for holding beers and Margaritas on my coffee table.

Anyway, that's the long & short of it for now. I'll be sure to brag more about it when I become more familiar with all of its bells & whistles.

(Shameless plug): The Harmony 1000 Touch-screen remote has drastically dropped in price to the $250 range from about $500, so...

GMichael
09-07-2007, 11:59 AM
Sounds great. Someday I'll have to go down this same path.

Congrats on the new toy.

PeruvianSkies
09-07-2007, 12:45 PM
It's interesting how in this hobby there is pretty much only ONE thing that we don't want a lot of ....remote controls.

L.J.
09-07-2007, 01:03 PM
And may I add how reliable they are too. My kid dropped my entire remote in a cup of water last night and trust me it was soaked. I opened the battery compartment and water poured out. It stopped working shortly after. I dried it off and let it sit over night with the battery compartment open. Gave it a go this morning and it popped on like nothing had ever happened. Even my settings are all still there. Go figure.

Now I have to find a higher place to keep it.

Side note:Please don't try this out for yourself, your results may vary :cornut:

Rich-n-Texas
09-07-2007, 02:41 PM
It's interesting how in this hobby there is pretty much only ONE thing that we don't want a lot of ....remote controls.
Yeah, no joke. I feel like I'm in the middle of a game of Fossball (sp?) everytime I want to watch TV or listen to music.

P.S. PS... you were supposed to attack me. The highlighted text was FYI... :p

pixelthis
09-08-2007, 12:58 AM
Yeah, no joke. I feel like I'm in the middle of a game of Fossball (sp?) everytime I want to watch TV or listen to music.

To get a universal remote is the beginning of HT knowledge.
Before you just have an amalgamation of equipment, with a universal they start to work together, in a form of synergy, especially when you master macros, which do several things at once.
Another great thing about universals, the location of the buttons dont change, I have been through several DVD players since I got my pronto, I program the controls into the same buttons, do a little customizing and I'm ready to go.
A universal is an essential part of any decent HT and a lot think they can do without one,
but play your HT like a musical instrument with one remote for awhile and you won't be able to live without one.
Congrats:thumbsup:

pixelthis
09-08-2007, 01:00 AM
And peruvian has a rotten Apple?
Why am I NOT surprized!:out:

L.J.
09-08-2007, 07:10 AM
I've still got to educate myself (read... L.J. WHAT THE HE!! DO I DO NOW?!?!?!) regarding some of the programming aspects since I only played around with it for an hour or so, but I'm confident that it's going to eventually eliminate the need for playing piano with the four, sometimes five remotes taking up space better used for holding beers and Margaritas on my coffee table.

Well, did you get everything down yet? It took me awhile and I went through the FAQ section a couple of times but I have everything working perfectly. My wife loves it, and although the main reason I got it was for her (cough,cough) I wish I would have got one a long time ago.

pixelthis
09-09-2007, 12:11 AM
Well, did you get everything down yet? It took me awhile and I went through the FAQ section a couple of times but I have everything working perfectly. My wife loves it, and although the main reason I got it was for her (cough,cough) I wish I would have got one a long time ago.
I KINDA preach about a unified remote, you dont have a system until you get one,
most are resistant, but once you live with one for awhile you wonder how you got along without it:wink5:

musicman1999
09-09-2007, 02:17 AM
I but once you live with one for awhile you wonder how you got along without it:wink5:

Did you mean remote or wife?

bill

Rich-n-Texas
09-09-2007, 05:00 PM
In a word: no. Here's my first predicament... I want an activity that only turns my TV and receiver on, sets the TV's input to ANT-1 (which is where my OTA antenna is connected) and allows me to change channels using one button, the same as my TV's remote that I have "favorites" set up on. Also, because of my receiver's digital input limitations, I had to send the TV's digital coax out to the "CD In" on the receiver. How do I make the remote understand where the TV's audio is going and how do I set up my favorite channels so that when I pick the device in that activities components list I'll have a display showing either a Favorites button or all of my Favorite channels with their own corresponding button? Does that make sense? Thanx.

PeruvianSkies
09-09-2007, 05:22 PM
And peruvian has a rotten Apple?
Why am I NOT surprized!:out:

I suppose now you are going to tell me that Apple computers suck too....maybe they are made in the same factory as Canadian speakers where they screw them together.

PeruvianSkies
09-09-2007, 05:23 PM

I only attack those who deserve attacking.
and
GEEE I wonder
WHO that Could BE
I will GIVE you A HINT
about WHO that might BE, but
YOU will have to read between the LINES of what
I am typing here. GET IT.

musicman1999
09-09-2007, 05:56 PM
In a word: no. Here's my first predicament... I want an activity that only turns my TV and receiver on, sets the TV's input to ANT-1 (which is where my OTA antenna is connected) and allows me to change channels using one button, the same as my TV's remote that I have "favorites" set up on. Also, because of my receiver's digital input limitations, I had to send the TV's digital coax out to the "CD In" on the receiver. How do I make the remote understand where the TV's audio is going and how do I set up my favorite channels so that when I pick the device in that activities components list I'll have a display showing either a Favorites button or all of my Favorite channels with their own corresponding button? Does that make sense? Thanx.

When you set up your activity it will ask you what input on your reciever you want to use, just tell it CD and you won't have a problem same with the tv,if it did not delete the activity and run it again.If your origional remote had a favorites button you can assign an unused button on Harmony to handle this under customize buttons.

bill

Rich-n-Texas
09-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks Bill. I'll try that when I get home.

Maybe I should set up an account on my work computer... :ihih:

topspeed
09-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Congrats on your 880, Rich. One thing I noticed is that Harmony continuously updates their database so it's a good idea to go back once in a while and log on with your remote plugged in. For example, when I went in to program the sequence for starting our Wii, it actually updated the font and format of the AVR control buttons as well. This was really cool because I had been meaning to re-arrange the buttons as the original layout was utterly cryptic. Harmony had simplified the layout considerably and buttons were now logically organized, which a lot more than I can say for the original format. This for a 4 year old AVR!

There is a website that provides small avatars that you can download onto the 880 for your "Favorites" buttons. This way, you can use ESPN, HBO, Cartoon Network, or numerous other channel's logos instead of just the number. It looks really cool and is very easy to do. I can't remember the site address, but just google it and it should be easy to find.

One other tip; the 880 is a finicky little sunuvagun about sitting on the charging base. Every month or so, get a Qtip and clean out the small contact recess on the base and the contacts on the remote. The slightest dust build-up will cause the remote to not connect correctly and therefore not charge.

Hope this helps.

Rich-n-Texas
09-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Thanks TS. All the hints and tips I can get here will certainly help because it looks like at this point I've got a lot of work to do before I get this thing to do everything it's capable of.

Y'all should be proud of me... I installed album art from Pink Floyd's "The Wall" as my background image. Looks cool! :D

pixelthis
09-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Did you mean remote or wife?

bill
My girlfriends have all eventually said the same thing, me or that D@$#&^
stereo!
I sure miss all of them, but no wife, no WAF (waf: Wife Acceptance Factor)
As for MACS they ARE toys, integrated pieces of crapolla, pretty much like the Harmony remote they are intended for those who don't care to get their hands dirty.
But at least the Harmony has introduced many to the joys of a unified remote.
You can sit at your MAC (Macs Are Crap) and "download" whatever the good folks
at Harmony decide to let you have, I'll keep composing configuration files on my Pronto edit, using the computer I built, a P.C with three hard drives and a lightscribe DVD burner,
soon to be augmented by a RAID based server with four 500gb drives:thumbsup:

And MACS arent built, they're grown in PODS:p

Rich-n-Texas
09-11-2007, 10:28 AM
My girlfriends have all eventually said the same thing, me or that D@$#&^
stereo!
I sure miss all of them, but no wife, no WAF (waf: Wife Acceptance Factor)
As for MACS they ARE toys, integrated pieces of crapolla, pretty much like the Harmony remote they are intended for those who don't care to get their hands dirty.
But at least the Harmony has introduced many to the joys of a unified remote.
You can sit at your MAC (Macs Are Crap) and "download" whatever the good folks
at Harmony decide to let you have, I'll keep composing configuration files on my Pronto edit, using the computer I built, a P.C with three hard drives and a lightscribe DVD burner,
soon to be augmented by a RAID based server with four 500gb drives:thumbsup:

And MACS arent built, they're grown in PODS:p
I took you off my ignore list for this?!?!?! First you're kind enough to congratulate me on my purchase, then you almost immediately bad-mouth the product. WTF???

And... did you mean the GOOD FOLKS AT LOGITECH??? :idea:

Time to flip the switch again...

L.J.
09-11-2007, 10:28 AM
Sorry I didn't get back to you Rich. Musicman and Top broke it down pretty nicely for ya though.

Rich-n-Texas
09-11-2007, 10:32 AM
I'm just getting started L.J. Not to worry. :thumbsup:

Rich-n-Texas
09-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Quick question:

I have the DirecTV R-10 satellite receiver/PVR. Should I tell the remote that it's a PVR device or a satellite receiver device? I think there are different settings depending on which type it's called right? I tried both but neither gave me the device control buttons I was expecting to see.

musicman1999
09-12-2007, 12:24 PM
I have a cable dvr and i told the remote it was a dvr and it works great.Btw those folks at Logitech are great if you ever need them,the best tech support i have ever used by far.

bill

Rich-n-Texas
09-13-2007, 10:59 AM
I deleted the Satellite device and added a new "DTV"(PVR) device and it seems now I have more functionality with it. Not 100% sure though because some of the soft keys aren't performing the operation I'd expect, but that's okay, I'll get things figured out eventually.

It took me awhile and I went through the FAQ section a couple of times but I have everything working perfectly.
Yes, it looks like the FAQ section will be the most help. I noticed that the manual which I downloaded makes references to things on the remote home page that aren't there. For instance: the manual tells me I can add favorite channels by clicking on the "My Preferences" button, but for one thing the button label is just "Preferences", and the only preferences I get to change are account info. Maybe I'm misunderstanding it, or maybe they don't update the manuals as frequently as the s/w.

There's an entire forum on the AVS site (you know, the site where L.J. spends ALL of his time these days...) dedicated to remote controls, and a topic was started that is currently over 2900 posts long strictly for talk about the 880.

Oh, BTW, I think I have the remote with the redesigned charging stand. The contacts on the back of the remote are in what I'd refer to as a box that's offset from the rest of the housing, and the contacts in the stand are in a recess matching the box. The remote seems to fit just fine. I like the fact that the stand does have some weight to it and it sits quite still on the shelf thanks to the soft rubber feet. :thumbsup:

L.J.
09-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Yes, it looks like the FAQ section will be the most help. I noticed that the manual which I downloaded makes references to things on the remote home page that aren't there. For instance: the manual tells me I can add favorite channels by clicking on the "My Preferences" button, but for one thing the button label is just "Preferences", and the only preferences I get to change are account info. Maybe I'm misunderstanding it, or maybe they don't update the manuals as frequently as the s/w.

Ya know, I never even looked at the manual. The FAQ section answered any questions I had and you can find a link to the channel icons TS was talking about there.

There's an entire forum on the AVS site (you know, the site where L.J. spends ALL of his time these days...) dedicated to remote controls, and a topic was started that is currently over 2900 posts long strictly for talk about the 880.

:prrr:

Rich-n-Texas
09-13-2007, 03:48 PM
Took ya long enough. :biggrin5:

pixelthis
09-13-2007, 11:06 PM
I took you off my ignore list for this?!?!?! First you're kind enough to congratulate me on my purchase, then you almost immediately bad-mouth the product. WTF???

And... did you mean the GOOD FOLKS AT LOGITECH??? :idea:

Time to flip the switch again...
Sorry Rich, but like peruvians girlfriends everythings relative.
For the price harmony aint that bad, at least they're introducing more people to the goodness of a universal remote.
And didn't you know?
EVERYTHING audio related is directly (or indirectly) owned by Harmon international,
or soon will be:(

PeruvianSkies
09-13-2007, 11:09 PM
Sorry Rich, but like peruvians girlfriends everythings relative.
For the price harmony aint that bad, at least they're introducing more people to the goodness of a universal remote.
And didn't you know?
EVERYTHING audio related is directly (or indirectly) owned by Harmon international,
or soon will be:(

I didn't realize that I had a girlfriend...I wonder if my wife knows? Hmmm. Nice attempt at humor though, although it only comes across as childish antics from our resident troll. Apparently you live in your own little world because i'm not the one around here with a bright red glowing reputation, which means no one really takes anything you say as for more than a few wasted...pixels worth.

pixelthis
09-13-2007, 11:15 PM
I didn't realize that I had a girlfriend...I wonder if my wife knows? Hmmm. Nice attempt at humor though, although it only comes across as childish antics from our resident troll. Apparently you live in your own little world because i'm not the one around here with a bright red glowing reputation, which means no one really takes anything you say as for more than a few wasted...pixels worth.
Well, when the opinions of others matter a little less to you, maybe you will develope
a few of your own.
And you have a wife? Cousin or neice?:confused5:

PeruvianSkies
09-13-2007, 11:18 PM
Well, when the opinions of others matter a little less to you, maybe you will develope
a few of your own.
And you have a wife? Cousin or neice?:confused5:

Again, nice try. Here's a tip that I don't think they taught in Bama....

The word "N-I-E-C-E"

Remember the rule: "I" before "E" except after "C".

pixelthis
09-13-2007, 11:26 PM
Again, nice try. Here's a tip that I don't think they tough in Bama....

The word "N-I-E-C-E"

Remember the rule: "I" before "E" except after "C".

taught T-A-U-G-H-T
Should have learned that the second time they held you back in the second grade

PeruvianSkies
09-13-2007, 11:32 PM
taught T-A-U-G-H-T
Should have learned that the second time they held you back in the second grade

At least I fix my mistakes, instead of living with them. Now go away troll.

pixelthis
09-13-2007, 11:39 PM
At least I fix my mistakes, instead of living with them. Now go away troll.

Somebodies gotta stay around and keep you on your toes (that is plural isn't it)?

PeruvianSkies
09-13-2007, 11:44 PM
Somebodies gotta stay around and keep you on your toes (that is plural isn't it)?

That's OK, no need to do me any favors...you can quietly leave and no one would miss you. OR, stay around and actually contribute in a healthy manner to this site, which thus far you seem incapable of and the responses from others only prove that further. The reason we have issues with you is because of the way you come across. If you could just tweak that it wouldn't be an issue, but instead you insist on being ignorant with your opinions, which you pass off as either fact or a prediction of the future, neither of which are 100% guaranteed to be true.

For the life of me I don't understand why you can't just play by the rules around here and just blend in. It can't be fun being the resident troll. If you want people to respect you and actually respect what you have to say on this hobby, than you seriously need to change your ways a bit. That's just my advice, not that you asked or that you are even going to consider taking it, but I am throwing it out there.

L.J.
09-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Took ya long enough. :biggrin5:

I've been around. Just been doing alot of reading lately. Thinking about picking up an integrated amp with HT passthrough.

Rich-n-Texas
09-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Cool! Another review coming soon? Some worthwhile reading again? :thumbsup:

pixelthis
09-15-2007, 10:52 PM
That's OK, no need to do me any favors...you can quietly leave and no one would miss you. OR, stay around and actually contribute in a healthy manner to this site, which thus far you seem incapable of and the responses from others only prove that further. The reason we have issues with you is because of the way you come across. If you could just tweak that it wouldn't be an issue, but instead you insist on being ignorant with your opinions, which you pass off as either fact or a prediction of the future, neither of which are 100% guaranteed to be true.

For the life of me I don't understand why you can't just play by the rules around here and just blend in. It can't be fun being the resident troll. If you want people to respect you and actually respect what you have to say on this hobby, than you seriously need to change your ways a bit. That's just my advice, not that you asked or that you are even going to consider taking it, but I am throwing it out there.

Thats really funny.
I think the main problem is I threaten your ego.
I have been doing this sort of thing for four decades, and have forgotten more about this stuff than you will probably know, and you know that, you really do.
Thats the problem with coming to a new site, people think you're a newborn because
you just started posting.
Well, I took several of your precious CRT televisions apart and put them back together,
IN THE 1970'S.
The precursor to those "great" pioneer receivers you talk about, the SX- series, they were made before Pioneer sold out to the mass market. The stuff they put out today looks like toys by comparison. They use IC chips instead of discrete componets whenever possibe,
much like Sony does. This is called "progress".
I have seen dozens of so called "formats" come and go, and have gotten to where I can tell which will stay, and which will go. This is financial preservation, you get tired of shelling out money for stuff that wont be around too long, its this experience, hard won,
which shows me just what will be gone in a few years.
The moon landing is history for you, I watched it live, I was 12 years old.
And some of the stuff I say is "ignorant" to you just because you don't understand
enough to know what I'm talking about, and thats YOUR problem
As for "troll" behaviour well, YOU'RE the one who keeps attacking ME, I only respond
to your drivel, which is plentifull.
You think the secret of a great "HT" is shelling out a ton of money, well, I could put together a better system than your uninspired, poorly integrated junk with my milk money
I just wish someone would change your diaper, might improve your disposition:dita:

PeruvianSkies
09-15-2007, 11:02 PM
Thats really funny.
I think the main problem is I threaten your ego.
I have been doing this sort of thing for four decades, and have forgotten more about this stuff than you will probably know, and you know that, you really do.
Thats the problem with coming to a new site, people think you're a newborn because
you just started posting.
Well, I took several of your precious CRT televisions apart and put them back together,
IN THE 1970'S.
The precursor to those "great" pioneer receivers you talk about, the SX- series, they were made before Pioneer sold out to the mass market. The stuff they put out today looks like toys by comparison. They use IC chips instead of discrete componets whenever possibe,
much like Sony does. This is called "progress".
I have seen dozens of so called "formats" come and go, and have gotten to where I can tell which will stay, and which will go. This is financial preservation, you get tired of shelling out money for stuff that wont be around too long, its this experience, hard won,
which shows me just what will be gone in a few years.
The moon landing is history for you, I watched it live, I was 12 years old.
And some of the stuff I say is "ignorant" to you just because you don't understand
enough to know what I'm talking about, and thats YOUR problem
As for "troll" behaviour well, YOU'RE the one who keeps attacking ME, I only respond
to your drivel, which is plentifull.
You think the secret of a great "HT" is shelling out a ton of money, well, I could put together a better system than your uninspired, poorly integrated junk with my milk money
I just wish someone would change your diaper, might improve your disposition:dita:

Again, you are making an opinion about what I have without knowing anything about it. You trash talk my stuff, yet you don't even post pictures of what you have, so everyone just assumes what you have is true, which if it is...so what. You haven't even heard my system...so what do you know about it? Nor do you know how hard I've worked for what I have and made investments into it, but if you want to write it off, so be it, you are the fool for judging something without hearing it. Just typical. You think that just because you are older, that you know everything and that makes you a bigger fool than you think. A wise-man is willing to accept the things that he doesn't know in an attempt to gain knowledge from the areas that he knows nothing about. A fool thinks he's wise by not accepting the things that he knows nothing about and therefore only thinks that he knows everything because he hasn't accepted the fact that there is more to learn.

pixelthis
09-15-2007, 11:13 PM
Again, you are making an opinion about what I have without knowing anything about it. You trash talk my stuff, yet you don't even post pictures of what you have, so everyone just assumes what you have is true, which if it is...so what. You haven't even heard my system...so what do you know about it? Nor do you know how hard I've worked for what I have and made investments into it, but if you want to write it off, so be it, you are the fool for judging something without hearing it. Just typical. You think that just because you are older, that you know everything and that makes you a bigger fool than you think. A wise-man is willing to accept the things that he doesn't know in an attempt to gain knowledge from the areas that he knows nothing about. A fool thinks he's wise by not accepting the things that he knows nothing about and therefore only thinks that he knows everything because he hasn't accepted the fact that there is more to learn.
:confused5:

Whatever.
I do know that I KNOW BUT A FRACTION OF WHAT I CAN KNOW about audio, video
or life.
And that fraction is a great deal more than you will ever possess.
And when I finish refurbing my rather modest set of gear, my "kit" as the English refer to it,
I promise you will see pictures:Yawn:

PeruvianSkies
09-15-2007, 11:16 PM
:confused5:

Whatever.
I do know that I KNOW BUT A FRACTION OF WHAT I CAN KNOW about audio, video
or life.
And that fraction is a great deal more than you will ever possess.
And when I finish refurbing my rather modest set of gear, my "kit" as the English refer to it,
I promise you will see pictures:Yawn:

Still doesn't change the fact that you are a troll. Interesting how you think that I have this 'ego' when in fact you happen to be the one forming opinions and down-talking my stuff when you know nothing about it, you have no direct experience with my equipment nor do you sit and listen to it, so how can you form a proper opinion about it? Your experience alone doesn't qualify in this case, because every setup is different and making generalizations about what I have and thinking that it's "uninspired, poorly integrated junk" only shows just how ignorant you are to the world of HiFi.

PeruvianSkies
09-15-2007, 11:26 PM
It's taking you forever to type your response, must be a good one!

pixelthis
09-15-2007, 11:46 PM
Still doesn't change the fact that you are a troll. Interesting how you think that I have this 'ego' when in fact you happen to be the one forming opinions and down-talking my stuff when you know nothing about it, you have no direct experience with my equipment nor do you sit and listen to it, so how can you form a proper opinion about it? Your experience alone doesn't qualify in this case, because every setup is different and making generalizations about what I have and thinking that it's "uninspired, poorly integrated junk" only shows just how ignorant you are to the world of HiFi.
You see, thats your problem, you don't know ME.
Maybe your stuff is the best sounding thing since gabriels horn, but after a dozen or so
receivers of various types,(including TWO pioneers, one I found in a dumpster) three or four different turntables, god knows how many cassette, SVHS, laserdisc, DVD, CD,
players and so on, and speakers, GOD, I have had as many as three complete sets of surround at once. Started with Realistics optimus in the seventies when I was 15.
My "first" surround piece of gear was a breadboarded thing using resistors, seperated the difference information and fed it to amps, if I remember correctly.
Theres nothing new under the sun, your stuff uses the same class A or AB amps, if its any good the componets are discrete, your toshiba CRT is the same 30in hdtv that Samsung turns out for a half dozen different companies, I had the Samsung tau version,
nice if obsolete CRT tech. Since Toshiba cheapens everything to save cash I imagine your version isn't quite as good as mine.
And your PSB speakers came out of the same huge Canadian speaker industry as half a dozen others, there are differences but they are slight.
You see, electronics companies, in order to save money and gain economies of scale,
started working together and consolidating decades ago.
A lot of stuff is similar because its the SAME, the company just gives the specs they want and a few cosmetic features are added, the rest is marketing.
Your PSB is slightly better than Axioms, and paradigm is "better than your psb",
and since I have heard paradigms I dont think you have anything to brag about.
Sorry.
GM and other car companies started this type of manufacturing and marketing decades
ago, got busted awhile back for "badge engineering " they called it, selling what basically was Chevy as a Cadillac
Well, manufacturers today are basically doing the same thing.
There are a few small companies that survive, but most have been taken over, and what was once something original is now just more of the same mass marketed stuff.
Kinda like invasion of the body snatchers, except with audio/HT gear
Just because you paid a lot for your gear doesn't mean they paid a lot making it.
And thats just one of many things I know that you don't.
Oh, and I had three pioneer receivers if you count my first, a realistic model from the "shack", bought there because even then I knew that Pioneer made their receivers,
and they cost less. I knew that back then, you still don't know it.
BTW Keystone beer is the same as Coors, they just take it off the bottom of the vat,
kinda like Millers takes "milwalkees best" off of the bottom of their vats.
Iguess you stuff is somewhere in the middle of the vat:1:

PeruvianSkies
09-15-2007, 11:56 PM
You see, thats your problem, you don't know ME.
Maybe your stuff is the best sounding thing since gabriels horn, but after a dozen or so
receivers of various types,(including TWO pioneers, one I found in a dumpster) three or four different turntables, god knows how many cassette, SVHS, laserdisc, DVD, CD,
players and so on, and speakers, GOD, I have had as many as three complete sets of surround at once. Started with Realistics optimus in the seventies when I was 15.
My "first" surround piece of gear was a breadboarded thing using resistors, seperated the difference information and fed it to amps, if I remember correctly.
Theres nothing new under the sun, your stuff uses the same class A or AB amps, if its any good the componets are discrete, your toshiba CRT is the same 30in hdtv that Samsung turns out for a half dozen different companies, I had the Samsung tau version,
nice if obsolete CRT tech. Since Toshiba cheapens everything to save cash I imagine your version isn't quite as good as mine.
And your PSB speakers came out of the same huge Canadian speaker industry as half a dozen others, there are differences but they are slight.
You see, electronics companies, in order to save money and gain economies of scale,
started working together and consolidating decades ago.
A lot of stuff is similar because its the SAME, the company just gives the specs they want and a few cosmetic features are added, the rest is marketing.
Your PSB is slightly better than Axioms, and paradigm is "better than your psb",
and since I have heard paradigms I dont think you have anything to brag about.
Sorry.
GM and other car companies started this type of manufacturing and marketing decades
ago, got busted awhile back for "badge engineering " they called it, selling what basically was Chevy as a Cadillac
Well, manufacturers today are basically doing the same thing.
There are a few small companies that survive, but most have been taken over, and what was once something original is now just more of the same mass marketed stuff.
Kinda like invasion of the body snatchers, except with audio/HT gear
Just because you paid a lot for your gear doesn't mean they paid a lot making it.
And thats just one of many things I know that you don't.
Oh, and I had three pioneer receivers if you count my first, a realistic model from the "shack", bought there because even then I knew that Pioneer made their receivers,
and they cost less. I knew that back then, you still don't know it.
BTW Keystone beer is the same as Coors, they just take it off the bottom of the vat,
kinda like Millers takes "milwalkees best" off of the bottom of their vats.
Iguess you stuff is somewhere in the middle of the vat:1:

Car companies and beer....wow, you really just don't have a clue, which is why you revert to senseless babble and try to related audio to cars and beer, it's just gibberish. You seriously think that Paradigm makes a speaker that rivals the PSB Platinums? Really? Maybe they do, I'd be curious to find out. I've heard just about every speaker they make, but never did a side by side with the Platinums, I can tell you that the Stratus Gold's were definitely superior to the Paradigms and Definitive and B&W's that were in the showroom when I demoed a set of them. I can also tell you that the Platinums are superior to the Stratus line, so I doubt that Paradigm can come close, but again....maybe so.

So what's the name of the factory where my speakers came from ?

I could care less what you think of my TV. I bought it on sale, I don't claim to have a great TV, it gets the job done for now, I would much rather wait and make a good decision once the technology develops and prices come down for a better TV or projection system.

Ok, so now you are saying the PSB is 'slightly' better than Axiom, which means you are going against what you said before, which is that they are the same.

It took you about a half-hour to write your response...are you a really slow typer or just a slow thinker? Or both?

pixelthis
09-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Car companies and beer....wow, you really just don't have a clue, which is why you revert to senseless babble and try to related audio to cars and beer, it's just gibberish. You seriously think that Paradigm makes a speaker that rivals the PSB Platinums? Really? Maybe they do, I'd be curious to find out. I've heard just about every speaker they make, but never did a side by side with the Platinums, I can tell you that the Stratus Gold's were definitely superior to the Paradigms and Definitive and B&W's that were in the showroom when I demoed a set of them. I can also tell you that the Platinums are superior to the Stratus line, so I doubt that Paradigm can come close, but again....maybe so.

So what's the name of the factory where my speakers came from ?

I could care less what you think of my TV. I bought it on sale, I don't claim to have a great TV, it gets the job done for now, I would much rather wait and make a good decision once the technology develops and prices come down for a better TV or projection system.

Ok, so now you are saying the PSB is 'slightly' better than Axiom, which means you are going against what you said before, which is that they are the same.

It took you about a half-hour to write your response...are you a really slow typer or just a slow thinker? Or both?
I have a half a dozen browsers going right now, squashing a bug every once in awhile is low priority.
Look at the driver complement on those two pictures you posted of Axioms and PSB.
Its IDENTICAL, except one PSB driver is bigger, and PSB uses soft cone tweeters.
Thats it.
As for your TV I have given TOSHIBA several oportunities, and everything I ever nought from them broke or underperformed. A Toshiba DVd player was the only dvd player I ever had that had banding on the picture, and wouldn't play DTS tracks EVER.
Considering that you're Toshiba was probably built by someone else maybe you'll have better luck with it.
But I doubt it:sleep:

PeruvianSkies
09-18-2007, 04:45 AM
I have a half a dozen browsers going right now, squashing a bug every once in awhile is low priority.
Look at the driver complement on those two pictures you posted of Axioms and PSB.
Its IDENTICAL, except one PSB driver is bigger, and PSB uses soft cone tweeters.
Thats it.
As for your TV I have given TOSHIBA several oportunities, and everything I ever nought from them broke or underperformed. A Toshiba DVd player was the only dvd player I ever had that had banding on the picture, and wouldn't play DTS tracks EVER.
Considering that you're Toshiba was probably built by someone else maybe you'll have better luck with it.
But I doubt it:sleep:

Oh ok, I get it. So because two speakers look identical on the outside than they MUST sound the same. That's about the most amateurish assumption to ever make in the world of audio. Thousands of speakers look alike, the designs are not that radically different, but the technology below them is what makes them different.

GMichael
09-18-2007, 05:17 AM
Oh ok, I get it. So because two speakers look identical on the outside than they MUST sound the same. That's about the most amateurish assumption to ever make in the world of audio. Thousands of speakers look alike, the designs are not that radically different, but the technology below them is what makes them different.

What if they weight the same, or have the same color wood?

Rich-n-Texas
09-18-2007, 05:30 AM
I think ALL speaker manufacturers use Elmer's glue. Just like how ALL pizza shops in South Philly and South Jersey use pizza boxes made by one company, and enforced by the mob.

GMichael
09-18-2007, 05:47 AM
I think ALL speaker manufacturers use Elmer's glue. Just like how ALL pizza shops in South Philly and South Jersey use pizza boxes made by one company, and enforced by the mob.

Elmer's works great! Never mind that any of the yellow glues also work great.

I think that same box company sells to all the pizza joints up here too.
But they don't like to be called the mob anymore. They are just businessmen who happen to be good at the art of persuasion.

PeruvianSkies
09-18-2007, 06:44 AM

Yeah, that's it! Darker colored speakers sound darker and lighter ones sound lighter. I medium finish sounds more neutral of course. The bigger ones sound bigger and the smaller ones sound smaller. Also, if they are made in Canada they all comes from the same Gov't run factory, which screws them together in order to match the timber in the voices of all true Canadians, like Randy Travis, the National Canadian Factory Workers Spokesman.

GMichael
09-18-2007, 06:48 AM
Yeah, that's it! Darker colored speakers sound darker and lighter ones sound lighter. I medium finish sounds more neutral of course. The bigger ones sound bigger and the smaller ones sound smaller. Also, if they are made in Canada they all comes from the same Gov't run factory, which screws them together in order to match the timber in the voices of all true Canadians, like Randy Travis, the National Canadian Factory Workers Spokesman.

That's it! Now I know why Geddy's voice sounds so high on all of my Rush CD's They must have twisted the screws in too tight.

PeruvianSkies
09-18-2007, 07:00 AM
That's it! Now I know why Geddy's voice sounds so high on all of my Rush CD's They must have twisted the screws in too tight.

Dude, how could you be so silly. Didn't anyone tell you, every click to the right on the screws will take the vocals up an octave and same is true to the left, down an octave. You may have to go back and loosen those screws a bit, now the screws towards the top activate the high frequencies and so forth to the bottom speakers, so make sure that you are loosening them equally with one another.

Luvin Da Blues
09-18-2007, 07:08 AM
To achieve true high fidelity you have to swap out all the philips screws with slotted ones. It will reduce any sonic defractions.

Fred333
09-18-2007, 07:16 AM
Yea I found out the screw swapping issue last month when I was overhauling my entertainment center. It has helped a lot.

GMichael
09-18-2007, 07:29 AM
To achieve true high fidelity you have to swap out all the philips screws with slotted ones. It will reduce any sonic defractions.

That's why I replaced all of mine with Allen head screws. The round heads give the music a more symmetrical sound. Next time, rivets!

Rich-n-Texas
09-18-2007, 07:35 AM
How many inch-pounds did you torque them down to? Very important you know.

GMichael
09-18-2007, 08:37 AM
How many inch-pounds did you torque them down to? Very important you know.

Don't know. My torque wrench broke. So now I just twist until the corns on my feet start to hurt.

bobsticks
09-18-2007, 09:28 AM

That's why you put each on a scale counterweighted by a duck. If they weigh the same they must be a witch and therefore burned...

GMichael
09-18-2007, 09:40 AM
That's why you put each on a scale counterweighted by a duck. If they weigh the same they must be a witch and therefore burned...

Burned?
BURNED?!

That's blasphemy man!

bobsticks
09-18-2007, 09:55 AM
Burned?
BURNED?!

That's blasphemy man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

Rich-n-Texas
09-18-2007, 10:32 AM
You got me to watch that rap video Bobby, but I AIN'T biting this time!!!

bobsticks
09-18-2007, 10:43 AM
You got me to watch that rap video Bobby, but I AIN'T biting this time!!!

LOL, nah I'm just drawing some heat over there. Something different from the average "indie/jazz/prog/speed/whatever"...a good opportunity to take folks out of their comfort zone.

The above is a bit of humor based on the logic of one speaker looks like another so it must sound the same.

Rich-n-Texas
09-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Okay, I'll go look at it. I thought it was a video of someone torching their Maggie's or something.

(Must... Steer... This... Thread... Back... To... It's... Original... Topic...!!!)

PeruvianSkies
09-19-2007, 10:39 PM
Okay, I'll go look at it. I thought it was a video of someone torching their Maggie's or something.

(Must... Steer... This... Thread... Back... To... It's... Original... Topic...!!!)

Good luck turning this ship around!

pixelthis
09-20-2007, 12:54 AM
GEE, it really amazes me what happens when you attack the mythology held by a lot
of "audio enthusiasts". Hard to beleive that this hobby was started by critical
thinkers who could think for themselves and usually built their own equipment.
Now its populated by a bunch who can't look at two speakers with a similar
driver complement, built by the same conglomeration of industries and labs,
and be able to tell that their sound is probably very similar if not the same.
Both have six drivers, one has substituted a woofer (or passive radiator) in place of a
mid to increase bass a tad, otherwise thats it.
OH yeah! They ARE different!
With the PSB'S you get a free pen and a little book!
MY BAD!:prrr:

GMichael
09-20-2007, 05:03 AM
GEE, it really amazes me what happens when you attack the mythology held by a lot
of "audio enthusiasts". Hard to beleive that this hobby was started by critical
thinkers who could think for themselves and usually built their own equipment.
Now its populated by a bunch who can't look at two speakers with a similar
driver complement, built by the same conglomeration of industries and labs,
and be able to tell that their sound is probably very similar if not the same.
Both have six drivers, one has substituted a woofer (or passive radiator) in place of a
mid to increase bass a tad, otherwise thats it.
OH yeah! They ARE different!
With the PSB'S you get a free pen and a little book!
MY BAD!:prrr:

Here's an idea. Why not listen to them both to see if they sound the same? Just cause they look the same doesn't mean they sound the same. Otherwise, we'd all have Bic speakers. They look just as nice as a set of B&W's. I guess that means they are just as good? :mad2:

PeruvianSkies
09-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Here's an idea. Why not listen to them both to see if they sound the same? Just cause they look the same doesn't mean they sound the same. Otherwise, we'd all have Bic speakers. They look just as nice as a set of B&W's. I guess that means they are just as good? :mad2:

He isn't going to voluntarily do something that is only going to show his ignorance for this hobby. I have listened to both Axiom and PSB, but have much more experience with PSB of course. The Axioms that I heard were NOTHING like PSB, although the only model that might be similar in the PSB lineup would be the Image T55, but even that is a stretch. Axiom makes decent speakers and cater to people who want to spend less than most people on audio needs, but still want adequate quality and have options with colors and other features. This is why they offer a larger selection of models, finishes, and you can buy package deals as well.

PSB on the other hand has been making speakers for 30 years that have people scratching their heads at how something so inexpensive (by audio standards) could sound so good and compete with bigger buck speakers. No one in the world of audio denies Paul Barton's genius designs and speaker-making capabilities. Axiom also is a factory-direct company and you can order everything you need straight from their website, which also signifies that they cater to people who are going to buy their products without even listening to them, mostly on reputation or word of mouth, but primarily out of the options that they have and the price. Notice they even allow you to choose the grill color.

That being said, most of us on here (even newbies and such) understand that speakers that look alike do not sound alike and that it takes actual LISTENING to determine such things, and we are not talking about the same listening test that Pixelthis considers adequate: a few hours of Randy Travis.

Luvin Da Blues
09-20-2007, 11:37 AM
But...But...But...they look the same. LOL

Rich-n-Texas
09-20-2007, 12:16 PM
It gets to the point after a while that you just can't beat a dead horse any more deader than it already is.

pixelthis
09-20-2007, 11:51 PM
I have listened to both, and while similar, both do have different sonic characteristics.
My point is, that like "west coast sound" (JBL speakers) "english sound" (b&w, wharfdale,
rotel) and "boston sound" the electroncs industry is very "clubby".
THERE IS NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THESE TWO, because both companies
share the same suppliers, etc.
And in the case of these two speakers, BOTH use the dual driver concept with minor variations between the two.
Both companies probably used the same govt supplied research facilities, and came up with the same "solution", the dual driver concept, which, if not carefull, will cause wave cancelation and loss of certain frequencies (which is why its not used that much anymore)
In any even both are the result of the Canadians, and have that bland "Canadian"
sound, which Peruvian describes as precise and analytical, and I DESCRIBE AS LACKING PERSONALITY:1:
Whatever

PeruvianSkies
09-21-2007, 09:11 PM
I have listened to both, and while similar, both do have different sonic characteristics.
My point is, that like "west coast sound" (JBL speakers) "english sound" (b&w, wharfdale,
rotel) and "boston sound" the electroncs industry is very "clubby".
THERE IS NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THESE TWO, because both companies
share the same suppliers, etc.
And in the case of these two speakers, BOTH use the dual driver concept with minor variations between the two.
Both companies probably used the same govt supplied research facilities, and came up with the same "solution", the dual driver concept, which, if not carefull, will cause wave cancelation and loss of certain frequencies (which is why its not used that much anymore)
In any even both are the result of the Canadians, and have that bland "Canadian"
sound, which Peruvian describes as precise and analytical, and I DESCRIBE AS LACKING PERSONALITY:1:
Whatever

Sounds to me like you are back peddling from what you were trying to say before, now all of a sudden they do have different sonic characteristics, yet they are still the same because they come from the same country. Nice one. Explain to me exactly how two speakers could have different sonic characteristics and still be the same? I'd love to hear your explanation on that one, and I am sure you have a drawer full of opinions, which will most likely come across as trollish as possible...I can't wait to hear this one! Oh and for the record...which models of each company were you listening to ?

PeruvianSkies
09-21-2007, 09:15 PM
But...But...But...they look the same. LOL

Interesting...

I own the Platinum T6's, and the Image 7PT's, I have a good friend who has owned the Image 4T's, the Status Silver and Goldi's, plus I have listened to the Platinum T8's, several Goldis, Bronze, and Silver, numerous Image and Alpha line and I wouldn't even say that any of these speakers sound alike...the Image line is different from the Status line, the Status different from the Platinum and I am sure the new line as well as the G-Design will have their unique qualities as well, so with that in mind, it's amazing to me how another company could sound just like these...oh wait....I get it...they are in the same country...that explains it all.

Rich-n-Texas
09-22-2007, 07:20 AM
Sounds to me like you are back peddling from what you were trying to say before, now all of a sudden they do have different sonic characteristics, yet they are still the same because they come from the same country. Nice one. Explain to me exactly how two speakers could have different sonic characteristics and still be the same? I'd love to hear your explanation on that one, and I am sure you have a drawer full of opinions, which will most likely come across as trollish as possible...I can't wait to hear this one! Oh and for the record...which models of each company were you listening to ?
Yeah, how 'bout that? It's subtle, but it's there. The good thing is we have it all on record so it's easy to check.

I've said this before... I work with an engineer just like him. When he's wrong he'll make all sorts of excuses just to camoflage what he was wrong about and then move on thinking no one will notice.

Sorry if I'm passing judgement on you pix, but the facts are the facts, and when you're here I'm able to excercise my psychology skills. (IOW, we're watching you bud!)

pixelthis
09-24-2007, 01:30 AM
Interesting...

I own the Platinum T6's, and the Image 7PT's, I have a good friend who has owned the Image 4T's, the Status Silver and Goldi's, plus I have listened to the Platinum T8's, several Goldis, Bronze, and Silver, numerous Image and Alpha line and I wouldn't even say that any of these speakers sound alike...the Image line is different from the Status line, the Status different from the Platinum and I am sure the new line as well as the G-Design will have their unique qualities as well, so with that in mind, it's amazing to me how another company could sound just like these...oh wait....I get it...they are in the same country...that explains it all.

If you listened to something besides PSB you might learn something.
But I doubt it.
AS TO MODELS, the only "models" I care about are Victorias secrets models.
Its only when I decide that I Like the sound do I start to pay attention to model numbers
and other minutae.
For a young wet behind the ears...well, never mind.
Trust me, when you have heard thousands of peices of audio gear in every possible combination you wont care about "models" either.
AND I HAVE NEVER heard anything from north of the border to peak my interest enough
to care:1:

PeruvianSkies
09-24-2007, 01:33 AM
If you listened to something besides PSB you might learn something.
But I doubt it.
AS TO MODELS, the only "models" I care about are Victorias secrets models.
Its only when I decide that I Like the sound do I start to pay attention to model numbers
and other minutae.
For a young wet behind the ears...well, never mind.
Trust me, when you have heard thousands of peices of audio gear in every possible combination you wont care about "models" either.
AND I HAVE NEVER heard anything from north of the border to peak my interest enough
to care:1:

Let me get this straight....

1. I am too young to have the experience that you do, which is why you feel that you know more than I do.

2. Yet, because I have listened to many PSB models, now that is viewed as a bad thing?

So basically you are trying to say that I need more experience, yet because I listen to a lot of different models that I shouldn't concern myself with that I am limited with my knowledge? I don't JUST listen to PSB, I have listened to lots of speakers, but I readily admit that I am most familiar with PSB.

Maybe this is your problem...you judge PSB by ONE model that you heard and didn't give anything else a chance....now who is being narrow minded? Hmmm.

pixelthis
09-26-2007, 12:37 AM
Yeah, how 'bout that? It's subtle, but it's there. The good thing is we have it all on record so it's easy to check.

I've said this before... I work with an engineer just like him. When he's wrong he'll make all sorts of excuses just to camoflage what he was wrong about and then move on thinking no one will notice.

Sorry if I'm passing judgement on you pix, but the facts are the facts, and when you're here I'm able to excercise my psychology skills. (IOW, we're watching you bud!)

YOU'RE PSYCHOLOGY SKILLS!
That explains a lot.
AND watch me all you want. I was a police officer for a few decades, I guarentee I can
outstare you.
AND what I learned on the street about human psychology will beat your book learning ANY day:lol:
BTW if you think that anything based on physics is "wrong" take it up with god,
hes' the one who designed this stuff in the first place.
Hate to tell ya but just because somethings inconvienent doesn't make it "wrong".
Ever read Douglas Adams "HITCHHIKERS guide to the galaxy"?
Read the section about the spaceship they discover manned by
hairdressers, marketing types, insurance beaurcrats, and psychologists.
Might find it enlightening.
Or maybe not.:D

Rich-n-Texas
09-26-2007, 04:47 AM
YOU'RE PSYCHOLOGY SKILLS!
That explains a lot.
AND watch me all you want. I was a police officer for a few decades, I guarentee I can
outstare you.
AND what I learned on the street about human psychology will beat your book learning ANY day:lol:
BTW if you think that anything based on physics is "wrong" take it up with god,
hes' the one who designed this stuff in the first place.
Hate to tell ya but just because somethings inconvienent doesn't make it "wrong".
Ever read Douglas Adams "HITCHHIKERS guide to the galaxy"?
Read the section about the spaceship they discover manned by
hairdressers, marketing types, insurance beaurcrats, and psychologists.
Might find it enlightening.
Or maybe not.:D
So, you used to be a rent-a-pig at wal-mart, and now you're a candy striper at the local free clinic. You've certainly been around the block a few times in your 50 years haven't ya? And throw in some Sigmund Freud studies as well! WOW!!!

I guess this ship has already been sunk, but in case anyone's interested, I'm having my share of issues with my 880. I think some of the problems have to do with the default delays that the s/w assigns to devices in my system, but more probably have to do with operator error. I haven't spent a lot of time with it, but even with the aforementioned, I'm happy with the amount of convenience this remote allows me. Battery life is very good, and no charging stand probs. :thumbsup:

L.J.
09-26-2007, 06:13 AM
I'm having my share of issues with my 880. I think some of the problems have to do with the default delays that the s/w assigns to devices in my system, but more probably have to do with operator error. I haven't spent a lot of time with it, but even with the aforementioned, I'm happy with the amount of convenience this remote allows me. Battery life is very good, and no charging stand probs. :thumbsup:

What problems are you having?

Rich-n-Texas
09-26-2007, 07:09 AM
What problems are you having?
Okay, maybe we CAN right this ship...

Sometimes when I pick up the remote the backlight doesn't come on
Lately, when I select the "Watch TV" activity, the TV and AVR come on like they're supposed to, but the display is blank (no TV softkeys)
When the AVR device is selected, a delay occurs when I hold down the volume up/down toggle switch.
I don't know what the best way is to set up the softkeys for the individual devices. Do I have to learn each softkey on each page of the device's list with the device's remote? I know there's a menu item that shows all key settings setup options, but I get overwhelmed by it's size. I'm talking about the database that shows what the remote has set by default, and the settings I've set (shown with a red background in that particular command's reference field).Those are the questions that stick out in my head right now. I've been neglectful with spending time setting it up (read... Doom 3 is screaming along at +60 fps :devil: ), and I feel like I should be doing the reseach on my own instead of asking questions here.

I'll tell ya what... If you help me out I'll not press the oatmeal raisin cookie request of Mrs. L.J. How 'bout that? :biggrin5:

L.J.
09-26-2007, 08:01 AM
Okay, maybe we CAN right this ship...

Sometimes when I pick up the remote the backlight doesn't come on
Lately, when I select the "Watch TV" activity, the TV and AVR come on like they're supposed to, but the display is blank (no TV softkeys)
When the AVR device is selected, a delay occurs when I hold down the volume up/down toggle switch.
I don't know what the best way is to set up the softkeys for the individual devices. Do I have to learn each softkey on each page of the device's list with the device's remote? I know there's a menu item that shows all key settings setup options, but I get overwhelmed by it's size. I'm talking about the database that shows what the remote has set by default, and the settings I've set (shown with a red background in that particular command's reference field).Those are the questions that stick out in my head right now. I've been neglectful with spending time setting it up (read... Doom 3 is screaming along at +60 fps :devil: ), and I feel like I should be doing the reseach on my own instead of asking questions here.

I'll tell ya what... If you help me out I'll not press the oatmeal raisin cookie request of Mrs. L.J. How 'bout that? :biggrin5:

1. It's motion tilt sensored. Maybe your hands are a little too soft :p Give it a little tilt and it should pop on.

2. Are you saying that the TV isn't turning on are isn't going to the proper input?

3. Now your just complaining :cryin:

4. Softkey...I've never heard that term before. Are you saying the Harmony doesn't have full control of your devices?

"I feel like I should be doing the reseach on my own instead of asking questions here"
I was just starting to think....man this guy is lazy :D

Rich-n-Texas
09-26-2007, 08:21 AM
1. It's motion tilt sensored. Maybe your hands are a little too soft :p Give it a little tilt and it should pop on.
I've done that. I've even shaken it. Still no backlight.

2. Are you saying that the TV isn't turning on are isn't going to the proper input?
The TV comes on, the correct input to the TV is set, the correct AVR input is selected, but with some activities the 880 display will show some available functions assigned to the buttons on either side of the display (what I'm calling softkeys). Not so when I push the Watch TV activity button. Just a blank 880 display.

3. Now your just complaining :cryin:
Leave me ALONE

4. Softkey...I've never heard that term before. Are you saying the Harmony doesn't have full control of your devices?
See response to number 2.

"I feel like I should be doing the reseach on my own instead of asking questions here"
I was just starting to think....man this guy is lazy :D
First he offers to help, then he tells me to go away. :sad:

L.J.
09-26-2007, 08:54 AM
I've done that. I've even shaken it. Still no backlight.

That doesn't sound good. Mine pops on almost instantly. You may wanna give Logitech a call about that one

The TV comes on, the correct input to the TV is set, the correct AVR input is selected, but with some activities the 880 display will show some available functions assigned to the buttons on either side of the display (what I'm calling softkeys). Not so when I push the Watch TV activity button. Just a blank 880 display.

OK. Under "activities" press "customize buttons" under whatever activity you want to make softkey changes too. At the top of the page press "additional buttons". You can add up to 16 commands that you want to show on your Harmony's display, with each activity.

Leave me ALONE

Need a hug fella

See response to number 2.

See response to number 2

First he offers to help, then he tells me to go away. :sad:

Perhaps a cookie or two will cheer you up.

Rich-n-Texas
09-26-2007, 09:12 AM
I'd have to go back a page to see response to number 2. I don't know how to do that. :p
(Can't understand how this thread is 81 posts long and I'm still in the dark)

L.J.
09-26-2007, 09:30 AM
I'd have to go back a page to see response to number 2. I don't know how to do that. :p
(Can't understand how this thread is 81 posts long and I'm still in the dark)

Once you set up your "softkeys" for each activity (Under "activities" press "customize buttons" under whatever activity you want to make softkey changes too. At the top of the page press "additional buttons". You can add up to 16 commands that you want to show on your Harmony's display, with each activity) you should be fine. I only had to do a little bit of learning and that was mainly due to the Yammie having so many features and such a complicated remote.

The delay when pressing the volume up or down issue I'm not sure about. The volumes adjusts kinda slow on mine but I like it that way. I have my Yammie set to turn on at the level I like to listen at, well pretty close anyways. You may want to give that a try.

Rich-n-Texas
09-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks L.J. I'll try these suggestions when I get home. Yes, there are a lot of layers on my 5740's remote as well. Although I don't have to set much up thesse days (like speaker distance, volume...etc) it'd be great if I could pack the Yamaha remote away. This is the most complex remote I've ever owned so it's kind of difficult to determine if I'm doing something wrong, if it's just something I haven't realized that it can do in a more simplistic manner, or if there's really something wrong with the remote.

BTW, at AVS someone with a similar issue with his remote not responding when picked up, asked if there was a sensitivity setting. I don't recall seeing one, but do you hear some rattling in yours when you shake it. Mine doesn't.

pixelthis
09-26-2007, 11:00 PM
So, you used to be a rent-a-pig at wal-mart, and now you're a candy striper at the local free clinic. You've certainly been around the block a few times in your 50 years haven't ya? And throw in some Sigmund Freud studies as well! WOW!!!

I guess this ship has already been sunk, but in case anyone's interested, I'm having my share of issues with my 880. I think some of the problems have to do with the default delays that the s/w assigns to devices in my system, but more probably have to do with operator error. I haven't spent a lot of time with it, but even with the aforementioned, I'm happy with the amount of convenience this remote allows me. Battery life is very good, and no charging stand probs. :thumbsup:

Actually I went to the law enforcment acadamy in 1981, 95% average.
And worked liason with the secret service when REGAN came through in 1984
"Rent a pigs" don't have arrest powers...REAL PIGS DO.:mad5:
As for being a "candy striper" come into my E.R sometime, think that you'll find it quite...
educational:1:

PeruvianSkies
09-26-2007, 11:04 PM
Actually I went to the law enforcment acadamy in 1981, 95% average.
And worked liason with the secret service when REGAN came through in 1984
"Rent a pigs" don't have arrest powers...REAL PIGS DO.:mad5:
As for being a "candy striper" come into my E.R sometime, think that you'll find it quite...
educational:1:

So what do you do in the ER? What is your official title/job description?

pixelthis
09-26-2007, 11:11 PM
So what do you do in the ER? What is your official title/job description?
Actually I don't work there much anymore, I am more in managment in the security
of the place.
Its not the greatest pay in the world, but what I have learned about how medical
instruments are networked, and the way things work in a rather large hospital
have been fascinating.
I consider it a honor to be working with people (doctors and nurses) who routinely
save lives on a daily basis. I have seen people come in half dead and walk out with a prescription. My contribution is small, but satisfying:1:

Rich-n-Texas
09-27-2007, 05:41 AM
Actually I don't work there much anymore, I am more in managment in the security
of the place.
Its not the greatest pay in the world, but what I have learned about how medical
instruments are networked, and the way things work in a rather large hospital
have been fascinating.
I consider it a honor to be working with people (doctors and nurses) who routinely
save lives on a daily basis. I have seen people come in half dead and walk out with a prescription. My contribution is small, but satisfying:1:
Well, you led us to believe you were a Neurosurgeon. My remark was in sarcasm. I forgot to include a :rolleyes: smiley.

Okay, so now we've established that you work for Pinkerton Security Services. Good.

Things seem to have gone downhill with the remote. Last night I tried L.J.'s suggestions, but before I did this, and this has become routine, I plugged in the remote, logged in then did an immediate update. That went fine, but after I made the changes, I tried to update it again but this time, after the 3% progress indication, it stopped and gave me a message saying something about the TV's IR sequence is not valid. There was some other text which I didn't understand, but trying a do-over of the TV's learning procedure didn't work either. I used the option that let's me point the TV remote at the 880, and this time the 880 didn't detect the power on/off toggle press. After some frustration I thought I could reset the remote by pulling the battery, but nothing changed when I tried to setup the TV again. The good thing is, all previous settings remained intact. I can still perform a "Watch TV" activity, but the display still remains blank afterwards. I suspect a call to customer support is on the horizon.

Two more questions: When programming in favorites, in order to watch the HD channels, how do you enter the channel numbers? Is it for example, 8.1, or 8-1?
Also, how do I change the online session timeout value? Is that a Logitech site setting or a Windows setting? My session times out after about five minutes of inactivity which is irritating because I lose all the changes I've made if I don't click Update in time.

musicman1999
09-27-2007, 07:21 AM
Rich

Why don't you call their tech support.It is the best,they will talk you through everything.

bill

L.J.
09-27-2007, 07:37 AM
BTW, at AVS someone with a similar issue with his remote not responding when picked up, asked if there was a sensitivity setting. I don't recall seeing one, but do you hear some rattling in yours when you shake it. Mine doesn't.

You can go into the "remote settings" and make sure the sensor is enabled under "display setting". Besides that, I'm not sure. You should hear a rattle, I would think, because that's the tilt sensor moving around.

Things seem to have gone downhill with the remote. Last night I tried L.J.'s suggestions, but before I did this, and this has become routine, I plugged in the remote, logged in then did an immediate update. That went fine, but after I made the changes, I tried to update it again but this time, after the 3% progress indication, it stopped and gave me a message saying something about the TV's IR sequence is not valid. There was some other text which I didn't understand, but trying a do-over of the TV's learning procedure didn't work either. I used the option that let's me point the TV remote at the 880, and this time the 880 didn't detect the power on/off toggle press. After some frustration I thought I could reset the remote by pulling the battery, but nothing changed when I tried to setup the TV again. The good thing is, all previous settings remained intact. I can still perform a "Watch TV" activity, but the display still remains blank afterwards. I suspect a call to customer support is on the horizon.

Yeah, you should give them a call and explain the situation. I heard they have pretty good CS. Maybe they can give you reboot instructions. Perhaps it's time for a new remote.

Two more questions: When programming in favorites, in order to watch the HD channels, how do you enter the channel numbers? Is it for example, 8.1, or 8-1?
Also, how do I change the online session timeout value? Is that a Logitech site setting or a Windows setting? My session times out after about five minutes of inactivity which is irritating because I lose all the changes I've made if I don't click Update in time.

Are you watching OTA HD?

Not sure 'bout the session time thing.

Rich-n-Texas
09-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Yes, my local channels are OTA, I should have mentioned that. With my TV's remote, I enter 8-1, but I think the TV interprets it as 8.1. Either way though, there's no way to enter those symbols on the 880 keypad. I'll get on the horn with CS tonite.

Rich-n-Texas
09-27-2007, 05:13 PM
The reason I was getting this error: "The IR sequence ' - ' for your TV does not exist" when trying to update the remote after adding some Favorite channels was because the symbol " - " is unrecognized by the software. When I "Removed" all favorites and ran an update again, it was successful. I verified this by trying to add a favorite channel using the " . " symbol, and the error occured again with ' . ' in the error message. So, next I went to the TV, and after some rooting around found out which HD channel had which alias assigned to the actual channel, plugged those numbers in along with the logos from the website topspeed eluded to, and viola, when I press the Media button my favorite channels show up on the display.

So that takes care of that. I also checked the Display Settings menu to see if the Enable Tilt Sensor option was enabled and it was so I ran a Reset To Defaults command, but the problem still exists. Not a big deal right now though.

pixelthis
09-27-2007, 10:28 PM
The reason I was getting this error: "The IR sequence ' - ' for your TV does not exist" when trying to update the remote after adding some Favorite channels was because the symbol " - " is unrecognized by the software. When I "Removed" all favorites and ran an update again, it was successful. I verified this by trying to add a favorite channel using the " . " symbol, and the error occured again with ' . ' in the error message. So, next I went to the TV, and after some rooting around found out which HD channel had which alias assigned to the actual channel, plugged those numbers in along with the logos from the website topspeed eluded to, and viola, when I press the Media button my favorite channels show up on the display.

So that takes care of that. I also checked the Display Settings menu to see if the Enable Tilt Sensor option was enabled and it was so I ran a Reset To Defaults command, but the problem still exists. Not a big deal right now though.

I might be a "rent a pig" but you're a guinea pig!
All of this is rather enlightening.
My pronto is doing fine but four years old, and will need replacing soon.
I was thinking about a Harmony but now...
One of the requirements of an universal remote is that any idiot can master one.
So I guess the harmony is out of the running:1:

Rich-n-Texas
09-28-2007, 09:58 AM
Hey a$$hole, I'm here to get advice, not pi$$ed on so why don't you **** off

pixelthis
10-01-2007, 12:30 AM
Hey a$$hole, I'm here to get advice, not pi$$ed on so why don't you **** off

So heres' some advice, don't refer to any law enforcement officer, past or present,
as a PIG. Its really not appreciated.
Good luck with that intelligence test you refer to as a universal remote.
Maybe you'll figure it out one of these days, but I kinda doubt it.
Maybe you can use it to throw at burgulars, if you have the same attitude toward local
law enforcement they probably won't be in a hurry to get to your house:1:

Rich-n-Texas
10-01-2007, 05:35 AM
You're so easily bated pix. One thing that remians constant with you is that you've never taken the high road and ignored someone else's jabs. You constantly go toe-to-toe with anyone who crosses you, and that's the leading contributor to your reputation here. And your way is the only way right? If your personality here in a discussion forum is a reflection of your real life persona, then I feel sorry for you.

Now, I started this thread weeks ago to talk about my new remote, which other people here also own, so since you don't own one would you kindly remove yourself from this discussion? I don't see where you need to bad mouth me regarding my HT choices and contribute nothing of value.

GMichael
10-01-2007, 05:57 AM
You two play nice or there'll be no TV for either of you tonight.

It's a nice day. Why don't you go out and play?

pixelthis
10-04-2007, 12:31 AM
You're so easily bated pix. One thing that remians constant with you is that you've never taken the high road and ignored someone else's jabs. You constantly go toe-to-toe with anyone who crosses you, and that's the leading contributor to your reputation here. And your way is the only way right? If your personality here in a discussion forum is a reflection of your real life persona, then I feel sorry for you.

Now, I started this thread weeks ago to talk about my new remote, which other people here also own, so since you don't own one would you kindly remove yourself from this discussion? I don't see where you need to bad mouth me regarding my HT choices and contribute nothing of value.

I haven't "bad mouthed" your HT choices, I have critized your HT choices.
If you take it personally thats your problem. If you paid attention to what I say maybe you might figure out that I KNOW WHAT i'M TALKING ABOUT.
Take your remote for instance, sounds like its suffering from what I call "machoitis"
This is derived from the owner not reading the instructions, thinking he can "figure it out"
by himself. So he tries to treat a complicated piece of gear like a six slot toaster.
I love to read instruction books, I MAKE EXTRA CASH fixing stuff for friends who can't get theirs to work. I go over, read the instructions, and usually am able to get it to work.
That phamplet that came with your remote labeled manuel isn't a mexican novel about a taxicab driver. I suggest you read it, especially the part about the setup menu.
And how to plug it into the USB so that the website can configure it for you.
I will tell you this, a universal can be complicated, even the simple ones.
I had a sony, a marantz (still do) and currently a pronto.
They all take time to vet and get set up properly, its kind of an inverse square law, the more time it takes the more usefull they tend to be.
Go to remotecentral.com and start reading:1:

AND remember...
WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS READ THE INSTRUCTIONS:incazzato:

tot3ntanZz
12-17-2021, 01:23 PM
Hey! As for me these days it is very difficult to find a good toy for a child, because over the past few decades a whole lot of companies have appeared that are engaged in the production of toys and among all this abundance it is very difficult to choose something, but I can advise you to pay attention to sonny angel uk (https://www.smallsmart.co.uk/collections/sonny-angel)
As for me, this toy is perfect for a girl.
Hope my advice helps someone!