overwhelmed... all around speakers for music listening around 400/pr [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : overwhelmed... all around speakers for music listening around 400/pr

dandre47
09-06-2007, 12:05 AM
I'm a little overwhelmed trying to sift through the reviews in here and find the right speakers... so many speakers on here are reviewed by audiophiles with generally the same taste in music. I'm looking for a pair of all-around speakers that can handle hard rock and rap at high volumes (i listen to those pretty often) but still perform on softer music: alternative, classical, folk, jazz, etc. Room's about 12 by 18 by 10 so a little over 2000 cubic feet, will probably be using them for parties as well as pretty low-mid volume listening on a day to day basis. was looking at boston vr1s for about 380 or despite my better judgment jbl stadiums simply because i'm sure they would handle the power and i could get them for 300/pr. Just wondering if anyone can help me find a comfortable midpoint between hi-fi audio and the crappier speakers that can handle power and rock/rap music.

dan

dandre47
09-06-2007, 12:06 AM
also lookin at klipsch bookshelfs but worried about them being too bright for me, might have to go back to the store and listen to those again. also i'm pretty firm about keeping myself under 450 tops for the pair. I'm definitely on a budget. speakers will be paired with a yamaha rxv659 receiver rated 100wpc. Soon to be paired with either an svs pb10nsd or hsu vtf1 (or stf-2 if i am really tempted to go over my speaker budget). any help you guys can give would be appreciated. thanks!

dan

Mark111867
09-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Hi. You might take a look at the Cambridge Soundworks Newton M80 speaker. I know that they are $499 a pair, but Cambridge Soundworks usually e-bays seconds or returns for much less than $400. I listen to mostly classical and folk music, and I'm happy with them. Can't vouch for how rap might sound. They might be worth looking into. Good luck.

GMichael
09-06-2007, 01:22 PM
The Onic x-mtm Tower Loudspeakers may be what you're looking for. Take a look at their link: http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=105.1

You can get them a little cheaper if you don't mind "B" stock. Meaning, they may have a few scratches on them here or there. Look here, at the bottom. http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=stock&brand=14

dandre47
09-06-2007, 04:04 PM
the mtm's looked pretty nice, although they're just a little pricey and are backordered so i'd have to wait a little bit. and apparently the b-stock ones are in pretty bad condition according to the description so i'd probly rather not get the b-stock. thanks for the suggestions, anything else i should check out? nobody likes the bostons for 380 shipped?

PDN
09-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Consider a preowned pair of B&W DM602 S3's or even the DM601 S3's (next size down). Absolutely dynamite sound for the size and money. I believe all of these have been reviewed on this site. The reason I am saying preowned is that B&W just replaced their 600 Series 3 with a new line. I have the DM601 S3's in one room and a pair of DM603 S3's in a larger room. Both can be driven loud but also play beautifully at moderate listening levels. Everytime I listen, I still marvel at their sound. Depending on your room layout and whether or not you have thick carpet, you may need a subwoofer. The 602 S3's produce more bass than the 601's. Both are standmount speakers.

dandre47
09-08-2007, 12:33 PM
thanks for all the replies

nightflier
09-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Dandre,

OneCall is selling the VR1 "Factory Renewed" for $129 each (http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=88393). I don't think you'll find them much lower and they appear to be decent speakers for the money. I would probably go a little higher, though. The VR1s only go down to 45Hz, which is high for a tower and will weaken that bass that you want for hip-hop & rock. I also worry about their power handling: 150W, which may sound like a lot, but if you sustain a high-watt output that for all-night parties, I don't know how long they will last.

Actually, from your posts, I am surprised that the Klipsches are not to your liking. They excel at high-volume output, and while they are rated at 100-200 watts, in your price range, this is the sustained rating and they can usually handle loads of at least twice that in peaks. I've always considered Klipsch the head-banger's speaker specifically because of that: they can play very loud with very low output amps (most of the receivers you'll find at BB & CC, hence the reason they are sold there). If you're looking for bang-for-the-buck, there's only a few other speakers that can compare.

But if you don't like the sound of the Klipsch, then consider these other options:
- Polk Monitor series
- Infinity Primus series
- Boston Acoustics VR2s
- Polk RTI series
These are being discounted at lots of online sites, and you can also find them second-hand for well under your budget, especially if you look for discounted or free shipping from out-state companies (no tax). They are not audiophile speakers, but they will give you the performance you're looking for.

dandre47
09-08-2007, 02:19 PM
thanks i'll definitely look more into some klipsches my parents have a klipsch home theatre and so does one of my friends and i like them, thanks for the input

Smitty 50
09-12-2007, 11:33 PM
If you dont mind used speakers there is a pair of kef 104/2 speakers on ebay 4 400 bucks and can speak from experiene these speakers sound incredible the sound stage on them is insane their the best speaker on there 4 400 dollars

Smitty 50
09-12-2007, 11:35 PM
if you like klipsch the only tower in thier line up around 400 dollars is their rc-10 tower at 250 a piece 150 max and 75 rms if my memory serves right

dingus
09-12-2007, 11:42 PM
If you dont mind used speakers there is a pair of kef 104/2 speakers on ebay 4 400 bucks and can speak from experiene these speakers sound incredible the sound stage on them is insane their the best speaker on there 4 400 dollars

i'll second that and add the ADS L810. more common than the KEF's (though given a choice i would opt for the KEF's) and usually a little less expensive as well.

PeruvianSkies
09-12-2007, 11:53 PM
i'll second that and add the ADS L810. more common than the KEF's (though given a choice i would opt for the KEF's) and usually a little less expensive as well.

I also like KEF, a few years ago I visited a good friend of mine who had a 4.0 KEF setup for his Laserdisc player and they were phenomenal speakers, had great thickness, midrange, and nice tight, but not too bright, high end. They also blend in well and are not really IN YOUR FACE as much, which I also like.

RoyY51
09-13-2007, 01:42 PM
I suggest listening to the speakers that I've had for a few years now, the front-ported Monitor Audio Bronze 2's. Smooth, unaccented highs, a gorgeous mid-range and 42 hz on the bottom. I bought them from DMC Electronics for $300. I understand that there's a new model out, so you may be able to pick them up for less.

Happy Hunting!

VAB
09-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Please consider the Klipsch Reference RB-61's. They are $450 retail/pair but I've seen them cheaper than this. I use these speakers in a second system and believe they are under rated. They will play very loud with not a lot of power. I thought, based on conventional wisdom, that they would make my ear's bleed, but have found them to very smooth and not bright at all. Just to help you understand where I'm coming from, I own Proac Tablette's, B&W's, and Dahlquist DQ-20's and these Klipsch's don't give up much to them.

dandre47
09-20-2007, 12:04 PM
thanks for the replies everyone!

pixelthis
09-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Consider a preowned pair of B&W DM602 S3's or even the DM601 S3's (next size down). Absolutely dynamite sound for the size and money. I believe all of these have been reviewed on this site. The reason I am saying preowned is that B&W just replaced their 600 Series 3 with a new line. I have the DM601 S3's in one room and a pair of DM603 S3's in a larger room. Both can be driven loud but also play beautifully at moderate listening levels. Everytime I listen, I still marvel at their sound. Depending on your room layout and whether or not you have thick carpet, you may need a subwoofer. The 602 S3's produce more bass than the 601's. Both are standmount speakers.
I have a pair of 602s2's that I am using for mains, and I must agree, these are (were) one of teh best bargains around