Who likes Beck? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Who likes Beck?

Snowbunny
02-25-2004, 10:11 AM
What's the deal with Beck? The only CD I have of his is Sea Change and I'm trying really hard to warm up to it. Its not that I don't like it, it just makes me feel so sad. :(

I notice that J, Mike, nobody, maf and Jar (and maybe Audiogirl) have all mentioned liking his music, although to be fair, maf and Jar seem to like Mutations best. Maybe I'd like that one or Odelay more than Sea Change but at this point, I wouldn't take a chance on another Beck Hansen CD.

What am I missing?

Snowie

np: Chinatown - The Be Good Tanyas (I can't believe there hasn't been more buzz about this album.)

tentoze
02-25-2004, 10:21 AM
What's the deal with Beck? The only CD I have of his is Sea Change and I'm trying really hard to warm up to it. Its not that I don't like it, it just makes me feel so sad. :(

I notice that J, Mike, nobody, maf and Jar (and maybe Audiogirl) have all mentioned liking his music, although to be fair, maf and Jar seem to like Mutations best. Maybe I'd like that one or Odelay more than Sea Change but at this point, I wouldn't take a chance on another Beck Hansen CD.

What am I missing?

Snowie

np: Chinatown - The Be Good Tanyas (I can't believe there hasn't been more buzz about this album.)
I prefer Beck's to Beck, personally.

:p

nobody
02-25-2004, 10:57 AM
You may not be missing a thing...maybe he's not your deal, ya know.

But, I will say that he has a pretty wide variety of stuff out there, so not liking Sea Change may not mean you wouldn't like other stuff he's done. Mutations is the most similar to Sea Change, but it's shorter with a lot more hooks, and not so somber, more fun. I guess, I tend toward the somber, 'cause although at first I preferred Mutations, I have grown to prefer Sea Change.

Then, there's Odelay, a hip hop influenced mish mash of sound samples. It's nothing like the last two, although more similar to Mellow Gold, the first big record he had with the track Loser on it. Those two could probably be grouped together, with maybe Odelay edging out Mellow Gold.

Then there's Midnight Vultures, his R&B/funk record. This one's my least favorite Beck that I've listened to. Still, some good songs and nicely crafted funk leaning on Prince influences and such. Not a bad record by any means, but personally, I prefer others doing the funk thing.

He's also got some earlier stuff that I haven't listened to...nothing else widely distributed I don't believe. Can't help ya with that.

Personally, I like him, because I though Mellow Gold and Odelay were creative and inventive while still remaining fun records that were good to listen to. I was disappointed in Midnihgt Vultures, but gave him a break. Mutations and Sea Change, to me, showed his ability to cross styles and genres, while remaining strong and creative within a new realm. So, maybe you'd wanna grad Odelay and see if it grabs ya. If not, and Sea Change doesn't get ya, I'd kinda doubt you'd care about anythng else he's done anyway.

And, by the way, I agree that Be Good Tanya's record really is good. Waiting Around to Die is a great song.

Davey
02-25-2004, 11:07 AM
I like Beck, but Sea Change is just too monotonic for me and I never have really warmed up to it either, although I do appreciate that it has many very well written songs. Just hasn't connected strongly with me. I much prefer the sonic collage of Odelay, although Odelay seems now more a period piece of the 90s, kind of a junk culture remnant. I wonder how many people still listen to it, even though it was widely crowned as the best record of 1996? I still think it's by far his best work because of the innovation. I remember at the time reading an article in the year-end issue of Spin Magazine (I think) and Beck was asked how he felt about Odelay being named the best album of the year and he said something like, "Yeah, but what else was there?". I always loved that he didn't take all the adoration heaped on him at the time very seriously :)

Mutations is a very good album too, but starts to meander after the first few songs. At least I think it does. But so does Sea Change for me. I liked Midnight Vultures for the first few listens then almost instantly grew tired of it and probably haven't listened since. Guess I'm not really one of his biggest fans - but I wanna be :)

I could set you up with some more Beck if you want since I have all the last few, but my vote would solidly be with Odelay, even though it might not have aged as well as me http://forums.audioreview.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Kinda off topic, but recently I've been trying to find a realistically priced copy of the latest CD by Hector Zazou titled Strong Currents that was released last year. Guess it must have only gotten a French release and would cost over $30 through someplace like Amazon. Way too much. Another big cast album with lead vocals shared by Laurie Anderson, Melanie Gabriel (Peter's daughter), Jane Birkin, Lori Carson, Emma Stow, Nina Haynes, Caroline Lavelle, Sarah-Jane Morris, Catherine Russell, Lisa Germano, Nicola Hitchcock. Wish I could read French better so I could figure out what they're saying at some of the sites selling it....hope you're having fun! Still snowing up there?

Oh yeah, Tanya buzz. I've buzzed a little but not enough. More when I was that Intruder guy.

NP: Girl From Mars by Ash which just finished and led into Adventures In The Scandinavian Skin Trade by Hector Zazou which now ties it all back to my off topic :-)

Ex Lion Tamer
02-25-2004, 11:17 AM
Hmmmmm......that sounds kinda provocative.

I have 2 Beck albums; Mutations and Odelay. Love Mutations, one of my favorite purchases of the last five years or so. Nicely melodic and musically interesting, sort of like BNLs Gordon, in that there are a lot of forays into different music styles, but still accessible and with a sense of humour throughout. Never got into Odelay, too noisy and mish-mashy. Probably gave it 5 or 6 spins, and that's it. Mutations still gets a regular spin in my room. My guess; you'd like it.

As much as I like Mutations, I've never been tempted to explore Beck beyond the two I have.

Make of that what you will.

Snowbunny
02-25-2004, 11:37 AM
Mutations is the most similar to Sea Change, but it's shorter with a lot more hooks, and not so somber, more fun. I guess, I tend toward the somber, 'cause although at first I preferred Mutations, I have grown to prefer Sea Change.

And, by the way, I agree that Be Good Tanya's record really is good. Waiting Around to Die is a great song.

Thanks for the input, Nobody. Based on your Motel 2003 comp, we seem to be pretty close in our musical tastes.

So when do you listen to Sea Change? The general feel of the album reminds me of Nick Drake's - Pink Moon and although I love the way it sounds, I can rarely listen to it without feeling a little blue. But then again, maybe that's the point. :)

Snowie

I hope you remember me next time you put together a new comp. :cool:

edit: Oh yeah, I first heard that Waiting Around to Die song on a comp from DLD, but it was sung by Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson. What a great song, eh?

nobody
02-25-2004, 11:49 AM
I guess I tend to listen to Sea Change either late at night, coming down, or early in the morning with a hangover...that kind of thing. Quiet and alone music, although it doesn't depress me in the slightest to be honmest. It does get pretty reflective, so it's nothing I listen to when I'm getting up for something or when people are over. It's kinda nice in the car for me too, but I don't really know why.

I'll make sure to remember ya with any other comps. I actually have a couple that are kinda similar to the 2003 one, so if you're interested, let me know. One, I don't think I sent round at all, and then my 2002 comp is pretty similar to the 2003 one.

I think you're the first one I saw mentioning the Be Good Tanyas, and I was still trying to decide if I should give 'em a chance. Then, I heard a really great sounding group of girls on CMT and waited around to see who it was. Sure enough, Be Good Tanyas. Went and grabbed it after that. Good stuff.

Snowbunny
02-25-2004, 11:49 AM
I like Beck, but Sea Change is just too monotonic for me and I never have really warmed up to it either, although I do appreciate that it has many very well written songs. Just hasn't connected strongly with me. I much prefer the sonic collage of Odelay, although Odelay seems now more a period piece of the 90s, kind of a junk culture remnant. I wonder how many people still listen to it, even though it was widely crowned as the best record of 1996? I still think it's by far his best work because of the innovation. I remember at the time reading an article in the year-end issue of Spin Magazine (I think) and Beck was asked how he felt about Odelay being named the best album of the year and he said something like, "Yeah, but what else was there?". I always loved that he didn't take all the adoration heaped on him at the time very seriously :)

Mutations is a very good album too, but starts to meander after the first few songs. At least I think it does. But so does Sea Change for me. I liked Midnight Vultures for the first few listens then almost instantly grew tired of it and probably haven't listened since. Guess I'm not really one of his biggest fans - but I wanna be :)

I could set you up with some more Beck if you want since I have all the last few, but my vote would solidly be with Odelay, even though it might not have aged as well as me http://forums.audioreview.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Kinda off topic, but recently I've been trying to find a realistically priced copy of the latest CD by Hector Zazou titled Strong Currents that was released last year. Guess it must have only gotten a French release and would cost over $30 through someplace like Amazon. Way too much. Another big cast album with lead vocals shared by Laurie Anderson, Melanie Gabriel (Peter's daughter), Jane Birkin, Lori Carson, Emma Stow, Nina Haynes, Caroline Lavelle, Sarah-Jane Morris, Catherine Russell, Lisa Germano, Nicola Hitchcock. Wish I could read French better so I could figure out what they're saying at some of the sites selling it....hope you're having fun! Still snowing up there?

Oh yeah, Tanya buzz. I've buzzed a little but not enough. More when I was that Intruder guy.

NP: Girl From Mars by Ash which just finished and led into Adventures In The Scandinavian Skin Trade by Hector Zazou which now ties it all back to my off topic :-)

Monotonic? Is that a real word? Cause you know we all trust your expansive knowledge of the english language and I'll be pretty embarrassed if I use it myself and find out its not a real word. :p

Odelay was the the Best Album of 1996? Like at the Grammies? No wonder I've seen so many copies of it available second hand. I'll pick one up next time I see it, even though it doesn't sound quite my cuppa tea.

Junk culture remnant? Huh? Is that a good thing or a bad thing? ;)

Great cast of characters on the new Zazou, Davey! I'll have a look around my neck of the semi-arid hills and see if there's any deals to be had. Not snowing down in the valley now, just up in the mountains. As a matter of fact, we have spring-like conditions now in B.C. A fact we like to share with our kinfolk on the east side of the country. :p

Snowbuns

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes.
--Jack Handey Deep Thoughts

Edit: BTW, I like your new avatar, Davey. Freaky-deaky!

ForeverAutumn
02-25-2004, 12:07 PM
Not snowing down in the valley now, just up in the mountains. As a matter of fact, we have spring-like conditions now in B.C. A fact we like to share with our kinfolk on the east side of the country. :p

Snowbuns

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes.
--Jack Handey Deep Thoughts

Be warned...this post is totally off topic and has nothing to do with Beck or The Be Good Tanyas....read at your own non-musical risk.

Snowie, your comment about the weather made me laugh. I just came back from lunch with a friend who's son recently moved to Vancouver and was just, on Sunday, ribbing his parents about the weather differences. :) I told him to wait until summer when we've had several weeks of solid sun and his son is drowning in the rain and then turn the tables on him. :p

I love your Jack Handy quote. I miss good ol' Jack and the days when SNL was actually funny.

FA

Davey
02-25-2004, 12:30 PM
Monotonic? Is that a real word? Cause you know we all trust your expansive knowledge of the english language and I'll be pretty embarrassed if I use it myself and find out its not a real word. :p

Heehee, yeah it is a real word. One of the meanings is even what I intended to say, I think. IE, too much of a monotone voice on Sea Change. But the way engineering types like me generally use the word is when talking about bit changes on DACs, for example if changing the least significant bit on a 16-bit DAC always causes a corresponding (and appropriate) change in the analog output, the DAC is specified to be monotonic to 16 bits.

Toodles

Slosh
02-25-2004, 12:37 PM
I think Mutations is great and all but Odelay is just more fun. Maybe I'm crazy but I hear a lot of Odelay influence in The Dismemberment Plan. I've used at least three songs from it on various comps so you'll get to preview it a bit.

~Slosh: Darwin's gift to humanity :D

Snowbunny
02-25-2004, 01:09 PM
Heehee, yeah it is a real word. One of the meanings is even what I intended to say, I think. IE, too much of a monotone voice on Sea Change. But the way engineering types like me generally use the word is when talking about bit changes on DACs, for example if changing the least significant bit on a 16-bit DAC always causes a corresponding (and appropriate) change in the analog output, the DAC is specified to be monotonic to 16 bits.

Toodles

Oh, I get it! Monotic! Kinda like the way you sound when you talk in real life, right? ;)

Snowbunny
02-25-2004, 01:24 PM
Snowie, your comment about the weather made me laugh. I just came back from lunch with a friend who's son recently moved to Vancouver and was just, on Sunday, ribbing his parents about the weather differences. :) I told him to wait until summer when we've had several weeks of solid sun and his son is drowning in the rain and then turn the tables on him. :p
FA

Point taken, FA. I love Vancouver, but when I lived there I could never get used to the soggy crackers and cockroaches. Where I live, we have a semi-arid climatic with cactus and tumbleweed! No rain here in the interior desert. :)

So you're liking that Jim Bryson, are you? Did you get The Northside Benches yet? I really like it even if he does talk too much about Toronto. ;) But then my favourite Be Good Tanyas have been known to sing about getting drunk on Robson Street something which at least two of us on this board can lay claim to!

Snow

Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don't know what your rights are, or who the person is you're talking to. Then on the way out, slam the door.
--Jack Handy Deep Thoughts

Snowbunny
02-25-2004, 02:25 PM
I think Mutations is great and all but Odelay is just more fun. Maybe I'm crazy but I hear a lot of Celine Dion's influence in The Dismemberment Plan. I've used at least three songs from her on various comps so you'll get to preview it a bit.

~Slosh: Darwin's gift to humanity :D

Wow, I never would have made that connection, Sloshy. But then again, you may be crazy after all. :)

Audio Girl
02-25-2004, 02:38 PM
Snowie, you have a good memory. "Sea Changes" is one of my faves from the last few years, and it's also my favorite of Beck. Like you, a few years ago I posted here that I just didn't 'get' him. Stone sent me a comp, I purchased Mutations, then Sea Change, and the rest is history. "Sea Change" exhibits a sad, melancholy side of BH -- the result of the break-up of his 9-year love relationship. I tend to listen to it when I want something quiet and introspective...it's great late night listening for me.

By the way, don't know if you are a Sex & The City fan, but in the finale retrospective of the series which was aired before the final episode, the producers use "The Golden Age" near the end and its quite moving. One of the best commercial uses of a song I've seen in some time (although its just a snippet). I'm gonna miss those NY ladies. :-)

MindGoneHaywire
02-26-2004, 12:41 AM
Snow, my pick is Mutations, I think it's his best & I've said before I think Beck's the best out there currently. The other three albums prior to Sea Change I don't think stand on their own as great or must-have albums, but all have several tracks that can be cherry-picked & are outstanding. Mutations & Sea Change strike me as being the best album statements he's put out, and of those two I prefer Mutations.

I do have a Beck comp that includes some live stuff I taped from television broadcasts & also a few tracks from his earlier records, the ones that aren't all that easy to find. A highlight is 'Rowboat,' from a wildly uneven record called Stereopathic Soulmanure, which Johnny Cash covered on his Unchained album. If you'd like I'd be happy to send you a copy, just PM me w/yr info & I'll get it out to ya. I recommend.

ForeverAutumn
02-26-2004, 08:40 AM
Point taken, FA. I love Vancouver, but when I lived there I could never get used to the soggy crackers and cockroaches. Where I live, we have a semi-arid climatic with cactus and tumbleweed! No rain here in the interior desert. :)

So you're liking that Jim Bryson, are you? Did you get The Northside Benches yet? I really like it even if he does talk too much about Toronto. ;) But then my favourite Be Good Tanyas have been known to sing about getting drunk on Robson Street something which at least two of us on this board can lay claim to!

Snow

I'm confused. Is there something other than North Side Benches? i thought that was his first (and only) CD. Yes, I like it a lot. I bought it on a whim because I had been reading a lot about him locally, and...he opened for Blue Rodeo, and....Jim Cuddy sings back-up on the disk. I figured, hey, if Jim Cuddy likes him then he's good enough for me ;) . A good decision on my part. :)

I love the little that I've experienced of Western Canada. I could definately see myself living out West, but never in Vancouver. I've been there three times and other than a few great ocean views, it's never much appealed to me. Can't beat the people in Western Canada though. I've never met a Westerner that I didn't like. :)

BTW, thanks for starting this Beck thread. I've been wondering where to start with him also. I was going to buy Sea Change last weekend, but the store that I was in wanted $21 for it. It's about $5 cheaper at Amazon. :eek: But after this thread, I'm thinking that Mutations or Odelay might be a better place for me to start. Sea Change just might be too mellow for me. :confused:

Snowbunny
02-26-2004, 12:50 PM
I'm confused. Is there something other than North Side Benches? i thought that was his first (and only) CD. Yes, I like it a lot. I bought it on a whim because I had been reading a lot about him locally, and...he opened for Blue Rodeo, and....Jim Cuddy sings back-up on the disk. I figured, hey, if Jim Cuddy likes him then he's good enough for me ;) . A good decision on my part. :)

BTW, thanks for starting this Beck thread. I've been wondering where to start with him also. I was going to buy Sea Change last weekend, but the store that I was in wanted $21 for it. It's about $5 cheaper at Amazon. :eek: But after this thread, I'm thinking that Mutations or Odelay might be a better place for me to start. Sea Change just might be too mellow for me. :confused:

Jim Bryson did another album in 2001 called The Occasionals. I think you can still get it from his website. The first song I heard from him was Satellite which is a great song from the first album. Did you know he also worked on Kathleen Edward's - Failer? Have you downloaded the bonus songs from the internet yet?

Hold off on Sea Change for now and maybe we can do some sort of trade....

Snowie

Dusty Chalk
02-26-2004, 12:55 PM
Hey, SnowBee, you may want to check out this thread (http://www.classicrockforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15863&perpage=16&pagenumber=1) over on CRF...

ForeverAutumn
02-26-2004, 01:31 PM
Jim Bryson did another album in 2001 called The Occasionals. I think you can still get it from his website. The first song I heard from him was Satellite which is a great song from the first album. Did you know he also worked on Kathleen Edward's - Failer? Have you downloaded the bonus songs from the internet yet?

Hold off on Sea Change for now and maybe we can do some sort of trade....

Snowie

Thanks for the tip on The Occasionals. I wasn't aware of it. I'll have to check it out. I haven't downloaded the bonus songs. My computer is very fickle and I'm not very computer literate. For some reason, I'm not able to download and play any songs or videos. It just doesn't work. It really sucks.

I did know that Bryson played on Edward's Failer disk. Doesn't surprise me at all. Their style is very similar and they both hail from Ottawa I think. Makes sense that they would know each other and work together. I much prefer Bryson's disk over Edward's. I don't think that I would buy another CD by her.

Email me when you're ready to talk trade. I lost your email address when my computer crashed. :(