Anybody else feel like Porky Tree's new material isn't quite as good as the old? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else feel like Porky Tree's new material isn't quite as good as the old?

Kaboom
09-05-2007, 04:16 PM
And when i say Old hear i'm talking about way before lightbulb sun. To be precise i'm talking about the albums which came before Porcupine Tree actually turned into a band, when it was Wilson's solo project.
On the sunday of life (weird, but awesome)
Up the downstair (breathtaking)
The sky moves sideways (also breathtaking)

Then PT became a band a took a turn away from psychedelia and prog and towards hard rock. Sure I like stupid dream and In absentia... I even don't mind fear of a blank planet... but i just feel they aren't quite up to the level of PK's first works.

So am I very weird or does anyone share these thoughts to any extent?

kexodusc
09-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Can't say I don't find the new material any worse.

I think this just shows diversity. For me they peaked with Signify which was a nice blend of the artsy/prog and modern rock stuff. I'm sure everyone else has a different favorite album. Up the Downstair and Sky Moves Sideways are definitely a different flavour from Stupid Dream and In Absentia. Then they went more "metal" with Deadwing. I like it when bands evolve and experiment.

I will say I was a bit disappointed in Fear From a Blank Planet after how much I enjoyed the previous 5 releases or so. A few of the songs are just starting to sound the same. Maybe they need a break? Though Anesthetize kicks serious ass as much as anything they've done.

Every band has it's good and bad stuff - when their bad stuff is still pretty good, we shouldn't complain too much.

unleasHell
09-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Then PT became a band a took a turn away from psychedelia and prog and towards hard rock. Sure I like stupid dream and In absentia... I even don't mind fear of a blank planet... but i just feel they aren't quite up to the level of PK's first works.

So am I very weird or does anyone share these thoughts to any extent?

AGREEEEE 1000%

you and I will def. be the minority here, but In Abstentia is practically unlistenable...

Long Live the old style

3-LockBox
09-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Its an apple to oranges comparison actually, and a moot point as well, since Wilson doesn't want to do that older style of music any longer. He has been quoted as saying (and I paraphrase) that it was a mistake to delve too long into that style of music since it seems to have pigeon holed the band. I think what he means by that is, it prevented them from mainstream success. Still, one needn't listen very hard to hear traces of that older style in PT's current works.

IMO, FearOfABlankPlanet represents the band's third album in a row of the same ilk, meaning Wilson is no longer interested in pushing boundaries or going in new/different directions. For me, Signify is still the band's crowning masterpiece and its the best of its kind. But what came after it was still very good hard rock and FWIW, my favorite music of the last decade. PT is still an 'auto-purchase' for me.

So the term 'better' is a subjective term, but it certainly is different.

Troy
09-06-2007, 07:40 AM
Yes, the last 3 albums have been too similar to each other compared with the change/progression and growth on all the discs released up through In Absentia.

Practically unlistenable though? Uh, no.

Finch Platte
09-07-2007, 04:46 PM
As a relative (no relation) newcomer to the PT oeuvre, I really enjoy the later stuff more, as I'm a closet metalhead. Hearing the older stuff, I enjoy it, but it's a bit wimpy for my tastes. Too purty for me. :p

And focking Gavin Harrison on drums elevates them to a new, nay several levels of rawk. :3:

What Troy said, too.

fp

Edit: Does anyone know of any good mag/online interviews w/ Wilson and/or Harrison? I'd be interested in a Colin Edwin (bass) interview, as well.

PeruvianSkies
09-07-2007, 10:22 PM
AGREEEEE 1000%

you and I will def. be the minority here, but In Abstentia is practically unlistenable...

Long Live the old style

This was the album that became my first exposure to the band and I was not impressed...should I give this band a second chance?

unleasHell
09-08-2007, 04:18 PM
This was the album that became my first exposure to the band and I was not impressed...should I give this band a second chance?

yeah, try Signify or Stupid Dream!

more proggy-psychedlia and a lot less metal sounding...

PeruvianSkies
09-08-2007, 08:22 PM
yeah, try Signify or Stupid Dream!

more proggy-psychedlia and a lot less metal sounding...

That sounds more like it. I'll give it a shot.

bobsticks
09-08-2007, 08:25 PM
I like the In Absentia DVD-A.

3-LockBox
09-08-2007, 11:34 PM
The DVD is good. I like it. Will you buy it? I did.

enjoy

basite
09-09-2007, 08:40 AM
I like the In Absentia DVD-A.

I like the CD too...

however, I find Lightbulb Sun to be good too :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.