Sharing speakers between two amps? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sharing speakers between two amps?

kapnbill
09-05-2007, 08:42 AM
Hi,
I'm new to this forum. just discovered this website and I'm sure I can learn a lot here.

I have set of KEF reference series 103/4's connected to a Carver TFM-25 amp and Carver CT-17 in my den. I also have a tv connected to an inexpensive HTIB in the same room.

Ideally, I'd like to use the Carver/Kef setup for audio, and also use the Kefs for the front speakers for home theater (in lieu of the cheaper speakers that came with the HTIB).

Is it possible to use some type of switch to allow the Carver setup and the Home theater to share the Kef's? If this is possible I may swap a moderate priced AV Receiver for the HTIB.

FYI, my primary use is listening to music. I like watching movies but the home theater is second in priority. Also, I have had the Carver gear for about 16 years and am emotionally attached to it...

Any advice is certainly appreciated.

GMichael
09-05-2007, 08:50 AM
Hi,
I'm new to this forum. just discovered this website and I'm sure I can learn a lot here.

I have set of KEF reference series 103/4's connected to a Carver TFM-25 amp and Carver CT-17 in my den. I also have a tv connected to an inexpensive HTIB in the same room.

Ideally, I'd like to use the Carver/Kef setup for audio, and also use the Kefs for the front speakers for home theater (in lieu of the cheaper speakers that came with the HTIB).

Is it possible to use some type of switch to allow the Carver setup and the Home theater to share the Kef's? If this is possible I may swap a moderate priced AV Receiver for the HTIB.

FYI, my primary use is listening to music. I like watching movies but the home theater is second in priority. Also, I have had the Carver gear for about 16 years and am emotionally attached to it...

Hi, Welcome to AR.

Does you Carver CT-17 have any RCA inputs that you are not using? If you get an AV receiver with pre-outs, then you may be able to connect it to the Carver CT-17 & amp to drive just the fronts while the receiver drives the remaining speakers.

Otherwise, I do think that switching devices are available.

Eventually you'll want at least your center speaker, to match or come close to your KEF's.

Feanor
09-05-2007, 08:54 AM
Hi,

Do you suppose that an HTIB amp will drive your KEFs? What is the KEF's sensitivity, (usually express as, say, 86dB for 1 watt at 1 meter)? It had better be 90dB or better to have any hope with the HTIB.

In any case you will be disappointed by the sound relative to what you're hearing from the Carver.

GMichael
09-05-2007, 09:02 AM
My bad, you wouldn't need pre-outs. Just audio out on the receiver. The HTIB you have now might even have them.

kapnbill
09-06-2007, 10:38 AM
No, the HTIB wouldn't be able to drive the KEFS...For one thing, they are 4 ohm.

I don't see any way to link the HTIB to the carver. But If I buy a moderately priced A/V receiver, it looks like I can bridge over the carver amp to bypass the reciver left and right channels.

That would leave the CT-17 on the sidelines, but allow me to use the Carver amp for music, and would let the receiver drive a sub and the surround speakers. probably not a bad solution since th CT-17 doesn't have a subwoofer connection.

Does this make sense?

GMichael
09-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Yes & no. It should work. But most receivers will not be "as good" at proccessing as your current Carver. That being said, it should still sound very good.

And now you will need those pre-outs.

BRANDONH
09-07-2007, 04:53 AM
Hi,

Hello and welcome to the form.
Since I don't know what brand & model your home theater processor is (this would help me help you).

If the HT receiver has multichannel pre-outs [for use of external amplifiers i.e. front, center rear surround] it can be done. but most if the less expensive ones do not.

Anyway I am doing it using a HT receiver and a 2 channel preamp using the same amplifiers for the front channels.

http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/prod_lrg_images/662/204226662.jpg

http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/prod_images/255/90117255.jpg

http://www.buy.com/prod/speakercraft-elt05100-4-emitters-200mamp-regulated-power-supply/q/loc/111/90117255.html