Any Blues fans out there? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any Blues fans out there?

Number9
02-25-2004, 09:00 AM
What have you been listeining to? I'm listening to some old stuff. Clapton's double CD set "The Blues", Hendrix's "Blues" & Deborah Coleman's "Soft Place To Fall." Thanks, Michael

DarrenH
02-25-2004, 09:21 AM
I'm more of a blues/rock fan rather than traditional blues.

Gov't Mule
Ian Moore
Jonny Lang
Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Stevie Ray Vaughan

Of those listed Gov't Mule is where it's at with me. The Deep End series is stupendous. And the albums released when Alan Woody was still alive are equally as good or better. Warren Haynes is an outstanding guitarist and a tireless performer.

Warren's solo Tales Of Ordinary Madness should also be heard by those that dig Gov't Mule.

Darren

mad rhetorik
02-25-2004, 09:41 AM
While I appreciate classic blues artists like B.B. King, Leadbelly, Robert Johnson, Bo Diddley, Ray Charles, and Howlin' Wolf, I don't enjoy them as much as more modern, "rockier" blues interpretations. Jimi Hendrix, for me, was the finest modern bluesman, with Duane Allman and Stevie Ray Vaughan vying for second. Peter Green (formerly of Fleetwood Mac) is another modern great. Jimmy Page and Keith Richards, while obviously not straight blues, show heavy Delta Blues influence in their style and execution. I could also make a tenuous argument for Neil Young and Johnny Cash, who definitely had some degree of blues stylings in their music, but their influences are primarily in folk and country music, respectively.

For the most part, you can keep Clapton. Aside from Derek And The Dominoes (which was mostly carried by the great talents of Bobby Whitlock and the aforementioned Allman) and maybe his work with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Eric's guitar playing and singing have never really impressed me. Too whitebread, bland, and antiseptic to be called "blues."

Number9
02-25-2004, 10:32 AM
I have Warren's "Life Before Insanity." That was in the CD player for months. I think he's great. Michael

Number9
02-25-2004, 10:45 AM
What have you been listeining to? I'm listening to some old stuff. Clapton's double CD set "The Blues", Hendrix's "Blues" & Deborah Coleman's "Soft Place To Fall." Thanks, Michael
Albert King & Stevie Ray Vaughn "In Session" & Buddy Guy's "Damn Right I Got The Blues."

nobody
02-25-2004, 11:07 AM
I'm actually a bit of an old fuddy duddy when it comes to blues. I don't really like the more modern rock blues stuff that I hear a lot. I tend toward older acoustic styles of blues, with the occasional electric guitar thrown in.

In that vein, I highly recommend the 2 David Johansen & the Harry Smiths discs. They're both collections of covered blues tunes from the 30s-40s. The mostly acoustic band is top notch, Johansen puts in a great vocal performance, and the sound quality of the recordings are exceptional. Those two are just all-around top notch. I even have friends that are into the more modern blues stuff that greatly enjoy these two.

Always love John Lee Hooker too. He's got some more modern stuff with guests that sound more current, while still having a great back catalog of more classic stuff. I'm a big fan of his Real Folk Blues album. The album Folk Singer by Muddy Waters is similarly great.

Chip_B
02-26-2004, 06:15 PM
I like every genre and sub-genre you can think of: Mississippi to Chicago, the Piedmont Region to California, and all points in-between. I like the earliest stuff (Blind Willie Johnson, Robert Johnson, Blind Boy Fuller, Son House) through the 'golden era' (Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Sonny Boy Williamson, Little Walter Jacobs) to current Blues-Rock (Joe Bonamassa, Bernard Allison, SRV, Johnny Winter, Monti Amundson, Studebaker John and the Hawks, Radio Kings, Buddy Guy). I like acoustic Blues (Kelly Joe Phelps, Alvin Youngblood Hart), electric Blues, Folk Blues, country Blues, Delta Blues, and urban Blues too. I could easily name another 50+ bands/artists that I enjoy.

I haven't heard 'Soft Place to Fall'...how is it?

-Chip

dld
02-26-2004, 07:46 PM
Johnny Lang, Wander This World. Wonder why I bought it (not quite that bad, but its got a ways to go....)

Blind Boys Of Alabama

Sonny Landreth, The Road We're On. Personally, I like Outward Bound better. More Pop/Rock than Bluesy. Think I'm in the minority here.

Earl Hooker (Something about a Roach. I love it)

Jorma Kaukonen, bar B Que King and Blue COuntry Heart, more Americana

John Fahey, more of a folky sound

Bill Frisell, Intercontinentals. Just put it on, no opinion yet. Good reviews tho.

Sealed
02-26-2004, 10:21 PM
Local Vermont artists:
- Nobby Reed project
- Seth Yakavony

Tealarc/Audioquest:
Mighty Sam Mcclain (Gospel vocal/soulful blues)
Bruce Katz (jazzy blues)

hifitommy
03-14-2004, 08:27 AM
and you can really open your blue horizon by tuning into kkjz.org on saturday and sunday from 2p-7p.