PSB's new speaker line...."Synchrony" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : PSB's new speaker line...."Synchrony"

MikeyBC
09-03-2007, 11:48 PM
Well, now we know what they'll be called....read here. http://www.cepro.com/article/psb_unveils_synchrony_loudspeakers/K3

Feanor
09-04-2007, 05:57 AM
Well, now we know what they'll be called....read here. http://www.cepro.com/article/psb_unveils_synchrony_loudspeakers/K3

Judging by the prices and PSB website's description they aren't "flagship" but notched between the Platinum and 'G' series.

One wonders how many lines a medium-sized maker like PSB really needs. They now have six lines Sometime a maker designs a new series that is optimized for off-shore manufacture. Maybe this is the case here; certainly PSB's Alpha series made China, (where else?).

PeruvianSkies
09-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Most people don't realize the miles of technology and design that separates the G-Design up to the Platinums...this new speakers put a mile stopper in there.

anamorphic96
09-04-2007, 12:30 PM
What makes me wonder now is why would anyone by the larger Syncrony bookshelf when they can get the M2 for the same price. Makes me wonder if the Millenium series will be discontinued in the near future.

Whats the reason for the G-Design anyways. Why not make this new line the new Stratus series and offer a gloss black with them.

MikeyBC
09-04-2007, 02:36 PM
The Stratus line had been around for 15 years and people associated them as great music reproducers in their price bracket...I think they made a mistake by re-naming them. :nonod:

Its sad that their homepage portray themselves as a Home theater speaker company...actually every line has a matching center channel....I think they should have a line dedicated to 2 channel MUSIC only (just for the sake of marketing to the "2 channel music only" crowd). Even though their speakers are great for music there are still some people out there who perceive a line to be home theater speakers if there is a center channel in it. I think this may cost them a few buyers.

PeruvianSkies
09-04-2007, 06:38 PM
The Stratus line had been around for 15 years and people associated them as great music reproducers in their price bracket...I think they made a mistake by re-naming them. :nonod:

Its sad that their homepage portray themselves as a Home theater speaker company...actually every line has a matching center channel....I think they should have a line dedicated to 2 channel MUSIC only (just for the sake of marketing to the "2 channel music only" crowd). Even though their speakers are great for music there are still some people out there who perceive a line to be home theater speakers if there is a center channel in it. I think this may cost them a few buyers.

My first experience with PSB was the set of Status Gold's that a friend of mine had and he also had a second system with Image 4T's. I was impressed at their musicality for 2-channel more than anything else and I have always associated them with just great sound for music playback, in fact I was always amazed at how affordable they were in contrast to so many other companies out there. Since those days I have listened to numerous Status Gold's, Silver's, etc, plus the Image line as well and I am still amazed by how this company puts out solid product in various forms with excellent performance and again....great prices.

What most people don't realize is that the Platinum's were the first speakers where Paul Barton took out all the stop gaps and didn't consider money to be a factor this time around when it came to research and development and put everything into these speakers in order to offer the best of the best. The G-Design (from what I understand) came about as a 'refreshened' version of the Stratus with some new technologies integrated, I also agree that the name doesn't really help matters. If it were me, I would drop the Alpha line and start with the Image line, then Status, then the Synchrony, then Platinum.

PeruvianSkies
09-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Here are some pix...

PeruvianSkies
09-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Here is the price-guide for the new series...

Model Price
Synchrony One (5-driver tower) $4,500/pair
Synchrony Two (4-driver tower) $3,000/pair
Synchrony One B (6.5-inch "bookshelf") $2,000/pair
Synchrony Two B (5.25-inch "bookshelf") $1,500/pair
Synchrony One C (3-way center-channel) $2,000 each
Synchrony Two C (2-way center-channel) $1,300 each
Synchrony S (Tri-mode surround-channel) $2,000/pair

Feanor
09-06-2007, 05:58 AM
Here is the price-guide for the new series...

Model Price
Synchrony One (5-driver tower) $4,500/pair
Synchrony Two (4-driver tower) $3,000/pair
Synchrony One B (6.5-inch "bookshelf") $2,000/pair
Synchrony Two B (5.25-inch "bookshelf") $1,500/pair
Synchrony One C (3-way center-channel) $2,000 each
Synchrony Two C (2-way center-channel) $1,300 each
Synchrony S (Tri-mode surround-channel) $2,000/pair

First the prices seem a little too close to the Platinum series, e.g. Synchrony One B $2000 vs. Platium M2 ~$2500. What gives with that? My dark suspicion is that the Synchrony line is the off-shore line whereas the Platinum are possibly made in N.A.

Secondly, dang! those are a really handsome, understated cosmetics. 'Way better than the Platinum whose looks I personally don't much like.

basite
09-06-2007, 06:17 AM
they do look really nice, yes :)

If only there were PSB dealers I know of in belgium because I'd love to hear them. (well, those, and the platinum series like PS has :D)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

PeruvianSkies
09-06-2007, 05:29 PM
Secondly, dang! those are a really handsome, understated cosmetics. 'Way better than the Platinum whose looks I personally don't much like.

Funny that you should say that...I wasn't a big fan of the Platinum look when I first saw them released and only saw ONLINE pictures...then I saw a pair sitting at a dealer and I didn't even recognize them at first because they look much different in person. Pictures never do justice, but in this case the pictures make them look sterile and boring, in person they are warm, sweet, and just flat-out beautiful.

Luvin Da Blues
09-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Note to self;

Stay away from the PSB dealer, avoid the temptation to upgrade.

hmmmm...... wonder what the upgrade policy is with my dealer?

Just joking, they do look sweet and I'm sure that they sound as good as they look. I'll certainly be having a listen when the local guy gets these in.

PeruvianSkies
09-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Note to self;

Stay away from the PSB dealer, avoid the temptation to upgrade.

hmmmm...... wonder what the upgrade policy is with my dealer?

Just joking, they do look sweet and I'm sure that they sound as good as they look. I'll certainly be having a listen when the local guy gets these in.

There is a place about 30 miles away from me that is "a PSB dealer", yet they have not had the G-Design in still and I asked about the new Synchrony and it looks like they might get them in 2008. So what am I to do? Geesh. It's getting darn near impossible to get access to their speakers anymore.

Ajani
01-24-2008, 08:07 AM
Judging by the prices and PSB website's description they aren't "flagship" but notched between the Platinum and 'G' series.

One wonders how many lines a medium-sized maker like PSB really needs. They now have six lines Sometime a maker designs a new series that is optimized for off-shore manufacture. Maybe this is the case here; certainly PSB's Alpha series made China, (where else?).

From what I've read in reviews and press releases... the Synchrony are supposed to replace the Platinum line... they are 'supposed' to be the best PSB speakers ever built, but are cheaper than the Platinum because they were produced in China....

If the claims are true, then this is real good example of progress in the audio world.... Better for cheaper

Feanor
01-24-2008, 09:18 AM
From what I've read in reviews and press releases... the Synchrony are supposed to replace the Platinum line... they are 'supposed' to be the best PSB speakers ever built, but are cheaper than the Platinum because they were produced in China....

If the claims are true, then this is real good example of progress in the audio world.... Better for cheaper

... Progress in the global economy.

Energy, another "Canadian" company did the same sort of thing, that is, introduce a new line made off-shore.

The North American middle class and poor have endured falling real incomes in recent decades. They have survived mainly because of (1) U.S. goverment's deficit spending on account of the Iraq and Afganistan wars, (2) cheap imported goods, and (3) easy credit.

Nowadays we are seeing the easy credit evaporate and as income fall further and faster, foreign goods will seem relatively less cheap. And as the unsustainability of the war effort is acknowledged, jobs will be further impacted obviously affecting consumer spending power. As consumers on this continent are no longer able to spend with glutonous enthusiasm of late, a world-wide recession, even depression, looks like a like scenario.

manlystanley
02-17-2010, 06:36 AM
... Progress in the global economy.

Energy, another "Canadian" company did the same sort of thing, that is, introduce a new line made off-shore.

The North American middle class and poor have endured falling real incomes in recent decades. They have survived mainly because of (1) U.S. goverment's deficit spending on account of the Iraq and Afganistan wars, (2) cheap imported goods, and (3) easy credit.

Nowadays we are seeing the easy credit evaporate and as income fall further and faster, foreign goods will seem relatively less cheap. And as the unsustainability of the war effort is acknowledged, jobs will be further impacted obviously affecting consumer spending power. As consumers on this continent are no longer able to spend with glutonous enthusiasm of late, a world-wide recession, even depression, looks like a like scenario.

But on the plus side, eventually we'll become the 'developing economy' and then we can put the squeeze on China...... :yikes: