Mythbusters [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mythbusters

Monstrous Mike
02-25-2004, 08:52 AM
I just watched a series of shows of the same title on the Discovery Channel this week. Here is the link for more info: http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/mythbusters.html

I really like these guys and the approach they take. I doubt that cable sonics are of interest to the general public so I can't see them doing anything on that but I sure would love to hear their opinion.

In just going through the list of myths, it's really amazing how people believe in stuff and conclude that it is fact when it is really fiction. If anything, these types of shows should get you to think about how you formulate what you believe based on evidence or anecdote.

agtpunx40
02-25-2004, 10:15 AM
I especially liked the one where they were showing how fast you really have to spin a cd before it shatters by using a dental drill or something to spin and a silicon fake torso as a backstop.

Rockwell
02-25-2004, 11:23 AM
I doubt that cable sonics are of interest to the general public so I can't see them doing anything on that but I sure would love to hear their opinion.

Plus, I don't think they could blow stuff up while testing cable sonics. :)

Woochifer
02-25-2004, 11:37 AM
I loved that episode where they were testing whether body piercings make you more susceptible to attracting lightning strikes. (I could've done without seeing the host getting his tongue pierced, but oh well) That myth turned out to be true ... well, provided that your piercing is about the size of a door knob!

Yeah, I don't think audio cable testing would be nearly as interesting as seeing stuff get blown up and otherwise mutilated (like when they built that chicken cannon to test the effect that collisions with birds have on airplanes). A bunch of naysayers and yeasayers sitting around and getting into a pissing match on whether they can hear the differences between cables sounds like REALLY compelling television (YAWN!)!

junkeroos
02-25-2004, 01:48 PM
So did anyone here posted a suggestion on cable sonics to Myth Busters yet?

mtrycraft
02-25-2004, 10:27 PM
Plus, I don't think they could blow stuff up while testing cable sonics. :)

They could see how much current an 18ga wire will handle before melting. :)