DVD Changers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD Changers?

mr_sonus
09-03-2007, 04:10 PM
Hi All-

First post.
I am looking for a dvd changer- have done some research on line and it appears as if there simply aren't that many out there. Can anyone make any recommendations as to which ones are best? I have heard good and bad with the Sony 400 or the Pioneer 727.

Also, what do you guys use? Is everyone going the direction of media centers?

Thanks all

PeruvianSkies
09-03-2007, 04:37 PM
You won't find too many DVD changers out there, aside from maybe a few, but often times CD or even DVD changers are not optimal when it comes to Home Theater and Home Audio usage. The biggest reason is that most people are fine with changing a DVD and not having a carousel unit because often times people don't watch 5 movies at a time or have the need to go from one 2 hour movie to another without getting up to change it. CD's are a bit different as you can put them on Mix for parties and such. DVD's on the other hand are not as common, although I have a Sony 5-disc changer that does DVD's as well and I never use it for movie playback.

Also, the biggest reason is that single-loading trays are more durable and tend to be higher quality players than the 5-disc carousel units and the laser has a better chance of reading the disc and performing better. Those carousel units are usually more flimsy and such. If you are set on getting a 5-disc changer I would check out the Denon DVM-2845CI, which list price is about $500. It does SACD/DVD-A and is considered a Universal player, also with HDMI output. Sony as you mentioned also makes a few and the one I have also does SACD/DVD-A and is HDMI as well. However, side by side the Denon is a much better player than the Sony as it is built better and has better audio and video processing.

mr_sonus
09-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks Peruvian.

I suppose the reason for getting the changer is to store all of my dvds.
What else are people using today for mass storage? I'm really suprised that there aren't more mass storage units out there- maybe 5 years ago I'd agree with you re quality of carousel units- but ones that have a sticker price of 800 or so can't be that bad.

PeruvianSkies
09-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Thanks Peruvian.

What else are people using today for mass storage? I'm really suprised that there aren't more mass storage units out there- maybe 5 years ago I'd agree with you re quality of carousel units- but ones that have a sticker price of 800 or so can't be that bad.

Well, there aren't that many solutions out there in general and let me tell you...I have nearly 1500 DVD's and it's a pain, but all of mine are in their cases on shelves in my media room.
They take up a load of space, but I can access them all quite easily and they are in an order that enables me to find what I need quick enough. I never was a fan of those large changers because then you have to memorize or notate what is each position anyway, which seemed like too much of a hassle. The 5-disc changers are much more common.

I have a friend who made custom sleeves and compartments with his...and another friend who basically found a entertainment shelving unit that had smaller cupboards that opened up and had roll out drawers that you could store each DVD case onto and I think each tray held about 20-30 DVD's X 3 per cupboard X 6 cupboards, which made the storage around 360 DVD's, which wouldn't make a dent in my collection. However, it's a great discrete way to hold them.

Blue Meanie
09-04-2007, 04:32 PM

I fully understand your desire to store all your discs in a small area. To some of us, storage space/convenience is just as important as trying to wring out that very last pixel of picture quality.

The Pioneer F727 SEEMS to be slightly better, build-quality wise, compared to the Sony 995. But the Pioneer will not play homemade DVDs (if memory serves), nor is it upscaling (if these things matter to you).

I have no personal experience regarding the Sony 995 (400 disc) changer. But I DO have 2 older Sony 300 disc changers, and have had no problem with them for the last six or so years, FWIW.

Jeff

shokhead
12-23-2007, 07:58 AM
Sony as you mentioned also makes a few and the one I have also does SACD/DVD-A and is HDMI as well.

Wow!! Sony now does DVD-A, cool!

nabo
12-27-2007, 09:49 AM
For a while, I did not know exactly how to access randomly to a disc in a DVP-CX985V . Many people complained about the 100 button being on the unit so they had to get up and go to the player to push it in order to advance to a disc located in a much higher numbered slot. The other (and painful) option is to hold on to or - buttons until you reach the disc you want to play. Recently I have discovered how to do it with the remote and wanted to share the info. Here is how you do it: Without OSD (On Screen Display); 1- Select "DVD" position (using the selector switch on the upper part of remote) 2- Press "Display" 3- Press the right arrow by the "Enter" button 4- Punch in the desired disc number (1 to 400; any disc is selectable) 5- Press "Enter" button 6- Press "play" to play the selected disc. If you put OSD on the TV screen, follow the same instructions and you will realize why you have to follow the above described sequence. Hope this helps to know how to access to a desired disc in your DVP-CX985V without having to get off your seat. Cheers...

nabo
12-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Forgot to mention, I've been using the SONY DVP-CX985V for almost 4 years now without any problems. It takes 400 discs, organizing is a bit tedious but was worth it. I use a UPS to avoid set up/data loss in case of a power failure. The audio and video are both excellent. SACD is awsome. I'd recommend this or newer SONY units.

KcDraftsman
01-06-2008, 12:30 AM
jeff it looked like you had a DV-C302D changer, any problems with it? i push play on mine.....it sits there for a second then says stop......and thats it :( help? it has very few hours on it.

Blue Meanie
01-06-2008, 03:32 PM
jeff it looked like you had a DV-C302D changer, any problems with it? i push play on mine.....it sits there for a second then says stop......and thats it :( help? it has very few hours on it.

Yes, I've had it since new in 2000, and never had a problem. Don't know what to tell you about yours. Sounds like it is time to pop the hood and take a look. Hopefully something simple to fix.

Blue Meanie
01-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Hi,

I would recommend a UK site called www.easymultimedia.co.uk (http://www.easymultimedia.co.uk) which provides good support on CD duplication with software. It performs all important tasks for you like CD duplication with Standard or slim line CD Jewel Cases, CD duplication without Packaging, wrapped and supplied on Spindles, CD duplication With Cardboard Wallets or Cardboard Sleeves etc. at very low cost. Currently they are offering a 1000 with jewel cases for about £500. Just check this site out for more details as it might be useful and beneficial tool for you as well.

Whoa. I coulda sworn this was a thread about DVD changers, not CD duplication. Is the dosage of my meds off, or is it yours?:confused5:

Jeff

Rich-n-Texas
01-10-2008, 07:32 AM
It's a spammer.

Blue Meanie
01-10-2008, 12:41 PM
It's a spammer.

Thanks Rich!:thumbsup: Yeah, I finally figured it out after reading more of his/her posts. Good to know it's not my meds that are the problem, lol...

Jeff