Help with DVDA [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help with DVDA

salad 419
09-03-2007, 03:40 PM
After 3 weeks, I finally got the bit torrent Dark Side of the Moon DVDA downloaded.

I tried to burn it but it won't play in my DVD player. Does the player have to be able to play DVDA's, or did I just burn it incorrectly?

Thanks

musicman1999
09-03-2007, 05:59 PM
I don't think DSOTM was ever released on DVD-A, so who knows what you have there.

bill

PeruvianSkies
09-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Well, I also agree that there doesn't seem to be an DVD-A released legitimately for DSOTM, however there was a decent SACD release of it. My guess is that you don't really have a DVD-A file for the album and if you do, and it really is encoded as a DVD-A, then you would need a DVD player that also reads DVD-A to play it. I'd be curious to know what you have there.

Davey
09-03-2007, 06:20 PM
You'd need a DVD-A player to play the MLP lossless audio files, but it does have lossy DTS and Dolby too in the video section to keep it compatible with DVD players. Did you download and burn the whole thing?

<hr size=3 width="100%" align=center>
Dark Side Of The Moon
From the original 1/2" Master Tapes

This is the real deal. not the usual Q8 or SQ versions with all their limitations (limited bandwidth on the Q8, Matrixed surround on the SQ etc) but a genuine transfer from the original master tapes. Finally you can hear Alan Parsons mix as it was always intended to be heard in studio quality audio. The only "liberty" we have taken here is an additional .1 track. You can make up your own mind as to whether or not it is a worthwhile addition. It also features all new artwork in both sections specially created for this DVD-Audio release. The disc will play on all DVD players, as it is a DVD-Audio/Video "hybrid" containing the following:

Audio_TS
MLP Lossless at 24/96 Resolution in 4.1

Video_TS
DTS from 24/48 Source files
Dolby Digital from 24/48 Source files

Additionally, it is possible to play both the lossy streams from DVD-Audio players.
Each type has it's own menus. What you can access is dependant entirely on your player.

All Authoring, Encoding, Post Production and design is exclusive to this release.

FEEL FREE TO DISTRIBUTE THIS DISC TO OTHERS, BUT ALWAYS "AS IS" AND IN FULL.
PLEASE DO NOT RIP AND REPOST IN ANY OTHER FORMAT. THERE IS NO NEED AS ALL DVD PLAYERS CAN READ THIS DISC, AND DOING SO WILL DEPRIVE OTHERS OF THE FULL HIGH RESOLUTION FORMATS USED.
ADDITIONALLY, RIPPING TO DTS-CD WILL INVOLVE QUALITY LOSS DUE TO DOWN
conversion

The file is a Bit Torrent. Here is where you can get it.

http://www.torrentz.com/torrent_554608.html

BradH
09-03-2007, 10:31 PM
From the original 1/2" Master Tapes

Not to rain on anyone's parade but I think the original seeders were full of hot air.

PeruvianSkies
09-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Not to rain on anyone's parade but I think the original seeders were full of hot air.

I wasn't that impressed with the SACD of that album, so I doubt that I would that interested in a DVD-A (if one even exists), which is doubtful and if one did exist I would question the mix on it anyway. That album does need a new mix and remastering because the SACD was lacking in some areas.

Davey
09-04-2007, 07:12 AM

No doubt, but someone obviously digitized the Parson's 4-channel mix at some point because it doesn't appear to be some kind of matrixed and upsampled job. I doubt it's actually digitized from the masters, but wouldn't surprise me if it is first gen. Many respected listeners have claimed it's the best sounding digital version available, and as you probably know, there are threads about it on all the high end boards. Haven't heard it myself. Would be fun to see a spectral analysis and determine if the original sample rate was really 96K as claimed. Probably been done but I haven't followed it. Think it surfaced at least a couple years ago.

BTW salad, there's about 30 pages on it over at AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/printthread.php?t=655946&pp=30) with lots of burn help.

BradH
09-04-2007, 11:00 PM
No doubt, but someone obviously digitized the Parson's 4-channel mix at some point because it doesn't appear to be some kind of matrixed and upsampled job.

Ah, it's the Quad mix. I missed that detail. Still, you're probably right about it being 1st gen at best. I thought they were saying it was the 2-track master. Did you read the big interview w/ the ex-employee from MoFi who claimed they accidentally recorded 20 seconds of Supertramp over "Breathe"?

PeruvianSkies
09-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Ah, it's the Quad mix. I missed that detail. Still, you're probably right about it being 1st gen at best. I thought they were saying it was the 2-track master. Did you read the big interview w/ the ex-employee from MoFi who claimed they accidentally recorded 20 seconds of Supertramp over "Breathe"?

A few questions...

1. Can this be downloaded for Mac? If so where and how?
2. Once downloaded which program will play it on Mac?
3. If downloadable is it possible to burn it to DVD and or CD? Is there anything specific that needs to be done in order to burn it? Which program needs to be used in order to burn it?

I am curious and what to check this out, but don't seem to be able to get anything to work on my Mac.

BradH
09-05-2007, 04:02 PM
A few questions...

Sorry, I don't know anything about Macs or DVD burners. I don't even know if there's any BT software for Macs to download the thing in the first place.

Luvin Da Blues
09-05-2007, 06:50 PM
I wasn't that impressed with the SACD of that album, so I doubt that I would that interested in a DVD-A (if one even exists), which is doubtful and if one did exist I would question the mix on it anyway. That album does need a new mix and remastering because the SACD was lacking in some areas.

I have to admit that I was disappointed with this one to. I guess I was expecting more. I'm still glad I have it in my meager SACD collection tho. Cheers