slant 6 or mg12/qr [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : slant 6 or mg12/qr

accastil
09-03-2007, 10:41 AM
dudes,
just a simple poll...if all other things are considered equal, which speaker would you be choosing, an apogee centaurus slant 6, or a magnepan mg12/qr?

thanks for all your inputs.

Florian
09-04-2007, 08:56 AM
As an owner of a Apogee Caliper, Apogee DIVA, Apogee Grand plus a Acoustat Spectra 11 and a Magnepan 0.5 (model before the MG12) i would recommend the Maggie. Apogees are incredibly good speakers, but the Slant Series was not much upon it. It doesnt use a ribbon bass driver and most of the frequency range is done by a 6.5" driver. In the mid(high range the Apogee is better then the Magnepan but looses in integration, bass and soundstage.

Cheers

Florian

PS: Both systems need good electronics, the Maggie is more critical and power hungry then the Slant.

accastil
09-11-2007, 04:40 AM
thanks a lot Flo....i bought the mg12/qr and so far i cannot say anything bad about the mids and the highs. the bass is quite sufficient but im wanting for more especially when playing vinyls.

aside from a better bass slam, what other benefits do you think would i be enjoying if i would go for an mg1.6/qr this time? would this have more than enough bass slam for a room size of 10ft by 18ft by 11ft(height) as compared to the one im getting out of the mg12?

i still havent auditioned the apogee slant6 and therefore im not sure if this has a fuller bass than the mg12 or the mg1.6.

need you expert input once more. thanks in advance.

Feanor
09-11-2007, 05:48 AM
thanks a lot Flo....i bought the mg12/qr and so far i cannot say anything bad about the mids and the highs. the bass is quite sufficient but im wanting for more especially when playing vinyls.

aside from a better bass slam, what other benefits do you think would i be enjoying if i would go for an mg1.6/qr this time? would this have more than enough bass slam for a room size of 10ft by 18ft by 11ft(height) as compared to the one im getting out of the mg12?

i still havent auditioned the apogee slant6 and therefore im not sure if this has a fuller bass than the mg12 or the mg1.6.

need you expert input once more. thanks in advance.

accastil, I haven't owned the MG 12's but have owned MMG's and MG 1.6's which I still use. In simple terms the MMG's are inadequate speakers for anything but chamber music, (admittedly a favorite genre of mine), without a subwoofer, preferably with high & low pass filters at 80Hz. On the other hand the MG 1.6's are adequate for any accoustic music in medium-sized room.

10' x 18' is smallish but not too small for the MG 1.6's. My room is 11.5' x 20' -- not that much bigger. The bipolar rules must apply however, i.e. 2.5-3 feet from the wall behind the speaker and 1.5-2 feet from the side wall. (The narrower dispersion of the QR tweeters permits the speaker to be closer to the side walls than wider dispersion ribbons such as on the MG 3.6's.)

Basically the 1.6's are huge improvement over the MMG's. I suspect they are a significant improvement over the 12's but that's only a guess. I have no knowledge of the Apogees unfortunately. In any case, I whole-heartedly recommend the 1.6's for lovers of all types of accoustic music.

accastil
09-11-2007, 06:53 AM
tnx for the reply Feanor...does your SFL1 have a built in subwoofer output or are you just using the low frequency filter found in the subwoofer itself?

im worried they maybe a sort of leakage if id be using eh subwoofer's filter alone for this purpose.

it seems youve got me convinced in hunting for an mg1.6 this time :)...time to sell my mg12s..thanks!

Feanor
09-11-2007, 08:27 AM
tnx for the reply Feanor...does your SFL1 have a built in subwoofer output or are you just using the low frequency filter found in the subwoofer itself?

im worried they maybe a sort of leakage if id be using eh subwoofer's filter alone for this purpose.

it seems youve got me convinced in hunting for an mg1.6 this time :)...time to sell my mg12s..thanks!

No, my LINE 1 doesn't have a subwoofer output; I just connect left & right single-ended outputs to the subwoofer and rely on the sub's low-pass filter which is set to its miniumum of 50Hz. Meanwhile my 1.6's run full range but they cut off pretty steeply around 40Hz

In my environment, the small overlap of the sub and 1.6's, that is, the 40-50Hz range, isn't a problem. It won't be in most rooms assuming there is not strong room resonance in that range.

I'd bet you'll be please with at 12 => 1.6 upgrade.

Florian
09-13-2007, 03:42 AM
If you get the chance, try some of the 2 series Maggies. They use an actual ribbon driver. Maybe you can find one locally and give it a whirl. Real ribbons are the next step that in the current product line is only used in the 3.6 and 20.1 And if your budget grows you might try full ribbon speakers from Apogee or Analysis Audio (altough those use a quassi ribbon for the bass, heavier then the Apogee bass but very good nonetheless) :o

accastil
09-22-2007, 10:05 PM
If you get the chance, try some of the 2 series Maggies. They use an actual ribbon driver. Maybe you can find one locally and give it a whirl. Real ribbons are the next step that in the current product line is only used in the 3.6 and 20.1 And if your budget grows you might try full ribbon speakers from Apogee or Analysis Audio (altough those use a quassi ribbon for the bass, heavier then the Apogee bass but very good nonetheless) :o

which among would be best if i have a budget of 1800usd:
-mg1.6
-mg3
-martin logan monolith
-martin logan aerius
assuming every option is in good working condition.
my room is 10x18ft and ill be using a 225w solid state monoblock
tnx!

Florian
09-23-2007, 12:06 PM
which among would be best if i have a budget of 1800usd:
-mg1.6
-mg3
-martin logan monolith
-martin logan aerius
assuming every option is in good working condition.
my room is 10x18ft and ill be using a 225w solid state monoblock
tnx!

Mmmmh.... 1800 bucks :idea:

The MG3 will take the 1.6 out, no problem there. The ML Monolith is not for your budget (no offense) since they are old and repair is costly. I would go for the 3 first or get a 1.6 used and update their crossover :)

jrhymeammo
09-23-2007, 06:55 PM
FLo's suggestion is very interesting and I would take his comment very seriously. I was commited to get a pair of 12, but after hearing 1.6 QRs I was sold. I'll say the sound characteristic of 12s and 1.6 is very similar, but 1.6QR wasn that expensive compared to 12s and offered much bigger sound.
But if you are looking to get a pair of 1.6QR for more lower extension than your 12s then I would look for something else...

One of the shortcomings for 1.6QR is that they dont perform too well with certain types of music, especially snare drums on certain rock music. But for Jazz, Classical, and even Hiphop can sound very spacious and real-er.
Also, when I'm playing Rock, I need to pull them out towards me about 6 inches more, compared to other music. That just sounds better to me, and I have yet to figure out why that is.

For the cross-over, I feel like they are crap but probably shouldnt get into it...

Right now, I'm playing with factory supplied non-inductive resistors. Has anyone here played with other resistors? Say... 0.5 ohm 10 wattish?

I hope this helps.

JRA

jrhymeammo
09-29-2007, 11:48 AM
Right now, I'm playing with factory supplied non-inductive resistors. Has anyone here played with other resistors? Say... 0.5 ohm 10 wattish?

JRA

I thought I would post a reply..

I received a pair of Mills 0.5 ohms 12 watt resistors.

They sound so much better in my application.
I thought 1.6QR sounded slightly brightish without resistors, and sounded too boring with stock 1 ohm 10 watt resistors.

This allows me to think they provide a bit more bass while maintaining crispy highs.

JRA