What AMP & CD combo? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What AMP & CD combo?

conquest
09-02-2007, 06:22 PM
I'm looking to invest in an additional Amp & CD player specifically for Audio. I currently have a Marantz PM711AV and Pioneer DV444. Speakers are B&W DM603's and cables are Cable Talk 3.1. Sub is a JBL. (Fine, in my opinion, for movies but seriously lacking for audio)

Before my PM711AV I had a Marantz PM35MKII together with a Marantz CD?? (and at that time some Wharfedale bookshelf speakers). It was used in my small bedroom and I really liked the sound as it was less harsh and not as clinical as the others I had tested. It was a similar sound to my phono with extra clarity.

As that was nearly 20 years ago i'm sure things have come along way since then. I now have a 40Sqm living room with wooden floors. I'm considering the Marantz PM7001KI and the CD7001KI. My question is two fold: Should I be considering any other combination and if so what? If I do go for the Marantaz as mentioned is the "KI" really worth it?

Another question is can I wire up two amps to the same speakers? Obviously I will only have one amp switched on at the same time but would having two amps wired to the same speakers reduce sound quality to a level that is audibly noticeable? How should I proceed? (I would like to bi-wire which may also cause additional problems connecting the two amps to the same speakers)

All advice is appreciated :)

musicman1999
09-02-2007, 06:44 PM
If you mean 2 amps connected to one set of terminals for different uses,such as stereo and
home theatre,then that will not end well.There could be smoke.There are other ways of doing that,but could you clarify what you want to do.As for amp-cd suggestions,there are very many
at different price and performance points,What is your budget?Sorry i have not heard those Marantz,but they make decent stuff.

bill

conquest
09-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Cables: I will use the PM711AV for DVD's and the new two channel amp will be purely for Audio.

Budget: My budget is 1,000 Sterling / 2,000 US$. I'm looking for the same neutral (with a bias to warm) sound that I achieved with my old PM35. I want good complete range definition at low volumes without distorting at higher volumes. Note my room is 40Sqm with wooden floors and no carpets.

David C.

Mr Peabody
09-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Bill tells you right, you cannot have 2 amps hooked to one set of speakers at the same time. I only have one pair of main speakers which are shared by my stereo and HT, the best solution I found was to manually switch the cables at the speaker for whatever application I'm using. I use bananas for ease and quickness.

PeruvianSkies
09-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Cables: I will use the PM711AV for DVD's and the new two channel amp will be purely for Audio.

Budget: My budget is 1,000 Sterling / 2,000 US$. I'm looking for the same neutral (with a bias to warm) sound that I achieved with my old PM35. I want good complete range definition at low volumes without distorting at higher volumes. Note my room is 40Sqm with wooden floors and no carpets.

David C.

Do you have dealers in your area that you can test stuff out with?

conquest
09-02-2007, 07:51 PM
No, they tend to be one brand distributors so it's difficult to make good comparisons. I can take my original equipment to a shop and see the difference between mine and theirs but thats about it. When I was in the UK it was easier. I'm in Thaiand now.

conquest
09-02-2007, 07:52 PM
When I was living in Dubai they would bring a range of stuff to your house so you could test it there. That was cool.

musicman1999
09-02-2007, 07:58 PM
David
I take it you are located in England,have you checked out Cambridge Audio? They make quality gear at fair prices,check out 740c and 740a, might be a little over your budget but they both sound great.There is also a 640 series that is a little cheaper but still sounds good.
You can combine stereo and av gear in the same setup.Hook it up like this,front speakers to the integrated,other speakers to the reciever,cd player to the integrated,dvd to the reciever via coax hook up,reciever left and right preouts to the integrated.When playing cd only integrated is turned on running your front speakers only,when playing dvd also turn on reciever which outputs front left and right signal to the integrated then to front speakers.Be careful when calibrating speakers to set the integrated volumn control at specific level and always reset it to that level when watching dvd.This way only have to connect one amp to speakers and works well when set up proper.

bill

PeruvianSkies
09-02-2007, 08:03 PM
David
I take it you are located in England,have you checked out Cambridge Audio? They make quality gear at fair prices,check out 740c and 740a, might be a little over your budget but they both sound great.There is also a 640 series that is a little cheaper but still sounds good.
You can combine stereo and av gear in the same setup.Hook it up like this,front speakers to the integrated,other speakers to the reciever,cd player to the integrated,dvd to the reciever via coax hook up,reciever left and right preouts to the integrated.When playing cd only integrated is turned on running your front speakers only,when playing dvd also turn on reciever which outputs front left and right signal to the integrated then to front speakers.Be careful when calibrating speakers to set the integrated volumn control at specific level and always reset it to that level when watching dvd.This way only have to connect one amp to speakers and works well when set up proper.

bill

I was thinking the exact same thing about Cambridge...however...I wanted to find out where he was located first...he's in Thailand...that could be a challenge.

musicman1999
09-02-2007, 08:07 PM
Sorry i type slow.

check out

United car and home audio,in Bangkok.

bill

Mr Peabody
09-02-2007, 09:34 PM
Can you get Creek? The have a matching integrated and CD player called Evolution that runs $900.00 U.S. each. The integrated is 85 wpc into 8 ohms increasing into 4 ohms. The CD player is 24 bit/192 and has an array of power supplies for the various sections. This seems like a potent combo for the money. I have not heard them.

Musical Fidelity does the type of sound you describe but I'm not sure if they have a set in your price range.

conquest
09-02-2007, 10:04 PM

bill

Excellent! I'll print this advice off for future reference. Thanks.

I just had a look at the Azur 740A and 740C. They certainly look smart. Very clean lines and a nice piece of furniture. Reviews certainly are in their favour. Price is ok too. Unfortunately the Thailand distributor as listed on the Cambridge Audio website no longer deals with Cambridge. I'm keen to listen to them so I just hope that there is another dealer somewhere in Bangkok. I've written to Richer Sounds in the UK (the only email I could find) so hopefully they can help out.

Cheers guys! :)

conquest
09-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Looking at the 740A I can't see a phono input or a subwoofer output. Can I use the pre-out for the sub? Or can't you have a sub on a two channel Amp? (of course if i do as Bill suggests I will have already used my pre-outs. But then could I not use both amps with the CA740A runing the two main speakers and the PM711AV running the sub?)

Maybe I'm starting to show cracks in my knowledge of things hi-fidelity. :)

PeruvianSkies
09-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Can you get Creek? The have a matching integrated and CD player called Evolution that runs $900.00 U.S. each. The integrated is 85 wpc into 8 ohms increasing into 4 ohms. The CD player is 24 bit/192 and has an array of power supplies for the various sections. This seems like a potent combo for the money. I have not heard them.

Musical Fidelity does the type of sound you describe but I'm not sure if they have a set in your price range.

Speaking of Creek...I am considering getting a passive pre-amp from them...you know anything about them?

Mr Peabody
09-03-2007, 05:47 AM
Our Creek dealer went out of business a few years back but I have heard a couple of their integrated amps and have been impressed within their range. I had one of their little phono amps, the OBH-8, and it was excellent, a real giant killer. From my small experience and their rep, I have no doubt they make a fine product.

Mr Peabody
09-03-2007, 05:58 AM
David, what Bill was saying is to go from your receivers pre outs to your mains and run them into your integrated regular line input ie. AUX. Then when watching a movie you turn the integrated on, select the input the receiver is plugged into and use it as a slave for your front mains. Doing this there would be no cable switching. Some integrated amps actually offer a "HT bypass" or "theater through" just for this purpose. Without this feature you'd have to be sure the integrated's volume is at the same level each time you use the HT set up so your levels are all balanced. Either way this configuration would not use the integrated's pre out or in, leaving it to use for a sub if you wish.

The Creek Evolution has a phono input and the board can be ordered already installed into the amp. Creek makes very good phono preamps.