Sub-woofer won't work in surround [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sub-woofer won't work in surround

ForeverAutumn
09-02-2007, 08:44 AM
If our receiver is set with the surround off, our subwoofer works fine. If we turn the surround on, the subwoofer stops working. All the other speakers work when they're supposed to. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this problem?

The receiver is a JVC unit. We've tried the subwoofer on both DTS and Dolby Digital. And we've tried all the surround settings (movie & music) on the receiver. We've also tried several different DVDs. We just can't get the sub to work in surround.

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks.

GMichael
09-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Go into your manual settings. While in surround mode, make sure the the base output is set for either sub, or both. Then check the output level of your sub.
On my Yamaha, both of these are found in the "basic" manual settings section. Not sure where they will be with your JVC.

kexodusc
09-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Hi FA,
I agree with GM, usually it's a silly little setting in the receiver (perhaps DVD player) that basically isn't in the "subwoofer on" position. You need to tell your receiver you have a subwoofer, and that bass should be sent to the sub, or sub and speakers.

ForeverAutumn
09-03-2007, 09:28 AM
Hey guys. I feel silly that the solution was so simple. I went through the basic settings and made all the proper adjustments and now everything works great...including the subwoofer!

It also fixed some of the other issues that we were having that we thought were the receiver not working properly (we bought it real cheap as a refurb when we had no money and just needed something). The sound is so much better that I don't think that I need to buy a new receiver right now, afterall.

I'll still get a better receiver eventually. But I don't feel that it's as urgent now. As long as this one is working so much better, I'm going to try to wait until we actually buy a new house and then upgrade the whole system properly.

You guys ROCK! Thanks!

GMichael
09-03-2007, 11:27 AM
That's great FA. I'm glad it's all coming together now.