HELP! My receiver's talkin' smack! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HELP! My receiver's talkin' smack!

ackerman_ryan
02-25-2004, 06:48 AM
I'm relatively new to this so bear with my poor vocab...
I'm running a Yamaha HTR-5640 (6 or 8 Ohms) Receiver (open box special at Best Buy - $219), Magnavox DVD Player, Comcast Digistal Cable and 5.1 Yamaha NS-P320 surround speakers (6 Ohms). I've set the receiver to 6 Ohms

My receiver keeps shutting off when I get to about -38.00 dbls - which is plenty loud, but I don't think the capacity of my 60 watt fronts/40 watt rears. When I turn it back on I get a message flashing "Check Speaker Wires". The wires are new 14 gague, I've checked them and I'm using banna clips, so the speakers wires are fine.

I had this problem when I first set it up and was running two big Yamaha 8630 speaker towers (8 Ohms) up front and the 60 watt (fronts) as rears and center (6 Ohms). My receiver was set to 8 Ohms at the time, and the same message would flash when I went above -50.00 dbls. When I replaced the fronts with the NS-P320 5.1 surround set of speaker and set the receiver to 6 Ohms I thought I had the problem figured out. Lo and behold it's shutting off again, just at a higher decible. Why?

Additionally, I'd love to have it set-up where I can run my A channel with the surround system (6 ohms) and the B channel in another room with my towers (8 Ohms). Will this ever be possible?
Any help is much appreciated.
-Ryan

poneal
02-25-2004, 11:38 AM
The first thing that comes to mind is to check the polarity of the wires. Make sure that the red on the speaker is connected to the red on the receiver and same for black. Check all speakers. If you have already done that and its setup right then the only thing that comes to mind is that when the speaker dips down low into the ohm range the receiver isn't capable of driving that load so it shuts down.

Kursun
02-26-2004, 12:42 PM
* Be sure to give enough "breathing" space around the receiver to help it cool down.

* Do you have a subwoofer?
If not I would try adding one to the system. Bass frequencies stress the amplifiers most. Adding a subwoofer will take this burden off the shoulders of your receiver. You'll effectively add more power to your system. Be sure to select your speakers as "small" on your setup menu, as otherwise your receiver and speakers will continue operating full-range.

kelsci
02-26-2004, 12:57 PM
It is also a possiblity that the open box special was not so special. There could very well be a problem with the receiver. Follow Poneal's advice on the wiring and Kursun's advice on the space around the receiver.