new iPods! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : new iPods!

audio_dude
09-01-2007, 10:04 AM
well, they're just about here...4 days to be exact, apple is going to annouce (maybe release, dunno yet) new iPods on September 5th.

There are many, MANY rumors, but I'll post what I've sifted through and find most likely:

- Full touch screen OSX iPods (like iPhone...without Phone) might have wi-fi, but doubt it because of chunk of iPhone sales it would then take away. These are the REAL video iPods
-A more tradition iPod (kinda like the video we have today. This model would be the one to come in the GIGANTIC capacities (the full screen one may or may not be flash, i hope not.)
as big as maybe even 160gb.
-New nano, video enabled, leaked pictures put it as a short and squat square type shape (who knows if these are actually real...) kinda like a video iPod gets get shorter meet nano type thing.
-A traditional nano type thing, probably just an update of sorts to the existing one.

what would make this from "expected" to "wow":
-iPhone mini, or at least a full software update fixing the flaws for existing iPhone, and allowing developers to make programs for it.
-this might be iPod only, but who konws maybe they'll throw in some MacBook stuff in there to really make us happy :P

Happy trying-to-figure-out-what-the-hell-apple-is-doing-behind-those-doors-on-infinity-loop.

audio_dude
09-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Ok, so the new iPods are out today

we have:

"Fat" nano: its shorter and stouter than before, but thinner i believe. Holds 4 and 8 gigs. Out today.
iPod classic: All metal body, super thin, comes in 80gig model which is thinner than the 30gig 5g, and 160gig which is thinner than original 80gig. Out today.

and...

the iPod Touch! the long awaited touch screen, wi-fi, super do everything iPod thats gonna make the iPhone cry in AGONY! w00t w00t! (well, the iPhone got a price drop me thinks)

Out sometime in the next few weeks (this month.)

Rich-n-Texas
09-05-2007, 03:55 PM
I thought this was more spam until I saw who it was from.

nightflier
09-05-2007, 03:56 PM
I checked out the press release too, and I have a few questions:

- With the iPhone down to $399, won't that irk all the early adopters who paid $599 just a little over a month ago?

- If the iPhone has everything the iPod has at the same price, why would anyone want an iPod?

- If the iPod is OSX and has WiFi built-in, is'nt there a software option that would make it essentially just like the iPhone around WiFi hotspots (something like Vonage, but with a decent interface and no fees)?

- Is the iPhone still only available with AT&T? And how will that work when it is released in Europe and the far East?

Personally, what is killing my enthusiasm with this product is the closed-source restrictions. Since OSX is essentially a FreeBSD clone, I find it particularly galling that Apple decided to restrict access to the OS in the same way they did with their older OSes - it failed for Apple then because no one wanted to develop for it, and it very well could fail for them again. Sure I welcome the hardware innovations like the touch-screen and intuitively integrated WiFi and music player, but the restrictions are a bitter pill to swallow.

audio_dude
09-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Well, nightflyer, the iPhone early adopters have been offered a $200 rebate because of the price drop. If you bought one in the last 14 days, you can just go to a store and get the money back, if earlier, its a little more complicated, but i don't feel like going into it (google it!)

And the iPhone is still $100 more expensive than the iPod touch ($399 vs. $299) and the capacity and the contract are the factors. The iPhone for 399 has 8gigs of storage. the iPod touch for that price has double that, 16gigs.

You can't do a wi-fi vonage type thing becase the Touch lacks the Mic and Speaker XD

When the iPhone is released in europe, they will ether find one service provider to sell it, or just give it to everyone. In Canada, Rogers wireless (UTTER CRAP WIRELESS :P) is the only provider using GSM, and they are in talks with apple right now actually.

The reason apple closed the OS for the iPhone is because they didn't want third party developers screwing up the software. Also, by closing it, they basically eliminate iPhone viruses (they coming...just wait...) Yeah, if you REALLY want your own software in it, then hack it, its not too hard.

I dunno which one I'll get next time I upgrade. I may go for an iPod classic, or maybe splurge for the iPod Touch, which is $50 more pricey (with....1/10 the capacity...)

Ah well, pay for the innovation.

BTW, what's your opinion on the new "fat" nano?

RGA
09-08-2007, 08:33 PM
I am not sure that I get the Apple players.

What is the point of mp3 devices? Answer to play back music.

Looking over at CNET they claim that Creative and iRiver have FAR better sound quality than the Apples

So I guess from my audiophile perspective why would I pay money for a feature box that sounds poor when I could buy something that sounds better for less.

And in fact looking through the iRiver models it seems in fact that they sound better and also do a lot MORE and cost a lot LESS.

:sosp:

audio_dude
09-08-2007, 09:06 PM
well, the average person doesn't exactly have "nice" headphones. and apple has much improved the sound quality of iPods of the last while.

I do agree, creative and iriver players have nice sound quality, but creative is an AUDIO company. Yeah, its 1 am...and i'm...going to sleep now...i'll finish this post in the morning.

GMichael
09-09-2007, 06:49 AM
I am not sure that I get the Apple players.

What is the point of mp3 devices? Answer to play back music.

Looking over at CNET they claim that Creative and iRiver have FAR better sound quality than the Apples

So I guess from my audiophile perspective why would I pay money for a feature box that sounds poor when I could buy something that sounds better for less.

And in fact looking through the iRiver models it seems in fact that they sound better and also do a lot MORE and cost a lot LESS.

:sosp:

Thanks. Worth looking into.

N. Abstentia
09-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Well, nightflyer, the iPhone early adopters have been offered a $200 rebate because of the price drop.

That's not entirely accurate, actually. The $200 rebate is only good for those who bought the iPhone within the last 2 weeks and still have the original receipt.

Early adopters get a $100 Apple store credit.

However, Apple is still giving out the Vaseline for free so that's great news for Apple supporters. The Vaseline deal applies to not only iPhone users, but also to iPod users who are being told that they have to replace their current iPods with the new $399 model, otherwise they will be viewed as 'uncool' and will no longer fit in with the Apple Lifestyle.

This is great news for all the unemployed hippies sitting out in front of Starbucks sipping on a Cafe Mocha Latte Frappuchino Java Whip.

RGA
09-10-2007, 07:48 AM
CNET on the nano 3

Performance
Despite the major interface overhaul, the iPod Nano's sound quality still sounds just middle-of-the-road. Although middling sound quality doesn't seem to affect iPod sales, you'd think Apple would eventually address this chink in the iPod's armor, if only out of pride. Users do get more than 20 equalization presets to choose from, ranging from subtle enhancement to dramatic bass boosting. Compared to products such as the Creative Zen V Plus, the Cowon iAudio 7, or the Toshiba Gigabeat U, however, the iPod's sound quality still leaves room for improvement.

Speaking of Cowon -- WHO??????

Performance
Cowon consistently produces some of the best-sounding MP3 players on the market. No other manufacturer offers so many useful and customizable sound enhancement features. Does it sound better than an iPod? No question. Listening to Timbaland and Magoo's "It's Your Night" with a dash of Mach3Bass enhancement made the kick-drum thick and snappy--not just louder. A live recording like Gillian Welch's "I Want to Sing That Rock & Roll" presents a great stereo soundstage right out of the box, but with the MP Enhance setting switched on and the 3D Surround setting turned up halfway, the live sound becomes much more vivid.

The bottom line: The Cowon iAudio 7 beats the industry heavyweight iPod Nano in price, features, battery life, and sound quality. The user interface could use some refinement, but all-in-all this is a very impressive MP3 player.

41 hours of audio playback on the battery -- that is nearly double the iPod!!!!!!!!

http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/cowon-iaudio-7-4gb/4505-6490_7-32491087.html?tag=txt

Creative Zen - more features better sound lower price - http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/creative-zen-v-plus/4505-6490_7-31960038.html?tag=txt

iRiver Clix

Coming in 2GB, 4GB, and 8GB capacities at $149.99, $199.99, and $249.99 (respectively), the new Clix is set to give competing flash-memory players a run for the money. It's simply the best flash player on the market in terms of overall quality.

http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/iriver-clix-4gb-second/4505-6490_7-32327766.html?ar=o&tag=pdtl-list

Sorry but IMO the apple ipod is pure hype and a me too product. I understand that its big advantage is integration (whatever that's supposed to mean) and that you can connect it to various poor sounding gimmicky overpriced portable docking bays hooked to $2.00 dollar speakers they charge $150.00 for but hey it's white and see though so it's cool!

I don't get it:nonod:

Feanor
09-10-2007, 08:48 AM
The new iPods look good to me but then I'm not a critical portable device user. One or twice a week I listen to my iPod Mini, (4GB), while walking to work. I use a pair of AKG headphones, not the stock ear buds: they make a big difference.

Now here's the thing. My library consists almost exclusively of CDs ripped to Apple Lossless. That pretty much ties me in to iPod. So far I haven't had a big problem with that. (I can used Foobar2000 instead of iTunes for playback to my stereo system, but usually I just use iTunes because the interface is prettier.)

If / when my Mini dies, I'll probably replace it with the latest Nano 8GB model.

audio_dude
09-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Yeah, when I got my first iPod (a beautiful green 4gig mini) I bought it because it was the best player availible for the money basically. So...naturally, when it broke...i bought the high end beat all and end all 30gig video iPod (everybody I knew [ie: school] had nanos, and the video was pretty impressive, plus, playing "Ask a Ninja" for everyone was pretty awesome)

Yeah, well, I bought a used third gen iPod since well..its the best iPod ever made...(everyone loves touch sensitive buttons! and its just a beauty) yeah, and my whole music collection was in apple lossless or AAC...soo...

You just get used to the iPod...its a portable player...you won't be doing any critical listening on the go. And I can personally say, the headphones DO MAKE THE DIFFERENCE!

Meh, right now I use the 30gig third gen (my video was stolen :'( ) and...a 2 gig nano (just for walking around with, its light and fits well into my pockets.

anamorphic96
09-12-2007, 09:20 PM
The new iPod Classics are up to 40 hour battery life.

nightflier
09-12-2007, 09:26 PM
The question is whether Apple still has what it takes to sustain its marketing advantage. I can think of a few reasons Apple should worry:

1. For one, it's competing with its own products. The iPhone is identical to the iPod, but does more. Will half the capacity make that much of a difference? I doubt it - when's the last time you filled up 8Gb?
2. Second, it is still priced higher than any other manufacturer.
3. Third, it doesn't listen to customer complaints about sound quality. Just a $20 pair of headphones will make a big difference, but they stick with those crappy $2 jobbies. With a pair of Etymotics, the iPod & iPhone sound night & day better.
4. Fourth, the majority of the docking stations all emphasize features over sound quality, thus adding to the critique about the iPod having crappy sound.
5. The amp in the iPod is another contributor to the weak sound. Just add a Headroom amp, with everything else being equal, and the difference is quite audible.
6. Too many choices. With all the old models still selling in addition to the new ones, there are far too many models to choose from. Kind of like all the different flavors of MS Windows available.
7. How many people will be replacing an old iPod for a new one? Are the new features that much more compelling? Are they enough to justify the price?
8. While Apple's lossless codec is good, most young people are using compressed files instead, thus adding to the criticism about sound quality.
9. Apple is still banking on the fact that no one has hacked the OS yet. Someone will, and when they do, it will hurt their bottom line.
10. No viruses? I remember Windows 2.0 touting that same claim when they were only a small share of the market. Then it was Windows NT making the claim. Well guess what, when you are the market leader, you also become the biggest target. It's coming folks, it's only a matter of time.

Having borrowed an iPhone for a couple of days, I can concur that it is incredibly addictive. I also can see how many of the features I never thought I would use, will become useful over time. But in the end, the fact that it does not work on my company's wireless provider (Verizon) is a deal-killer. Nice try, but not if it won't work on our phone plan. If they go into Canada and Europe with the same one-company-only plan, they will cut themselves out of a large portion of the market. And the longer they wait to bring other carriers on board, the longer the Creatives, Cowons, and Googles have to make competing and even better products.

audio_dude
09-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Well, in canada there is only ONE gsm provider anyway...so we're kind screwed over.

But...the think i love about the iPod touch is that it's got the wifi...I've always wanted the web in my pocket.

Well, those are all good points (most pertaining to sound quality, which can be fixed with an amp and decent 'phones.

Oh yeah..and the iPhone has been unlocked, so buy one, download the crack and pop in that sim card!