Infinity classics? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Infinity classics?

infinityfan
09-01-2007, 02:31 AM
I just want to know which Infinity you like the most, the RSlll or the Kappa 8, these are old models, both are audiophile quality, what's your personal experience with these speakers?
I listened both and they sounded very nice.
I would like to know your opinion.
Thanks!

infinityfan
09-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Anybody?
Does anyone owned these models?

PeruvianSkies
09-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Anybody?
Does anyone owned these models?

Looks like no one has. Not only that, but I hate to break some bad news to you, but there are not exactly 'audiophile-grade' speakers. Infinity makes some decent stuff, mostly for Car Audio, but in the world of HiFi audio and HT usage...they are average at best.

GMichael
09-04-2007, 06:12 AM
Infinity has made some great speakers over the years. But I don't know which models fall into that class. I have the Primus 360's and 150's. These are far from audiophile class, but are great bang for the buck speakers.

There are some nice reviews on Infinity's here: http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/infinity-systems/floorstanding-speakers/MPL_928_1594CRX.ASPX

Looks like the Kappas get the nod.

basite
09-04-2007, 06:30 AM
Looks like no one has. Not only that, but I hate to break some bad news to you, but there are not exactly 'audiophile-grade' speakers. Infinity makes some decent stuff, mostly for Car Audio, but in the world of HiFi audio and HT usage...they are average at best.

maybe you should look up those vintage infinitys... :ihih:

they might not make audiophile stuff these days, but they made speakers where you would kill for back in the good days...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Florian
09-04-2007, 08:14 AM
The IRS V, IRS Epsilon, Simga, Delta, IRS BETA, RSIIB and the Kappa Series will eat most modern speakers typically owned in a hifi forum for breakfast. But they require equipment to make them sing that most owners of average modern hifi gear simply dont feel they need.

http://www.infinity-classics.de/infinity/index.htm

infinityfan
09-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks guys, there's no doubt that newer Infinities aren't the same quality as the older models!

BTW, PeruvianSkies, you need to educate yourself about good taste because you don't know what you're talking about, the vintage Infinity is one of the best audiophile speaker ever made, not to mention the $60k IRS model from the 90s, these speakers like the RS and Kappa series can outperform speakers that cost twice as much, and I have no doubt!
What's your personal experience with vintage Infinity home audio? "NOT CAR AUDIO"
Please give me details of your statement!

Mr Peabody
09-04-2007, 06:21 PM
I owned a pair of Kappa 7's for years. I had the woofers re-coned and my brother is still using them today. The Kappa 8's are very good but prone to wild impedance swings, so you will need an amp with some current. And the 9's.... I've seen them make many a amp go up in smoke. I'm not sure about the other model. The Kappa's were colored, my 7's had a powerful mid-bass and those dome mids were built by Vifa but a nice sound nonetheless.

bobsticks
09-04-2007, 06:31 PM
http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/s/f/1151206268.jpg

http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/s/f/1151206264.jpg

http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/s/f/1151206265.jpg

Not a bad gig for car audio. How do ya fit the Pass Labs in the trunk? :D

PeruvianSkies
09-04-2007, 06:36 PM
I just want to know which Infinity you like the most, the RSlll or the Kappa 8, these are old models, both are audiophile quality, what's your personal experience with these speakers?
I listened both and they sounded very nice.
I would like to know your opinion.
Thanks!

Don't ask for my opinion then if you don't want to hear my response. Besides if you have heard both then you can make up your own mind and don't need our OPINION on the matter.

infinityfan
09-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Don't ask for my opinion then if you don't want to hear my response. Besides if you have heard both then you can make up your own mind and don't need our OPINION on the matter.
Sorry but I didn't ask for you particular opinion only, I understand you concept on this matter but I completely disagree, Thanks anyway let's allow other members give their own opinion.
BTW, you never said why vintage Infinity is average and non audiophile, if you can't explain why, it means you just doing a good guess job.

PeruvianSkies
09-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Sorry but I didn't ask for you particular opinion only, I understand you concept on this matter but I completely disagree, Thanks anyway let's allow other members give their own opinion.
BTW, you never said why vintage Infinity is average and non audiophile, if you can't explain why, it means you just doing a good guess job.

Probably because we have a different opinion on what 'audiophile' is. It's not about price, but more often than not 'audiophile-grade' speakers are going to cost a decent sum of money. A person who is an 'audiophile' is someone who is never satisfied when it comes to quality and is always looking for something better when it comes to musical reproduction, and this also involves another component which is the passion for music and the artform.

Audiophile grade speakers would be something like Apogee, Dali, Gryhon, MBL, and some of the flagship speakers from B&W, ML, and many others.

You did ask for my opinion in your original post because you asked for "OUR" opinions, which includes anyone and that means that whether you agree with a response, you can't get upset just because you don't agree when you asked for opinions in the first place. What would have made you happy....everyone to respond with the same level of enthusiasm that you obviously have for Infinity? That wouldn't be much of an opinion because they would all share yours.

And I will beat you to the punch on this as well...I don't consider my equipment audiophile-grade either...I am slowly working towards that level, but have a long way to go and I realize that and accept that. It's a process and the important part is to stay involved in that process.

infinityfan
09-04-2007, 11:45 PM
Probably because we have a different opinion on what 'audiophile' is. It's not about price, but more often than not 'audiophile-grade' speakers are going to cost a decent sum of money. A person who is an 'audiophile' is someone who is never satisfied when it comes to quality and is always looking for something better when it comes to musical reproduction, and this also involves another component which is the passion for music and the artform.

Audiophile grade speakers would be something like Apogee, Dali, Gryhon, MBL, and some of the flagship speakers from B&W, ML, and many others.

You did ask for my opinion in your original post because you asked for "OUR" opinions, which includes anyone and that means that whether you agree with a response, you can't get upset just because you don't agree when you asked for opinions in the first place. What would have made you happy....everyone to respond with the same level of enthusiasm that you obviously have for Infinity? That wouldn't be much of an opinion because they would all share yours.

No I'm not upset, why should I be!
You reply was somehow nonsense, since you never explain or given a reason why do you think classic Infinity to be average and non audiophile material, I will like very much for you to explain why, that's all.
Of course all people have different opinions, but again you never said if you had any bad listening experience with classic Infinity.
What separates Infinity classics from true audiophile speakers in your opinion??
Anyways, my thread is about a review between Infinity RSlll and the model Kaapa8, so I don't know what this have to do with my question?

basite
09-05-2007, 03:13 AM

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree...

IMO, an audiophile is someone who wants to get the best possible sound out his system. wether this means component upgrading or tweaking. And if you're never satisfied, you're rather obsessed than being an audiophile, after all, don't we find satisfaction when we hear the effects of the changes we made?

and if these speakers ...

http://www.infinity-classics.de/infinity/models/IRS-series+Beta+Gamma-Delta-Sigma-Epsilon-1988-95-98/IRS/IRS_11_1.jpg

http://www.infinity-classics.de/infinity/models/IRS-series+Beta+Gamma-Delta-Sigma-Epsilon-1988-95-98/IRS/IRS_9_1.jpg

http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/s/f/1151206264.jpg
(I'd kill for that room alone)

...aren't audiophile grade, then which ones are? definately not your flagship B&W's...

Peace,
Bert.