Bosom Buddies... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bosom Buddies...

PeruvianSkies
08-31-2007, 10:52 PM
Remember the show BOSOM BUDDIES from 1980 starring Tom Hanks? Well, below are two clips of the opening to the show. The first is with the original music using the song MY LIFE by Billy Joel. It works so well for the premise of the show and is used incredibly well. However, for some odd reason another horrible song was used for the DVD edition of the show, for those that are fans. This song changes the entire tone of the show and to put it lightly...makes the relationship between these two bachelors...well, gay. I don't have a problem with people that are gay, but I do have a problem when things like this are done and it's flat-out criminal. I am not a fan of the show, but this is interesting for sure. Check it out for yourself...if this isn't pathetic I don't know what is!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0aoZmgvkXXo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0aoZmgvkXXo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D3ABmOhSztw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D3ABmOhSztw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

pixelthis
09-01-2007, 05:21 AM
what a hoot.
"Right behind you"? GOD!
You weren't there, but "bosom buddies" was about the gayest of a bunch of eighties sitcoms with "ambigously gay" characters. And was extremely funny btw.
Gays wanted to be taken seriously, they got bosom buddies.
Well, it was a start at least

GMichael
09-01-2007, 06:39 AM
That show had a few gay overtones. I think it was part of the humour they were going for. Two guys, dressed as women? Sure, that doesn't make them gay, but it was close enough for the times in the 80's. It shows the mind-set of the time.
And a funny a$$ show at the time. I watched it every week back then.

JohnMichael
09-01-2007, 09:46 AM
Now for the gay perspective on the original show. I watched the show but never felt like it was representing gays in any way. Now if they had good drag queens, the kind that make women jealous, and were not hounding after the women it might have been more interesting. It was going to be a few more years before a show represented gays. Of course I did always wonder about the Walton boy who played the piano.:lol:

PeruvianSkies
09-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Now for the gay perspective on the original show. I watched the show but never felt like it was representing gays in any way. Now if they had good drag queens, the kind that make women jealous, and were not hounding after the women it might have been more interesting. It was going to be a few more years before a show represented gays. Of course I did always wonder about the Walton boy who played the piano.:lol:

So in your opinion then....does the changing of the theme song change the overtone of the show?

Smokey
09-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Well, below are two clips of the opening to the show. The first is with the original music using the song MY LIFE by Billy Joel. It works so well for the premise of the show and is used incredibly well. However, for some odd reason another horrible song was used for the DVD edition of the show, for those that are fans.

This actually might not be the fault of show producers as they might have not been able to obtain the rights to the Billy Joel theme song.

Same theme song issue with DVD edition of Married With the Children. Columbia Tri-Star was unable to obtain the rights to the show theme song (Love and Marriage, by Sinatra). So they replace opening sequence/ending credits with a new instrumental theme song.

Groundbeef
09-04-2007, 08:50 AM
This actually might not be the fault of show producers as they might have not been able to obtain the rights to the Billy Joel theme song.

Same theme song issue with DVD edition of Married With the Children. Columbia Tri-Star was unable to obtain the rights to the show theme song (Love and Marriage, by Sinatra). So they replace opening sequence/ending credits with a new instrumental theme song.

BINGO!!!!!

There are lots of shows that have either NOT gone to DVD specifically because of the licensing issues, or as noted above have simply changed the music to "beat" the issue.

So you need to ask yourself, is watching the show OK, even if the opening theme is different? And its not just theme music either. There are also shows that used music during the production, and that also needs to be licensed.

This article is a bit dated from 2005, but in essence answers the OP's question:

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/news/2005/03/66696?currentPage=all

Hope that helps.

PeruvianSkies
09-04-2007, 11:10 PM
BINGO!!!!!

There are lots of shows that have either NOT gone to DVD specifically because of the licensing issues, or as noted above have simply changed the music to "beat" the issue.

So you need to ask yourself, is watching the show OK, even if the opening theme is different? And its not just theme music either. There are also shows that used music during the production, and that also needs to be licensed.

This article is a bit dated from 2005, but in essence answers the OP's question:

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/news/2005/03/66696?currentPage=all

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the article. Here is the problem that I see with the whole issue. The first is that if there is copyright issues that is one thing and that replacing the music (if a last option) has to be enforced then at least change it to something that still represents the original music. If you take my initial instance with BOSOM BUDDIES the two songs that are used are total opposites and completely change the tone of the show, even if it is the opening that is a key point at the beginning of every show and once you see the opening then you are automatically thinking things about their relationship that are not true.

I know that it might seem like I am making a big deal out of this, but these little things matter and think of it like this....

Imagine if they decided to change the theme song to CHEERS...remember that show? Of course, it's a classic show from the 80's as well. Now, the theme song really has a big part to do in the 'tone' of the show....'where everybody knows your name' is a ethos of the show and has a large part to do in the overall crux of the show. Now if that music was suddenly changed to "Working for the Weekend" by Loverboy that sorta changes the concept of the show to some extent. It might seem minor, but these things do matter.

musicman1999
09-05-2007, 05:10 AM
WKRP had to do the same thing when they went to DVD,it is a common practice.Blame Billy Joel i suppose,thinks the song is worth more now than it was nearly 30 years ago.If i had watched the DVD and thats a big if,it was not a good show,i don't think i would have even noticed the difference.You can't compare to Cheers however one went 11 years and was loved by millions,the other 21 episodes and was not loved by millions.
I do agree that it is sad that this happens just don't think Buddies had that much of a tone.

bill

Groundbeef
09-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the article..

Your welcome. Unlike other trolls, I actually try to be helpful.

I know that it might seem like I am making a big deal out of this, but these little things matter and think of it like this.....

Oh, no not at all. A hit show from the 80's? And they did what to the theme music? Oh the humanity!

Imagine if they decided to change the theme song to CHEERS...remember that show? Of course, it's a classic show from the 80's as well. Now, the theme song really has a big part to do in the 'tone' of the show....'where everybody knows your name' is a ethos of the show and has a large part to do in the overall crux of the show. Now if that music was suddenly changed to "Working for the Weekend" by Loverboy that sorta changes the concept of the show to some extent. It might seem minor, but these things do matter.

I agree with you on the point for Cheers. It would change the dynamics but at least for me...only for a moment. I would then spend the next 22 minutes just watching the show. Something like WKRP where the music actually had to be changed throughout the show to meet requirements would actually suffer more.

But, what are you gonna do? I guess if you are in the market for long dormant shows, you have to decide if 90% or more of the original content will do. If not, vote with your wallet.

PeruvianSkies
09-05-2007, 09:58 PM
I agree with you on the point for Cheers. It would change the dynamics but at least for me...only for a moment. I would then spend the next 22 minutes just watching the show. Something like WKRP where the music actually had to be changed throughout the show to meet requirements would actually suffer more.

Well, my stance is that why even change those dynamics for a moment...if they just replaced it with a song that still has a similar vibe and tone, then it wouldn't be awkward at all, I mean did you play the clip I attached with the new music? It's just all wrong!

Groundbeef
09-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Yes, the point is taken. But we have to work in the confines of the law, and if the artist wants to demand extreme payment for the inclusion of his/her works in a 20 year old show, be mad at them. Not the show.

PeruvianSkies
09-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Yes, the point is taken. But we have to work in the confines of the law, and if the artist wants to demand extreme payment for the inclusion of his/her works in a 20 year old show, be mad at them. Not the show.

I am not mad at the show, I brought this up as a good illustration of how a piece of art (whether it be a TV show or movie or whatever) can have a totally different meaning and direction by changing out the theme music...I generated this thread for discussion, that is kinda the purpose of a forum.

Groundbeef
09-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Yep.

Well, can't really argue with you that it changes perhaps the initial few seconds, but honestly, if I owned a show on DVD, I seriously doubt I would watch the opening music montoge every time anyway. Perhaps its a reflex after owning a Tivo for 5 years. I cut out the crap, and get on with the program.

Honestly, do you watch every opening credits to the Bosom Buddies? Or do you just fire it up and watch an episode?

I must admit though, if they changed the opeing 5 notes on LOST, that would have a bit of an impact. Its pretty creppy now. If they made it more "Gilligans Island" I would have to hunt down the sound man and dismember him.

And now its your 'turn'. Leave a comment after the beep.