Robocop: a 20 year retrospective... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Robocop: a 20 year retrospective...

PeruvianSkies
08-31-2007, 09:12 PM
Believe it or not Paul Verhoeven's ROBOCOP turned 20 years this year. I was only 7 years old when this film came out, yet I remember seeing it that year and was just amazed at the violence of that film, even 20 years later some of it is still shocking. I thought that I would provide a little retrospective on the film after owning 3 DVD versions of the film, including the most recent anniversary release as well as the Criterion DVD and Laserdisc of the film...yeah I guess you could say I am a fan.

Underrating Verhoeven

If ever a filmmaker was misunderstood upon arrival it would have to be Paul Verhoeven, however if anything can be said about his unique filmmaking style it's that his films appreciate over time. They age to a degree of perfection. Take STARSHIP TROOPERS for instance, or even BASIC INSTINCT, which both arrived with some degree of controversy and most people write these films off as mere fluff. Then a few years go by and a few critics who actually 'get it' start to re-evaluate the films and then as more people revisit the films they realize just how 'ahead of the time' they are in many respects. ROBOCOP not only stands the test of time, but it gets better with time. Verhoeven is often a grisly director who makes tongue-in-cheek moments at the oddest times, yet microscopes some of the most untouched human behaviors and dares to go where few filmmakers dare. Everyone else thinks about it, Verhoeven just points at the elephant in the room and then zooms in and enlarges the obvious things about our nature.

Predator & Copbots

1987 saw a few interesting films at the box office....FATAL ATTRACTION, LETHAL WEAPON, PREDATOR, and ROBOCOP, which was one of the top films that year upon it's arrival and it generated tons of buzz with it's violence. The film finished 16th that year in Gross sales, but was the strongest film of the Summer with the exception of LA BAMBA, which opened a week after. What has remained strong about the film is it's action scenes, special effects, and overall story. Very few films have the guts to do what this film essentially did, which is kill it's main character early on, turn him into a Robot, and then give him unexpected emotions even as a Robot, which is one of the central themes of the film. Can a robot have emotions? Where does the man end and the robot begin? What also remains interesting about the film is the different approaches to crime fighting. We are taken into a world where Detroit is overrun by violence and crime...the solution is [as the execs say] that Detroit has a 'cancer' and the only way to eliminate it is to build OVER the city. The idea is to create a superior officer that doesn't feel or think, it just follows orders then once crime is eliminated...rebuild. Can a society really survive without crime?

A World Without Grace

We find out early in the film that this 'supercop' named ED209 isn't exactly the best solution....just ask the guy that was shot to pieces in the boardroom. So, what next? Well, in competition for the prototype that delivers the best results the answer soon becomes ROBOCOP, after an officer is shot in the line of duty, yet is still 'alive' to some degree. They are able to transfigure him into a half-man/half robot crime fighter, although this 'robocop' is not suppose to have feelings or emotions either, just do what he is programmed to do, sounds like Vietnam eh? Well, if you listen to the commentary track on the Criterion Edition of the film or this 20th Anniversary edition you get that exact impression that much of the film parallel's the state of confusion that was - Vietnam. There has been much research on cops and their emotional states and how they deal with people at their worst, which is an underlying theme within the film. Officers see the world at it's worst sometimes...how can they possibly see the good in people? Although the idea of the film is to have a world where there is no grace either. For example, you are going 66mph in a 55mph zone...you get pulled over and there is no question..you broke the law, you pay the fine. No questions asked. Just a ticket to your name. If a real human being officer is handling the situation than some emotion plays into the equation. You give the officer some excuses and sometimes, but not always, you might get off with a warning. Imagine a world without kindness...or grace.

Not Just an Action Flick

Most people downplay this film as just a bizarre action movie from the 80's, but it's a memorable one for sure. There is more going on below the surface than some may realize, but upon revisiting this film comes alive with new a new depth that many can appreciate if given the time. Many of the themes of this film were also reintroduced on a military escapade called STARSHIP TROOPERS 10 years after ROBOCOP came out, both films are Verhoeven working at his absolute best. I'm glad that this new DVD is out for several awesome reasons....

I won't do an in-depth detailed review of this particular DVD, but I can say that it's the one to own of the film if you have any interest. The best thing about this DVD is that it contains 3 audio tracks...the original 4.0 Dolby audio track that recreates the films intended 4.0 magnetic tracks and this film was the first ever to use the analog spectral recording system, which is usually known as SR upon it's release, plus it was issued on 70mm blowup prints. The 4.0 on this DVD holds up well and has some nice thickness to it, there is also a 5.1 Dolby track that is similar to what was offered on the other DVD's issued by MGM through the years. The ROBOCOP TRILOGY DVD offered by MGM was also a nicely restored print too, but the print here is much better with a cleaner print, better color definition and superior contrast. The final nail in the coffin though is a wonderful inclusion of a DTS 5.1 mix, which is really great. The film has some awesome subtle moments where the mix really takes advantage and finally a few scenes sound the way they did in theaters. For instance, the scene where ED209 enters the boardroom, which was always dull in DD 5.1 because the 'thud' of ED209's foot hitting the boardroom floor always sounded tame and ...lame. Now, the DTS adds the necessary thickness needed to give the heightened sense of that moment. I am glad that we have the ability to choose between 3 audio tracks.

There is also the commentary from Verhoeven that is exception and quite a few extras, plus it's in a hard tin case with a second bonus disc full of extras. I find that going through these bonus features only adds more appreciation to this already underrated film that is on it's way to becoming a classic.

Smokey
09-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Some reviews sometimes read too much into a movie. There is such a thing as over analyzing.

I own Robocop DVD, and it is entertaining in its own right. But as same with the movie Blade Runner, it might be slightly over hyped.

PeruvianSkies
09-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Some reviews sometimes read too much into a movie. There is such a thing as over analyzing.

I own Robocop DVD, and it is entertaining in its own right. But as same with the movie Blade Runner, it might be slightly over hyped.

Smokey,

There are some movies out there that are made just for entertainment value, but people like Ridley Scott and Paul Verhoeven don't just make 'action movies'. There is a reason behind every camera angle, every special effect, every close-up. Movies don't just happen by accident, they are purely intentional and ROBOCOP is one example of the millions of movies out there that convey just that. Sure, you can enjoy it for what it is, but don't be naive to think that there isn't more going on underneath.

anamorphic96
09-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Nice write up. Glad to see you mentioned the introduction of Dolby SR.

Pop quiz. Do you know the first movie to feature 6 track digital sound ?

PeruvianSkies
09-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Nice write up. Glad to see you mentioned the introduction of Dolby SR.

Pop quiz. Do you know the first movie to feature 6 track digital sound ?

Not sure. Taking a guess I would say either LAST ACTION HERO or perhaps JURASSIC PARK: THE LOST WORLD.

anamorphic96
09-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Not sure. Taking a guess I would say either LAST ACTION HERO or perhaps JURASSIC PARK: THE LOST WORLD.

Actually it was Dick Tracy. The system was called CDS (Cinema Digital Sound ). Problem was it didn't have a back up audio track in case CDS failed. Which it did frequently, and was never adopted. Only a few movies used the format.

DTS was the first to become successful and used the analog SR track as it's back up.

PeruvianSkies
09-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Actually it was Dick Tracy. The system was called CDS (Cinema Digital Sound ). Problem was it didn't have a back up audio track in case CDS failed. Which it did frequently, and was never adopted. Only a few movies used the format.

DTS was the first to become successful and used the analog SR track as it's back up.

Well, I suppose like the format failed...so did the film.

ForeverAutumn
09-01-2007, 07:08 PM
I remember seeing Robocop for the first time. A friend of mine got tickets for a special premiere from her brother (I can't remember how he got them). The showing was at a huge Imax theatre with a screen 60 feet high. The whole screen wasn't used, but the film was HUGE. I don't like violent films and I remember that when the bad guys shot the cop's hand, I was ready to leave. But I stayed, and it ended up becoming one of my favourite movies.

PeruvianSkies
09-01-2007, 07:25 PM
I remember seeing Robocop for the first time. A friend of mine got tickets for a special premiere from her brother (I can't remember how he got them). The showing was at a huge Imax theatre with a screen 60 feet high. The whole screen wasn't used, but the film was HUGE. I don't like violent films and I remember that when the bad guys shot the cop's hand, I was ready to leave. But I stayed, and it ended up becoming one of my favourite movies.

There has been tons of controversy as to the necessity of the films 'violence' and that was one thing I did forget to mention in the review. First, the Criterion Edition of the film is still the most violent and is considered an NC-17 rating, although this new DVD says "unrated", which might be true, it still does not contain some of the extended versions of both the boardroom scene as well as when our main character is being shot up, and his hand is shot off.

Verhoeven has said, and I agree with him, that in order for us to symphathize with our character we need to really see things at their worst, seeing just how butchered he was when the killed him really gives up permission as viewers to want to see justice done back, even at it's worst.

DEAD OR ALIVE YOU'RE COMING WITH ME!

There are very few films that show violence in this particular fashion, but again I agree with it's necessity and this new DVD is a nice restoration that takes away some of the grain that was evident in the earlier copies of this film, especially the darker scenes. Grain was a huge issue before, but is much more controlled on this new copy. There are also a wide variety of opinions on the proper aspect ratio of this film, which has been all over the place. The Criterion was always a letterboxed 1.66 X 1 image, while the other DVD's are somewhere more around 1.77 X 1 or 1.85 X 1. I like the look of the 1.66 X 1 personally, but like the newer print better. Here are some stills...

bobsticks
09-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Anybody remember The Genetic Terrorists?

PeruvianSkies
09-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Anybody remember The Genetic Terrorists?

Last night I decided to re-watch the entire film, the unrated version on the second disc of the new DVD set. I have to say it's more obvious now than ever just how tongue-in-cheek this film really is and if Smokey even thinks for a second that this movie doesn't have anything going on underneath he is CRAZY. The first opening moments of the film we see a Fake Newscast followed by some commercial, which is also similar to the 'newsbreaks' in STARSHIP TROOPERS. What Verhoeven loves to do in these moments is show a horrifying newscast with news anchors pretty much emotionless. In ROBOCOP there is the whole scene where a satellite that is part of STAR WARS accidentally shot off killing 100 people including 2 ex-Presidents....the news anchors nonchalantly move on as if it was nothing. But isn't that the same thing we are exposed to today? Killing, murder, death, sports, weather, back to you Kevin.

bobsticks
09-03-2007, 06:41 PM
uumm...I was being my usual off-topic self. The Genetic Terrorists spawned a single club hit back in the day. Called "Machine Gun" it interspersed Robocop edits with hypno-repetitive beats. Often it was mixed in with either "Digital Tension Dementia" or the "Join In The Chant" Gold Mix. If yer dj was feelin' saucy, you might move right into a mosh with Metallica's "Last Caress/Green Hell" or the Exploited.

I used to hang out in weird places.

musicman1999
09-03-2007, 08:14 PM
I guess that i am with Smokey on this one.Robocop is a decent movie,i bought the DVD on sale for about 8 bucks,but far from a classic.Verhoeven has made only 7 english language films,Hollow Man,Starship Troopers,Showgirls,Basic Instint,Total Recall,Flesh and Blood and Robocop.Some entertainment there but classics? Comparing him to Ridley Scott is really a disservice to Mr.Scott IMO antway.

bill

PeruvianSkies
09-03-2007, 08:22 PM
I guess that i am with Smokey on this one.Robocop is a decent movie,i bought the DVD on sale for about 8 bucks,but far from a classic.Verhoeven has made only 7 english language films,Hollow Man,Starship Troopers,Showgirls,Basic Instint,Total Recall,Flesh and Blood and Robocop.Some entertainment there but classics? Comparing him to Ridley Scott is really a disservice to Mr.Scott IMO antway.

bill

And how many of his non-English films have you seen? TURKISH DELIGHTS? SOLDIER OF ORANGE? I never compared him TO Ridley, but rather said that like Ridley they both make movies that have just as much underlying meaning to it, not just brainless action vehicles. Comparing him to Ridley Scott would be saying that Verhoeven makes better action movies...now that is a comparison. I don't think Verhoeven is as consistent as Ridley Scott nor do I believe he is as good of a director, but I still enjoy Verhoeven's style ever now and then.

musicman1999
09-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Life would be pretty dull if we all liked the same things.I have only seen one of his Dutch films,Spetters i think it was called,i was forming my opinion on his english work.Don't get me wrong i like his films,ok maybe not Showgirls,just i don't think any will show up on the AFI top 100 list anytime soon.BTW i understand that he has done his last couple of films back home.

bill

PeruvianSkies
09-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Life would be pretty dull if we all liked the same things.I have only seen one of his Dutch films,Spetters i think it was called,i was forming my opinion on his english work.Don't get me wrong i like his films,ok maybe not Showgirls,just i don't think any will show up on the AFI top 100 list anytime soon.BTW i understand that he has done his last couple of films back home.

bill

True true. They won't make the AFI list, but then again neither will a lot of really great films. If any of Verhoeven films were to become classics it would be ROBOCOP, which in my opinion is his greatest achievement in the U.S. SOLDIER OF ORANGE is probably my favorite of his films, the ending alone is brilliant and Rutger Hauer is brilliant as always.

Troy
09-04-2007, 06:54 AM
I have always been a big fan of Robocop and Starship Troopers. Their sense of humor was not lost on me. Yes, amny reviewers of the times didn't get it at all, especially with Starship, but that's their loss, not mine. These are bitter, sarcastic and insolent movies.

About 8 years ago I stumbled on an old-school car customizer in the Mojave desert who also did many movie prop vehicles. Imagine my amusement when I found the 6000SUX, dusty and tattered on his lot. He was really impressed that I knew what it was.

Soldier of Orange was quite good.

http://designshed.com/temporary/gw09.9.jpg

PeruvianSkies
09-11-2007, 09:58 PM
I have always been a big fan of Robocop and Starship Troopers. Their sense of humor was not lost on me. Yes, amny reviewers of the times didn't get it at all, especially with Starship, but that's their loss, not mine. These are bitter, sarcastic and insolent movies.

About 8 years ago I stumbled on an old-school car customizer in the Mojave desert who also did many movie prop vehicles. Imagine my amusement when I found the 6000SUX, dusty and tattered on his lot. He was really impressed that I knew what it was.

Soldier of Orange was quite good.

http://designshed.com/temporary/gw09.9.jpg

Veeeerrrry Cool!

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-17-2007, 05:31 PM

Actually, Dolby Digital was the first really sucessful digital 5.1 format for the theater and was introduced in 1992. Dts came along a year later and quickly had more installations than Dolby digital. But in 1997, Dolby overcame Dts's lead in theater installations and hasn't looked back since.

Oh, and I really liked Robocop. Cool movie. I also liked Starship Troopers.

Robert-The-Rambler
09-17-2007, 06:17 PM
Veeeerrrry Cool!

8.2mpg, an american tradition. And right now I just noticed that if you look at the name it sounds like 6000 sucks. I guess he didn't like Pontiacs.

PeruvianSkies
09-17-2007, 07:26 PM
Actually, Dolby Digital was the first really sucessful digital 5.1 format for the theater and was introduced in 1992. Dts came along a year later and quickly had more installations than Dolby digital. But in 1997, Dolby overcame Dts's lead in theater installations and hasn't looked back since.

Oh, and I really liked Robocop. Cool movie. I also liked Starship Troopers.

So then am I right? Is it LAST ACTION HERO or LOST WORLD?

Fred333
09-18-2007, 07:22 AM
I have like the majority of his movies. My favorite has to be Robocop. You a right it does get better with age. I think it was Last Action Hero.

PeruvianSkies
09-18-2007, 10:28 PM
I have like the majority of his movies. My favorite has to be Robocop. You a right it does get better with age. I think it was Last Action Hero.

Yeah, STARSHIP TROOPERS is this great commentary film on war and more specifically Hitler/WWII and that Fascism is only good for one thing: killing bugs. It's over-the-top and most people underestimate the films complexity, but that's ok, as some of us appreciate it. It also has aged well with the last decade, especially with things like 9/11 and Iraq happening since....

"are you doing your part?"

musicman1999
09-19-2007, 03:06 AM
The book is actually an anti-communism story,the whole Nazi angle came from Verhoeven who later admitted that he never finished reading the book.Btw the book,writen in 1959 was excellent and an award winner.

bill

Troy
09-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Yes, the book Starship Troopers is a genre classic. Much more philosophical. I really like the old Yes song too . . .

PeruvianSkies
09-19-2007, 01:14 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/godFPmu3_gs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/godFPmu3_gs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

PeruvianSkies
09-19-2007, 01:24 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L-H71MxxqtQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L-H71MxxqtQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

musicman1999
09-19-2007, 01:41 PM
You spend to much time on youtube.Hey are you ready for Starship Troopers 3,they are currently filming.

bill

PeruvianSkies
09-19-2007, 01:47 PM
You spend to much time on youtube.Hey are you ready for Starship Troopers 3,they are currently filming.

bill

Heck no. I wouldn't waste my time on ST 2 let alone a third one. Yikes.

musicman1999
09-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Yea i rented the second one, could not make it all the way through.Way bad.

bill

PeruvianSkies
09-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Has anyone seen his most recent film BLACK BOOK???

http://www.indiewire.com/ots/BlackBook.jpg

PeruvianSkies
10-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Has anyone seen his most recent film BLACK BOOK???

http://www.indiewire.com/ots/BlackBook.jpg

So I got BLACK BOOK from Netflix and would recommend it. It's probably Verhoeven's better film since SOLDIER OF ORANGE. Great story, awesome acting, and if anyone thinks that Verhoeven can only make bizarre gore-fests like STARSHIP TROOPERS, than you need to see this film.