10 Must-Have Albums... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 10 Must-Have Albums...

PeruvianSkies
08-31-2007, 03:48 PM
Rules are simple:

Pick 10 albums that you think are MUST-HAVE's.

Then, when 3 people have posted the same title, it goes to the master list of the top 10 MUST HAVE's. We can keep this going until we have our first 10 selections...

Here are mine:

Miles Davis KIND OF BLUE (quite obvious)
Steely Dans AJA (also quite obvious)
Alan Parsons Project TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION
The Who TOMMY
The Smashing Pumpkins MELLON COLLIE & the INFINITE SADNESS
Rush 2112
Neil Young HARVEST
David Bowie ZIGGY STARDUST
Stevie Wonder INNVERVISIONS
Depeche Mode VIOLATOR

Wireworm5
08-31-2007, 05:36 PM
I think it's going to be impossible to get 10 reference albums let alone 5 that we can all agree on. And compiling a list of Only ten is like pulling teeth.

My ten Must haves:

Deep Purple- Made in Japan
Jean-Michel Jarre- Magnetic Fields
Klaus Schulze 'X'
Porcupine Tree- Arriving Somewhere
Ten Years After- Live at the Flimore East
Iron Butterfly- In-A-Godda-da-Vida
Mike Oldfield- Tubular Bells III
Golden Earring- Moontan
Grand Funk- Caught in the Act
Emerson Lake & Palmer- Show that Never Ends

RoyY51
08-31-2007, 06:04 PM
My 10 Must-Haves are all albums that had a profound effect on me during my musical career. They are also (for the most part) albums that had a major influence on the music industry in general. I still occasionally spin them to visit Probably Best Left Forgotten memories.

They are, in no particular order:

Aqualung - Jethro Tull
Tapestry - Carol King
Hotel California - The Eagles
Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
The Heart of Saturday Night - Tom Waits
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
Harvest - Neil Young
Thriller - Michael Jackson
Live at the Beacon Theater - James Taylor

PeruvianSkies
08-31-2007, 06:27 PM
Looks like we have 2 already for HARVEST, so let's keep thing thing rolling...

It's not like we have to pick ONLY 10 to own, but generate 10 that would be worthy of owing and this seems like a cool way to get that list compiled.

Luvin Da Blues
08-31-2007, 06:38 PM
I'm gunna post this real quick before it drives my nuts thinking about it....

Van Morrison - Some Blues
Allman Bros - Dreams
Alvin Lee - Pure Blues
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Omar & The Howlers - Hard Times In The Land Of Plenty
Queen - Jazz
Joe Cocker - Organic
Steely Dan - Decade Of
Chris Rea - Road To Hell
Cat Stevens - Catch A Bull At Four

PeruvianSkies
08-31-2007, 06:40 PM
I'm gunna post this real quick before it drives my nuts thinking about it....

Van Morrison - Some Blues
Allman Bros - Dreams
Alvin Lee - Pure Blues
Omar & The Howlers - Hard Times In The Land Of Plenty
Queen - Jazz
Joe Cocker - Organic
Steely Dan - Decade Of
Chris Rea - Road To Hell
Cat Stevens - Catch A Bull At Four

Good call on JAZZ.

SlumpBuster
08-31-2007, 07:32 PM
Slumpy's jumpin' in to fcuk with the spread:

Okay, I'm leaving out alot of genres like Country, Techno and Funk. Keeping it electric guitar rock oriented. No Greatest Hits or Live records (so no Segar - Live Bullet/Maiden - Live After Death). Also, keep in mind my choices are always a little suspect because of my Disrespect for the Sacred Rock Canon. i.e. I have no Zepplin, Floyd, Nirvana, or the Beatles. And the only Hendrix record I have is Smash Hits.

1. AC/DC - High Voltage or Hiway to Hell (listeners choice :D)
- Bon Scott realy was the sh!t and the Young brothers really are that good. Simple doesn't necessarily equate with easy or elementary.

2. Boston - Boston
- I hate to admit it, but I still listen to this record all the time.

3. The Dandy Warhols - Welcome to the Monkey House.
- After Kurt Cobain blew his head off, the cure for what was ailing rock music was right there in the form of the Warhols - four people eager to be rockstars and willing to shamelessly and brilliantly rip off the Stones and George Harrison in the process. Problem was that nobody cared.

4. ELO - Out of the Blue
- In my head, ELO is like what everyone else hears when they are telling me the Beatles were so great. And yes, I know the connection.

5. Green Day - Dookie or American Idiot
- When Green Day did it once with Dookie, you could still hate on them. When the did it twice with American Idiot, no more hating is allowed. They are the only Multi-Platinum band that I can think of that made a wholly unflinching anti-war record. Does anyone else on a major label remember Rock and Roll?

6. Naked Raygun - Understand? or Jettison
- Hopefully, one day my son will ask me about Punk Rock. And rather than debating what is or isn't Punk, I will give him my Naked Raygun records and say "This is punk."

7. Oasis - Definately Maybe
- Fuggetaboutit. They really were bigger than the Beatles, well for two summers at least.

8. The Ramones - Road to Ruin
- I literally stole my first copy of Road to Ruin after seeing Rock and Roll High School on some saturday afternoon on TV. Mmmmmmmmmm.... stolen Ramones.

9. Social Distortion - Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell
- For anyone that says "I don't like punk..." This is the record for them.

10. Cindy Lauper - She's So Unusual
- Listed out of alphabetical order, this record is the antidote to all the CockRock listed above. This record is just stupid good, even after twenty years. Any stodgy best of 50 or 100 records list that doesn't include this album isn't worth the paper its on. If you already have this record, you're cool. If you don't have this record, well, then you have a homework assignment for tommorrow.

PeruvianSkies
08-31-2007, 07:34 PM
Slumpy's jumpin' in to fcuk with the spread:

Okay, I'm leaving out alot of genres like Country, Techno and Funk. Keeping it electric guitar rock oriented. No Greatest Hits or Live records (so no Segar - Live Bullet/Maiden - Live After Death). Also, keep in mind my choices are always a little suspect because of my Disrespect for the Sacred Rock Canon. i.e. I have no Zepplin, Floyd, Nirvana, or the Beatles. And the only Hendrix record I have is Smash Hits.

1. AC/DC - High Voltage or Hiway to Hell (listeners choice :D)
- Bon Scott rely was the sh!t.

2. Boston - Boston
- I hate to admit it, but I still listen to this record all the time.

3. The Dandy Warhols - Welcome to the Monkey House.
- After Kurt Cobain blew his head off, the cure for what was ailing rock music was right there in the form of the Warhols - four people eager to be rockstars and willing to shamelessly and brilliantly rip off the Stones and George Harrison in the process. Problem was that nobody cared.

4. ELO - Out of the Blue
- In my head, ELO is like what everyone else hears when they are telling me the Beatles were so great. And yes, I know the connection.

5. Green Day - Dookie or American Idiot
- When Green Day did it once with Dookie, you could still hate on them. When the did it twice with American Idiot, no more hating is allowed.

6. Naked Raygun - Understand? or Jettison
- Hopefully, one day my son will ask me about Punk Rock. And rather than debating what is or isn't Punk, I will give him my Naked Raygun records and say "This is punk."

7. Oasis - Definately Maybe
- Fuggetaboutit. They really were bigger than the Beatles, well for two summers at least.

8. The Ramones - Road to Ruin
- I literally stole my first copy of Road to Ruin after seeing Rock and Roll High School on some saturday afternoon on TV. Mmmmmmmmmm.... stolen Ramones.

9. Social Distortion - Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell
- For anyone that says "I don't like punk..." This is the record for them.

10. Cindy Lauper - She's So Unusual
- Listed out of alphabetical order, this record is the antidote to all the CockRock listed above. This record is just stupid good, even after twenty years. Any stodgy best of 50 or 100 records list that doesn't include this album isn't worth the paper its on. If you already have this record, you're cool. If you don't have this record, well, then you have a homework assignment for tommorrow.

Some really great choices there! Great call on the BOSTON bit. I couldn't make up my mind on which ELO I love the most and it was the same for QUEEN.

Wireworm5
08-31-2007, 07:38 PM
I think the list is skewed already. I would like to add that I have parts of these albums in my collection. Like I generally buy Best of compilations. So of the albums posted some may qualify already for Must Haves, not my top ten however. Taken to extreme it comes down to most popular and we can find all kinds of Top Lists for that that are laughable.

Okay I'll agree to these albums or best of complations that contain versions of said artist that should be in one's collection.

Rush 2112
Neil Young- Harvest
Tapestry- Carol King
Hotel California- Eagles
Led Zepellin- Led Zepellin
Allman Bros.- Dreams
Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here
Alvin Lee- Pure Blues
AC/DC- Back in Black

SlumpBuster
08-31-2007, 07:57 PM
Some really great choices there! Great call on the BOSTON bit. I couldn't make up my mind on which ELO I love the most and it was the same for QUEEN.

You quoted me before I was done editing my post. :D But thanks. I'm always up for suggesting an alternative, even if just to be contrarian. She's So Unusual is better than Tapestry. The Warhols do Floyd and Lou Reed better than Floyd and Lou Reed do Floyd and Lou Reed. The Eagles are a radio friendly rip off of The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, but with lots more cocaine and wasted money. And, Jim Croce is better than alot of other singer/song writers.

And not to bag on one of you choices (especially after complementing mine), but I'm going to anyway - I've just never gotten Neil Young. Frankly, everytime I hear or read any quote or interview, he just kinda seems like a d!ck. Plus, his whole spate of fcuked up records in the 80's just left me with a question mark next to his name. Oooooo.... yeah, this note is for you Neil... you're so anti-establishment, Neil. People say he was the Godfather of grundge... well, I didn't like Grunge either. (except for Pearl Jam and the first 20 seconds of Soundgarden's Rusty Cage - that intro rocked!)

Oh, and every list so far is wrong (including mine) for failing to include a Springsteen record.

musicman1999
08-31-2007, 08:28 PM
LDB

What is that Van Morrison album you list?Not familiar with that one.

bill

Smokey
08-31-2007, 08:41 PM
Psychedelic Furs: Mirror Moves
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/61auIHg7GPL._AA240_.jpg

The Notorious BIG: Ready to Die
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/416HFHBQVYL._AA240_.jpg

Alan Parsons: Tales of Mystery and Imagination
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NEH0BZFHL._AA240_.jpg

Neil Young: Ragged Glory
http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/41YF1EAJC6L._AA240_.jpg

Bruce Springateen: Darkness on the Edge of Town.
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/5192ZQQJ7QL._AA240_.jpg

Simple Minds: Sparkle in the Rain
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/511RGY8BF7L._AA240_.jpg

Jethro Tull: Songs From the Wood
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JE5E3406L._AA240_.jpg

Velvet Underground: Velvet Underground & Nico
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-JKuI8whL._AA240_.jpg

Dire Straits: Making Movies
http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/2175VZXQREL._AA240_.jpg

The Beatles: 1967-1970
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51XYB30JH2L._AA240_.jpg

PeruvianSkies
08-31-2007, 08:46 PM
3 votes for HARVEST puts in into the master list. Great choices everyone. I can't believe that I forgot a few like Jethro Tull's MINSTREL IN THE GALLERY, oh well. 2 votes also for 2112 and TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION.

A word on Neil Young...

I can't explain it. This album [HARVEST] just had such a huge impact on me at a young age...not even the best songs on that album ...like most people like Needle and the Damage Done, which is probably my least favorite along with Heart of Gold...my favorites are Alabama, Words, and Out on the Weekend. Just something about these tunes...they just tug on me.

DaHaq
08-31-2007, 09:05 PM
Kate Bush - The Kick Inside
The Stooges - Funhouse
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Oingo Boingo - Only A Lad
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream/Mellon Collie
Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman/Teaser and the Firecat
Dead Can Dance - Aion
Elliott Smith - XO
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair

Someone else needs to vote for Funhouse, that one always puts me in the greatest mood

Smokey
08-31-2007, 09:11 PM
A word on Neil Young...

I can't explain it. This album [HARVEST] just had such a huge impact on me at a young age...not even the best songs on that album ...like most people like Needle and the Damage Done, which is probably my least favorite along with Heart of Gold...my favorites are Alabama, Words, and Out on the Weekend. Just something about these tunes...they just tug on me.

Neil young is probably most versatile artist alive. He can go from mellow slow country to a screeching guitar work sound.

The album Rust Never Sleeps might be a good example of such a diversity. From slow acoustic sound of My My Hay Hay (Out Of The Blue) song, to guitar over loading sound of He Hey, My My (Into the Black).

PeruvianSkies
08-31-2007, 09:15 PM
Neil young is probably most versatile artist alive. He can go from mellow slow country to a screeching guitar work sound.

The album Rust Never Sleeps might be a good example of such a diversity. From slow acoustic sound of My My Hay Hay (Out Of The Blue) song, to guitar over loading sound of He Hey, My My (Into the Black).

It's definitely a good bookend idea...although where I come from he isn't talking about HAY.

SlumpBuster
09-01-2007, 02:22 AM
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

Good choice. This was on my list, but I edited it out. The recording on that record seems to be really subpar. Almost like someone fcuked up at the mastering studio. Went with Oasis instead. Another bad recording, but not as bad.

And as to Neil Young. I know he has a lot of appeal. I don't question his skill. I do like Heart of Gold. If it comes on the radio I won't turn it off. He does get some credit in my book b/c of his work with Pearl Jam. If they like him, then he can't be all bad.

thekid
09-01-2007, 02:59 AM
In no particular order but from my collection this are the ones I always drift to......

Jackson Browne-Running on Empty
Genesis- And then there were three
Bruce Springsteen- Darkness at the Edge of Town
Jonathan Edwards-Jonathan Edwards
Tom Waits-Closing Time
REM-Murmur
Pearl Jam-Ten
Dire Straits-Brothers in Arms
Alison Krause + Union Station-Live
Beatles- Revolver

With nods also to Jimmy Buffet's - Changes in Attitudes Changes in Latitudes and anything by Copeland-Mozart or Handel (if ain't Baroque don't mix it)

kexodusc
09-01-2007, 03:10 AM
Ok, I'll play:

1) Rush - 2112 (edit: had Moving Pictures here by accident)
2) John Coltrane - Blue Train
3) Pink Floyd -DSOTM
4) Beethoven's 5th (and if it's Kleiber's I get the 7th for free!)
5) Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
6) B.B. King - Live at the Regal
7) Yes - Fragile
8) Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory
9) Holst -The Planets
10) Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile

pixelthis
09-01-2007, 04:23 AM
Let the old fart jump in

1. Kinda Blue

2.pretenders- learning to crawl

3.Rickie lee Jones self titled (used to be REQUIRED)

4. Stones- EXILE ON MAIN ST

5.Doors - LA woman

6. Led Zeppelin-Stairway to heaven

7. Fleetwood Mac- Rumours

8. bOB jAMES- Bob James 4

9. Getz and Gilberto- Girl from Ipanema (desert Island release)

10. Pink Floyd- Dark Side Of THE Moon (putting your schizoprenia to work for you)

There was a time when everywhere you went , Rickie Lee Jones, it was a great way to show off your system, the original master recording (album) is to die for.
And Peruvian likes Neil Young? Hope for you yet:o

Feanor
09-01-2007, 05:31 AM
Rules are simple:

Pick 10 albums that you think are MUST-HAVE's.

Then, when 3 people have posted the same title, it goes to the master list of the top 10 MUST HAVE's. We can keep this going until we have our first 10 selections...

As a person who's 95% classical, 4% jazz, and 1% anything else, it's difficult to jump in to say anything intelligent. Nevertheless lack of anything to say has never really been a deterent for me.

I do have a minute jazz collection; a few I like especially are:

Miles Davis,Kind of Blue -- rather obvious for sure :)
Miles Davis, Round About Midnight
Charles Mingus, Mingus Ah Um
Bill Evans, Sunday at the Village Vangard
Herbie Hancock, Maiden Voyage
John Coltrane, Blue Train
Dave Brubeck, Time Out
Sonny Rollins, A Night at the Village Vanguard
Wynton Marsalis, Black Codes (From theUnderground)
Vince Guaraldi, Jazz Impressions of Black OrpheusAs for classical: Kex, good call on Kleiber's Beethoven 5th, but the problem here is that the great works have dozens, even hundreds of performances and choosing ten recordings as "top" is ridiculous.

See my list of core classical works ...
http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/CoreClassical.htm

Rich-n-Texas
09-01-2007, 06:07 AM
Patti Smith: Horses.
Jimi Hendrix: Electric Lady Land.
Neil Young: Harvest (For Words).
The Beatles: The White album.
Led Zeppelin: 4th album.
Yes: Close to the Edge.
Genesis: Wind & Wuthering.
Jethro Tull: Warchild.
Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon.
Allman Brothers Band: Eat a Peach.This list is the same as my "Dessert Island Top 10" list except I have to sub a Beatles album with Harvest because I agree that it was one of Neil's best, and he is and was a very important contributor to the rock-n-roll genre.

kexodusc
09-01-2007, 06:22 AM
As for classical: Kex, good call on Kleiber's Beethoven 5th, but the problem here is that the great works have dozens, even hundreds of performances and choosing ten recordings as "top" is ridiculous.
See my list of core classical works ...
http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/CoreClassical.htm
Pfffftt....says you...:)
Seriously...you're right. I just picked the ones I owned - and even some bad versions of these works would be welcome if I can only have 10.

GMichael
09-01-2007, 06:30 AM
It's tough to keep this to just ten. Here are my picks though.

1 - ELP - Brain Salad Surgery.
2 - Kansas - Leftoverature.
3 - Rush - Moving Pictures.
4 - Yes - Fragile
5 - Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here.
6 - Rush - Caress of Steel.
7 - Yes - Close to the Edge.
8 - Rush - 2112.
9 - Pink Floyd - Animals.
10 - Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo.

Honerable mentions:

11 - AC/DC - Back in Black.
12 - Fleetwood Mac - Rumours.
13 - Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon.
14- Spira Gyra - Fast Forward.
15 - Boston - Boston.
16 - Eagles - Hotel Cal.
17 - Genesis - And then there were Three.
18 - Rush - Rush
19 - Rush - Fly By Night.
20 - Rush - A Farewell to Kings.

21 - Yes - Tormatto.
22 - Pink Floyd - The Wall.

Geez, this just goes on and on. I quit.

jrhymeammo
09-01-2007, 07:46 AM
Classic Thread, PS!

1. Joe Puma - - Shining Hour
2. Grant Green – Idle Moment
3. Mobley’s 2nd Message
4. Nina Simone – Forbin Fruit
5. Leon Thomas – Live in Berlin
6. Sonny Stitt – Now!!
7. Jazzmatazz Vol. 1
8. King Crimson – Lizzard
9. Pete Townshend & Ronnie Lane - Rough Mix.
For the last one... I have to pick the one that's been mentioned numerous times.... Close to the Edge!!

I wanted to choose bobstick's summer comp, but I dont think he plans to have it pressed on vinyl...huh huh? C'mon BOBBY!!!

JRA

PeruvianSkies
09-01-2007, 09:03 AM
Looks like we have a few that have already made it into the top 10....they are:

KIND OF BLUE
HARVEST

GMichael
09-01-2007, 09:38 AM
Looks like we have a few that have already made it into the top 10....they are:

KIND OF BLUE
HARVEST

You left out Pink Floyd DSOTM and Wish you Were Here as well as Yes, Close to the Edge.

A few more who only need one more vote.
Eagles - HOTEL
ELP - Brain Salid Surgery (The Show that Never Ends)
AC/DC - Back N Black
BOSTON - Boston

dingus
09-01-2007, 09:42 AM
i'll try to get these in correct chronological order ...

Moody Blues - "To Our Childrens, Childrens, Children"
Simon & Garfunkel - "Bridge Over Troubled Water"
Elton John - "Honky Chateau"
Peter Gabriel - "Peter Gabriel" (1st solo album)
Boston - "Boston"
The Cars - "Candy O"
Split Enz - "Time and Tide"
Midnight Oil - "10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1"
Crowded House - "Woodface"
Steely Dan - "Two Against Nature"

PeruvianSkies
09-01-2007, 12:10 PM
You left out Pink Floyd DSOTM and Wish you Were Here as well as Yes, Close to the Edge.

A few more who only need one more vote.
Eagles - HOTEL
ELP - Brain Salid Surgery (The Show that Never Ends)
AC/DC - Back N Black
BOSTON - Boston

Ok, so now the votes are:

Boston BOSTON
Pink Floyd DSOTM and WISH YOU WERE HERE
Yes FRAGILE
Neil Young HARVEST
Rush 2112
KIND OF BLUE

So that makes 7 with 3 empty places left.

jim goulding
09-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Neil Young Greatest Hits (Classic Records)
If Only I Could Remember My Name - David Crosby (Classic Records)
Kind of Blue (Classic Records)
Let It Bleed- Stones
Rachmaninoff Symphonic Dances- Johanos/Dallas Symphony (Athena Records)
Free For All- Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers (Blue Note)
Horses- Patti Smith Group (Arista)
BB King Original Greatest Hits (Virgin)
After Bathing At Baxter's- Jefferson Airplane (RCA)
Coltrane Live at The Village Vanguard (Impulse)

Rich-n-Texas
09-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Come on kids, one more vote for Horses and I'll be very grateful! :thumbsup:

R.S.
09-01-2007, 06:37 PM
The Doors- L.A. Woman

King Crimson- In the Court of the Crimson King

The Allman Brothers- Live at the Fillmore East

The Beatles - Love

Jeff Beck - Truth

Traffic - Smiling Phases

Jim Hall - Concierto

Quincy Jones - Walking in Space

Dvorak - Symphony No. 9 "New World Symphony", Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Fritz Reiner Conductor

Holst - The Planets, Montreal Symphonic Orchestra, Charles Dutoit, Conductor

KidBoston
09-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Here's my 10: (I'm a product of the 80's with a strong Boston-based music influence)

Police – Synchronicity
Aerosmith – Toys in the Attic
Billy Squier – Don’t’ Say No
J. Geils Band – Love Stinks
Del Fuego’s – BOSTON, MASS.
Van Halen
Prince – Purple Rain
Def Leopard – Pyromania
Tom Petty – Damn the Torpedoes
Peter Gabriel - So

drseid
09-02-2007, 03:09 AM
In no particular order...

1)Alison Krauss and Union Station - Live
2)AC/DC - Back in Black
3)Boston - Boston
4)Van Halen - 5150
5)Clannad - Landmarks
6)Erin Bode - Over and Over
7)Wynton Marsalis - Classic Wynton
8)Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
9)Iron Maiden - Powerslave
10)Metallica - Black

---Dave

basite
09-02-2007, 03:13 AM
only 10?

Miles davis - Kind of blue
Miles davis - b!tches Brew
Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon
Steely Dan - Aja
Donald Fegen - The nightfly
Grant Green - Idle moments
Kenny Burrell - Midnight blue /or/ Blue lights vol 1&2
Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage
Herbie Hancock - Secrets
The eagles - Hotel california

Man, I couldn't even include brubeck's time out, or ella fitzgerald, or dire straits :(
I could make a list of a 100 albums you Must own :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

jim goulding
09-02-2007, 06:07 AM
only 10?

Steely Dan - Aja
Herbie Hancock - Secrets

Man, I couldn't even include brubeck's time out, or ella fitzgerald, or dire straits :(

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Good call on Grant Green. I own Matador and think he is way under appreciated.

jim goulding
09-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Pix- I saw you picked another album by this band but it made me recall their first, the one I got, which I put on and listened to both sides. Man, this is one motherjumpin "good God almighty" great album! I saw this band in east Dallas for $2 on their first visit to the US. Rich, you gotta get a load of this for your commute if you're not already hip to it. Try "Tattooed Love Boys" to kick out your jams. There is a bunch of winners on this. Thanks for pullin my chain, Pix.

conquest
09-02-2007, 07:42 PM
My top tem list as the ten Cd's that I would want if stranded on a desert Island.

1. Radiohead, OK Computer
2. Nigel Kennedy, Vivaldi - Four Seasons
3. Depeche Mode, Violator
4. Enya, Orinoco Flow
5. Pink Floyd, The Wall
6. Giacomo Puccini, Madame Butterfly
7. Rolling Stones, Forty Licks
8. Sade, Best of Sade
9. Simply Red, A New Flame
10. Killing Joke, Killing Joke

conquest
09-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Damn! I forgot my Back in Black - ACDC album. Can I have 11?

pixelthis
09-02-2007, 11:37 PM
Pix- I saw you picked another album by this band but it made me recall their first, the one I got, which I put on and listened to both sides. Man, this is one motherjumpin "good God almighty" great album! I saw this band in east Dallas for $2 on their first visit to the US. Rich, you gotta get a load of this for your commute if you're not already hip to it. Try "Tattooed Love Boys" to kick out your jams. There is a bunch of winners on this. Thanks for pullin my chain, Pix.
Anytime. Have to include this album on the amazing guitar and bass alone, not to mention crissys voice.
Thats the problem with lists like this, there are clear choices, kinda blue is amazing and groundbreaking for a lot of reasons, but there are so many that just hit ya in the gut.
Anything by Bowie is something special, even his album of covers, "pinups", is special.
And what about red octopus?
and joe cocker?
the Beatles?
Sade?
Allman bros.....:confused5:

PeruvianSkies
09-03-2007, 12:03 AM
i'll try to get these in correct chronological order ...

Moody Blues - "To Our Childrens, Childrens, Children"
Simon & Garfunkel - "Bridge Over Troubled Water"
Elton John - "Honky Chateau"
Peter Gabriel - "Peter Gabriel" (1st solo album)
Boston - "Boston"
The Cars - "Candy O"
Split Enz - "Time and Tide"
Midnight Oil - "10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1"
Crowded House - "Woodface"
Steely Dan - "Two Against Nature"

The Moody Blues are often left out, good call on that album, although most people would argue that it isn't even their strongest, I have always found SEVENTH SOJOURN to be highly overlooked as most people cite other albums by them as being superior. Although I recently picked up the CD of RED ROCKS LIVE and they sound horrible! I mean, not the recording so much, but their vocals are flat in quite a few places. Ouch.

PeruvianSkies
09-03-2007, 10:54 PM
My top tem list as the ten Cd's that I would want if stranded on a desert Island.

4. Enya, Orinoco Flow
5. Pink Floyd, The Wall
8. Sade, Best of Sade

Yeah another vote for VIOLATOR.

Feanor
09-04-2007, 05:19 AM
only 10?

Steely Dan - Aja
Herbie Hancock - Secrets

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Keep those classic jazz hits coming. :thumbsup:

basite
09-04-2007, 06:24 AM
Keep those classic jazz hits coming. :thumbsup:

absolutely :thumbsup: :D

Olivertmc
09-06-2007, 09:55 AM
Tough to pick just 10, but here it goes:

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane . . .
Allman Bros - Fillmore East
Coltrane - Giant Steps
Phish - A Picture of Nectar
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
Chuck Prophet - No Other Love
Wilco - Being There
Roy Hargrove - Habana
Pink Floyd - The Wall (what can I say - still my favorite)
SRV - Texas Flood

BRANDONH
09-06-2007, 11:06 AM
This is fun but tough to decide on a top 10 but here are my picks.
BTW these are all on Vinyl

System Of A Down-Mezmorized
Marylin Manson-Lest We Forget
Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here
Leroy Jodie Pierson-APO D2D
Alison Krauss & Union Station-Live
Black Sabbath-Paranoid
Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio-Misty (45 rpm)
Eagles-Hotel California
Boston-Boston
Metallica-Black

PDN
09-07-2007, 08:11 PM
I have a ton of Van Morrison CD's and I don't believe there is one called "Some Blues". I could be wrong but I consider myself highly familiar with his music (just finished a book on Van). Been listening since 1974!! This might have been a cut on one of his albums. Sorry if I'm wrong.

1. Beatles White Album
2. Van Morrison - Wavelength
3. Steely Dan - Gaucho
4. The Band - Rock of Ages
5. Grateful Dead - From the Mars Hotel
6. Carole King - Tapestry
7. Joni Mitchell - Miles of Aisles
8. Jackson Browne - For Everyman
9. Crusaders - Chain Reaction
10. Horace Silver - Spiritualizing the Senses (from 1983, only ever available on vinyl but now out of print, Silveto Records now defunct).

If anyone out there has this on vinyl, PLEASE CONTACT ME. I sold mine when I unloaded all of my LP's in one batch not knowing this is not available on CD. It's such a stupendous album from Horace.

PDN
09-07-2007, 08:52 PM
Sorry folks but I've got to add just a few more if that's OK. Got to agree with Feanor & Basite:
11. Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyaga (a classic for sure)

Also:
12. Marshall Tucker Band - Anthology
13. Jimmy Thackery & the Drivers (blues) - Wild Night Out !!

Fleet1950
09-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Well I just joined and saw this thread. I thought I might throw in my 2 cents and hopefully this will keep going. Hard to pick 10 without really thiking for a while but here goes, In no particular order;

David Bowie- Changes One Bowie
Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon
Radiohead-Ok Computer
The Beatles- Sgt. Pepper's
Fleetwood Mac- Rumours
Billy Joel- Piano Man
Jackson Browne- Running on Empty
Neil Young-Harvest
Simon and Garfunkel- Bridge Over Troubled Water
Boston- Boston

Shadfly
09-16-2007, 01:31 PM
Top Ten Albums:
ACDC For Those About to Rock
Bruce Springsteen Born to Run
Dire Straits Brothers in Arms
Sublime Second Hand Smoke
Peter Frampton Frampton Comes Alive!
Bob Marley Legend
U2 War
Led Zepplin IV
Pink Floyd Wish you were here
Green Day American Idiot

mikemorrow
09-19-2007, 09:00 AM
801- live
Dylan- highway 61
Eno- anouther green world
Velvet Underground- VU
New Grass Revival- to late to turn back now
Eagles - on the boarder
Genesis- selling england by the pound
Big Brother and the Holding Company- cheap thrills
David Bowie- hunky dory
Fabulous Poodles- mirror star

GMichael
09-19-2007, 09:43 AM
A big welcome to all the new posters. And some nice choices there guys.

mikemorrow
09-19-2007, 09:46 AM
We are all newbes one time or another. :)

Rich-n-Texas
09-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Welcome all! :D

Now, will somebody PLEASE vote for Patti Smith's Horses for cryin out loud!!!:incazzato:

PeruvianSkies
09-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Anyone feel like tallying the totals thus far?

JohnnyDownUnder
09-20-2007, 03:03 AM
Jackson Browne Pretender
Allison Kraus Forget about it]
Beatles All (oops that's,er, 8?!!)..You choose. Blue I guess
Miles Davis Kind of Blue
Shaun Colvin Steady on
Primal Scream Screamadelica
Little Feat LastRecord Album
Steely Dan The Steely Dan Story
Andreas Vollenweider Behind the Garden
Dobbie Brothers Living on the Faultline
:9:
Sigh, music ain't what it used to be..mind you, neither is nostalgia!!

gruss72
09-23-2007, 03:46 PM
real quick in no particular order:
Live-Mental Jewelry
Toad the Wet Sprocket-Dulcinea
Peter Gabriel-So
Ani Difranco-Little Plastic Castles
Cyndi Lauper-She's so Unusual
Fleetwood Mac-Rumours
Bodeans-Black and White
Sister hazel-Somewhere More Familiar
Far too Jones-Picture Postcard Walls
Queensryche-Operation Mindcrime

Lance B
09-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Sorry, 10 is waaaay too limiting so there is no way I can keep it to 10, so I did 25. No particular order. If you really must narrow it down, then take the top 10 listed here, but I wouldn't be without any of these 25. In fact I really would like to make it at least 100 that I couldn't do without.

1. The Specials - The Specials(first album)
2. Avalon - Roxy Music
3. Unplugged - Nirvana
4. Pictures at an Exhibition - Emerson Lake and Palmer also the Telarc recording of same.
5. For Your Pleasure - Roxy Music
6. Transformer - Lou Reed
7. Armed Forces - Elvis Costello
8. Sound Affects - The Jam
9. Talking Heads - Fear of Music
10. Zoot Allures - Frank Zappa
11. Close to the Edge - Yes
12. Machine Head - Deep Purple
13. Nilsson Schmilsson - Harry Nilsson
14. Harvest - Neil Young
15. Midnight Oil - 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
16. Houses of the Holy - Led Zeppelin
17. Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd.
18. Dire Straits - Dire Straits
19. Doors - The Doors
20. Abraxas - Santana
21. Sgt Pepper's - The Beatles
22. A New World Record - ELO
23. A Space in Time - Ten Years After
24. Green River - Creedence Clearwater Revival
25. Any XTC album.

dingus
09-23-2007, 06:23 PM
15. Midnight Oil - 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
my man!!!

bobsticks
09-23-2007, 06:31 PM
MUST HAVE...for what or whom?...and including how many categories of music?

Seems a little like asking an astrophysicist what his favorite ten meteorites are. I'll tell ya what, take Slumpy's top ten discs and jayra's top ten albums, throw 'em up in the air and whatever ten hit the ground first are my picks...

PeruvianSkies
09-23-2007, 10:31 PM
I realize that coming up with ONLY 10 is nearly impossible, but that is not really the point of this thread... its not that you can't have other albums that you think are worthy of ownership, but that we can compile a master list of 10 that anyone and everyone should have in their collection.

Feanor
09-24-2007, 08:12 AM

Seems a little like asking an astrophysicist what his favorite ten meteorites are. I'll tell ya what, take Slumpy's top ten discs and jayra's top ten albums, throw 'em up in the air and whatever ten hit the ground first are my picks...

Regardless of how much unanimity there might be around a list of 10, say, rock albums, nothing would entice me to obtain them. For me, today, that genre is simply impertinent to musical enjoyment.

Lance B
09-24-2007, 05:24 PM
my man!!!

What surprises me, Dingus, is that it would appear that you are from the USA and that you even know about Midnight Oil! They are quite possibly my favourite Australian rock band along with Mental As Anything and Cold Chisel. "10 to 1" and "Diesels and Dust" are my faves from the Oils, but they have a lot of great stuff. I remember going to see them as a pub band in the early eighties and they were fantastic. Did you see the video "Black Rain Falls" when the Oils pulled up in the Centre of New York City outsied the Exxon building on a the back of a flat top at lunchtime and started playing to the lunchtime crowd? That is one of the best! Looking at you age, we are of nearly the same vintage, so maybe taste and age go along together. :wink5:

dingus
09-24-2007, 06:43 PM
What surprises me, Dingus, is that it would appear that you are from the USA and that you even know about Midnight Oil!
what surprises me is that the Oils arent more well known in the states. one of the best rock bands ever, regardless of geographical location, and the best live band bar none. to say i am a fan would be an understatement, they are my favorite band without question. i've got all their commercial releases and all the live footage that i can get my hands on, Black Rain Falls is no exception.

Lance B
09-24-2007, 08:23 PM
what surprises me is that the Oils arent more well known in the states. one of the best rock bands ever, regardless of geographical location, and the best live band bar none. to say i am a fan would be an understatement, they are my favorite band without question. i've got all their commercial releases and all the live footage that i can get my hands on, Black Rain Falls is no exception.

It surprises me also that they are not better known world wide. Maybe their political stance upsets some of the record execs:wink5:
Anyway, it's good to see someone in the States who knows them and likes their music, so you must have good taste. :14:

Luvin Da Blues
09-24-2007, 08:32 PM
It surprises me also that they are not better known world wide. Maybe their political stance upsets some of the record execs:wink5:
Anyway, it's good to see someone in the States who knows them and likes their music, so you must have good taste. :14:

They were pretty big up here in Canada in their heyday. :23:

dingus
09-25-2007, 12:03 AM
... you must have good taste. :14:
likewise.

SlumpBuster
09-25-2007, 11:52 AM
I'll tell ya what, take Slumpy's top ten discs and jayra's top ten albums, throw 'em up in the air and whatever ten hit the ground first are my picks...

Hold it now! Wait just a minute! Don't ever put me in the same category as Jayra...

he has much better musical taste than I do. :D

Fred333
09-25-2007, 12:52 PM
I would have to say for my tastes a good album to have would be the Counting Crows first disc. You can listen to the whole thing with out forwarding any of them.

bobsticks
09-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Hold it now! Wait just a minute! Don't ever put me in the same category as Jayra...

he has much better musical taste than I do. :D

Yeah, but as the resident musical dilettente I respect and admire his good taste while wallowingly embracing your bad taste. Not since our dear, departed Dusty Chalk has anyone accumulated such a useless and affected cornucopia of musical nonsense as I ;)

Lance B
09-25-2007, 09:51 PM
likewise.

I shouls have realised from your signature photo!

bobsticks
09-07-2009, 07:08 AM

Two years later I stand by this...and I like Feanor's jazz list too...

Violator?!...meh, toolboy couldn't even choose the best album by that band much less a top ten must-have...

Rudy Gireyev
09-07-2009, 11:02 AM
OK since Bob resurrected this thread. :)
1. Vicente Amigo - Ciudad De Las Ideas
2. Vicente Amigo - Poeta
3. Vicente Amigo - Un Momento En El Sonido
4. Vicente Amigo - Vivencias Imaginadas
5. Vicente Amigo - De Mi Corazon Al Aire
6. Vicente Amigo has also just released Paseo De Gracia although I have not heard it yet, I somehow am sure it will find a spot in my top 6.

7 - 10 Hundreds if not thousands of works of musical art, and none of them have ever been played on top 40 radio. :mad2: :thumbsup: :eek: :cool:

Rudy

bobsticks
09-07-2009, 11:26 AM
I love "Ciudad De Las Ideas"...awesome rec...

RGA
09-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Great lists - gives me some ideas to go check out next time in my local record shop.

Glad to see Jackson Browne make someone's list. He's probably my favorite most listenable and most replayed out of the make vocalist/rock guys I have.

I highly recommend his Acoustic Vol 1&2 albums - excellent recordings to boot. But it is just him with the piano and guitar. I find them immensely replayable.

Rudy Gireyev
09-07-2009, 02:01 PM
I love "Ciudad De Las Ideas"...awesome rec...
The man is like no other, his other works are also quite impressive. I love many many different types of music, but in my 44 years of musical enjoyment I've never heard anything like Vicente's music. It's sort of in a category of its own.
I believe "Ciudad" is a Grammy winner if memory serves me correctly.
I'm so glad you resurrected this thread as I'm always happy to find out about fellow Vicente fans. He is like a treasure that very few have discovered, at least in the US.

Can you imagine Vicente on SACD or Blu-Ray? :thumbsup: That would be the Ultimate of the Ultimate.

Rudy

Jack in Wilmington
09-07-2009, 04:25 PM
The man is like no other, his other works are also quite impressive. I love many many different types of music, but in my 44 years of musical enjoyment I've never heard anything like Vicente's music. It's sort of in a category of its own.
I believe "Ciudad" is a Grammy winner if memory serves me correctly.
I'm so glad you resurrected this thread as I'm always happy to find out about fellow Vicente fans. He is like a treasure that very few have discovered, at least in the US.

Can you imagine Vicente on SACD or Blu-Ray? :thumbsup: That would be the Ultimate of the Ultimate.

Rudy

Hey Rudy. Has Vicente recorded anything in English? It's really hard for me to appreciate music if I can't understand the lyrics. It's very beautiful music, but it won't grab me if I don't know what he's singing about. Maybe that's why I can't get into Opera.

poppachubby
09-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Tough Proposition...in no particular order...

1) Bob Dylan- Blood on the Tracks

2) Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon

3) Led Zeppelin- II

4) The Beatles- Revolver

5) Guns N Roses- Appetite for Destruction

6) Stevie Wonder- Innervisions

7) Parliament Funkadelic- Mothership Connection

8) Curtis Mayfield- Curtis

9) Bob Marley- Exodus

10) Bad Brains- S/T

...now I will go and stay awake all night contemplating this bloody list...

poppachubby
09-07-2009, 05:25 PM

4. Enya, Orinoco Flow
5. Pink Floyd, The Wall
8. Sade, Best of Sade

.....Killing Joke, great touch

Rudy Gireyev
09-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Hey Rudy. Has Vicente recorded anything in English? It's really hard for me to appreciate music if I can't understand the lyrics. It's very beautiful music, but it won't grab me if I don't know what he's singing about. Maybe that's why I can't get into Opera.
That's funny that you say that. As a youngster I enjoyed a lot of music in English even though I could not speak a word of it, until I turned 16 and we came to this country. Now that I know what those lyrics were about I so miss those days of old when I had no idea .....
In Russia lyrics were written by actual poets and music was composed by actual composers. The performers were just that, performers. Everyone played to their strengths and the results were quite spectacular. I'm still looking for something even remotely poetic in the English language, from either side of the Pond.
Anyway, no he does not have anything in English, save the single he did with Sting. He is very much a Flamenco artist and the tradition of it would not allow him to do something that brazen. I think it would be considered a betrayal of sorts. You know what I mean?
Also bear in mind that the amount of singing in his material is, I don't want to say minimal, but rather measured. The vocals are used as instruments more so, rather than a traditional lead for the "band" role they usually play.

Like you I don't really speak a word of Spanish let alone the Andaluz dialect that so dominates Flamenco. But I actually like it that way. :) Makes me focus on the music and prevents the potential disappointment upon discovering what the words actually say. :)

Rudy

Edit: Just a note, he doesn't actually sing on any of his albums he has two regular singers "Cantaors" that have been with him since his first album "De mi Corazon al Aire" that do the job quite admirably. One of those singers Potito has become quite famous is his own right in the Flamenco world.

oaqm
09-07-2009, 09:27 PM
In no particular order:

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms

Global Communication - 76:14

Buddy Guy - Sweet Tea

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery

Pink Floyd - Pulse

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Deja Vu

Frank Zappa - Thingfish

Renaissance - Scheherazade & Other Stories

The Beatles - Abbey Road

Jack in Wilmington
09-08-2009, 02:15 AM
That's funny that you say that. As a youngster I enjoyed a lot of music in English even though I could not speak a word of it, until I turned 16 and we came to this country. Now that I know what those lyrics were about I so miss those days of old when I had no idea .....
In Russia lyrics were written by actual poets and music was composed by actual composers. The performers were just that, performers. Everyone played to their strengths and the results were quite spectacular. I'm still looking for something even remotely poetic in the English language, from either side of the Pond.
Anyway, no he does not have anything in English, save the single he did with Sting. He is very much a Flamenco artist and the tradition of it would not allow him to do something that brazen. I think it would be considered a betrayal of sorts. You know what I mean?
Also bear in mind that the amount of singing in his material is, I don't want to say minimal, but rather measured. The vocals are used as instruments more so, rather than a traditional lead for the "band" role they usually play.

Like you I don't really speak a word of Spanish let alone the Andaluz dialect that so dominates Flamenco. But I actually like it that way. :) Makes me focus on the music and prevents the potential disappointment upon discovering what the words actually say. :)

Rudy

Edit: Just a note, he doesn't actually sing on any of his albums he has two regular singers "Cantaors" that have been with him since his first album "De mi Corazon al Aire" that do the job quite admirably. One of those singers Potito has become quite famous is his own right in the Flamenco world.

Thank you for the insightful information. I do enjoy Santana very much and some of his songs are not in English. You may have a point also. Some of todays music is so bad lyrically that I wish I could mute it.

salad 419
09-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Well some of these are in constant rotation

Frank Zappa - Roxy and Elsewhere
Tool - Aenima
Phish - Picture of Nectar
Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies - Magnolia
Big Ass Truck - Who Let You In Here
Stevie Wonder - Inner Visions
Miles Davis - Live at Filmore East
Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage
Mahuvishnu Orchestra - The Lost Trident Sessions

WHO said Thing Fish??? I love that album. Hell, I could do a top 10 Zappa list and not include all of the albums I'd want on here. I just tried to mix it up a little bit.

hifitommy
09-13-2009, 10:05 AM
but here are mine:

1. osamu-self titled-VERY rare and NOT on cd-japanese fusion for lack of a better term.

2. dire straits-love over gold-great tunes and playing, wowee dynamics.

3. moussorgsky's pictures at an exhibition-tomita-a nearly visual presentation; lorin maazel and the cleveland orchestra on telarc-quintessentioal performance, tempos right on the money, and VERY powerful, especially in the great gate of kiev finale.

4. miles davis-tutu-his best after the hiatus. he and marcus miller do a classic treatment to new music. another one to get if you can find it is 'siesta' which is a little like sketches.

5. little feat-last record album-loong distance love is my fave but the rest is fine as well.

6. bela fleck and the flecktones-flight of the cosmic hippo-title cut is a fantastic demo cut and example of electric bass playing by victor wooten. set up your sub using this and it will be just right.

7. zubin mehta and the LA phil-holst's the planets suite-perhaps the best planets of them all performance and recording wise. until recently, i didnt know it was heavily multimiked, a fact that eludes you in the listening. powerful, beuatiful, lyrical, and i never tire of it. the LP is the best, xrcd next (although i havent heard an sacd which may not even exist anyway).

8. robbie robertson-eponymous-daniel lanois produced, therefore juicy as hell, great rock and roll, well delivered and recorded. again the LP is best, cd pretty good too.

9. oliver nelson-the blues and the abstract truth-what a personnel lineup! stolen moments is worth the price of admission. i only have a digitally mastered reissue vinyl but have heard the LP (really good).

10. andreas vollenweider-caverna magica-got the cd first, pretty good, then the LP-MUCH better graphics and the sound is likewise. very spacious.

of course there are MANY more such as sergio mendes and brasil 66-primal roots- a very un-brasil 66 like album. more like REAL brasilian music, and hard to get as well.

as you can guess, i am mostly in the vinyl mode but much music is only available on cd, and some only on LP.

recoveryone
09-13-2009, 11:04 AM
1. Talking Book...Stevie Wonder First Break from the Motown doo Wop sound

2. Songs In the Key of life...Stevie Wonder The full growth of the last 2 albums (Innervison & Fulfillingness First Finale)

3.Mothership Connections...Parliament Let me add the single "Chocolate City" and call me Starchild.

4. Headhunters...Herbbie Hancock Pure funk fusion with Jazz

5. Led Zeppelin IV...Led Zeppelin Has there been any better since?

6. Framptom comes Alive...Peter Framptom Intro of adult soft rock

7. Aja...Steely Dan Just simply smooth Donald ***en solo album Nightfly could be mention here too.

8. School Days...Stanley Clark

9.Best of Sade...Sade Brought sexy to Jazz ballads

10. Lets get it on & I want you...Marvin Gaye You can just include his full body of work.

hifitommy
09-13-2009, 11:15 AM
journey to love. not only is the music very good, the cut 'silly putty' is a great demo of enormous bass which i first heard on stacked advents driven by a phase linear 700II with the grill cloths LEAPING.

i had heard this sound that couldnt be ignored from another demo room at pacific stereo on topanga cyn blvd and then i saw the "stupid human trick/don't try this at home" demo being conducted in the high end room.

but listen to the rest of the album, you wont be sorry:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:jzfwxqtgldse

JoeE SP9
09-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Here's my list of the 10 must have recordings.

01. Miles Davis Kind Of Blue
02. The Allman Brothers Band Live At Filmore East
03. Donald F*gen The Nightfly (I'm a victim of censorship)
04. The Doobie Brothers Minute By Minute
05. The Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers
06. Sonny Rollins Saxophone Colossus
07. Sade Diamond Life
08. Paul Simon Graceland
09. Frank Sinatra Live At The Sands with Count Basie
10. The Beatles Abbey Road

These are 10 CD/LP's that I think everyone should own. They are all from groups or individuals with staying power. The all consist of music that will still sound just as fresh 20 years from now. A couple have demo quality sound.

hifitommy
09-13-2009, 11:30 PM
fegelleh. GOY VEY!

poppachubby
09-14-2009, 03:08 AM
Just wondering if anyone is managing this thread. Do we have a count?

E-Stat
09-14-2009, 06:52 AM
Just wondering if anyone is managing this thread. Do we have a count?
Cumulative count or common responses?

rw

hifitommy
09-20-2009, 07:59 AM
my choices are the best ones, you can stop there. ;^)

mijs
09-23-2009, 11:27 AM
Quadrophenia - The Who
Allman Bros Fillmore East
If I could only Remember My Name - David Crosby (Amazing album if you've never heard
it. Lots of heavy hitters - J. Garcia, Grace Slick, Joni Mithcell,...very
organic album)

Hejira - Joni Mitchell
Wish You Were Here - PF
Kid A - Radiohead
Dire Straits - DS
Joe's Garage - FZ
Bach Keyboard Concertos
Six Wives of Henry VIII - Rick Wakeman

rob_a
09-24-2009, 01:02 PM
There are so many good albums in this world. In no way am I saying my picks are better than anyone else’s. These are albums I have listened to over the years and I think they’re worth a mention.

1. Pink Floyd - Darks Side of the Moon
2. U2- The Joshua Tree
3. Pearl Jam – Ten
4. Stevie Ray Vaughn – Greatest Hits
5. Led Zeppelin – IV
6. The Eagles – Hell freezes over (live)
7. The Beach Boys – Pet Sounds
8. Radio head – the Bends
9. Dave Matthews band – Crash
10. Royal Crown Revue – Mugzy’s Move

frenchmon
09-24-2009, 01:56 PM
9. oliver nelson-the blues and the abstract truth-what a personnel lineup! stolen moments is worth the price of admission. i only have a digitally mastered reissue vinyl but have heard the LP (really good).

I agree....I have a CD copy of the album.

Auricauricle
09-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Sure, I'll play...

In no particular order, I will go for:

10) Brand-X: Moroccon Roll. Great extemporization and passion. Much nonsense and consequence. I love every minute of it!

9) Beethoven: Symphony 9. God, Beethoven and me on a mountain top. I'm there!

8) Orff: Carmina Burana. The flesh is spirit, the spirit flesh. Where's my sandwich?

7) Freddy Hubbard: First Light. M-m-m! Oh, yeah....

6) Miles Davis: Simply Blue. A perfect jazz session if there was one! Spoooooky!

5) Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon. The apex.

4) Beethoven: Piano Concerto no. 5 (The Emperor [V. Ashkenazi]) It's all there.

3) Offenbach: The Tales of Hoffman (Beverly Sills et al.) We humans!

2) Vangelis: China. Ahh, the Tao...The Himalayas...I'm there....

1) Roger Daltry: Live at Carneigie Hall. Sometimes, you just have to rock and roll....

gimmieshelter31
09-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Mine are:

Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
Yes - The Yes Album
Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark
The Band - Music From Big Pink
Beatles - Abbey Road
The Black Crowes - The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion
James Taylor - Sweet Baby James
Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus
AC/DC - High Voltage

Jim Clark
10-01-2009, 12:43 PM
It's nice to see some of the more interesting pics although I'm not sure why anyone would consider anything by the Doobie Brothers essential unless they just happen to love the Doobies. Nothing wrong with that, but essential? Yeah, I got crap like that on my list too : )

Also came across some pretty thoughtful selections ie. Radiohead. I like the obvious choices ie. KOB and the going out on a limb picks ie. Talking Heads. I tried to make sure my list contained most of these elements, crap, thoughtful and obvious. Which is which is up to the individual listener.

no order except for the first!

The Clash - London Calling. Seriously, not on anyone's list? Wow.
Ramones - Self titled. I saw Road to Ruin listed earlier - cool
Elvis Presley - Self Titled. Seems obvious to me- guess it's not : (
Brubeck - Time Out. I don't even enjoy Jazz but this and the next pick are obvious even to me.
Miles Davis - KOB
Joy Division - Closer Guess old punk rockers are in short supply and post punk rockers are non-existent around here Pretty hard to deny the impact of this band and the music they continue to influence though. Plus it's just freakin' brilliant.
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
REM - Murmur
Paul Simon - Graceland
Alan Parsons Project - I Robot prog rock that wasn't obviously prog (attractive women actually liked it for example) and at the same time synth pop that wasn't just weird electronic noodling.

Honorable mention to Bob Marley. Probably could have sacrificed Fleetwood Mac. In retrospect Marley would be easier to defend : )

Thanks to everyone for their lists.

bobsticks
04-07-2011, 10:46 AM
The Cars - "Candy O"

Aw, what's wrong Ric?...why the long face?

http://images.starpulse.com/pictures/2008/11/21/previews/Ric%20Ocasek-SDW-000865.jpg

SlumpBuster
04-07-2011, 12:49 PM
At least Ric is putting Phil Spector's wig collection to good use while he is locked up.

And in related news:

http://www.wallpaperremix.com/Celebrities/Paulina-Porizkova/Paulina-Porizkova-8.JPG

dingus
04-07-2011, 01:00 PM
it was interesting to review my 10 picks from a few years ago. today i would only make one change, substituting Elton John's "Honky Chateau" with"Tumbleweed Connection".

hifitommy
04-07-2011, 03:04 PM
auicleX2:

2) Vangelis: China. Ahh, the Tao...The Himalayas.

pretty nice, all that outdoor recording. i've never seen anybody else mention this double album.

cyto
05-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Here are mine:

Pink Floyd-WYWH
ELP-Brain Salad Surgery
Deep Purple-Machine Head
Black Sabbath-Paranoid
Jimi Hendrix-Electric Ladyland
Carol King-Tapestry
Elton John-Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
ACDC-Back in Black
Alice Cooper-Billion Dollar Babies
Rush-2112

Not in any order

Florian
06-09-2011, 02:41 PM
My top ten (Not in that particular order, except for all Floyds... should be on top)

1. Roger Waters - The final cut
2. Pink Floyd - The Wall
3. Dimitri Shostakovich - Symphony Nr. 8
4. Tchaikovski - 1812 on Telarc
5. The Doors - LA Women
6. The Rocky Horror picture show
7. John Lennon - Imagine
8. MJ - Thriller
9. Meat Loaf - Bat out of Hell 1
10. Frank Zappa - Beat the Boots

winston
06-09-2011, 07:28 PM
so many music, so little time "I'll just stay with the jazz. the top of my lists would be "playboy's jazz "jazz after dark (II) this is a combination of emotion,relaxation, and romance jazz, this compilation was produce by Rick Phillips and Joe Tarantino great stuff.

Karrin Allyson, ballads remembering John Coltrane (2)
Michael Brecker, the nearness of you-- the ballad book (3)
Charles Lloyd, the water is wide (4)
Patrica Barber, modern cool (5)
Patrica Barber, (live) a fortnight in France (6)
Wynton Marsalis-marsalis standard time vol.1 (7)
Terence Blanchard, lets get loss (8)
Buddy Rich, (giant steps) the great performers features Lionel Hampton (9)
I called number (10) a Jazz/rock, Carlos Santana, (1978 Inner secrets)

jonnyhambone
06-09-2011, 07:59 PM
caveat: I'm answering the OP question - these aren't my ten faves or desert island lp's or whatev...though I love them all - they're the ten lp's that anyone who's into rock music should have or at least have listened to a substantial amount of spins...imo, and in no order...
* Sonic Youth - Sister
* Yes - Close to the Edge
* Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
* Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
* Steely Dan - Aja
* Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground
* REM - Murmur
* The Beatles - Abbey Road ?!...or...
* The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street
* The Minutemen - Double Nickles on the Dime
* Neil Young - Tonight's the Night

pixelthis
06-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Pink FLOYD ...DSOTM
Stones... Exile on main street
BLOOD, SWEAT, TEARS...best
Jagged little pill, Alanis
SURFACING Sarah MAC
Tiger Lilly Natilie Merchant
Practical Dreamer...BENOIT
Anything by...JEWEL
iVAN LINZ greatest hits
Ella Fitzerald songbook
Anything by...Chairman of the board(old blue eyes)
GETZ and Gilberto...ballads and BOSSANOVA

Of course trying to limit the vast selection of music that has been
created is futile...fun to do, tho.:1:

TheSmartIdiot95
06-16-2011, 01:00 PM
My top 10 albums are:

Eagles - Hotel California
AC/DC - High Voltage
Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive!
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Second Helping
Van Halen - Van Halen
Joe Walsh - Rocky Mountain Way
Journey - Escape
Bob Seger - Back In '72
Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell
Don Henley - Building the Perfect Beast

frenchmon
06-16-2011, 02:11 PM
I've been thinking about this and I just cant name a top #10 albums or a top #1 album. So much music out there and the good stuff really moves me emotionally to the same place....and what gets into my soul is all number 1 I suppose.

YBArcam
06-19-2011, 09:03 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3d/TheMagiciansBirthday.jpg

So underrated.

frenchmon
06-20-2011, 06:34 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3d/TheMagiciansBirthday.jpg

So underrated.

Hey YBA...i've noticed your signature. Did the Castle win out over the Tannoy? And also, I've noticed in one of your postings you may upgrade your TT. You already have the 2.2, so don't count out MH.

While I've listened to a friends Rega P3 which sounds really good, I still decided to go with the mmf-7.1 which is out standing as well. My reasoning was if I was able to get such good high level performance from the mmf-2.1 what kinda performance can I get from jumping up to the mmf-7.1 and boy amI glad I did. This thing is off the chain and I still have the same entry level cart on it that I had on my 2.1...so getting a better cart is going to interesting. So if you have a chance to listen to the 7.1 try it out.

YBArcam
06-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Hey YBA...i've noticed your signature. Did the Castle win out over the Tannoy? And also, I've noticed in one of your postings you may upgrade your TT. You already have the 2.2, so don't count out MH.

While I've listened to a friends Rega P3 which sounds really good, I still decided to go with the mmf-7.1 which is out standing as well. My reasoning was if I was able to get such good high level performance from the mmf-2.1 what kinda performance can I get from jumping up to the mmf-7.1 and boy amI glad I did. This thing is off the chain and I still have the same entry level cart on it that I had on my 2.1...so getting a better cart is going to interesting. So if you have a chance to listen to the 7.1 try it out.

Hi frenchmon,

Yes, the Castle won out. I should post new pics - I've reorganized my room, with the system now more of a focal point. It has it's own wall now and looks pretty sweet.

On the turntable front, I actually sold my 2.2 to a friend at work and bought a used LP12!! Got a good deal on one locally, made in the late 80's and in real nice shape. Couldn't pass it up as I've always wanted this table. Besides, I figure it'll hold it's value pretty well, so the downside risk isn't very big. Right now I've also got a cheap cart that belongs to the seller. He's letting me use it for a while, but I'll have to return it and buy my own soon. The LP12 is a very nice upgrade on the 2.2 with an entry level Grado cart. I expect another bump up in performance when I can finally fit it with something nicer. Nothing too crazy, maybe a Linn Adikt or something in that range.

frenchmon
06-22-2011, 05:14 AM
Hi frenchmon,

Yes, the Castle won out. I should post new pics - I've reorganized my room, with the system now more of a focal point. It has it's own wall now and looks pretty sweet.

On the turntable front, I actually sold my 2.2 to a friend at work and bought a used LP12!! Got a good deal on one locally, made in the late 80's and in real nice shape. Couldn't pass it up as I've always wanted this table. Besides, I figure it'll hold it's value pretty well, so the downside risk isn't very big. Right now I've also got a cheap cart that belongs to the seller. He's letting me use it for a while, but I'll have to return it and buy my own soon. The LP12 is a very nice upgrade on the 2.2 with an entry level Grado cart. I expect another bump up in performance when I can finally fit it with something nicer. Nothing too crazy, maybe a Linn Adikt or something in that range.

Yeah man you gotta get pictures up...and don't forget to post pictures of your new LP12 in the analogue section where the pictures of the decks are located. What arm do you have on that table? Is it a 9c or 9cc or someting else? And what cart do you have in mind? I am happy you are enjoying your music.

What did you like about the Castles over the Tannoy? All you speakers looked nice, but I guess it came down to system matching.

frenchmon.

YBArcam
06-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Yeah man you gotta get pictures up...and don't forget to post pictures of your new LP12 in the analogue section where the pictures of the decks are located. What arm do you have on that table? Is it a 9c or 9cc or someting else? And what cart do you have in mind? I am happy you are enjoying your music.

What did you like about the Castles over the Tannoy? All you speakers looked nice, but I guess it came down to system matching.

frenchmon.

Don't want to get too much into it here, as this thread is for something else. After this I'll find another thread to post in.

The arm is a Linn Ittok. A pretty well regarded arm. The table, from what I've been told, is all original. A lot of LP12 tables have been worked on or upgraded, so I felt getting an original was another plus. I may eventually do some of the Linn upgrades but I've no plans to do so right now.

In terms of the speakers, the Avon has greater clarity and separation of instruments than did the Tannoy. The tweeter is one of the best I've heard personally. The speakers do a great job disappearing and put forth a very cohesive sound. They sound quick and I guess due to Castle's great build quality also avoid cabinet resonances. I've heard some floorstanders that don't sound as clear as monitors. These are pretty darned close. On the minus side (no speaker at this price is perfect) I'd say they lack a little in excitement and drive. A common criticism of Castle. Bass might also be a little fuller than I'd like. I think I'm learning that I prefer a leaner sound (not too lean of course!).

Ry Manchu
07-11-2011, 06:51 AM
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
The Band - The Band
The Band - Music from Big Pink
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced
Jimi Hendrix - Axis: Bold as Love
Led Zeppelin - II
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
Talking Heads - Remain in Light
The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta
The Police - Synchronicity
The Police - Outlandos D'Amour
The Cars - The Cars
The Cars - Candy-O
AC/DC - Back in Black
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Supertramp - Breakfast in America
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard
Derek and the Dominos
Van Halen - Van Halen
Van Halen - 1984
The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
The Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed
The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet
The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood
Pink Floyd - Animals
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Tool - Aenima
Tool - Undertow
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Metallica - And Justice for All
Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
Iron Maiden - Killers
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Dio - Holy Diver
Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Megadeth - So Far, So Good...So What!
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction
Megadeth - Killing is My Business...and Business is Good
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Jane's Addiction - Nothing Shocking
The Cult - Sonic Temple
The Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker
Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation
Aerosmith - Pump
Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Bryan Adams - Reckless
Heart - Heart
Whitesnake - Whitesnake
Scorpions - Love At First Sting
Lynyrd Skynyrd - (pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Pearl Jam - Ten
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz
Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman
Def Leppard - Pyromania
Def Leppard - Hysteria
Ratt - Out of the Cellar
Rush - Moving Pictures

Ry Manchu
07-11-2011, 06:58 AM
If I had to narrow:

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
The Band - Music from Big Pink
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
Talking Heads - Remain in Light
The Police - Synchronicity
AC/DC - Back in Black
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
Derek and the Dominos
Van Halen - Van Halen
The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood
Pink Floyd - Animals
Tool - Aenima
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
The Cult - Sonic Temple
Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation
Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Lynyrd Skynyrd - (pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Pearl Jam - Ten
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz
Def Leppard - Pyromania
Rush - Moving Pictures

the hand of boredom
07-11-2011, 07:51 AM
At 33 years of age and never really followed rock you might find my selections a bit off but here goes:

1. Oscar Peterson Trio - We Get Requests; OPT at it's finest, and the remastering by Verve is second to none
2. Gregory Isaacs - More Gregory; a really hard to find issue but all his best cuts backed the The Roots Radics band
3. Bob Marley - Legend; the remastered is suberb, the music ain't bad either
4. AC/DC - Back In Black; can listen to this all day
5. Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - In IZ World; the gentle hawai'ian's works remixed, most of the tracks are just he and the uke
6. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours, is one of my fiancee's favorites, it gets a bit of airtime on the system
7. Sir Charles Makerras - Mozart's 25/28/29 Symphony; my first classical cd, great recording with great intimacy and pace
8. Jack Johnson - On & On; most here may find him too mellow, but the MUSIC is incredible and engaging if you really pay attention, Bernie Grundman did a great job at mastering this album
9. Bobby McFerrin - Best Of - superbly recorded, mixed, mastered
10. Depeche Mode - Violator; greatest album from the band; DM got me into music, this was one of the first albums I ever bought.

vintage_or_bust
07-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Pink Floyd - Darkside of the Moon

this must be included

BallinWithNash
07-12-2011, 01:35 AM
Matchbox Twenty - Mad Season
Taylor Swift - Speak Now
Shinedown - Leave a Whisper
Orianthi - Believe
KISS - Alive 1
Pearl Jam - Ten
U2 - How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
Red Hot Chili Pepper - Stadium Arcadium
Def Leppard - High N Dry
3 Doors Down - The Better Life

marlonrom
07-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Masami Nakagawa JVC JD3311 Touch of Spring
Gary Burton & the Berklee All-Stars JVC JD3301
Mikio Masuda JVC JD3313 Smokin' Night
Malta JVC JD3310 Obsession
Joe Gallardo Latino Blue Inak 853CD
The John Dentz Reunion Band RT RT3004
Eugene Cicero Nippin Columbia CD35C38-7327
Jau Hoggard GRP D-9516 Days Like These
Wayne Bedrosian PR-CD7003 Jazzical Class
Mal Waldron King Records Japan CDK38Y6004 You and the Night and the Music

Hello Everyone. I am looking for a laser pickup unit for my vintage Yamaha CD 1 player. Anyone keeping a spare in his or her locked box please advise let me hear your price. Thanks

marlonrom
07-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Few female vocalist a must have for the enthusiast:
1. Opie Bellas
2. Irene Altman
3. Sarah Morrau
4. Ilona Knofler
5. Emi Fujita
6. Corrinne May
7. Jacqui Dankworth
8. Yvette Steuart
9. Anita Mayer
10. Lydia Gray
11. Monica Mancinni
12. Sarah Morgan

Happy listening folks.

vintage_or_bust
07-13-2011, 05:30 AM
A newer title that sounds great on vinyl

Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues

Jack in Wilmington
07-13-2011, 07:13 AM
Few female vocalist a must have for the enthusiast:
1. Opie Bellas
2. Irene Altman
3. Sarah Morrau
4. Ilona Knofler
5. Emi Fujita
6. Corrinne May
7. Jacqui Dankworth
8. Yvette Steuart
9. Anita Mayer
10. Lydia Gray
11. Monica Mancinni
12. Sarah Morgan

Happy listening folks.

Wow do we travel in different circles musically. You just listed 22 albums in 2 posts, and I haven't heard of any of them. I know I'm more of a classic rock guy when it comes to today's music, but I do listen to some of today's music on XM radio.

Glen B
07-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Every album in my collection is a must have, as far as I'm concerned, or I would not have them. To compile a list of 10 would be tough. There are two tiles that I cherish more than the others, and have two near-mint vinyl copies of each: Buddy Miles Live and Cold Blood's first album.

marlonrom
07-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Wow do we travel in different circles musically. You just listed 22 albums in 2 posts, and I haven't heard of any of them. I know I'm more of a classic rock guy when it comes to today's music, but I do listen to some of today's music on XM radio.

Why not try auditioning these at Itune stores or Amazon. Ebay don't provide listening booths so the two are your best bet.

JoeE SP9
07-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Hey marlonrom, some of the vocalists you've listed are pretty good. Calling them diva's is stretching things a little. You should have mentioned earlier that they are all Jazz or Jazz oriented. As JiW said he's more a classic rock guy. Jazz is my primary music type.

Glen B: I don't have the first but I have Sisyphus. Bought it new back then.

Jack in Wilmington
07-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Hey marlonrom, some of the vocalists you've listed are pretty good. Calling them diva's is stretching things a little. You should have mentioned earlier that they are all Jazz or Jazz oriented. As JiW said he's more a classic rock guy. Jazz is my primary music type.

Thanks Joe, I'm just starting to build a jazz collection. My new speakers do give me more of an apprecation of jazz. I was at my local HiFi shop on Friday for a couple of hours and I was really getting into some Stanley Clarke. Now I will check out your list marlonrom, now that I know it's jazz oriented.

JoeE SP9
07-17-2011, 09:08 PM
Right off the top of my head here is a list of a few well known Jazz Diva's

Ella Fitzgerald
Dinah Washington
Billie Holliday
Sarah Vaughan
Carmen McCrae
Nancy Wilson
Shirley Horn
Nina Simone

I would recommend the vocalists above before any of those marlonrom mentioned. This doesn't mean the ones he mentioned aren't any good. They are however, rather obscure.

Any of those I listed above are true diva's. This is not just my opinion.
Check the link below
http://www.waer.org/50women.html

I met Stanley years ago. He's from my general neighborhood. You might want to try some Return To Forever. I can especially recommend Light As A Feather.
Chick Corea Keyboards
Joe Farrell Flute
Lenny White Drums
Airto Percussion
Stanley Clarke Bass
Florim Purim Vocals

Check the dropbox Poppa Chubby set up sometime tomorrow night.

02audionoob
07-17-2011, 09:12 PM
That list of 50 women is great. Any collection of that genre should start with that top 4.

marlonrom
07-18-2011, 10:06 AM

Thanks Joe but of course your observation is right on the money. I admit I might have pushed the envelope a bit too far referring to the ladies as divas. Of course they are not (not yet anyway). It wasn't giving light to the real Divas the list of names you referred to because for all intents and purposes, they are the mother of all divas. I am sure and I know you will agree, these real divas didn't start being fabulously known from the very first moment they held the microphone. I mentioned these fast rising female singers because some of these - 50 years from now, will make it to the top I mean particularly Opie Bellas and Irene Altman. Cheers!

marlonrom
07-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Since we are talking of Jazz vinyls (at least in my case still head banged on listening to the sweet sounds of vinyls) I have the following to make your afternoons a bit more intoxicating over a mug of light bud!

1. Aurex Jazz Festival '80 "Battle of the Horns" starring: Dizzy Gillespie, Illinois Jacquet, Eddie Lockjaw Davis, Harold Land, Cal Tjader, Cedar Walton, Eddie Gomez & Shelly Manne. Toshiba/EMI Japan pressing Album No.ewj80189

2. Sammy Nestico " Dark Orchids"
3. John McNeil Trio " I've Got The World On A String" with John McNeil, Doug Raney, Jesper Lundgaard & Aage Tangaard
4. Bernt Rosengren "Tentet Live" featuring Doug Raney Jazz Import Sweden Dragon Album No. DRLP56
5. Bob Summers Quintet "Inside Out" with Lanny Morgan, Frank Strazzeri, John Heard & Chuck Flores
6. Bob Cooper "Tenor Sax Jazz Impressions with Carl Schroader, Bob Magnusson, Jimmie Smith Direct to Disc Limited First Edition Trend/Discovery album No.: TR518.

All very fabulous mint records at fabelous Happy listening cheers!

marlonrom
07-18-2011, 12:07 PM
1. Ups & Down - Horace Parlan 180 grams
2. Quintet in Chicago - Cannonball Adderley 180 grams
3. Julie is her Name Vol.1 - Julie London
4. Dear John C. - Elvin Jones 180 grams
5. Blue Mind - Anne Bisson 180 grams.

Mac C33 - Mac MR 75
Mac MC2250
Mac MC2255
Mac MC502
DBX 20/20
DBX 224
Fosgate Tate II
Nakamichi Dragon CT - Nakamichi 700ZL
Yamaha CD 1 - Yamaha CD-S2000
Klipsch - Klipschorn
Dyna Audio C1 Signature
JBL BX63 - JBL SRX718S 18" Subwoofer

limonv
07-29-2011, 06:35 AM
pretty cool albums here...
i´d add van halen

mav52
08-02-2011, 07:35 AM
*Paula Cole Band - Amen
*Beethoven's 9th symphony, my favourite being Furtwangler's recording at Bayreuth 1951 on EMI.
*Steely Dan Aja
*Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon
*Three O'Clock Blues" Clapton/King from Riding with the King
*Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
*Alan Parsons Project I Robot
*Eagles Hell Freezes
*Eagles Hotel California
*Doors Riders on the Storm
*Eric Johnson- Venus Isle
*Mozart - Requiem (Mackerras SACD Hybrid)
*Diana Krall's Live in Paris Concert
*Beatles -Abbey Road (Remaster 09)
*Jimi Hendrix – Axis:Bold As Love

Sorry got carried away, PS newbie here

Enochrome
08-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Right off the top of my head here is a list of a few well known Jazz Diva's

Ella Fitzgerald
Dinah Washington
Billie Holliday
Sarah Vaughan
Carmen McCrae
Nancy Wilson
Shirley Horn
Nina Simone

I would recommend the vocalists above before any of those marlonrom mentioned. This doesn't mean the ones he mentioned aren't any good. They are however, rather obscure.

Any of those I listed above are true diva's. This is not just my opinion.
Check the link below
WAER - 50 Greatest Female Jazz Vocalists (http://www.waer.org/50women.html)

I met Stanley years ago. He's from my general neighborhood. You might want to try some Return To Forever. I can especially recommend Light As A Feather.
Chick Corea Keyboards
Joe Farrell Flute
Lenny White Drums
Airto Percussion
Stanley Clarke Bass
Florim Purim Vocals

Check the dropbox Poppa Chubby set up sometime tomorrow night.

Don't forget the undeniable genius and sexiness of PEGGY LEE!!!
She's is one of the very few that actually wrote her own material.

Oooooh, that voice: velvet smoothness.

Xytech
08-09-2011, 07:50 AM
Toscannini - Beethoven 3!

Audiophilus
08-20-2011, 04:30 AM
God's Great Banana Skin, The Road To Hell, both by Chris Rea. Great albums and they make great audio test pieces too!!

And what mav52 said ... almost like you've been searching through some of my albums too :D

MntnMan62
08-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Aja - Steely Dan
Overnight Sensation - Frank Zappa and the Mothers
The White Album - The Beatles
Greatest Hits Live in Tokyo - Earth Wind and Fire (Used to be Greatest Hits but this live album just kicks ass)
Seconds Out - Genesis
Blow by Blow - Jeff Beck
Are You Experienced? - Jimi Hendrix
My Favorite Things - John Coltrane
Led Zeppelin IV
Visions of the Emerald Beyond - Mahavishnu Orchestra
Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
Zenyatta Mondatta - Police
Romantic Warrior - Return to Forever
Moonflower - Santana
School Days - Stanley Clarke
Hot Rocks - Rolling Stones
Innervisions - Stevie Wonder
Heavy Weather - Weather Report
Bump City - Tower of Power
Pat Metheny Group (album of same name)
Heavy Metal Bebop - The Brecker Brothers

Ok, I know. It's more than 10. only 10?.........really???

Mikkee33
09-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Great list, ACDC & ELO good choices

Stone
09-06-2011, 07:21 AM
Cool thread, but FYI there is a Rave Recs forum.