a/b front speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : a/b front speakers

daspaceman
08-31-2007, 02:56 PM
Hello,

I will buy the mission m-cube 5.1 speakers in the near future after reading some reviews on it. I`m searching for an a/v amplifier (i`m intersted/reading on the marantz sr6001 or denon avr2807) that can :

1)Switch from front a/b speakers so that i can listen on stereo on my B&W dm602 speakers (that shouldnt be a problem) while not using it in 5.1 surround mode.

2) Run the system in 5.1 mode and using the front speakers as A (mission m-cube) i.e. a normal 5.1 surround system running all the m-cube speakers ...or using a 5.1system but this time using the B as front speakers (b&w dm602), and use the m-cube speakers for surround , subwoofer and centre speakers, is this possible?

Thanks!

Wireworm5
08-31-2007, 05:57 PM
It's been awhile since I've ran everything through my Yamaha RX-V2200. But I'm pretty sure it can do what your describing.
If I just want stereo then I hit the stereo button on the remote and just the fronts play. You can have two sets of 8 ohms as fronts, one A an the other B. On some Yamaha's this second set is for effects Only from what I understand, but this isn't the case on mine.
So I would check out the Yamaha RX-V's and see if it meets your needs.

daspaceman
08-31-2007, 10:51 PM
Thanks for your reply ,

but what about when you`re playing in 5.1 mode, can you use the front speakers as B and the other speakers for surround, instead of the normal front speakers A and the others for surround, centre etc?

PeruvianSkies
08-31-2007, 10:56 PM
Thanks for your reply ,

but what about when you`re playing in 5.1 mode, can you use the front speakers as B and the other speakers for surround, instead of the normal front speakers A and the others for surround, centre etc?

If what you are saying is what I think you are saying...the answer is no. Speaker terminals are not usually 'assignable' unlike other inputs and outputs. Often times receivers will have an extended surround that can be used for B usage or for bi-amping, but more often than not you are not going to be able to utilize A and B the way you are describing.

daspaceman
08-31-2007, 11:04 PM
Thanks peruvian skies... so when i want to use my B speakers instead of my A speakers for surround, simply i cant, and i have to switch them manually from the back of the a/v reveiver,

Thanks!

PeruvianSkies
08-31-2007, 11:22 PM
Thanks peruvian skies... so when i want to use my B speakers instead of my A speakers for surround, simply i cant, and i have to switch them manually from the back of the a/v reveiver,

Thanks!

Here is what I would do, because this is what I did for quite some time....

My receiver allows me to select 'stereo mode' on each input: tv, dvd, cd, etc. So I have CD setup for 'stereo' and I have DVD setup for 5.1. Therefore, I can toggle back and forth by selecting the input only. You can do this even from the same player as long as the player has two types of outputs, for example if the DVD player has an optical out and a coaxial out. You can assign (or you should be able to) assign the CD input with (let's say the coaxial connection) and therefore when you go to CD input it will play the material in the DVD player in stereo, but when you switch to DVD input it will play the material through the optical and can be in 5.1. Make sense? Hope so.