Recent Rentals... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Recent Rentals...

Worf101
08-31-2007, 05:19 AM
Now that the summer "dad take me and my babbon like friends to the mall" duties are winding down I've started renting some flicks again...

"Letters from Iwo Jima" - B-minus - Far better than it's companion piece but still not engaging to me. Perhaps I should've sprung for it on the big screen but in the HT it didn't grab me as much as I thought it would Perhaps I'm overloaded on WWII, who knows. Great soundtrack though. Right up there with SPR for battle separation.

"Hot Fuzz" - A - Far funnier than I'd thought it would be. Plenty of subtle knocks and sends up of American Culture. Specialy liked their take on NWA as opposed to ours LOL. Good special features, wonderful soundtrack. Great send-up of Cop Flicks in general.

"Black Snake Moan" - B-Minus - Gonna suprise a lot of folks here but I liked this movie. I visited the rural south every summer and I know people like Samuel L. Jackson, hell they were relatives of mine. Story was fair, acting was passable, but the ambiance was dead on. Seeing Christina Ricci's breasts every other minute didn't hurt either.

"Norbitt" - C - I may be overly kind here but I had to watch the movie that singlehandedly cost Eddie Murphy his Oscar for "DreamGirls". I guess every great Stand up comedian who turns movie actor sooner or later makes a flick that only a shrink could love. Much like Richard Pryor's "Jo Jo Dancer" of years gone by this flick is a freudian wet dream of self loathing and hate. I can also see that Eddie has a slight problem with large, loud and forcefull Black Women. Errrr... not exactly gonna earn any NAACP Image awards with this one. Still there were some hilarious moments. There are laughs between the cringes.

Da Worfster

kexodusc
08-31-2007, 08:12 AM
Hmmmm, I have Iwo Jima this weekend so I'll have to reserve comments.

BSM - wasn't bad...it filled 2 hours of my life well enough.

Hot Fuzz - I thought this was pretty funny, great rental. Lookin' forward to more from these guys

Norbitt - all I can say is I'm glad I'm not the only one. Not since Freddy Got Fingered have been so bored by a "comedy".

dean_martin
08-31-2007, 08:46 AM
"Black Snake Moan" - B-Minus - Gonna suprise a lot of folks here but I liked this movie. I visited the rural south every summer and I know people like Samuel L. Jackson, hell they were relatives of mine. Story was fair, acting was passable, but the ambiance was dead on. Seeing Christina Ricci's breasts every other minute didn't hurt either.

Da Worfster

I liked it too. Yep, I live in the rural south. Unfortunately, I know skanks like the Christina Ricci character (maybe not to that extreme with the urges, but pretty darn close after a little Boons Farm at the creek) and learned too late in life to stay away from'em.

topspeed
09-04-2007, 02:39 PM
...learned too late in life to stay away from'em.
Ummm...what does that mean? Did you marry her or what? :)

As for the movies, thanks for the heads up, Worfster. I've been wanting to see Black Snake Moan and Iwo. I haven't even heard of Hot Fuzz, so I guess I need to check that out. Unfortunately, I was suckered into renting Norbitt many moons ago. As they say, "There's two hours of my life I'll never get back." Ugh. You are definitely being generous with the C rating.

I'm a bit behind the curve in rentals. Here are a few:

* 300; Good but a far cry from Sin City, two movies from the same mold. Graphic, adrenalin driven action sequences but a bit thin on plot and character development. I didn't realize Spartan's battled in six packs and shoulder pads. Silly me thinking they'd have some sort of armor on :p. Good popcorn mucher.

* Breach; Excellent espionage thriller. Chris Cooper totally outclasses Ryan Phillipe, but then he usually does that to all of his co-stars. Very good pacing and suspense. Best of all, it's based on a true story so there were very few over-the-top liberties taken. Good show.

* The Number 23; The title has it partly right, you're numb after the first half hour. This is a torturously long flick that has you begging for something...anything....to happen. Stick to comedies Jim.

dean_martin
09-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Ummm...what does that mean? Did you marry her or what? :)

I haven't even heard of Hot Fuzz, so I guess I need to check that out.

I've said too much already. Even though I opened the door for that question, I ain't talkin'. Jus' read anything by Erskine Caldwell - Tobacco Road, God's Little Acre, etc. - before heading to the deep south. Things haven't changed much since The Depression except for the advent of crystal meth.

I haven't seen Hot Fuzz either, but I intend to rent it. It's from the creators of Shaun of the Dead. The same two lead guys from Shaun are in it.

Thanks for the heads-up on Breach.

Worf101
09-06-2007, 03:50 AM
I liked it too. Yep, I live in the rural south. Unfortunately, I know skanks like the Christina Ricci character (maybe not to that extreme with the urges, but pretty darn close after a little Boons Farm at the creek) and learned too late in life to stay away from'em.
"Boones Farm Strawberry Hill", the wine of choice for my classmates and school chums. We left "Wild Irish Rose" for the real "winos". Next was "Tango". "Mad Dog 20/20" appeared AFTER my formative years. Ah the joys of "fortified wine".

Da Worfster