Vardo
08-30-2007, 07:30 PM
On another forum (avs) I recommended a Parts Express Dayton
15" Titanic MKIII. I have 2 of the Dayton 10" Titanic MKIII and
they are terrifc subs. Thus my recommendation for the 15". The
guy only has a 14' X 14' room, and claimes that his output is very
low, which I find hard to believe Maybe GMichael, Kex or someone
could shead a little light on this. His private pm to me:

"The 1000 had a 10" sub and a radiator. I agree that this thing should be shaking the entire 14x14 room but it isn't. Even when I turn the gain all the way up it doesn't pound and when I go up high on the gain the sub kind of rattles getting sloppy. Do you have a link or something to where those Dayton owners are talking about them? The kit and all was just excellent but the output is just nothing"

His previous sub was a DefTech pro 1000, and he claims that that sub
had more output than the Dayton 15".....any opinions would be
appreciated. I've told him that the amp, or dirver might be bad.....
or one of the wires from the amp to the driver might be loose
when he assembled it. I don't even remember suggesting the sub,
It's a little bit much for such a small listening area.
I've told him to contact Parts Express.......but he is a newbe, and
very impatient.

Any suggestions would be great......vardo

Intercooler
08-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the help! The settings on the Onkyo were reset but now it is corrected. Now I am a noob here too :crazy:

kexodusc
08-31-2007, 02:45 AM
On another forum (avs) I recommended a Parts Express Dayton
15" Titanic MKIII. I have 2 of the Dayton 10" Titanic MKIII and
they are terrifc subs. Thus my recommendation for the 15". The
guy only has a 14' X 14' room, and claimes that his output is very
low, which I find hard to believe Maybe GMichael, Kex or someone
could shead a little light on this. His private pm to me:

"The 1000 had a 10" sub and a radiator. I agree that this thing should be shaking the entire 14x14 room but it isn't. Even when I turn the gain all the way up it doesn't pound and when I go up high on the gain the sub kind of rattles getting sloppy. Do you have a link or something to where those Dayton owners are talking about them? The kit and all was just excellent but the output is just nothing"

His previous sub was a DefTech pro 1000, and he claims that that sub
had more output than the Dayton 15".....any opinions would be
appreciated. I've told him that the amp, or dirver might be bad.....
or one of the wires from the amp to the driver might be loose
when he assembled it. I don't even remember suggesting the sub,
It's a little bit much for such a small listening area.
I've told him to contact Parts Express.......but he is a newbe, and
very impatient.

Any suggestions would be great......vardo

Hmm, I really don't know what it could be - I've built a few 15's and 12's for others. They shook the house right away.
Make sure theres no damping material behind the woofer (3" clearance minimum), make sure the woofer leads are connected properly, and the gain/frequency are good. That's all you can do really...if not, get on the phone with Parts Express, they're good to deal with.

The 15" Titanic is overkill for a 14' X 14'. Smoking 110 dB is a piece of cake for that thing - something's obviously not right. PE are very good to deal with and should help him resolve this.

Intercooler
08-31-2007, 04:18 AM
Was all due to settings. While I have a couple of people here that have them what do you have your EQ, gain, etc... set on the back of the sub amp and your receiver? Any pointers on what worked best? I am a bass head (car audio subs ruined me) so it may be overkill but I also have some open areas off the main room. I like it! Just need to get it tuned in to see what it can really do.

kexodusc
08-31-2007, 04:45 AM
Was all due to settings. While I have a couple of people here that have them what do you have your EQ, gain, etc... set on the back of the sub amp and your receiver? Any pointers on what worked best? I am a bass head (car audio subs ruined me) so it may be overkill but I also have some open areas off the main room. I like it! Just need to get it tuned in to see what it can really do.

Oh it was your Titanic? So things are good now?
I gave mine to my parents...I had the frequency cut-off set at the highest setting, the gain at maybe a bit over half? The EQ i dialed into around 55 Hz and cut a rather troublesome peak.

Intercooler
08-31-2007, 05:18 AM
Oh it was your Titanic? So things are good now?
I gave mine to my parents...I had the frequency cut-off set at the highest setting, the gain at maybe a bit over half? The EQ i dialed into around 55 Hz and cut a rather troublesome peak.That's me. All good except the tuning. How well did your pound and did you like/dislike anything in particular? Maybe some music types or something that didn't play well?

kexodusc
08-31-2007, 05:24 AM
That's me. All good except the tuning. How well did your pound and did you like/dislike anything in particular? Maybe some music types or something that didn't play well?
Nah, if used well it sounds pretty damn good. I had a $1000 Paradigm sub that the 12" Titanic was much, much better than. It's not the most refined musically, far above what I've come to expect for under $1000.
Of course, as with any sub, positioning and proper setup is critical to results. Where it's sealed, it might be different than what you're used to.

It shook the house no problem.

SlumpBuster
08-31-2007, 05:45 AM
Yeah, not to doubt your experience Intercooler, but Kex brings up a good point. The Titanic is sealed and is going to produce a different (read: more accurate) sound than you may be used to. Car audio subs, IMO, are not really accurate bass machines, but tend to give alot of slam in the 50-60 hz region. IME when a kid with a honda filled with twin twelves says "Man that is slammin' bass!" he is really hearing a 50hz peak. True sub-bass doesn't even begin until 50hz and the Titanic will dig all the way to 20hz at 110db in my room.

When I went looking for a new sub a couple months ago I had $2500 in pocket and still picked the Titanic at $550. It was the only sealed 15 I could find. All my previous car subs had been sealed and I wanted the same for home. Porting has its place, but it isn't as necessary as it once was now that watts are so cheap and class D is so cool running and lightweight. Sealed was the clincher for me. Anything ported just sounded sloppy in comparison. Paradigm 12" Seismic and Velodyne 15" SPL were comparable and almost purchased, but it was no contest after price was figured in.

L.J.
08-31-2007, 06:12 AM
My settings are similar to Kex's. I had a HUGE peak at about 50hz and once I got that cut I was in sub heaven.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=185975&postcount=55

GMichael
08-31-2007, 06:20 AM
I had a peak at just under 60 htz. A little tweeking made the sub all nice. Now instead of just being good, it's fantastic. You're gonna love how this sub makes you feel.

Intercooler
08-31-2007, 07:43 AM
That's why I liked it too was the sealed part. That is also all I have ever had in my cars. I now have an Image Dynamics ID-Max 12" in a 2.0 cu.ft. box sealed and love it. I was hesitant about ordering it with the Titanic sub it comes with because I thought better 15" offerings were out there. For the price though I figured I can change that later if I don't like this sub. So far it is good! Has anyone changed to a different sub like say a SS RL-P or Fi-Q?

Vardo
08-31-2007, 01:01 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys..it's appreciated.

I post frequently post over at the AVS forum. I hype the Parts Express
Dayton subs alot. I do this because I have two 10" ers, and
they are a superb product for the money. On the AVS sub forum,
recommendations for subs are the usual SVS, HSU, and now
Elemental Designs (eD). This happens over and over again.

I'm trying to get people to at least consider another option with
Parts Express subs...they're an excellent deal for the money.

I don't post here often....don't know why. It's a good forum, with
many kowledgeable members such as Kex, Gmichael, Basite,
Topspeed, Nighflier, and about 20 others.

I remember when the forums here at audioreview were flooded with
posters, but now all that has changed. I think maybe people here
(regulars) got a wee bit tired of answering the same old questions,
such as what speakers should I buy, or receiver, etc.

As for myself I usually don't start a post unless I have a question that
really needs answering, such as this one I started here...... I don't suggest equipment
that I don't own, or never have had. Been in this hobbly for 35 yrs,
tend to hang onto my equipment alot longer than most.

There's a post (as you probably know), about why the forum(s)
at Audio Review are not getting alot of action...that things are slow.
I remember years back when this was the number one forum for
posting all things audio.

It was alot of fun back then. There were alot of trolls, trash talking
going on, etc. You didn't even have to be a member, you could
just post anything you felt like. Suddenly whoever ran this forum
cracked down on everything (which was justified), but I think it went to far. I thought, well, you go from one extreme to another.....
alot of people are not gonna post here anymore....and now this is the
result.

I like this forum, and will try to post more often, maybe even suggest
things (like Paradigm speakers, which I've heard many times and
think they sound great) that I've not owned but have seen/heard in
at different audio show rooms, etc.

Once again, thanks for the many replies to this post....vardo