Audio Rookie: Cheap Receivers ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Audio Rookie: Cheap Receivers ?

petomazar
08-30-2007, 04:13 PM
Hi,

Just got a pair of Cerwin Vega VS100 speakers for FREE ! One of my rich friends was too lazy to take them along with him when he moved.

So now I have these cool looking speakers on my apartment floor. Never had a decent audio system before. Wondering what next ? I posses a decent sized TV, a DVD/ CD player and VCR.

Can anyone give me some advice on what receiver is the best choice for a complete rookie ? Ready to spend maybe 2 or 3 hundred bucks only(remember got the speakers for free).

thanks,
CP

anamorphic96
08-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Harman Kardon HK3480 from JR.com for 250.00 is your best bet at that price. It puts out clean power and sounds real nice for the price.

PDN
08-30-2007, 08:05 PM
Yamaha, Denon, & Onkyo probably have lower wattage receivers in that price range in the mass market stores. You may also want to consider buying a preowned one. Try www.audiogon.com. I've purchased and sold items on this and it works very well.

PeruvianSkies
08-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Call up rich friend who just moved and tell him thanks for the speakers, but now you need a power amp to drive them and then have him forward you 1K in the mail.

Are you planning on just running 2 channels?

pixelthis
08-30-2007, 11:40 PM
Hi,

Just got a pair of Cerwin Vega VS100 speakers for FREE ! One of my rich friends was too lazy to take them along with him when he moved.

So now I have these cool looking speakers on my apartment floor. Never had a decent audio system before. Wondering what next ? I posses a decent sized TV, a DVD/ CD player and VCR.

Can anyone give me some advice on what receiver is the best choice for a complete rookie ? Ready to spend maybe 2 or 3 hundred bucks only(remember got the speakers for free).

thanks,
CP

Sherwood sells one for 129 bucks, you probably wont notice the .9% distortion
with those cerwins
The Cerwins arent "high line" but a place to start anyway.
Sherwood is known for their cheap but good sounding receivers

hydroman
08-31-2007, 09:49 AM
x2 for the harmon kardon. You have 'efficient' speakers that don't need alot of power to sound loud - but you want enough grunt to rock 'em.

petomazar
08-31-2007, 10:03 AM
hi all,

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Will check them all out over the weekend.

bye,
CP

hifitommy
09-01-2007, 10:29 AM
and they are great performers.

i recommend selling the CVs asap to someone that might appreciate them, you will get better performance from many other speakers such as psb alphas or paradigm atoms. coupled with a HSU research $300 sub and you have a KILLER system. an oppo dvd/cd/sacd/dvda player will round out the equip and you will be NICELY set up!

see the latest absolute sound and stereophile reviews on those speakers. the sub is vg, my friend owns the $300 unit and i have the vtf2. both of us are quite happy with them.

Mr Peabody
09-01-2007, 05:49 PM
The HK is definitely a good suggestion. You might also take a look at the Panasonic to see if any are in your range. It seems they've gotten good reviews.

hifitommy
09-01-2007, 05:55 PM
is weight. the HKs weigh in at more than most receivers, meaning that they have more materials such as transformers in them.

Mr Peabody
09-01-2007, 06:08 PM
Weight only matters when weighing apples and apples. The Panasonic may be one of the lightest receivers on the market but it has a digital switching amp section that runs very cool and does not need a huge transformer. My Linn is 5x125 watts and only weighs 11 lbs. It does deliver, at least, 125 clean wpc.

hifitommy
09-01-2007, 07:41 PM
perhaps class d can change all this but for the most part, weight is a good spec.

hydroman
09-04-2007, 08:30 AM
^uhm, yeah. It is a good parametric in my experience. Heavier=louder. It just 'does'. MY H/K weighs twice what the Denon (both rated at 100wpc) did and the H/K is noticably louder. Much.

BTW: i sold the Denon carcass on EBay for $25.

Smitty 50
09-12-2007, 11:45 PM
i would get the onkyo 505 its 7s watts a channel dts hd and dolby true compliant and hdmi 1.3a complient so its future proof easy to use and only 300 bucks

Smitty 50
09-12-2007, 11:45 PM
75 watts