Setting phase for sub? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Setting phase for sub?

MCF
08-30-2007, 09:18 AM
What is the best way to do it? I have an SVS PB12+ (I think that is the model) - 2 downfiring 12's with equalizer, gain adjust and phase adjust. The enclosure is about 2 feet behind couch and off to the left about 3' (from edge of couch). If I sit in middle of couch (ideal viewing location) I get a good amount of bass, but if I move to the far right of the couch, the bass is abuot 2-3 times more...now I understand why my wife is always saying we have too much bass...she is getting the blunt of it and I am getting the 'leftovers'...hehehe...right now I have it at about 100 deg...that is if straight up is 90 deg (which I believe it is).

hydroman
08-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Not a phase problem (peaks at certain frequencies - because it combines woth front speakers) but this is a placement problem. If you still want to change the phase - reverse the pos/neg on the front speakers.

For placement - keep moving it until she is satisfied.... Others know WAY more about placement than i do. I defer [bows down].

westcott
09-03-2007, 07:37 AM
What is the best way to do it? I have an SVS PB12+ (I think that is the model) - 2 downfiring 12's with equalizer, gain adjust and phase adjust. The enclosure is about 2 feet behind couch and off to the left about 3' (from edge of couch). If I sit in middle of couch (ideal viewing location) I get a good amount of bass, but if I move to the far right of the couch, the bass is abuot 2-3 times more...now I understand why my wife is always saying we have too much bass...she is getting the blunt of it and I am getting the 'leftovers'...hehehe...right now I have it at about 100 deg...that is if straight up is 90 deg (which I believe it is).

A photo of the room would be helpful, along with seating distance and room dimensions. Bass crawling would be the best approach but confirmation with an SPL meter and a test CD\DVD would also be advised for flattest frequency response across the seating area.