Guess What I Am Getting????? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Guess What I Am Getting?????

PeruvianSkies
08-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Friday I am getting a new computer....

Apple Pro Mac Dual 3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processor
4GB RAM 750GB HardDrive
4X NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
Dual 23in HD Apple CinemaDisplay
Two 16x Superdrives
Bluetooth enabled

Total Cost: $7619.00

It's for work, so it won't be coming out of my wallet....mostly used for graphic design and video editing.

http://theappleblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/green_apple_logo.jpg

basite
08-30-2007, 02:32 AM
Total Cost: $7619.00

For a PC??? :yikes:

PeruvianSkies
08-30-2007, 12:57 PM
For a PC??? :yikes:

No...it's a Mac, not a PC...there's a difference and here you get what you pay for, unlike PC.

nightflier
08-30-2007, 01:47 PM
Well, for over $7619 you could buy yourself an incredible PC (do they even come that expensive?).

Heck, for $6K you could buy the best there is and use the other $1700 for a pair of Magnepan 1.6QRs.

And if it's Windows that you don't like, you can run Ubuntu Linux on it and it will easily outperform that Mac.

PeruvianSkies
08-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Well, for over $7619 you could buy yourself an incredible PC (do they even come that expensive?).

Heck, for $6K you could buy the best there is and use the other $1700 for a pair of Magnepan 1.6QRs.

And if it's Windows that you don't like, you can run Ubuntu Linux on it and it will easily outperform that Mac.

I'll never buy a PC again.

Rich-n-Texas
08-30-2007, 02:53 PM
I'll never buy a PC again.
Gee, that gives me a real warm and fuzzy about the desktop I just put together. :frown5: I'm in the do-it-yourself mode these days, and you can't put your own Mac together.

I think he said it's for work and used for graphic design, so I don't have much trouble believing it's pricetag. The quad-core Xeon would certainly bring that price into reality and I'm sure it's loaded with some potent and proprietary s/w.

PeruvianSkies
08-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Gee, that gives me a real warm and fuzzy about the desktop I just put together. :frown5: I'm in the do-it-yourself mode these days, and you can't put your own Mac together.

I think he said it's for work and used for graphic design, so I don't have much trouble believing it's pricetag. The quad-core Xeon would certainly bring that price into reality and I'm sure it's loaded with some potent and proprietary s/w.

Yeah, the dual 3Ghz is their fastest processor right now and the other expense was in the graphics card so I could run dual HD 23" Apple Cinema Displays, which are completely accurate when working with the Adobe color profiles and Final Cut Pro. It's for graphic design and video production and there is nothing out there better than this computer for those jobs. Period.

Rich-n-Texas
08-30-2007, 07:04 PM
Wait a second. What do you mean by 4x 7300's? That sounds like dual SLI configs to me. That would also mean 4 PCI x16 slots on the motherboard. That's some serious graphics processing! Frickin' Doom 3 & Bioshock would play themselves simultaneously if I had that setup in my rig!

Oh well, too bad you can't take it home huh? :biggrin5:

PeruvianSkies
08-30-2007, 07:36 PM
Wait a second. What do you mean by 4x 7300's? That sounds like dual SLI configs to me. That would also mean 4 PCI x16 slots on the motherboard. That's some serious graphics processing! Frickin' Doom 3 & Bioshock would play themselves simultaneously if I had that setup in my rig!

Oh well, too bad you can't take it home huh? :biggrin5:

I can take it home, actually I sorta have a home office thing going.

Yeah, the graphic cards are insane. Arrives tomorrow...I'll tell you how it is!

Here is a link on the display itself!

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=10F1701B&nclm=AppleDisplays

basite
08-31-2007, 01:43 AM
No...it's a Mac, not a PC...there's a difference and here you get what you pay for, unlike PC.

it was apple who gave it the name 'PC' though, personal computer, the first one was a mac...

btw, those 23" screens will be gigantic :)

Rich-n-Texas
08-31-2007, 04:05 AM
I can take it home, actually I sorta have a home office thing going.

Yeah, the graphic cards are insane. Arrives tomorrow...I'll tell you how it is!

Here is a link on the display itself!

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=10F1701B&nclm=AppleDisplays
I'm green with envy...

PeruvianSkies
08-31-2007, 03:29 PM
Ok, so IT arrived in all it's glory. Wow, what a beast. First, this is my ...3rd Apple computer...I've owned a 12" laptop, a 17" laptop, worked on a G3 before, and now this is my first real desktop. Apple really has the computer edge these days...this thing is contoured so beautifully it's insane. I spent the better half of the day loading software, which really went quick as I have 2 superdrives, so I could install from 2 CD's at once or 2 DVD's in some cases. Loaded Final Cut Pro 5, Creative Suite Bundle, and then worked on getting all my preferences, e-mail, and those goodies loaded as well, plus I had to get some other software installed and downloaded, then I went out and picked up a battery backup with surge protection. I was able to capture some video footage today as well, and once it was converted onto my computer (only taking up a small fraction of the huge hard drive (750GB) I used iMovie and made a quick movie. Took about 5 minutes. The processor on this thing is insane...it ate through the raw video footage like it was a cheeseburger. At one point I was downloading updates, rendering a movie file, watching something on YouTube, copying 5GB from my External Hardrive, and installing software from a CD-ROM, plus I had Word, Excel, Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut, and my e-mail program all open...oh yeah...iTunes was also open.

audio_dude
09-01-2007, 11:00 AM
hm...7300's though?? couldn't you get anything recent? or at least a 7900gtx?

ah well, its still gotta be f*ckin wicked fast.

I for one, am jealous.

(oh, and yes, you can get Boutique Windows box's that are even more expensive than this.)