Cartridge Type Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge Type Question

jayrayban
08-29-2007, 11:21 AM
I just picked up a Technics SLB-20. The level is very low on my current receiver; however, I understand that it is because the receiver does not have a built in preamp to bring the level up. I do have another receiver elsewhere that says I will need a phono pre-amp if the record player uses a moving coil cartridge. I cannot find anywhere what type of cartirdge the SLB-20 uses. The closest thing I found was that it uses a VM cartridge, and I do not know what VM stands for. Can someone please help me out? Thanks so much.

JohnMichael
08-29-2007, 12:14 PM
I just picked up a Technics SLB-20. The level is very low on my current receiver; however, I understand that it is because the receiver does not have a built in preamp to bring the level up. I do have another receiver elsewhere that says I will need a phono pre-amp if the record player uses a moving coil cartridge. I cannot find anywhere what type of cartirdge the SLB-20 uses. The closest thing I found was that it uses a VM cartridge, and I do not know what VM stands for. Can someone please help me out? Thanks so much.

You probably have a moving magnet phono cartridge which will work well with the other receiver. That turntable was supplied with a moving magnet cartridge. If your older receiver with the phono inputs has a preamp out you can use the phono stage only with your newer receiver. Plug the turntable into the phono inputs and then preamp out to one of the inputs in your new receiver.

royphil345
08-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Yes... The cartridge is very likely moving magnet. If it has a removable / user replacable stylus... It's moving magnet for sure.

It should work fine with your other receiver that has the phono input. You could plug your turntable into that and the TAPE outputs to your new receiver.... or purchase an outboard phono preamp. This one's a bargain. Anything in the $100.00 range won't sound much better if at all. http://www.phonopreamps.com/tc750pp.html

If you're unsure of the condition of your stylus... It's DEFINITELY better safe than sorry. A worn stylus isn't always obvious and will do permanent damage to your records. You may be able to find a replacement stylus for an older cartridge. Any more writing or numbers on it? A photo may help us figure out what you need.

If a replacement stylus can't be found... You could replace the cartridge with something like an AT95E http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=ATC95E A very nice cart for not too much $. Or a Shure M97xE or Audio Technica AT-440MLa if you want to spend a little more...

Garage A' Records has the AT95E for only $39.95 Their site is set up in a way I can't post a direct link though... http://www.garage-a-records.com/index.php Just look for the Audio Technica cartridges...

Luvin Da Blues
08-29-2007, 02:10 PM
I just picked up the Audio Technica AT-440MLa for $85 from LPGear.

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=ATC05&Category_Code=A3

Woochifer
08-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Even with a moving magnet cart, it's not at all unusual to have a 20+ db difference in the prevailing levels between your turntable and other components. This is because even with moving magnet carts, you got a lot of variation in the output level between different cartridges AND a lot of variation in the step-up provided between different receivers/preamps' phono inputs.

If you find that you need to crank up the volume up so far that it introduces unacceptable levels of noise into your playback, you might want to get a phono preamp anyway. The phono inputs on a lot of receivers don't sufficiently step up the turntable output and have marginal sound quality to begin with.

I would seriously doubt that your turntable was fitted with a moving coil cartridge since those are generally a lot more expensive; and you don't typically find them fitted onto entry and mid level turntables, since you have to swap out the entire cartridge body when the stylus wears out.

In addition to Shure and Audio Technica, you should also look into the Ortofon OM series and the Grado cartridges, if you decide not to simply replace the stylus on your existing cartridge. The Shures and Ortofons are known for their tracking ability, so that might be a consideration if you buy a lot of used LPs. FYI, the Ortofon OM cartridges are on sale right now -- the OM10 is going for $70 at the Needle Doctor.

If output level is a concern, the Grado Prestige series cartridges have an output of 5.0 mV, while the Shure, Audio Technica, and Ortofon cartridges have an output of 4.0 mV. The only drawback with the Grados is that they are purportedly susceptible to humming with certain turntables that have unshielded belt drive motors (the Duals and ARs are particularly susceptible). That's generally not an issue with Technics decks.