A/V Receiver vs Amp/Pre Amp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A/V Receiver vs Amp/Pre Amp

thetriplethreat5
08-29-2007, 10:12 AM
hey, I recently posted asking about A/V receivers and Amps and got some good responses. The question I have here is...what would be better to use if these were available: HD TV, a PS3 so Blu Ray and HDMI enabled.

For arguments sake say I have two main speakers or we just don't need to look into that. If I'm looking to add good sound primarily to a hd movie and gaming experience what would be better for me to use...an a/v receiver, or an amp/pre amp/integrated even? I know that a receiver will add decoding and processing for surround sound but if I wasn't looking for surrounded sound at this point, just 2 high quality mains?...do you need a receiver if you want surround sound?

Would having the PS3 hooked up to the receiver and tv with all hdmi produce a better picture and sound than have the PS3 hooked up hdmi straight to the tv and then the amp/pre amp installed with it? I was in an electronics store today and I saw a blu ray player, hdmi to hd tv, and then all that was hooked up to a pre amp and power amp and that's what got me thinking about how much better would it be if I'd connect it all through a receiver. Sorry theres many questions, I hope that makes sense...thanks a lot.

Wireworm5
08-29-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm not aware of any adapters yet other than av/receivers that allow you to connect more than one HDMI device. I will have to get a new av/receiver myself as I already have two HDMI units and may buy a blu-ray, and I can only connect one.
As for using a stereo receiver for surround sound. You maybe able to simulate surround sound by using a computer soundcard. But since most movies have stereo tracks it's not a big deal except for newer movies with lots of graphic sounds. I listen to lots of older movies in MC stereo.

GMichael
08-29-2007, 10:56 AM
You can get pre-pros that do HT surround as well as 2 channel music. In most cases, they will do a better job than an AV receiver. But they do cost more. Not all of the cheaper pre-pros have all the latest connectors that you can get with a mid priced receiver. It's up to your budget to decide.

musicman1999
08-29-2007, 05:38 PM
It would depend on if you want surround sound later or not.If not,no need for a reciever,integrated is the way to go or a preamp and amp.If you want surround later then you would need a reciever or a pre/pro and amp.For surround a pre/pro and amp is better for sure but would cost much more than typical reciever.You need an idea on what your budget will be.A really good pre/pro and amp combo would start at 6k to 8k and go up to whatever.

bill

pixelthis
08-29-2007, 11:32 PM
I'm not aware of any adapters yet other than av/receivers that allow you to connect more than one HDMI device. I will have to get a new av/receiver myself as I already have two HDMI units and may buy a blu-ray, and I can only connect one.
As for using a stereo receiver for surround sound. You maybe able to simulate surround sound by using a computer soundcard. But since most movies have stereo tracks it's not a big deal except for newer movies with lots of graphic sounds. I listen to lots of older movies in MC stereo.
I have a two into one switcher that I got from monoprice for 25 bucks or so, works like a charm.
CIRCUIT City had a hdmi switcher with remote and several inputs for about 200 bucks, but it was quality:1:

musicman1999
08-30-2007, 07:02 AM
Don't you think running hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of gear through a $25.00 switcher would have an adverse effect on the sound.

bill

PeruvianSkies
08-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Don't you think running hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of gear through a $25.00 switcher would have an adverse effect on the sound.

bill

Well, the key word there is "THINK" and so I rest my case. Also, you have to remember we are talking about imaginary equipment.

pixelthis
08-30-2007, 10:54 PM

bill
It might except that what I am running through it is a samsung universal dvd
and a motorolla cable box, the audio is going out through coax and 5.1 out
(for dvd audio and SACD)
Since peruvian schizo and I have the same dvd player I am of course changing it out, must be something wrong with it.
And peruvian, just because your girlfriends are imaginary doesnt mean my equipment is.
If I was bragging about "imaginary" gear I would have picked a lot cooler stuff.
My newest componet is two years old
BTW I A-B-ed the switcher forever, noticed no picture loss.
This companies switchgear is highly regarded

musicman1999
08-31-2007, 04:40 AM
What i said should go for video as well.

bill