Jazz: Ode to the Cover [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Jazz: Ode to the Cover

noddin0ff
08-29-2007, 05:07 AM
I had this comp in my mind for a while. Jazz ‘standards’ used to use the pop songs of my parents youth for material. Now they’re starting to use the material of my youth. I find that interesting. I’ve found a few jazz covers of rock songs in my collection. I’m not sure I’ve completely risen to the challenge. I think the tracks work for a pleasant listen. Some add something to the original, some don’t. Interesting that these are either female vocalist or just instrumental.

01 Miss You (The Rolling Stones)- Jacqui Naylor: Shelter
02 Ode To Billie Joe (Bobby Gentry)- Carla Cook: Dem Bones
03 Legalize It (Peter Tosh) - Medeski, Scofield, Martin & Wood: Out Louder
04 The Crunge (Led Zeppelin) - Joshua Redman Elastic Band: Momentum
05 Time After Time (Cyndi Lauper) - Cassandra Wilson: Traveling Miles
06 Hey Jude (The Beatles) - The Overton Berry Trio: Wheedle's Groove: Seattle's Finest In Funk and Soul, 1965-75
07 Blackbird (The Beatles) - René Marie: Vertigo
08 Ain't No Sunshine (Bill Withers) - Jacqui Naylor: Live At The Plush Room
09 Once In A Lifetime (Talking Heads) - Jacqui Naylor: Live East/West
10 For What It's Worth (Buffalo Springfield) - Jacqui Naylor: Live East/West
11 I Heard It Through the Grapevine (various) - Bill Frisell: East/West
12 Everyday People (Sly & the Family Stone) - Medeski, Martin & Wood: Combustication

All tracks are lossless. They are in Apple’s lossless. You can use iTunes to convert to WAV if you feel the need to turn them into something else.

I zipped them into 4 files, each under 100MB. Each segment is numbered, 01-04. Total size is ~310MB. You will need ALL SEGMENTS in order to extract.

Total time is 58min. I decided to use mediafire again.

Covers01.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/?4bmzmte3xb4
Covers02.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/?dhyldgwomlw
Covers03.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/?2dxqydhjp5g
Covers04.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/?dvlntwqocwh

Some comments…
The list has a lot of Jacqui Naylor. Jacqui grows on you, I didn't find her immediately likeable, depends on the song; I do like the Pianist/Composer/Arranger Art Khu who I know. They do a lot of covers, I have a lot of ‘em. Ergo, I have several on this list.
Miss You - has some of the smolder that Mick coulda used if he was a she.
Ode to Billie Joe – I always liked this song and like it in this cover
Legalize it – not a reggae fan, but a pleasant sound.
The Crunge – I can’t not include a Led Zep cover if I have one.
Time after Time – Lot’s of covers of this classic. I like Miles’ and I like this one
Hey Jude – Not really jazz. I don't know where the line is between funk/soul and jazz , frankly, but I dig this cover more than the original
Blackbird – This takes a familiar tune and takes it elsewhere. With some drumming and some sparseness it makes a haunting commentary on freedom- and the longing to be free. It’s hard not to hear the legacy of slavery here.
Ain’t no sunshine – Like Ode to Billie Joe, I like the original
Once in a Lifetime – different, I like Art Khu on piano.
For what’s it’s worth – did you think you’d ever hear a cover of this…in jazz?
I Heard it Through & Everyday – so slow you almost don’t follow the melody…

noddin0ff
08-29-2007, 08:30 AM
I notice that there have been several downloads of segment 01, but only one download for all of the rest. I just want to make sure everyone knows that you won't be able to unzip anything unless you have all 4 files. Typically, after you get them all, you click on the 4th file to start the process.

I used a clunky zip program. Hopefully, extraction is not so clunky for you.

Rock&Roll Ninja
08-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Damn my Mac only having one mouse button!

PS: I'd have included Tim Ries & Norah Jones Wild Horses(Rolling Stones) and The C-Nuts The Sultans Of Swing (Dire Straits)

noddin0ff
08-29-2007, 10:24 AM
I should add that mediafire, to the best of my knowledge, will support multiple simultaneous downloads.

Rock&Roll Ninja-
Heh. Have you discovered apple-click (aka command-click) ? It functions the same as right-click.

Not as good. But a work around. The new smart mouse has a well disguised right-click if you click way over on the right side...

Slosh
08-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Weird man, but weird is good. I'll give it a shot . . .

NP:

Slosh
08-29-2007, 04:42 PM
I used a clunky zip program. Hopefully, extraction is not so clunky for you.I downloaded all four (at once) but couldn't extract them. #1-3 wouldn't open at all. I could see the files in #4 but couldn't do anything with them. I tried to extract with the built-in XP zip utility, WinZip, and 7zip. And just to make sure there wasn't something wrong on my end I downloaded my own zipped comp and it extracted just fine. I'm at a loss.

Hmmm, never had this problem before. Oh well, such is life.

NP: Kid Dakota - So Pretty

noddin0ff
08-30-2007, 04:20 AM
I downloaded all four (at once) but couldn't extract them. #1-3 wouldn't open at all. I could see the files in #4 but couldn't do anything with them. I tried to extract with the built-in XP zip utility, WinZip, and 7zip. And just to make sure there wasn't something wrong on my end I downloaded my own zipped comp and it extracted just fine. I'm at a loss.

Hmmm, never had this problem before. Oh well, such is life.

hmmm. When I unzipped the files. I just clicked 04. It began the unzip and then asked me to locate the other files manually during the process. I apologize if everyone has this problem. I would've guessed success with WinZip.

I'll upload a back up plan.

noddin0ff
08-30-2007, 05:24 AM
Here's the path to an alternate set of files if anyone else has problems (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=24002) (<< click it)