How good are Definitive GEM Speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How good are Definitive GEM Speakers?

Hank
08-28-2007, 01:21 PM
How good aare the Definitive Mythos GEM XL's? Has anyone compared them to the B&W M1's?

Hank

PeruvianSkies
08-28-2007, 01:30 PM
I am not really a Definitive fan personally...they are decent to my ears, but not worth their price tag or I should say...you could probably find something better for the same price.

How do they sound in comparison to B&W...well, I am not a huge advocate of B&W either, but the Definitive speakers are a bit more aggressive in my opinion and have less character and dynamics than the B&W's.

PeruvianSkies
08-28-2007, 01:34 PM
I finally got the low-down on why a local dealer decided to phase out PSB speakers awhile back and start carrying stuff like Definitive more....it all has to do with the size. They were having a hard time selling the PSB's because of their size and the slimmer look of the Definitive speakers seemed to be more popular for guys who have to worry about the WAF factor.

Which is really a shame.

Hank
08-28-2007, 05:08 PM
Thanks for you point of view. I am one of those that doesn't have a lot of room for floor standing speakers, I need wallor ceiling mount. That puts a premium on size for me. I currently have Sony's ceiling mounted (6:1 with matchig sub). I am looking to improve with my next move up in home theater upgrade equipment which I'm working on now. Do you have a suggestions for wall or ceiling mount. Something around the size of the of the Definitive Mythos GEM XLs?

PeruvianSkies
08-28-2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks for you point of view. I am one of those that doesn't have a lot of room for floor standing speakers, I need wallor ceiling mount. That puts a premium on size for me. I currently have Sony's ceiling mounted (6:1 with matchig sub). I am looking to improve with my next move up in home theater upgrade equipment which I'm working on now. Do you have a suggestions for wall or ceiling mount. Something around the size of the of the Definitive Mythos GEM XLs?

Well, if you are asking my opinion, I would steer away from Definitve. Instead you might want to look at monitor-sized speakers that you can put on stands. I am not a fan of wall mounts either, so see what space you have first and then proceed. In wall, on wall....you are locked into something with that, it's better to have something on the floor that you can work with and you can work into the room better. Totem Acoustics make some really terrific speakers that you might want to check into.