Circuit City To Sell Lp's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Circuit City To Sell Lp's

BRANDONH
08-28-2007, 11:48 AM
SOURCE (http://stereomojo.com/index.html)

Stereomojo Exclusive News!

We have it on solid authority that CIRCUIT CITY will begin stocking LPs in their stores nationwide. LPs have been available on their website for some time, but this development has huge implications in the audiophile world. Vinyl is exploding worldwide. Virtually every LP vendor (Music Direct, Classic Records, etc) reports higher sales than ever. Almost every major music company either is now producing LPs of their newest releases or has plans to do so. Stay tuned!

PeruvianSkies
08-28-2007, 11:55 AM

We have it on solid authority that CIRCUIT CITY will begin stocking LPs in their stores nationwide. LPs have been available on their website for some time, but this development has huge implications in the audiophile world. Vinyl is exploding worldwide. Virtually every LP vendor (Music Direct, Classic Records, etc) reports higher sales than ever. Almost every major music company either is now producing LPs of their newest releases or has plans to do so. Stay tuned!

Welcome to 1977! That's far out man.

GMichael
08-28-2007, 12:01 PM
LP returns!

I still have my old turn table. I've got a lot of dusting to do.

PeruvianSkies
08-28-2007, 12:14 PM
As it turns out Ford and Chevy are going to start putting covered wagons into production too!

Rich-n-Texas
08-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Now that's motivation for me to fix a broken speaker in my 2-channel retro setup. :thumbsup:

GMichael
08-28-2007, 12:53 PM
I bet the guys in the Analog Room wouldn't act like this.

PeruvianSkies
08-28-2007, 12:57 PM
I bet the guys in the Analog Room wouldn't act like this.

I am actually considering getting into analogue, esp. since I have quite a few records already. However, that is not why I am making silly comments, it's because it just seems so odd that CC would do this after so much time has passed. It certainly shows the vitality though of Vinyl and it will be interesting to see where it goes....all I iknow is ...sign me up for the TT that can go in my car system.

GMichael
08-28-2007, 01:11 PM
I am actually considering getting into analogue, esp. since I have quite a few records already. However, that is not why I am making silly comments, it's because it just seems so odd that CC would do this after so much time has passed. It certainly shows the vitality though of Vinyl and it will be interesting to see where it goes....all I iknow is ...sign me up for the TT that can go in my car system.

Somebody posted one of those awhile back. It had carts above and below so that you could play both sides without flipping the record. But then CD's came out and it died.

Luvin Da Blues
08-28-2007, 01:26 PM
I am actually considering getting into analogue, esp. since I have quite a few records already.

Since you already have the vinyl and if you have the means, my recommendation is to do it. I got back into vinyl a while back and haven't listened to anything but analogue since. Digital just doesn't have the ambiance and spatiality that is reproduced from my LPs.

PeruvianSkies
08-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Since you already have the vinyl and if you have the means, my recommendation is to do it. I got back into vinyl a while back and haven't listened to anything but analogue since. Digital just doesn't have the ambiance and spatiality that is reproduced from my LPs.

I will, just a matter of when. I want to dive in with full force, not just getting something that will work, but rather something really awesome and something that can be modified to be an elite TT.

Luvin Da Blues
08-28-2007, 01:37 PM
I will, just a matter of when. I want to dive in with full force, not just getting something that will work, but rather something really awesome and something that can be modified to be an elite TT.

How the hell ya rackin your post count up so fast!!! GO PS GO :cornut:
I guess all those years of playin your axe has paid off on the wear and tear of your finger tips during this sprint.

Anywho, I would rather be driving a Honda while I save up for Mazerati than not driving at all.

SlumpBuster
08-28-2007, 02:50 PM
all I iknow is ...sign me up for the TT that can go in my car system.

Do you mean this one?: http://ookworld.com/hiwayhifi.html

Woochifer
08-28-2007, 03:16 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. And I'd be curious as to whether Circuit City intends to add any turntables and analog accessories to their product selection. Aside from the occasional low end DJ deck, I haven't seen a turntable inside a Circuit City store since probably when Bush 41 was still in office.

While I would consider this welcome news (since Classic Records' LPs are not easy to find, even in those independent stores that make an effort to stock vinyl), I don't see it as any sign of a vinyl rennaissance. Virtually all of the new LPs out there nowadays are more expensive than the CD versions, and in many cases pushing past the $30 price point. If anything, vinyl has completed its transition into an expensive niche product. That's why it surprises me that a mass market player like Circuit City would embrace vinyl, since their support for vinyl was lousy even when the LP was still a viable mass market format and they've never been known for supporting niche formats.

But, there very well might be a market opportunity here, since not a whole lot of national chains stock new LPs. (Tower Records' demise has left a huge hole in the music retailing market)

nightflier
08-28-2007, 03:38 PM
Is this before or after they fire the remaining knowledgeable sales reps? I wonder if their pimple-faced lowest-wage teenagers will know how to even use an LP. That is, before CC is completely bankrupt.

Sorry for the doom & gloom post, but my local CC has had a single record player on sale for as long as I can remember (a cheap Sony, I think), and it has more dust on it than their computer software. CC is really barking up the wrong tree with this. Granted, I applaud any decision that has the potential of growing the LP market, but I just don't see the low-end as being the right fit. I'm with Wooch on this one (hey, I think that's the first time we are in agreement on something from our first posts, LOL).

Feanor
08-28-2007, 05:35 PM

Vinyl? To all audiophiles I say, GET OVER IT.:incazzato:

If 'philes had given support to SACD that they have continued to lavish on LPs, we'd have equal or better sound and multi-channel to boot. But no, no ... common sense didn't prevail. So what's new, eh?

jrhymeammo
08-28-2007, 07:22 PM
I dont wanna get into this with your Feanor, but do you think you've truly explored the world of Analog?

Com'on dude. Don't tell me your old Sansui or whatever had the ultimate phono stage 25 years ago...

I say bring it on. They'll be seeing me there,a s long as they go good a collection.

btw, I'm no audiophile, so I guess that was never directed to me.
JRA

Rock&Roll Ninja
08-29-2007, 04:16 AM
I'd be more enthused if I didn't know the awful mastering & engineering practices that ruined CD were not already being applied to new vinyl on most releases. On top of that 9/10ths are DDD recordings, whats the point? Show me a modern rock band that records AAA and I'll be 1st in line to buy their wax. But I must admit LPs do have the best artwork.

Classical music, which has had 2 good decades of NOT F'ing things up on CD sounds so-much better than any classical vinyl could ever hope to be, I'm never going back! You can have your TT hiss, poorer channel seperation and less dynamic range. Penderecki demands digital!

BRANDONH
08-29-2007, 05:30 AM
For those of you who wish to discuss vinyl and its applied technology please drop by here and sign up. Vinyl Fanatics (http://vinylfanatics.com/)

PeruvianSkies
08-29-2007, 11:09 AM

Yep. On the roads of Pennsylvania that sucker would have more scratchin' action than at a Beastie Boys show.

GMichael
08-29-2007, 11:25 AM

That's the one!

GMichael
08-29-2007, 11:26 AM
Vinyl? To all audiophiles I say, GET OVER IT.:incazzato:

If 'philes had given support to SACD that they have continued to lavish on LPs, we'd have equal or better sound and multi-channel to boot. But no, no ... common sense didn't prevail. So what's new, eh?

Wow Feanor. I agree with you, but it's not like you to be so rough. Is vinyl a sore spot?

Feanor
08-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Wow Feanor. I agree with you, but it's not like you to be so rough. Is vinyl a sore spot?

But it's a weary topic for me.

I can help thinking that sort of shopper who will frequent Circuit City isn't likely to have the sort of high-end rig that you need to adequately appreciate the virtues of vinyl. These shoppers are being sold the vinyl mystique, not the substance, (such as it is): suckers, in other words.

Also, it irks me that CC, et al, won't carry any real inventory of SACD, yet they're getting into vinyl. It's fundamentally ridiculous. :frown5:

audio_dude
08-29-2007, 04:59 PM
actually, "hip" music vendors have been selling crappy PLASTIC singles of certain artists... its like CD, just worse quality.. (i wonder if the new stuff will still have that "vinyl" sound?)

PeruvianSkies
08-29-2007, 08:16 PM
But it's a weary topic for me.

I can help thinking that sort of shopper who will frequent Circuit City isn't likely to have the sort of high-end rig that you need to adequately appreciate the virtues of vinyl. These shoppers are being sold the vinyl mystique, not the substance, (such as it is): suckers, in other words.

Also, it irks me that CC, et al, won't carry any real inventory of SACD, yet they're getting into vinyl. It's fundamentally ridiculous. :frown5:

Does anyone actually frequent CC? lol.

Woochifer
08-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Does anyone actually frequent CC? lol.

Well, I'll admit to popping into my local CC store every now and then. Occasionally, CC will get a hold of a decent bonus DVD exclusive like the Apocalypse Now: Complete Dossier edition where the copies sold at CC included an extra DVD with extended scenes from Redux, additional commentary, and the Kurtz compound destruction scene. And sometimes, they'll have the lowest release date pricing. If I decide to buy a release there, I'll also browse the other sections just to see what's going on in their stores (like it or not, they are still a major player in electronics retailing).

Other times, I'll go there simply because they have something in stock that I can't find elsewhere (the in-store pickup from their website works great and they'll throw in a $24 gift card if they can't process an online order within 24 minutes). But, among the electronics stores in my area, I hit up CC the least often, although if they indeed start stocking vinyl, I'll definitely drop by more often.

PeruvianSkies
08-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Well, I'll admit to popping into my local CC store every now and then. Occasionally, CC will get a hold of a decent bonus DVD exclusive like the Apocalypse Now: Complete Dossier edition where the copies sold at CC included an extra DVD with extended scenes from Redux, additional commentary, and the Kurtz compound destruction scene. And sometimes, they'll have the lowest release date pricing. If I decide to buy a release there, I'll also browse the other sections just to see what's going on in their stores (like it or not, they are still a major player in electronics retailing).

Other times, I'll go there simply because they have something in stock that I can't find elsewhere (the in-store pickup from their website works great and they'll throw in a $24 gift card if they can't process an online order within 24 minutes). But, among the electronics stores in my area, I hit up CC the least often, although if they indeed start stocking vinyl, I'll definitely drop by more often.

Not sure if they still do or not, but back in the day (around 10 years ago) they used to have a ton of import CD's that I would snag up. Then, within the past few years they started condensing their sections and everything was just thrown all over the place....and I found a little thing called THE INTERNET for all my shopping needs.

pixelthis
08-29-2007, 10:34 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. And I'd be curious as to whether Circuit City intends to add any turntables and analog accessories to their product selection. Aside from the occasional low end DJ deck, I haven't seen a turntable inside a Circuit City store since probably when Bush 41 was still in office.

While I would consider this welcome news (since Classic Records' LPs are not easy to find, even in those independent stores that make an effort to stock vinyl), I don't see it as any sign of a vinyl rennaissance. Virtually all of the new LPs out there nowadays are more expensive than the CD versions, and in many cases pushing past the $30 price point. If anything, vinyl has completed its transition into an expensive niche product. That's why it surprises me that a mass market player like Circuit City would embrace vinyl, since their support for vinyl was lousy even when the LP was still a viable mass market format and they've never been known for supporting niche formats.

But, there very well might be a market opportunity here, since not a whole lot of national chains stock new LPs. (Tower Records' demise has left a huge hole in the music retailing market)

I have seen the sony with the built in pre-amp.
Albums are more expensive because of the low volume.
They sell several hundred MILLION CD'S a year.
Any improvement in sound is purely between the ears. When I see an "audiophile"
wiht a 12,000 turntable-tonearm combo, playing an "analog" recording that has been through several digital conversions, I dont know weather to laugh or cry
The absolute sound interviewed this big shot recording engineer awhile back, asked him
which was better, CD or records, and he told them that the CD outshone the record
by a large margin.
Yes lets go back to the fun days of vinyl!
Constantly having to clean your records, handling them like delicate artifacts (which they are) and having them get scratched ANYWAY.
I lost most of my albums to water damage, still have a box and listen to my old records, but its mostly nostalgia.
If you can afford a megabuck table fine but most cant, and the refinement is subject to the law of diminishing returns.
The reality of "vinyl" is that you're getting into the music, groovin along, and POP!
Theres a microscopic spec of dirt you missed!
Those who want to return to the "good old days" have a selective memory.
Its not nearly as much fun in real life.
I am currently listening to "Suite for flute and jazz piano" , a half speed mastered
recording by Claude Bolling, heaven on earth, but how much music is worth this effort?
And the prices! Rolling stones "exiles on main street" for fifty bucks!:skep:

PeruvianSkies
08-29-2007, 10:48 PM
wiht a 12,000 turntable-tonearm combo, playing an "analog" recording that has been through several digital conversions, I dont know weather to laugh or cry
The absolute sound interviewed this big shot recording engineer awhile back, asked him
which was better, CD or records, and he told them that the CD outshone the record
by a large margin.
Yes lets go back to the fun days of vinyl!
Constantly having to clean your records, handling them like delicate artifacts (which they are) and having them get scratched ANYWAY.
I lost most of my albums to water damage, still have a box and listen to my old records, but its mostly nostalgia.
If you can afford a megabuck table fine but most cant, and the refinement is subject to the law of diminishing returns.
The reality of "vinyl" is that you're getting into the music, groovin along, and POP!
Theres a microscopic spec of dirt you missed!
Those who want to return to the "good old days" have a selective memory.
Its not nearly as much fun in real life.
I am currently listening to "Suite for flute and jazz piano" , a half speed mastered
recording by Claude Bolling, heaven on earth, but how much music is worth this effort?
And the prices! Rolling stones "exiles on main street" for fifty bucks!:skep:

People still collect old cars too, but that doesn't mean they are any less than newer cars. Some say classic cars are better than newer ones despite newer technology in cars of today being superior to older ones. So what does that mean? Well, just like analog/vinyl there are people who don't mind investing money into it because they like the sound from it and to be honest...so do I. I don't currently own anything to play the small vinyl collection that I have, but I've heard several good TT's over time and I love the fidelity they produce. That doesn't mean I am going to get rid of any CD player soon...I think people can enjoy the best of both worlds...most audiophiles own a CD/SACD player and analogue equipment as well. It's no different than owning a 1965 Mustang and a 2007 one at the same time.

pixelthis
08-29-2007, 11:05 PM
People still collect old cars too, but that doesn't mean they are any less than newer cars. Some say classic cars are better than newer ones despite newer technology in cars of today being superior to older ones. So what does that mean? Well, just like analog/vinyl there are people who don't mind investing money into it because they like the sound from it and to be honest...so do I. I don't currently own anything to play the small vinyl collection that I have, but I've heard several good TT's over time and I love the fidelity they produce. That doesn't mean I am going to get rid of any CD player soon...I think people can enjoy the best of both worlds...most audiophiles own a CD/SACD player and analogue equipment as well. It's no different than owning a 1965 Mustang and a 2007 one at the same time.

true enough, but you really dont have to break the bank.
I have two Technics, audiophile grade turntables, direct drive and belt versions of basically the same player, THEY WERE VERY CHEAP AND SOUND AMAZING.
Wow and flutter are simply not there, and the arm works quite well.
You might want to try a misic hall or something, you can get a decent turntable
for about 200 to 600 bucks

PeruvianSkies
08-29-2007, 11:12 PM
true enough, but you really dont have to break the bank.
I have two Technics, audiophile grade turntables, direct drive and belt versions of basically the same player, THEY WERE VERY CHEAP AND SOUND AMAZING.
Wow and flutter are simply not there, and the arm works quite well.
You might want to try a misic hall or something, you can get a decent turntable
for about 200 to 600 bucks

I have other priorities audio-wise first, then comes analogue.

Curmudgeon
08-31-2007, 07:19 PM
by a large margin.

Last year vinyl sales exceeded SACD and DVD-A combined.

CD/Vinyl comparisons are very tricky. For $1500 you can get a good CD player, not the best by any means, but one that has received very respectful reviews. You have to shop very carefully for a vinyl playback "set" of TT, Arm, Cartridge, and pre-preamp of equivalent quality, and I'd expect more like $2500. Tricky also because their strengths and weaknesses are not perfectly aligned, so a value judgement is inherent in the comparison.

The main reason for going (back) into vinyl is to access an existing library, or for a very few, to access material not otherwise available to collectors. With really good CD/SACD players, I feel vinyl is comparable, but not necessarily better or worse; hard to say, because both media have their share of superb and misbegotten recordings.

If there is an existing library, assigning an arbitrary value of $15/record and multiplying that by the number of records gives a ballpark (defensible?):) number for how much to spend on the playback equipment.

In may case, the comparison is between a used SCD-777ES with VSE 5+/Ellis mods and VPI Scout/Benz Glider L/ML 28; the SCD is clearly superior, but the TT is good enough that I feel no need to upgrade. The SCD's reviews put it at the very top of the heap, and I would agree; I would have to spend 3-4? times as much to get equivalently ranked vinyl playback equipt.

PeruvianSkies
08-31-2007, 07:27 PM
Last year vinyl sales exceeded SACD and DVD-A combined.

CD/Vinyl comparisons are very tricky. For $1500 you can get a good CD player, not the best by any means, but one that has received very respectful reviews. You have to shop very carefully for a vinyl playback "set" of TT, Arm, Cartridge, and pre-preamp of equivalent quality, and I'd expect more like $2500. Tricky also because their strengths and weaknesses are not perfectly aligned, so a value judgement is inherent in the comparison.

The main reason for going (back) into vinyl is to access an existing library, or for a very few, to access material not otherwise available to collectors. With really good CD/SACD players, I feel vinyl is comparable, but not necessarily better or worse; hard to say, because both media have their share of superb and misbegotten recordings.

If there is an existing library, assigning an arbitrary value of $15/record and multiplying that by the number of records gives a ballpark (defensible?):) number for how much to spend on the playback equipment.

In may case, the comparison is between a used SCD-777ES with VSE 5+/Ellis mods and VPI Scout/Benz Glider L/ML 28; the SCD is clearly superior, but the TT is good enough that I feel no need to upgrade. The SCD's reviews put it at the very top of the heap, and I would agree; I would have to spend 3-4? times as much to get equivalently ranked vinyl playback equipt.

You'll have to excuse our resident troll...he gets out sometimes and talks about things that he doesn't really know about or thinks that he does. Notice the word audiophile gets quotes around it....I mean "audiophile".

Rock&Roll Ninja
09-01-2007, 08:43 PM
My pre-amp came with phono inputs.... Is this a rare event? People always talkin' bout a seperate phono-stage...... Is this an AVR issue?

pixelthis
09-02-2007, 12:56 AM
:crazy:
My pre-amp came with phono inputs.... Is this a rare event? People always talkin' bout a seperate phono-stage...... Is this an AVR issue?
This is increasingly rare, more and more receivers leave it out.
just dont play anything else through them, it will be rather unpleasant.
A "phono stage" is nessesary for a moving magnet or moving coil turntable cartrige.
Receivers have almost always had one, usually with a magnet/coil switch for higher line models. But a seperate phono stage was what the "serious " listener always
bought first, a seperate one is supposed to be higher quality.
Why do you need one of these phono stages? the output from a cartrige was faint.
Ceramic cartriges dont need one but you don't want to play your records with one.
The Sony that Circuit city sells has a phono stage built in, if its like the Denon
turntable I briefly had, you can switch it off and plug it into your receivers phono stage.
But best thing is to get a real turntable, music hall or something similar to start,
these inexpensive turntables sound quite good, and will help you decide if you want to try vinyl. And they usually come with a cartrige, one of the first things you want to upgrade.
AND IGNORE PERUVIAN SCHIZO, like most children he redicules that which he cant comprehend, which is most everything