Home theater setup help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Home theater setup help

lonewolf210
08-28-2007, 09:38 AM
I am looking to setup a home theater in a fairly large room soemthing like 15x20. The problem is there is no back wall the area behind the listening area opens into a kitchen/dinning area. Also the T.V due to a fire place is located pretty much in the right corner of the room. I have been doing research and have narrowed the satelittes down to either the bic dv62si or the klipsch rb-35 I think. I haven't picked out a center yet and already have a reciever.I am also looking to get a decent sub but am willing to sacrifice sub quality for better spekers. I am looking to try and stay under $600. Any suggestions on speakers would be welcome and I really could use some help on how to setup the speakers based on the unusual way the room is setup.

Thanks,
Lonewolf210

lonewolf210
08-28-2007, 02:55 PM
I just took some measurements and the listening room is 15x12 and the back behind the listeners opens into a room that is 27x16.

topspeed
08-28-2007, 03:03 PM
You can find the Dolby guidelines for speaker set-up here (http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout2.html). It's a cool site and should answer most of your questions. Your room isn't that odd, BTW. Unless you have a dedicated room, there are almost always compromises somewhere.

As for speaker recommendations, you'll be hard pressed to get a full 5.1 set-up for under $600. I would strongly recommend you spend the money on two decent left and right mains and build your system as funds become available. This is what most of us did and it is infinitely more satisfying in the long run. You can set your receiver up for a "phantom" center and enjoy much higher quality sound as opposed to getting 5 junk speakers. A pair of Paradigm Atoms or Epos ELS3's would fit the bill nicely. If you don't mind used, check out audiogon.com and see if you can squeeze a pair of Von Schweikert VR1's that play down to a true 40hz (Sub? Who needs a sub?). The VR1's could become the cornerstone of a fantastic music and HT system that will give you decades of enjoyment. Indeed, I installed a full Von Schweikert / Denon 3806 HT at a friend's house that was simply astonishing!

Hope this helps.

PDN
08-28-2007, 04:53 PM
Yes, I completely agree with Topspeed. He is RIGHT ON !! Very good advice. Build your system gradually. That's exactly what I did as money became available. He's right in that a $600.00 budget will not get you much in the way of a qualtiy 5.1 speaker arrangement. You didn't mention whether you had the L & R mains so I'll assume you don't have those. Then definetly invest in those now and get them positioned perhaps in the corners or near walls to maximize your bass extension. Placing them too far into the room will lose bass response. For $600.00, you may want to go with preowned units and www.audiogon.com is an excellent site for this. Another recommendation would be to look at the new 600 series B&W loudspeakers. They just introduced the newest 600 series. If you can purchase a preowned pair of the previous B&W 600 series 3, then consider the DM602-S3, DM603-S3 or DM604-S3. The 604's will give you the greatest low end punch and they're also the largest. They're affordable and can produce some dynamite sound. All the best.

L.J.
08-28-2007, 05:14 PM
I agree with the others on building slowly. It will pay off big time in the long run.

As far as placement is concerned doldy has suggestions on corner arrangement if you have to go that route. Topspeed also posted a link where you should find some good info.

http://www.audioholics.com/images/img3.jpg

musicman1999
08-28-2007, 07:50 PM
Everyone has good ideas,buy 2 main speakers first,then surrounds,then center,then sub.At least your front 3 should be of the same model line so when you buy the mains make sure there is a matching center available.I would not however scrimp on sub,it is very important.Nothing will ruin a system,faster than a cheap,crappy sub.Also be carefull with corner placement,it may increase extension but it will also muddy the bass and cause soundstage problems.My room is similar to yours and i found that 3ft from back wall and 2 ft fron sidewall is best placement.Experiment.Low bass is what your sub if for,when you get one.

bill

lonewolf210
08-29-2007, 02:41 AM
Hey everyone thanks for all the great suggestions. I think I am going to try and go for yjr paradigm atoms but I can't find many places selling them. I just have one last question. Does it matter if my rear l/r are the same as my front l/r or should the rear ones be a slightly smaller model. Thanks again for all the help.

kexodusc
08-29-2007, 03:36 AM
Hey everyone thanks for all the great suggestions. I think I am going to try and go for yjr paradigm atoms but I can't find many places selling them. I just have one last question. Does it matter if my rear l/r are the same as my front l/r or should the rear ones be a slightly smaller model. Thanks again for all the help.

In a pefect world all 5 of your speakers will be identical. In reality, very few of us have that luxury. Ideally, they'll be from the same brand/model line, with similar driver composition and voicings. For surrounds, I've found you can get by for movies using mixing and matching anything without noticing it much. For 5.1 multi-channel music sources such as SACD or DVD-Audio, it's not really optimal. Try and get speakers from the same brand if you can, you'll just avoid any frustrations.

As for speaker recommendations, I'm a former owner of the Paradigm Atoms - definitely one possibility.
If I was buying now, I'd get the X-ls bookshelf here. Much better IMO. Real wood finish too. I haven't heard a commercial speaker at this price point I like better.
http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=speakers&brand=55

lonewolf210
08-29-2007, 07:17 PM
thanks again for the suggestions. I think I'm going to have to go with the atoms from a local dealer though. This system is actually for my dad and I almost got him to get the x-ls but the system came out to about $850 and he doesn't want to spend that much. This actually the second one in our house. we have one in the basement me and my brother set up with original klipsch herseys for the fronts and I am going to be obtaining some studio speakers from one of my dads friends for rears. Can't remember what kind. He likes the paradigms though so i think we will get those. Thanks again for all the help.