My turntable is here!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My turntable is here!!

3db
08-27-2007, 06:38 PM
ProJect Xpression II ,picked it up for 499 Cdn not including taxes. I didn't know that a good turntable would have such a low noise floor. I hear absolutely no rumble what so ever, just music that sounds so real and life like. Sadly to say, Ive also discovered some vinyl that my old TT destroyed and am considering throwing out.

JohnMichael
08-28-2007, 07:16 AM
Congrats on the new table. A quality turntable is a pleasure. I do not know which cartridge you are using but before you throw out the vinyl you might want to consider a different stylus or cartridge when you are ready for a change. The reason I say this is only part of the groove may be worn but a line contact stylus can play deeper into the groove and play areas above and below the wear. Your records will then sound better. Some cartridge lines use the same bodies but you can upgrade the stylus. Just an idea.

bobsticks
08-28-2007, 07:47 AM
Congrats. I think all too often the prevailing myth is that you have to spend megabucks on a TT to get enjoyment out of vinyl. Good to know there are quality tables out there at reasonable prices. Enjoy.

basite
08-28-2007, 08:13 AM
congrats,

but, where are the pics ? :cornut:

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

3db
08-28-2007, 06:10 PM
The cartridge is an Ortofon 10M which is supposedly a decent cartridge. I've played 3 other lbums and they sound really good. Its just this one album that seems to be have gotten ruined so far. Hoping I won't run inot anymore of them.

Congrats on the new table. A quality turntable is a pleasure. I do not know which cartridge you are using but before you throw out the vinyl you might want to consider a different stylus or cartridge when you are ready for a change. The reason I say this is only part of the groove may be worn but a line contact stylus can play deeper into the groove and play areas above and below the wear. Your records will then sound better. Some cartridge lines use the same bodies but you can upgrade the stylus. Just an idea.

jrhymeammo
08-28-2007, 07:40 PM
I'm extremly pleased with my Xpression ver.1

I dont hate digital source unlike some analog heads, but I would chose LPs over any SACD played thru my system.

Funny thing is that I love analog, but my turntable is the least expensive gear I own. Of course I've spend alot on other accommodating gears such as carts, phono pre and accessaries, but it goes to show you that you dont need to spend a ton on TT to get most outta your LPs. Me thinks, anyhow.

If you already have a well balanced setup, go ahead and get yourself a speed box for a bit over $100. It's a great little box!

Congrats!

JRA

Woochifer
08-29-2007, 12:15 AM
Congrats, glad to hear that you're enjoying your foray into vinyl.

If you're using the Ortofon OM10 cartridge, you'll be glad to know that upgrades are as simple as swapping out the stylus. No need to replace or realign the cartridge body -- just slide out the OM10 stylus and slide in a stylus 20, 30, or 40. I've used the OM10, 20, and 30, and you definitely hear a noticeable improvement in sound quality by moving from the 10 to the 20. Another advantage to this swappable stylus design is that you can use the less expensive stylus 10 for playing worn or otherwise less pristine LPs, and save the higher line stylii for your higher quality pressings.

as far as your records go, it's also entirely possible that those LPs were defective to begin with. You just notice the flaws more with a higher quality turntable setup. For all of vinyl's benefits, the variables in the pressing quality have a huge impact on sound quality, and if you're buying used LPs, the major labels used to frequently use worn stampers so defects such as inner groove distortion were fairly common.

SlumpBuster
08-29-2007, 05:11 AM
Congrats! That is a solid TT/Cart combo.

Before you throw out your vinyl -- CLEAN IT!!!!

Sorry to shout. But I learned this lesson myself. Vinyl was dying/dead while I was in college (93-97), but I was still knee deep. Lots of good records still were released on vinyl with bands like Pearl Jam and Green Day keeping the flame alive. Anyway, skip forward to present and I get my first decent (more than $30) stylus, one of those line contact stylus that John Michael mentioned. I thought a bunch of my records were ruined from college. I had been playing them all through. Its not like a pulled them out of storage. But they just kept degrading. The Goldring cart made it even worse.

A good washing turned out to be the solution. Years of abuse took their toll. Cigarette (blunt:crazy: ) smoke, incense smoke, dust, finger prints, ect. were all simply washed away. There are lots of wicked expensive washes/washers out there, but I would just start with some steam distilled water and a nice soft lint free washcloth. Sprinkle water on LP and wipe back and forth with the cloth in direction of the grooves. Don't be shy with the amount of water. Repeat with less water. Check surface under a light at an angle (will reveal missed spots). Let dry thoroughly. You may be surprised at your results.