5 latest music purchases [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 5 latest music purchases

Davey
08-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Haven't had one of these for awhile now, so queue up and give us a glimpse into your odd buying habits, with extra reputation points awarded for the oddest habits, and as always, comments welcome and appreciated ...

Caribou - Andorra
Skipped the last one, but Up In Flames from the days of Manitoba remains one of my favorites of the 2000s, and some are saying this is his best yet. We'll see.

Monkey Swallows the Universe - The Casket Letters
Didn't I just talk about this? (copy and paste) Ah, how can I resist a band name like that? I Ching meets UK indie folk rock. Lovely sweet girl singer, nice harmonies, acoustic guitars, lap steel, mandolin, cello, another lovely girl on the penny whistle, what's not to like? Oh, and the 3 geeky guys are pretty damn good players too.

Josh Ritter - The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter
One of the best songwriters around right now. Kinda quirky sounding, but reminds me a bit of that Richard Davies Telegraph record I really like, along with some Dylan and Springsteen, and tentoze is right, maybe even some Nilsson, yeah that's right, Nilsson! More rockin than in the past. Still very new, but I like this a lot.

Augie March - Moo, You Bloody Choir
Almost unknown here in the US, but a very smart and literate and melodic Aussie band. Can't say I yet love this one as much as the great Strange Bird, but I love at least half of it, and I really love "Clockwork", and it did only cost $5

Three Mile Pilot - Songs From An Old Town We Once Knew
Just the scattered singles and unreleased leftovers before the beginnings of two of my favorite bands in Black Heart Procession and Pinback (whose upcoming new one is very very good, from what Sloshy says). Haven't soaked it all in yet, and probably won't for quite awhile, but some real gems spread about here, especially the bio-rhythmic "In this town I awaken", which I could probably live with on repeat all day, or the long and squeeky horn and organ-driven "Jadulastan Requiem", which goes on just about all day even without repeating ....

ForeverAutumn
08-27-2007, 12:57 PM
I went a little prog crazy last week. I haven't spun them all yet, but my last five purchases include:

Ayreon - Actual Fantasy Revisited
Enchant - Wounded and Time Lost special edition (OOP double disk, purchased used)
Shadow Gallery - Room V
Ritual - s/t
Symphony X - Paradise Lost
Riverside - Voices In My Head
...and that old Triumvirat classic, Spartacus

Okay, so that's seven purchases, but they were all purchased at the same time so I couldn't leave anything out.

Mike
08-27-2007, 01:00 PM
1. Field Music - Tones of Town
Quirky English band with a sound of XTC meets the Beach Boys

2. BuckCherry - 15
Somebody suggested this a while back for some kick ass rock, it came out a few years ago but not a bad suggestion at all

3. Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger
Not quite the album I was hoping it would be, a lot of the songs just miss the mark for me, maybe it's a grower, and is that Willie Nelson on the first track?

4. The Go Find - Stars on the Wall
Electro pop stuff with that sort of off-key limp vocal style but I find myself going back to this again and again

5. Spoon - Ga Ga Ga
Love this album, the best album I've bought this year so far without a doubt. Good songs, nice familiar guitar sound and great sound.

Cheers
Mike

Ex Lion Tamer
08-27-2007, 04:00 PM
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Baby 81
Nick Cave - The Lyre of Orpheus/Abbatoir Blues
Spoom - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

the other two are used vinyl purchases...

Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring
Tom Petty - Southern Accents

Mike
08-28-2007, 04:54 AM
Josh Ritter - The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter
One of the best songwriters around right now. Kinda quirky sounding, but reminds me a bit of that Richard Davies Telegraph record I really like, along with some Dylan and Springsteen, and tentoze is right, maybe even some Nilsson, yeah that's right, Nilsson! More rockin than in the past. Still very new, but I like this a lot. ....

I tried Josh Ritter a few years ago with Hello Starling but wasn't taken with it that much at the time. But this new one is getting rave reviews all over the map maybe I should try him again, hate to feel as though I'm missing out on something good.

Cheers
Mike

Mr MidFi
08-28-2007, 06:02 AM
Not a lot lately for me. But I think these are my most recent acquisitions...

1. Interpol - Our Love to Admire
Saw them at Lollapalooza, and liked all the new stuff, so I had to buy this. I like it...but not as much as their first one. Not so far, anyway.

2. Sara Bareilles - Little Voice
Bought this one for my daughter, but I'm liking it too. Sounds a little like Fiona Apple, but with a much better voice. Solid singer/songwriter stuff.

3. Spoon - Ga X5
Love it. Flat-out love it.

4. Porky Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
Yeah, it's been a while now. I really like some of it, but as a whole this is a letdown from their last 2 (I happen to like Deadwing as much as In Absentia). Worth having, but not setting me on fire.

5. Warren Zevon - Stand in the Fire
Classic live album, finally released to CD for the first time.

tentoze
08-28-2007, 08:14 AM
Still the slowest year in several for me as far as new purchases.

Josh Ritter~ The Historical Conquests- head and shoulders above anything else for me

Linda Thompson~ Versatile Heart- lovely voice, as always, but the whole doesn't engage me very deeply

Johny Cash~ American V- yeah, I'm slow getting to some things. Glad I got to this one

Lucinda~ West- hell with what anyone else thinks, this a fine album(s)

Charlie Louvin~ S/T- swan song. Interesting duets.

Pat D
08-28-2007, 08:16 AM
Well, I recently purchased 30 some used LPs from a local thrift store and the public library (people donate them for sale to raise funds). I'm starting to cull my LP collection to make room for most of them. Here are a number of them:

Bidu Sayao, soprano, Bachianas Brasilieras No. 5 and Operatic Arias. This contains her classic recording of the Villa Lobos work.

Bach at Royal Festival Hall London, with Fernando Germani, organ, on Seraphim.

Beethoven, Piano Concertos 2 and 4, and another LP with No. 5, with Leon Fleisher, pianist; George Szell, conductor; and The Cleveland Orchestra.

Martyn Green in Famous Gilbert and Sullivan Songs.

The World of W. S. Gilbert & A. Sullivan, vols. 1 and 2, on London.

A John Charles Thomas Recital and John Charles Thomas Sings Songs You Love, both on RCA Camden. Most of you probably have never heard of John Charles Thomas but he was one of the great baritones of the 30's and 40's, and appeared often on radio, very popular. The CD reissues by Nimbus Prima Voce are much clearer.

Germany's Rudolf Schock, Europe's Greatest Tenor. Well, I think that's hype, but he was very good and had a very secure technique. These are popular classical songs and operetta arias.

Richard Tauber, tenor, Vienna, City of My Dreams, on Seraphim.

Verdi, Highlights from Traviata. Joan Sutherland, Carlo Bergonzi, Robert Merrill; John Pritchard, conductor; Chorus and Orchestra of Maggio Musicale Fiorentino on London.

James Melton, tenor, Sings George Gershwin and Cole Porter with orchestra conducted by Hugo Montenegro on Tops (pretty obscure label now!). He was a quite competent tenor, very nice voice quality. He also sang opera at the Met.

Mady Mesple Sings Voices of Spring with The Frank Pourcel Orchestra on Angel. She was quite an eminent French soprano.

Jeannette MacDonald & Nelson Eddy, Favaorites in Stereo on RCA. This was recorded somewhat past Eddy's prime though MacDonald is as good as ever, and reprises their hits from the 30's

Dennis Day, My Wild Irish Rose, on RCA Camden. I picked this up for nostalgia. But I find Day was a pretty good tenor and sang the sorts of things he did very well.

Sherrill Milnes, baritone, A Grand Night for Singing, with Jerrold Ottley conducting the Columbia Symphony, on Columbia. Milnes had a wonderful voice for opera, but he seems to have little feeling for show music.

Mahalia Jackson, Great Gettin' Up Morning and Newport-1958 on Columbia. Her singing style is a lot of techniques and mannerisms to me, doesn't turn me on much, but my wife likes her.

Hindemith, Symphonic Metamorphoses and Janacek, Sinfonietta; Claudio Abbado, conductor, London SO, on London.

William Schuman, Concerto on Old English Rounds; Leonard Bernstein, conductor; New York Philharmonic, on Columbia. Never warmed up to Schuman, and this is supposed to be one of his more approachable works!

Stevan Staryk, violin, Plays Kreisler with Jane Corwin, piano, on CBC. He was an excellent violinist but I like several others somewhat better doing Fritz Kreisler's little pieces, including Kreisler himself.

Carl Orff, Carmina Burana, with Fruhbeck de Burgos and the New Philharmonia Orchestra and Chorus on EMI. Soloists are Lucia Popp, Gerhard Unger, Raymond Wolansky, and John Noble.

Vivaldi, Telemann, and Rosetti, Concerti for Horn and Orchestra, on Turnabout.

Beethoven, String Quartets Op. 18, Nos. 1 and 3; Orford String Quartet, on CBC. Nice record, very well recorded, but the playing is somewhat bland compared to the Quartetto Italiano.

Tchaikovsky, Symphony No. 6; Pierre Monteux conducting the Boston SO on RCA Victrola.

Chopin, Sonata no. 2; Rachmaninoff, 2 Etude-Tableaus. Schumann, Arabesque; Liszt, Hungarian Rhapsody No. 19 (transcribed by Horowitz); Vladimir Horowitz, piano, on Columbia. The playing is simply fabulour of course, with a great perf. of the Chopin.

Max Morath, piano, plays the Best of Scott Joplin and Other Rag Classics, on a Vanguard Twofer. The first record is all piano, and is great; the second LP of arrangements for a quartet of piano, bajo, guitar, and bass, is less successful.

19th Century American Ballroom Music; James Weaver, director; Smithsonian Social Orchestra and Quadrille Band, on Nonesuch. Uses historical instruments. Well, it's interesting though not arresting.

Lily Tomlin, This is a Recording, on Polydor. Copyright 1971 by OMNIPOTENT PUBLISHING--those of you who have heard her will get the joke.

My Fair Lady, unknown performers, and is labeled A Stage Door Production, on the National Academy Record Club label.

Catherine McKinnon, The Voice of Angel, on Arc. This is apparently her first album and she did have a lovely sounding voice.

Theodore Bikel, Songs of a Russian Gypsy, on Elektra.

This Ottawa Valley of Mine, Mac Beattie & his Melodiers, on Banff, a product of Rodeo Records.

Davey
08-28-2007, 08:22 AM
I tried Josh Ritter a few years ago ... wasn't taken with it that much at the time ... hate to feel as though I'm missing out on something good.
Ahh, the problems we face as hopeless addicts, if only "normal" people could appreciate what we go through on a daily basis. Wanting to buy a record even though we don't like the guy, just because we don't want to possibly miss out. Yea, you've got it pretty bad, Mike. Have you heard that Monkey Swallows the Universe band I mentioned yet? From Sheffield and getting some pretty nice press on this one. Electrelane No Shouts No Calls spinning right now, still my favorite of this year. But new PJ Harvey on the horizon too with her piano album, Jim White on drums. PJ Harvey does Cat Power? I could like that a lot. Good year for the women in music.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/41q3knCdQJL._AA240_.jpg

Olivertmc
08-28-2007, 09:30 AM
Been shopping a lot this week:

1. Bruce Hornsby - "Intersections": Box set of mostly live tracks plus dvd - so far it's pretty great.

2. M.I.A. - "Kala": I still listen to Arular quite a bit, so this one has a lot to live up to. I think I need some more time with it.

3. Ben Harper & Innoc. Crims. - "Lifeline" - Just got my first listen - it's amazing. I love the old school recording style, I wish more music was recorded like this.

4. Grateful Dead - "Three from the Vault" - An early seventies show - I'm a big fan of One and Two - it only took around 15 years for the third to come out, but it was worth the wait.

5. Josh Ritter - "Historical Conquests" . . .: My first Ritter album - I'm pleasantly surprised.

Rae
08-28-2007, 09:35 AM
(all on vinyl):

Nina Nastasia & Jim White - You Follow Me
Haven't listened to it yet.

Sugar Pie DeSanto - Down in the Basement: The Chess Years
Couldn't resist this one as it includes her duet with Etta James, "In the Basement, pt. 1". I'm living in a basement apartment now, so it seemed appropriate. One spin doesn't reveal anything quite as giddy as that little number, but it's pretty solid.

Rhino Soul Shots Vol. 8: Sweet Soul Sisters
Cool stuff including Gloria Jones' original version of "Tainted Love", The Flirtations' "Nothing But a Heartache", The Mirettes, The Sweet Inspirations, etc.

Gear Daddies - Billy's Live Bait
Just a little nostalgia buy when I ran across a used copy of this. I used to listen to this record a lot in junior high; Martin Zellar's voice sounds more like affectation than authenticity to me now, though. Oh well.

Bruce Springsteen - "Born to Run" / "The River" / "Rosalita" 12"
Some promo single for a UK tour in 1980. I have all these songs other places, of course, but the album art is neat and it's much cleaner than any of my other Boss records. "Rosalita" already got 3 spins and I only picked it up yesterday afternoon. "Winners use the door-- so use it, Rosie, that's what it's there for!!"

~Rae

Davey
08-28-2007, 09:59 AM
Still the slowest year in several for me as far as new purchases.
Hey, have you heard any from this one yet ....

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51aDKAFPfkL._AA240_.jpg

I've only read some glowing reviews and listened to a bit so far, but sounds pretty good, especially the title track. Probably pick it up at some point, although still import now (although amazon has a pretty good price, hmmm). Sounds like real alt-country, with some of that goth-folk-indie-whatever sound I like a lot. Husband wife team does most of the singing, and she sounds kind of like Nancy Sinatra at times, not like the novelty "Boots", more like with Lee.

http://loosemusic.com/shop/full-catalogue/blanche-little-amber-bottles-ltd-edition-180g-gatefold-vinyl/

Davey
08-28-2007, 10:03 AM
3. Ben Harper & Innoc. Crims. - "Lifeline" - Just got my first listen - it's amazing. I love the old school recording style, I wish more music was recorded like this.
What does that "old school recording style" mean? His first 3 records sounded really nice, but kind of went down pretty fast after that for me, both sonically and musically. Might have to listen to some of this. Keep me posted after getting in a couple more listens.

Davey
08-28-2007, 10:19 AM
I went a little prog crazy ... Actual Fantasy Revisited ... Wounded and Time Lost ... Paradise Lost ... Voices In My Head

Prog crazy? An obvious redundancy when viewed with your shopping list, or are you just trying really hard for those extra reputation points I promised for the oddest among us?

:crazy:

Olivertmc
08-28-2007, 10:34 AM
What does that "old school recording style" mean? His first 3 records sounded really nice, but kind of went down pretty fast after that for me, both sonically and musically. Might have to listen to some of this. Keep me posted after getting in a couple more listens.

Davey:

It was recorded and mixed on an analog 16 track machine. No computers or pro-tools. It reminds me of how my old band used to record in some friend's basement or living room. Just a really nice raw sound where the instruments (especially the drums) sound the way they really do live.

Have you heard "Both Sides of the Gun"? - two disc set, one acoustic and one electric. It came out a couple of years ago - it is great. Personally, I don't really like his early stuff too much. I like a bunch of individual songs, but none of those albums grabbed me.

I'll give you a full review after a few more listens.

tentoze
08-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Hey, have you heard any from this one yet ....

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51aDKAFPfkL._AA240_.jpg

I've only read some glowing reviews and listened to a bit so far, but sounds pretty good, especially the title track. Probably pick it up at some point, although still import now (although amazon has a pretty good price, hmmm). Sounds like real alt-country, with some of that goth-folk-indie-whatever sound I like a lot. Husband wife team does most of the singing, and she sounds kind of like Nancy Sinatra at times, not like the novelty "Boots", more like with Lee.

http://loosemusic.com/shop/full-catalogue/blanche-little-amber-bottles-ltd-edition-180g-gatefold-vinyl/

Didn't know about that one either. I liked If We Can't Trust The Doctors alright, but it didn't knock me out or anything.

Davey
08-28-2007, 11:13 AM
Personally, I don't really like his early stuff too much. I like a bunch of individual songs, but none of those albums grabbed me.
Yea, kinda figured that might be the case from some of the other things you mentioned, but "Fight For Your Mind" remains one of my favorites of the 90s. Be interesting to hear more of your thoughts. Love that analog tape sound. How's the CD mastered? Very loud and compressed like most other modern stuff?

Didn't know about that one either. I liked If We Can't Trust The Doctors alright, but it didn't knock me out or anything.
When's the last time you got knocked out or anything? Just kidding, I know what you mean, gets harder and harder to get that feeling. Probably happens to me more often, but I'm a pretty easy knockout :)

bobsticks
08-28-2007, 12:38 PM
Neil Young~Hawks and Doves DVD-A
Puccini~Turandot Placido Domingo on Deutsche Grammophon
Wilco~Sky Blue Sky
Thelonius Monk~Genius of Modern Music Vol.1
John Lee Hooker~Boom Boom Classics DAD

For these ears last week was a good week. This week Sloshy has me pointed in a different direction with his "All Over The Map". Any Sparklehorse or Pinback recs are welcome...

PeruvianSkies
08-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Neil Young~Hawks and Doves DVD-A
Puccini~Turandot Placido Domingo on Deutsche Grammophon
Wilco~Sky Blue Sky
Thelonius Monk~Genius of Modern Music Vol.1
John Lee Hooker~Boom Boom Classics DAD

For these ears last week was a good week. This week Sloshy has me pointed in a different direction with his "All Over The Map". Any Sparklehorse or Pinback recs are welcome...

Let me know how that DVD-A of Hawks and Doves is....I have been weary of that thing for quite some time...I keep wanting to get it, but it's Dolby Digital and High Rez only, no DTS. I just don't want to get burned on it, I was a bit disappointed with HARVEST DVD-A.

tentoze
08-28-2007, 01:46 PM
When's the last time you got knocked out or anything? Just kidding, I know what you mean, gets harder and harder to get that feeling. Probably happens to me more often, but I'm a pretty easy knockout :)

I guess it HAS been a while. I stupidly left off the one cd, probably in the last 5 I've bought- the last 7 for sure- from this year that has gotten a lot of repeat play- Ry Cooder's My Name Is Buddy.

DPM
08-28-2007, 02:01 PM
I too will have to go with seven as I bought them all at once (well almost).

Opeth/Still Life
Muse/Black Holes And Revelations
Three/The End Is Begun
Jean Luc Ponty/Enigmatic Ocean and Cosmic Messenger
Frost/Milliontown
Greenslade/Greenslade (used vinyl)

Slosh
08-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Any Sparklehorse or Pinback recs are welcome...

Sparklehorse - hard to go very far wrong with any of 'em but my ranking is:
1. It's a Wonderful Life
2. Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot
3. Good Morning, Spider
4. Dreamt for Light Years in the Belly of a Mountain

Pinback - again, I like them all but definitely go for Summer In Abaddon first, then:
Autumn of the Seraphs (release day is 9/11/07)
Blue Screen Life
self-titled

Their Offcell EP is pretty good too but I'd stick with the full-lenghters for now.

Swish
08-28-2007, 02:33 PM
I went a little prog crazy last week. I haven't spun them all yet and probably shouldn't because they more than likely suck.

They call me....Swish.

Swish
08-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Prog crazy? An obvious redundancy when viewed with your shopping list, or are you just trying really hard for those extra reputation points I promised for the oddest among us?

:crazy:

Great minds think alike. And ours did too.

Swish Baby

Swish
08-28-2007, 02:45 PM
...along with a few I've had for a little while.

Over the Rhine - The Trumpet Child - not sure I like this one after a couple spins. Not bad, just not doing anything for me.

Richard Buckner - Meadow - had to buy it after a couple knuckle-heads on RR raved on and on about it. Shut up already!

Editors - An End Has a Start - still liking this one, although not as much as the previous.

Interpol - Our Love to Admire - like this one too.

Sadaharu - Resist.Revolt.Reclaim - shameless plug for a cd co-produced, mixed, and engineered by my son-in-law. He also did some backing vocals and percussion.

G Swish

Wireworm5
08-28-2007, 07:01 PM
My Last 5:

Black Sabbath- Greatest Hits '70-'78

Allan Parson's Project- Essentials

Cold Filter- Discovering Angels

AC/DC- Back in Black, remastered

Barenaked Ladies- All their Greatest Hits disc 1

unleasHell
08-28-2007, 07:46 PM
Got them sitting right in front of me:

1. Stranglers: Dreamtime (Remaster)
2. Stranglers: Aural Scupture (Remaster)
3. Stranglers: La Folie (Remaster)
4. Lowlife: Diminuendo (Remaster)
5. Lowlife: Permanent Sleep (Remaster)

audiobill
08-28-2007, 07:58 PM
Haven't had one of these for awhile now, so queue up and give us a glimpse into your odd buying habits, with extra reputation points awarded for the oddest habits, and as always, comments welcome and appreciated ...

You guys aren't still "buying" music are you???

It's so early twenty-first century.

ForeverAutumn
08-29-2007, 04:13 AM
My Last 5:

Black Sabbath- Greatest Hits '70-'78

Allan Parson's Project- Essentials

Cold Filter- Discovering Angels

AC/DC- Back in Black, remastered

Barenaked Ladies- All their Greatest Hits disc 1

I haven't listened to any Alan Parsons in years. Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to pull a couple of disks off the shelf and take them to work with me today.

I'll be seeing Barenaked Ladies live next Tuesday. I'm not a huge fan of their CDs, but they put on a great live show...and the tickets were free. :)

nobody
08-29-2007, 04:37 AM
Last five purchases…well a mix of things…

<b>Pole: Stingarten (2007)</b>
Electronic instrumental stuff. A bit more uptempo and song structured compared to their earlier work, but still laid back and nothing you’re gonna hear on a dance floor. Good stuff.

<b>The Best of Sex With Lurch (2004)</b>
Defunct band outta Hollywood. Transvestite garage/surf band with some creepy lyrics. Fun if you get into this sort of thing.

<b>Ghoultown: Bury Them Deep (2006)</b>
They call themselves gothabilly. It’s a mix of rockabilly, punk and western music that can really click when its on. First thing I’ve got by these fellas, but I’ll eventually start checking out more f their catalog.

<b>Big Red Goad: Truck Drivin’ Psycho (2005)</b>
Outlaw author of the Redneck Manifesto Jim Goad put out this CD of covers of classic country tunes. Stuff like My Bucket’s Got A Hole In It and other similar fare. It’s got a Johnny Cash kinda feel to it. Fun if nothing all that special.

<b>Bambi Molesters: 13 From The Hip (200?)</b>
I made a thread about these Croatian surf rock fellas the other day, so I won’t rehash. But, I’ll juts say if you like old style rock instrumentals drenched in reverb, this really outta be something you check out asap. Excellent.

I also got a couple things comin' in the mail any day now, some older EPs by <b>ISAN</b>, one of my favorite electronic groups these days.

Davey
09-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Caribou - Andorra
Monkey Swallows the Universe - The Casket Letters

Both good ones. Got the Caribou a few days ago and just got the Monkey. But the one I just ordered today and really looking forward to is ...

http://www.dotallison.com/images/larks-banner-final.jpg

No word I've seen on a US release yet. This is gonna be good. Real good. Pre-ordered mine from Tower since it was pretty much the best deal I could find, although with careful shopping you can get it for maybe a dollar cheaper from the UK (gotta watch the postage). Couple reviews already up at amazon.uk ...

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/02/x-locale/common/customer-reviews/stars-5-0._V45450368_.gif LIKE NOTHING YOU'VE EVER HEARD BEFORE - AN UNEARTHLY MASTERPIECE, 29 Aug 2007
By QUEEN VEE "QUEEN VEE" (NY NY, USA) - See all my reviews
I couldn't agree more. The astonishing DOT ALLISON, after a career-long habit of breaking with tradition and giving her fans so much more than they could ever have expected, has finally given us the masterpiece we have all so patiently waited for. Thanks in part to genius producer KRAMER (Shimmy-Disc, Galaxie 500, Low, Daniel Johnston and so much more) who contributed arrangements and performed so elegantly throughout, this collection of songs is absolutely unlike anything you have ever heard before. THIEF OF ME and ALLELUJAH stand out, but it seems negligent to offer these 2 above the others when each and every song herein is a tiny masterpiece in and of itself. Not since Neil Young's HARVEST have i experienced an entire LP from beginning to end that just doesn't miss a beat. But don't let that comparison confuse you, as this otherworldly, subtle LP is nothing less than utterly peerless, priceless, incomparable, uniquely nestled in its own world. Honorable mention must go to the near-perfect ballad SUNSET (ummagumma-era pink floyd, eat your heart out), which could effortlessly melt a glacier in 5 minutes flat. It's also the one song in this pantheon of human emotion co-written by Dot & Kramer, heralding a collaboration that this listener thinks will stand the test of time and remain a memorable hallmark of this drab musical era's otherwise worthless offerings, long into the future. Nothing less than a MASTERPIECE. How on EARTH can she possibly top this? I can hardly wait to see. The amazing Dot Allison just gets more and more amazing. 10 STARS out of 5 and i am not kidding. Spread the word.

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/02/x-locale/common/customer-reviews/stars-5-0._V45450368_.gif totally exalting, 17 Aug 2007
By Scooterboy (London UK) - See all my reviews
unlike anything you've ever heard before. understated, breathlessly beautiful, warm, intoxicating. like floating into outer space in an ocean of love. the 3rd installment in an extraordinary series of albums.

jonnyhambone
09-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Angels of Light - We Are Him got this one a few days ago now. I'm a big fan but this is, at this early point, one of the best albums Michael Gira's put out there yet. Dark and difficult lyrics but the music is so exultant and rich. It has layers upon layers and I think I'll listen to this one for awhile.

Akron/Family - Love Is Simple should be here soon. The boys backing Angels of Light on the last couple releases. They are, btw, a highly recommended live show.

Judee Sill - s/t have been religiously spinning her HeartFood for awhile now. I've only listened a few times to this...less orchestration but the songs that've stood out are lovely and have that same ebb and flow. She's my fave find of the year so far.

Opeth - Damnation nice Opeth album! I don't always have the chutzpah to listen to Opeth but this one can even be a late night listen.

Midlake - Trials of Van Occupanther pretty fun album of old school sounds. Young Bride is great! Its hard not to mention the 70's sound - Bread, Fleetwood Mac, nothin' wrong with that...plus it has that concept album arc that makes it an Album-listen. Especially good for an afternoon of gardening I've found.

Davey
09-03-2007, 07:33 PM
Angels of Light - We Are Him got this one a few days ago now. I'm a big fan but this is, at this early point, one of the best albums Michael Gira's put out there yet. Dark and difficult lyrics but the music is so exultant and rich. It has layers upon layers and I think I'll listen to this one for awhile.

Gotta get me a copy of that. Good to see you stop by. Been kind of slow around here. Did you see that link I posted at the other place with Gira's comments on all the songs?

jonnyhambone
09-04-2007, 07:21 AM
I saw his song-by-song commentary linked on the Young God Records site...interesting insight to his headspace...bit scary. btw, think I need to order that Dot Allison you were talking 'bout. The write-ups are pretty gushing.

Davey
09-04-2007, 07:48 AM
...think I need to order that Dot Allison you were talking 'bout. The write-ups are pretty gushing.

Yea, that one amazon review sounds kind of contrived and over the top, but fun. I have read some others that are probably a bit more trustworthy, but I've loved One Dove Dot, and Death In Vegas Dot, and Massive Attack Dot, and just Dot, and have always wished she could hook up with someone to give her a little better focus, someone that could guide a complete record, and Kramer seems a perfect fit. He worked exclusively on this with her last year, and cites it as his finest work as producer.

Slosh
09-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Not a purchase yet but I will soon as it's released. I must have heard 30 new albums so far this year (and purchased at least 15, with a couple I'm holding out for vinyl). So many things I'm interested in have been recently released it seems like I barely start to get to know the album I'm on and something else comes along . . . . not that I'm complaining or anything :)

NP: Enon - Grass Geysers Carbon Clouds

Swish
09-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Both good ones. Got the Caribou a few days ago and just got the Monkey. But the one I just ordered today and really looking forward to is ...

http://www.dotallison.com/images/larks-banner-final.jpg

No word I've seen on a US release yet. This is gonna be good. Real good. Pre-ordered mine from Tower since it was pretty much the best deal I could find, although with careful shopping you can get it for maybe a dollar cheaper from the UK (gotta watch the postage). Couple reviews already up at amazon.uk ...

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/02/x-locale/common/customer-reviews/stars-5-0._V45450368_.gif LIKE NOTHING YOU'VE EVER HEARD BEFORE - AN UNEARTHLY MASTERPIECE, 29 Aug 2007
By QUEEN VEE "QUEEN VEE" (NY NY, USA) - See all my reviews
I couldn't agree more. The astonishing DOT ALLISON, after a career-long habit of breaking with tradition and giving her fans so much more than they could ever have expected, has finally given us the masterpiece we have all so patiently waited for.

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/02/x-locale/common/customer-reviews/stars-5-0._V45450368_.gif totally exalting, 17 Aug 2007
By Scooterboy (London UK) - See all my reviews
unlike anything you've ever heard before. understated, breathlessly beautiful, warm, intoxicating. like floating into outer space in an ocean of love. the 3rd installment in an extraordinary series of albums.

An exaltation of larks? A murder of crows. A siege of herons. A charm of finches. A cast of hawks A deceit of lapwings, an ostentation of peacocks, a bouquet of pheasants, a congregation of plovers, an unkindness of ravens.

The collective terms for birds are so much nicer than those for musicians. A Blunt of drab male singer-songwriters. A Muse of bombastic stadium rock genii's. A Kook of talentless no-hopers who should really sling their hooks back to whatever rock they crawled from; it's just not as poetic.

But whatever collective term you use to slice it, the new album from Dot Allison, one time poster maiden of dreamy electronica, one time pre-Moss Doherty cohort, veers, ever so slightly, on the side of dull.

And, by veers slightly we mean swerves hugely in a "Oh my God look! There's Johnny Borrell!" kind of way, and by dull we mean, well, just dull. It's not bad, and it's definitely rather pretty, just not that interesting.

Although some subtle reflection on the title might have lessened that particular surprise - it's doubtful that Slayer have had future album plans dashed by Allison nabbing Exultation Of Larks. If that hadn't been sufficient to give the game away, the none-more-twee hand stitched cover art certainly should have.

Still, sometimes life isn't exciting. A lack of pulse quickening moments isn't enough to scupper an album, provided it managed to provoke something else.

Something which is intended to be heartbreak. Not revolutionary, hardly unique, but something which sustains about 90% of the art on this planet and about 100% of the manufacturers of meals for one.

So you get lashings of plaintive strings, Allison's delicate waft of a voice and tales which dance around themes of love and loss. Sadly, while it may be aimed at that most vital of organs it doesn't hit. It's a kidney bruiser, at best.

Aside from the obvious issues with the sheer mannered politeness of it all, there's also a distinct lack of variation. Indeed, aside from occasionaly opening the sound effect box last seen helping The Flaming Lips battle pink robots, there's very little distinguishing the non-threatening banjo plucking wrapping Thief Of Me in a blanket of radio friendly warmth and the non-threatening violin twiddling making The Shivering into the theme tune to a yogurt chewing hippy disco in the centre of a climate camp.

It's all just a bit yaaawn. A bit *shrug*. Worst of all, In Deep Water sounds like ****ing Enya. 'Nuff said.
- Tim Lee

Then I almost changed my mind when I ready this review:

MARTIN ASTON

Since she fronted club-pop romantics One Dove, Allison has found it hard to keep her profile up – but her wandering spirit hasn’t helped. In her solo guise, she has embraced 1960s-influenced pop ( Afterglow), more challenging sampledelia ( We are Since) and now perfumed folk-rock.

Exaltation of Larks draws on Vashti Bunyan and Sandy Denny’s world-weary melancholia and leaves traces of Dusty Springfield. Like Allison’s vocal, the album is more wistfully beautiful than emotionally moving. But with the producer Kramer adding the same dreamy tension that he brought to Galaxie 500’s albums, this record will keep you warm throughout the encroaching autumn months.

On second thought, I think I'll pass for now, especially when it would cost about $25 at this point in time. I'm no Enya fan, and if this sounds like her, count me out.

Swish

bobsticks
09-09-2007, 01:55 PM
...for not following the rule of 5. I'm an addict, whaddaya want? Stop busying my balls.

In a recent post I lamented the downfall of my little homegrown shoebox music store. Imagine my surprise and joy on Thursday afternoon when I pulled up to an intersection ans saw the beloved logo on a new storefront a full 30 city blocks closer to my lair. Some new, some used but today's take includes:

Josh Ritter~The Historical Conquests of...
DJ Deep~City To City
The National~Alligator Expanded Edition
Richard and Linda Thompson~Shoot Out The LightsSACD
Neutral Milk Hotel~In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
Costa Del Sur~Costa Del Sur
Nina Nastasia~Run To Ruin
Grant Green~Solid
Tina Brooks~True Blue RVG
Magnolia Electric Company~What Comes After The Blues
Bob Marley~Roots, Rock,Remixed Dub
Shearwater~Palo Santo to replace my boot copy
Black Uhuru~Red
Pinback~Blue Screen Life
Drive By Truckers~Southern Rock Opera
Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass~Lost Treasures
Interpol~Turn On The Bright Lights
Mr. J Mediros~Of Gods and Girls
Blockhead~Uncle Tony's Coloring Book
Kenny Burrell&John Coltrane SACD;looking forward to A/Bing this against the RVD redbook
Putumayo Presents..~Women Of The World Acoustic
The Quintet~Jazz At Massey Hall SACD
Herbie Hancock~Head Hunters 20 bit remaster; again one to A/B against the original

I think I need to give consideration to taking more vacation time...you've gotta keep your priorities in check, y'know?

SlumpBuster
09-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Mmmmmmm.... Dot Allison. Still hot after all these years. I still regularly listen to Morning Dove White. Club hit?!? That was no club hit.... that record was a make-out record. But, maybe I just hung out with trippy girls.

Davey
09-09-2007, 03:50 PM
On second thought, I think I'll pass for now, especially when it would cost about $25 at this point in time. I'm no Enya fan, and if this sounds like her, count me out.

Yeah, like Mark Kramer is gonna make a frickin Enya record! Although when you sweep away the newage bias, and really think about trip-hop or slow-core, how much difference is there really between Massive Attack or Low and Enya? I love that Dot Allison sound so I'm really looking forward to this, but if it's boring I'll let you all know. Boring is still kind of a subjective call, though. Many think Sigur Ros is boring, while others call them life affirming. And yeah, I did pay $20 pp for it, but that's only about 15 minutes of flippin' burgers here in the Golden Valley. Not quite a hardship :p

Swish
09-10-2007, 04:17 AM
Yeah, like Mark Kramer is gonna make a frickin Enya record! Although when you sweep away the newage bias, and really think about trip-hop or slow-core, how much difference is there really between Massive Attack or Low and Enya? I love that Dot Allison sound so I'm really looking forward to this, but if it's boring I'll let you all know. Boring is still kind of a subjective call, though. Many think Sigur Ros is boring, while others call them life affirming. And yeah, I did pay $20 pp for it, but that's only about 15 minutes of flippin' burgers here in the Golden Valley. Not quite a hardship :p

I thought you were a little too smart for that, but if they're paying $80 per hour I suppose that's not a bad career choice.:)

Hey, I've paid more than $20 for a cd, but not knowing much about her and reading a couple weak reviews, along with the glowing, falling-all-over-themselves reviews you posted, I think I'll wait to hear a little bit of it before I bite. I have enough mediocre stuff filling my cd cabinets presently, and I don't want to add any more on speculation.

One additional comment; I happen to like Sigur Rós, but I don't consider them life-affirming.

Swish

ForeverAutumn
09-10-2007, 07:48 AM
Great minds think alike.

Fools seldom differ. :p

Davey
09-10-2007, 08:17 AM
So you're working at McDonald's now? I thought you were a little too smart for that, but if they're paying $80 per hour I suppose that's not a bad career choice.:)

Yea, minimum wage is a bit higher out here, what with the million dollar starter homes and all. There is some room for advancement at the Golden Arches, though. I'm still a cheapass like you, I'd never pay that much for a CD unless it was an artist I loved, and something I really wanted. I'd usually just wait until it became more widely available, but that trip-folk sound is one of my favorites these days, and I didn't even see mention of a North American release. The reviews in this case don't really mean much to me since it hasn't been released yet and most fans haven't heard it. Didn't mean for it to be recommendation, just a report on my recent buying proclivities. Probably should've left out those silly amazon reviews :)

Big release week with Pinback and Joe Henry and this and all the others. I saw that the first press of the Pinback comes with a bonus disc of 3 new songs. Guess I should plan on getting that one before too long. Another of those artists that many critics find boring, but that I love.

Davey
09-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Not a purchase yet but I will soon as it's released.... NP: Enon - Grass Geysers Carbon Clouds

Oh hey, I missed this one Sloshbuddy. Just listened to "Sabina", big fun, so have you listened much and is it really good? Enon doesn't come up that much around here anymore, and I wound up skipping the last one, so the excellent High Society was my last dose except for one or two of your comps. Glad Toko Yasuda is still a big part of the mix. Love that accent. Nice interplay between her and John on "Sabina". Also fun little skronky chord at the end following the guitar and drum heavy workout at the end. So how much did you (or anyone else?) like Hocus Pocus?

Still listening a lot to Lift To Experience. Kind of forgot how much I liked it, though I recall it took quite awhile for me to get there. Goes by surprisingly quick for a 80 minute album (once you snip out the 10 minutes of dead air before the tacked on bonus cut at the end of the last song).

Rae
09-10-2007, 10:29 AM
So how much did you (or anyone else?) like Hocus Pocus?

I liked Hocus Pocus... probably more than I liked High Society. "Daughter in the House of Fools" is my favorite of Toko's songs, catchier even than "Disposable Parts". You might say that it's a "jam". Overall, I remember the record being not that stylistically different than High Society but a little less self-consciously ADD. Of course, I still miss the early Skeleton Key-influenced incarnation of the band, but I suppose you can never go home again, huh?

~Rae

Davey
09-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Of course, I still miss the early Skeleton Key-influenced incarnation of the band, but I suppose you can never go home again, huh?

There's a cover girl on a stake-out.
As a worm on a hook, she's bait.
In the trunk of a Plymouth in Memphis,
she thinks she's made a mistake.

Go on and give me some fresh new eyes.
Dress my tongue in a new disguise.
Go on and give me a sexy mouth to taste it!

Yea, can't go home, Tim Taylor was something special, seems like they were on the cusp of a strange new sound, not something John could quite pull off by himself, though I still love what he has done with it. That last Brainiac EP with Jim O'Rourke "boogie switching" was something else. Not much else like it, almost like a mix of Pixies and GvsB, with a little Devo and Depeche Mode on the side, but freakier than any of them.

Thanks for the hocus pocus.

Slosh
09-10-2007, 01:45 PM
I haven't really had much time to listen to the new Enon but first impressions are it's more rawkin' than Hocus Pocus, but probably a bit more Toko there than High Society. FWIW I kinda forgot about Hocus Pocus and definitely like High Society a bunch more (and Believo! too for that matter).

Those Pinback bonus tracks are pretty good, BTW. I've been listening to Offcell a ton lately and it may be my favorite Pinback music now, and makes me wish it was more than just an EP.

NP:

Davey
09-10-2007, 08:14 PM
I'm still a cheapass like you, I'd never pay that much for a CD unless it was an artist I loved, and something I really wanted.
Oh man, talking to myself again, but found a source that gets Dot to my door for only $12.95, so cancelled the order at Tower since it hadn't finished processing yet and went with the Hong Kong connection. That's a few less burgers to flip!

jonnyhambone
09-11-2007, 12:19 PM
so, I'm in the mood for some good, folky guy singer/songwriter stuff. I'm also poor enough that, for the moment, I'm considering between Josh Ritter - 'Historical Conquest...' or a Richard Buckner. Both seem to get a lot of critical respect here and elsewhere.
Anyone feel strongly towards one or the other?...(lets face it, I'll probably get both and a couple others when it comes down to it :rolleyes5: ).

Davey
09-11-2007, 01:11 PM
so, I'm in the mood for some good, folky guy singer/songwriter stuff. I'm also poor enough that, for the moment, I'm considering between Josh Ritter - 'Historical Conquest...' or a Richard Buckner. Both seem to get a lot of critical respect here and elsewhere.
Anyone feel strongly towards one or the other?...(lets face it, I'll probably get both and a couple others when it comes down to it :rolleyes5: ).

Josh Ritter is a huge talent, and I love the new record, but those first two Buckner records have already stood the test of time for the last 10 years or so, and still sound great, both music and sonics. Note from my previous posts that you have to get the original US DejaDisc or EU Glitterhouse version of Bloomed, don't settle for the Ryko remaster, as tempting as it may be with the bonus tracks! The original sound really fits the title, and it's readily and inexpensively available used. The second one has one of the best guitarists of modern times in Mark Ribot, joined by the Calexico boys and Howe Gelb and Lloyd Maines. What a cast! Real nice sound too. That's about the time that the mastering world went to hell, but this is a good one. Really have to crank it up, and the louder it gets the better it sounds, just the opposite of most modern stuff.

But yeah, tough to not rec the latest from Josh Ritter too. Crappy sound, but pretty addicting anyway. Not really all that folky on the new one, more like a quirky version of Springsteen before the stadium swagger took its toll (at least for me).

Slosh
09-11-2007, 03:38 PM
But yeah, tough to not rec the latest from Josh Ritter too. Crappy sound, but pretty addicting anyway. Not really all that folky on the new one, more like a quirky version of Springsteen before the stadium swagger took its toll (at least for me).I disagree. Raw and garage-y, yes, but done so purposely and I like what it adds to the feel. Would be nice to hear it with a natural dynamic range though.

NP: (MFSL)

Davey
09-11-2007, 03:56 PM
I disagree....Would be nice to hear it with a natural dynamic range though.

Or with any dynamic range. But make up your mind, you either agree or not :)

Davey
09-12-2007, 12:55 PM
I've been listening to Offcell a ton lately and it may be my favorite Pinback music now, and makes me wish it was more than just an EP.

Good stuff. Cheating, I know, but have you heard Songs From An Old Town We Once Knew? Double CD of singles and unreleased stuff from Three Mile Pilot. Some very choice gems on this one. What a multi-talented group. Sometimes it just all comes into focus, and they are better than either Pinback or Black Heart Procession. Doesn't happen every song, but man when it does ... there was/is a sympatico between those guys that really needs to be preserved. Hope they are serious about finishing a new TMP record.

Slosh
09-12-2007, 04:32 PM
I have Chief Assassin To The Sinister and it gets a "meh" from me. Maybe I should listen to it again :confused:

Pinback good
Black Heart Procession good
Three Mile Pilot not so much

fire burns

Davey
09-12-2007, 07:00 PM
I have Chief Assassin To The Sinister and it gets a "meh" from me. Maybe I should listen to it again :confused:

Pinback good
Black Heart Procession good
Three Mile Pilot not so much

I like Pinback a lot, but for me none of their records is as good as Chief Assassin to the Sinister. That one is almost up to the level of Black Heart Procession 2 and 3. Very powerful and adventurous. Pinback is highly likeable, but not very adventurous, and doesn't have the depth that Pall Jenkins brings. But that's what I like. Chief Assassin is almost like a mix of Slint and Pere Ubu, dark and uneasy, even a bit sleazy, but still with a lot of charm. Cover is pretty cool too :)

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/tmp.jpg

PeruvianSkies
09-12-2007, 10:52 PM
Good Stuff, esp. the SACD's.

dingus
09-12-2007, 11:04 PM
last five ...

Crowded House - "Farewell to the World" DVD/CD
Midnight Oil - "Flat Chat"
Steely Dan - "Two Against Nature"
Steely Dan - "Everything Must Go"
Crowded House - "Time on Earth"

jonnyhambone
09-13-2007, 04:25 AM
oops, I did it again

went in and picked up BOTH the new Josh Ritter and a copy of Richard Buckner 'Devotion+Doubt' plus used vinyl Steely Dan 'Countdown to Ecstasy'. Just a couple listens in so far but these are both fantastic and were exactly what I was in the mood for as the weather turns here. The sound on Josh R. is pretty drastic and, don't know yet, I guess it seems to sit well with the album's feel. Sure stands out when I put on Devotion+Doubt next and can really crank it up and hear fingers on guitar strings and some ambiance. Good stuff!

Davey
09-13-2007, 10:30 AM
oops, I did it again

went in and picked up BOTH the new Josh Ritter and a copy of Richard Buckner 'Devotion+Doubt' plus used vinyl Steely Dan 'Countdown to Ecstasy'.

Well done, my friend. You're just as bad as the rest of us. Man, I love Countdown to Ecstasy! Probably the only Steely Dan I still love, but made sure about 15 years ago that I got myself a copy of the original ABC black label vinyl before it got scarce, to replace my crappy scratched up not so original copy, and it does sound very good.

I have Chief Assassin To The Sinister and it gets a "meh" from me. Maybe I should listen to it again...

Oh, hey ya, I forgot about this, but Pall and Zack and Tom Zinser (Three Mile Pilot) did the Touch & Go 25 year anniversary show last year for owner Corey Rusk, even though TMP were never on that label, only their other bands. Nice professional video from T&G, and lots of amateur stuff too on youtube. Both Zack and Pall do voice overs on the video, but it finishes the last few minutes with a damn fine performance of 97-MT from Chief Assassin. They also kick ass on Shang vs Hanger and some others, but only in lo-fi video. Wish Touch & Go would get the whole show out on DVD. They had a couple cameramen in raincoats shooting through the rain and mist right in front of the stage.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wYAi8gb5bYk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wYAi8gb5bYk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Slosh
09-13-2007, 01:07 PM
I like Pinback a lot, but for me none of their records is as good as Chief Assassin to the Sinister. That one is almost up to the level of Black Heart Procession 2 and 3.Well there you go. I like Amore Del Tropico and The Spell a hell of a lot more than BHP 2 or 3 (still don't have 1 yet).

Oh, a bit off topic but I've been meaning to ask. How is Songs Of Love And Empire as a whole? Her cover of "Cry Baby Cry" is my favorite BeAtles cover by far and would like to think the rest of the album has some merit as well but haven't taken the plunge to find out for myself.

NP:

Davey
09-15-2007, 09:38 AM
Oh, a bit off topic but I've been meaning to ask. How is Songs Of Love And Empire as a whole? Her cover of "Cry Baby Cry" is my favorite BeAtles cover by far and would like to think the rest of the album has some merit as well but haven't taken the plunge to find out for myself.

Yea, that cover is one of the best ever. They were really connected. Love that smokey feel. Needless to say, her own material could never match that, but still a very good record, although most of it is harder 90s alt-rock stuff more reminiscent of someone like Veruca Salt or Alanis than the Beatles. Hard to say what you would think, although I'd probably not intentionally rec it to you. They have 2 minute samples of a few songs at http://cdbaby.com/cd/julieritter and there's an old Mary's Danish performance on youtube

How'd you like that Holopaw? I never picked it up, partly because tentoze said he liked it more than the debut, the reason being that it had less of the atmospherics that I liked so much on the debut (or something like that).

Slosh
09-15-2007, 01:21 PM
How'd you like that Holopaw? I never picked it up, partly because tentoze said he liked it more than the debut, the reason being that it had less of the atmospherics that I liked so much on the debut (or something like that).I don't know about that, it sounds like a logical progression from the debut to me. IOW, if you like one you'll like the other. It's not very much like Ugly Casanova if that's what you mean.

Guess I'll pass on Julie Ritter and just stick with Josh :)

I've been playing with MediaMonkey 3 beta for a couple of days. Really cool software that makes WMP11 or iTunes seem like a joke. Gotta like a media player that plays pretty much all audio media without plugins (FLAC, ALAC, WMAL, APE, etc., etc.)

NP:

Davey
09-15-2007, 01:42 PM
I don't know about that, it sounds like a logical progression from the debut to me. IOW, if you like one you'll like the other. It's not very much like Ugly Casanova if that's what you mean.
Naw, I was referring more to the outdoors feel, the fireflies, the ambiance. It's the electronic textures they use, very cool. Gives the music a nice dimension. I should get it. Got that new Joe Henry on the way, looking forward to that one. Might be able to push this thread past the 1000 mark, doesn't happen very often around these parts anymore.

Kind of in the midst of a glam fest around my house this weekend. Put a few drops of low trans fat oil in the bearing well, wound up the monkey, and got some Bowie and Mott and Bolan and Reed and a bunch of other transgender vinyl in rotation right now. Along with some fresh tasting St. Pauli Girl.

Rae
09-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Snap!

Hey, guess what I re-bought yesterday? Jayhawks - Tomorrow the Green Grass. Now that's a record! Still holding out hope of finding it on vinyl, but this CD will do fine for now. So blue!

~Rae

Davey
09-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Hey, guess what I re-bought yesterday? Jayhawks - Tomorrow the Green Grass. Now that's a record! Still holding out hope of finding it on vinyl, but this CD will do fine for now.

That is a good one. Funny, but way back then, the old days of the mid 90s, when the vinyl was cheap and plentiful even at Tower Records, I remember almost popping for it, but I already had the CD, and it honestly wasn't a big enough favorite to justify. I'd probably be more inclined today. They were a great backing band on Joe Henry's Short Man's Room, now there's a record! See how I artfully tie all of these posts together? Sure to break 1000 views before the weekend fades :)

Van Morrison right now on the tube. Got a pretty cool Luna DVD the last couple days from one of my good buds here. Thanks big, Gramps! As usual, I owe ya one.

tentoze
09-17-2007, 12:22 AM
How'd you like that Holopaw? I never picked it up, partly because tentoze said he liked it ...

Another testimonial, dear friends.

Davey
09-17-2007, 09:43 AM
Another testimonial, dear friends.

"Feelings, whoa, whoa, whoa, Feelings..." Hey buddy, thanks for giving my little thread the nudge it needed to break the 1000 mark. Think I might order that new Blanche CD we were talking about in another thread. Didn't realize at the time, but it's not going to be released here until next month, but sure sounds good. Only $7.98 too! Just saw that it's currently topping the charts at the americana.uk site as well ... which probably comes as no surprise since they gave it a 10 out of 10 review (http://www.americana-uk.com/auk/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=3073)...

http://www.americana-uk.com/auk/images/top10/maverick_chart1.gif

-Jar-
09-17-2007, 11:55 AM
I bought PINK by Boris on Saturday. Man that album shreds paint. Shards of feeback, fuzz and distortion reign down upon the listener like Gozilla breath from some forgotten Japanese monster movie. Rawk.

I can't remember the last thing I bought before that. Probably TV On the Radio's COOKIE MOUNTAIN. That one is still sinking its way into my brain.

Been hearing lots of new(er) stuff via the library. Even the new Mastodon.. hehe. Slapped some of it on a comp I did recently. Yes I still make comps. Ha. I like Mew.. a LOT.

Waiting for Something to Go Wrong

01 Death Cab for Cutie - Expo '86
02 Broken Social Scene - 7, 4 (Shoreline)
03 Pinback - Concrete Seconds
04 Silversun Pickups - Checkered Floor
05 Mew - Why Are You Looking Grave?
06 TV On The Radio - Province
07 The Arcade Fire - Intervention
08 The Flaming Lips - Mr. Ambulance Driver
09 Voyager One - Ready. Reset.
10 Tracker - Photograph The Ancestors
11 Built to Spill - Liar
12 Wilco - Hate it Here
13 Califone - Burned by the Christians
14 British Sea Power - The Lonely
15 Over the Rhine - Ohio
16 Tom Waits - The Part You Throw Away
17 The Black Heart Procession - A Cry For Love

Davey
09-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Slapped some of it on a comp I did recently. Yes I still make comps. Ha. I like Mew.. a LOT.

Waiting for Something to Go Wrong

01 Death Cab for Cutie - Expo '86
02 Broken Social Scene - 7, 4 (Shoreline)
03 Pinback - Concrete Seconds
04 Silversun Pickups - Checkered Floor
05 Mew - Why Are You Looking Grave?
06 TV On The Radio - Province
07 The Arcade Fire - Intervention
08 The Flaming Lips - Mr. Ambulance Driver
09 Voyager One - Ready. Reset.
10 Tracker - Photograph The Ancestors
11 Built to Spill - Liar
12 Wilco - Hate it Here
13 Califone - Burned by the Christians
14 British Sea Power - The Lonely
15 Over the Rhine - Ohio
16 Tom Waits - The Part You Throw Away
17 The Black Heart Procession - A Cry For Love

Wow, pardon my language, but that's a ****in' good damn looking comp, Jar. Ya know, if I didn't have pretty much that whole set ... you're still the man. Hey, welcome back to the machine, where ya been? Yeah yeah yeah, parental duties and all that bull :)

Just got Myth Takes by !!! and Civilians by Joe Henry (both in transit), and watched (and loved) the Tell Me Do You Miss Me DVD about the final concert tour of Luna this weekend. Three Mile Pilot still rules, "Sewn to Our Side" at the moment, but "In This Town I Awaken" coming up next, I can already feel the smile forming.

jonnyhambone
09-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Anxious for the new Akron/Family tomorrow. I haven't loved their last one or two but when they do it, it's good. Pretty good review below that breaks down the songs and their sound and talks up the amazing live show they put on...if you get a chance to see them, do it and you'll talk it up too.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/music/reviews/48152/akron-family-love-is-simple/

-Jar-
09-17-2007, 12:43 PM
Anxious for the new Akron/Family tomorrow. I haven't loved their last one or two but when they do it, it's good. Pretty good review below that breaks down the songs and their sound and talks up the amazing live show they put on...if you get a chance to see them, do it and you'll talk it up too.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/music/reviews/48152/akron-family-love-is-simple/

I was actually looking for some Akron/Family on Saturday but they didn't have any so I bought the Boris instead. I heard some Akron/Family on college radio a few months back, sounded really interesting.

-Jar-
09-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Wow, pardon my language, but that's a ****in' good damn looking comp, Jar. Ya know, if I didn't have pretty much that whole set ... you're still the man. Hey, welcome back to the machine, where ya been? Yeah yeah yeah, parental duties and all that bull :)

I stumble in here every so often, but yea, family stuff. I post in Head-fi more for some reason. I guess I should hang out here more and support my old-school team.

so I've just been finding other places to talk-up DOWNWARD IS HEAVENWARD and HEX to the un-initiated. same old stuff. :2:

tentoze
09-18-2007, 03:59 AM
Can't remember if there's much, if any, love for Athens, Goergia's favorite paraplegic reprobate, but got this in the mail yesterday:

http://www.cstrecords.com/cst_images/covers/cst046.jpg

Only got one distracted listen, but it was enough to let me know that I like it better than anything he's done since the late '90's. Backed by Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tra-La-La Band. Even one song with backing vocals by Jeff Mangum. And a decent sounding recording. Me likey.

jonnyhambone
09-18-2007, 07:58 PM
^ yeah, that sounds great. I really like Vic's earlier stuff but never felt the need to get more recent releases, think he switched to New West or something and what I heard around was so-so. Heard this hearkens back a bit to his raw and caustic 'tude ('Speed Racer' anyone?). Need to grab it soon.
Had one good listen to the new Akron/Family today...really, really hit it with this one. The soft fragility, the rawkous caucophony, harmonies like crazy, even a wave your lighter in the air moment or two. Guess I better listen to it again before I start preaching about it...

Davey
09-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Had one good listen to the new Akron/Family today...really, really hit it with this one.
Just ordered a copy of that myself. Glad to hear first impression is good. Won't have mine for awhile. That and PJ Harvey on order, Joe Henry here any time, Dot Allison just shipped, think I better hold off for awhile to soak it all in, especially since I just picked up three books from the library today as well (some sci-fi goodness in Alastair Reynolds Century Rain, Vernor Vinge Across Realtime and Peter Hamilton Pandora's Star).

Slosh
09-19-2007, 02:38 PM
NP: (tentoze's favorite band :rolleyes: )

Slosh
09-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Joe Henry here any timeCivilians = meh. Never had any Joe Henry albums before so I don't really know what I was expecting (although I know I have some of his songs via long forgotten comps :p lying around somewhere).

SP: (Still Playing)

tentoze
09-20-2007, 04:31 AM
Re: Joe Henry- Tiny Voices cured me of buying anything of his without hearing it first.

Sloshy- has Sam learned how to breathe yet?

Davey
09-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Civilians = meh. Never had any Joe Henry albums before so I don't really know what I was expecting...blah blah
Joe Henry- Tiny Voices cured me of buying anything of his without hearing it first.

You two need to free your ears and your minds. Your funkadelic ass might not follow, but Joe Henry is making some beautiful music. Nice review of the new one at Pop Matters for the uninitiated ... http://www.popmatters.com/pm/music/reviews/48330/joe-henry-civilians/ ... but Fuse is the one I'd go to first. Knockout. Can't wait to hear Civilians myself. Anticipate exploring this one for many months.

Slosh
09-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Sloshy- has Sam learned how to breathe yet?Well, the compression (dynamic range I mean, the music itself is FLAC) is so bad on this album it's kinda hard to tell, but his vocals don't really bother me. Come to think of it IMO the best thing he's ever been involved with is In The Reins but I suppose Joey Burns should get most of the credit for that one.

NP:

tentoze
09-20-2007, 01:23 PM
You two need to free your ears and your minds. Your funkadelic ass might not follow, but Joe Henry is making some beautiful music. Nice review of the new one at Pop Matters for the uninitiated ... http://www.popmatters.com/pm/music/reviews/48330/joe-henry-civilians/ ... but Fuse is the one I'd go to first. Knockout. Can't wait to hear Civilians myself. Anticipate exploring this one for many months.

And you need to stop mainlining internet reviews long enough to actually listen to some of this stuff and decide for yourself.

;)

Davey
09-20-2007, 03:04 PM
And you need to stop mainlining internet reviews long enough to actually listen to some of this stuff and decide for yourself.
Crabby old fart. Here's an internet review I'll stand behind ... http://members.mailaka.net/davey/reviews.htm#Dr_Feelgood_Malpractice

tentoze
09-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Jeez, see if I ever blow you another kiss.

Davey
09-20-2007, 05:39 PM
And you need to stop mainlining internet reviews long enough to actually listen to some of this stuff and decide for yourself
Crabby old fart. Here's an internet review I'll stand behind ... http://members.mailaka.net/davey/rev...od_Malpractice
Jeez, see if I ever blow you another kiss...
Now that I think about it, I guess you don't blow kisses to all the guys, huh? Yea ok, I'm honored, make it crabby but loveable old fart.

Rae
09-20-2007, 06:05 PM
Latest purchase:

Electrelane - No Shouts No Calls or whatever. Am I the first person to have finally taken the bait from this excessive pimping? Also picked up Vampire Hands - Virgin Dust American Lips and a bunch of used stuff. Haven't had time to spin much of it yet.

I was looking for Les Savy Fav - Let's Be Friends as my sound-unheard-impulse-buy of the day, but it wasn't in stock on vinyl. Slosh, is this one worth getting? Let me know if I should keep it on my wishlist.

~Rae

Davey
09-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Electrelane - No Shouts No Calls or whatever. Am I the first person to have finally taken the bait from this excessive pimping?

Crabby young fart. Don't I even get one of those winky kisses like tentoze?

jonnyhambone
09-20-2007, 08:06 PM
I kiss but never tell...
actually I've enjoyed this one [Electralane} but it hasn't left the car yet...it just seems like a Drivin' album. 'Course I've been biking almost exclusively so I really haven't listened to this too much. It sits with Neu! 2 and Arcade Fire 'Neon Bible' as summer-in-the-car-listens that haven't received too much airtime yet. Maybe it'll sit well with some autumn camping-trip drives.

Slosh
09-21-2007, 03:06 AM
I was looking for Les Savy Fav - Let's <s>Be</s> Stay Friends as my sound-unheard-impulse-buy of the day, but it wasn't in stock on vinyl. Slosh, is this one worth getting? Let me know if I should keep it on my wishlist.
Most definitely. It's easily as good as The Cat & The Cobra and better than Go Forth IMO. I'll be grabbing this on vinyl as well, but the lossless version I have currently will hold me over until then.

NP: