U-571 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : U-571

musicman1999
08-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Just watched this film.I had forgotten what a good film this was,good storey with a great soundtrack.

bill

PeruvianSkies
08-26-2007, 07:53 PM
Just watched this film.I had forgotten what a good film this was,good storey with a great soundtrack.

bill

Absolutely. Plus the DTS on the DVD is superb! The HD-DVD (from what I heard) is quite good as well and a bit less compressed, although it's not Dolby TrueHD or HD-DTS. The picture though suffers a bit and is a bit too dark.

The DVD had a great clip on one of the DTS Entertainment samplers with the depth charge scene. Very explosive! Especially on that sampler, which was full bit-rate!

PeruvianSkies
08-26-2007, 07:55 PM
This films soundtrack is one of the few that you can really say has some SUBsonic bass...get it...submarine...subsonic....ok, I'm done.

musicman1999
08-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Absolutely. Plus the DTS on the DVD is superb! The HD-DVD (from what I heard) is quite good as well and a bit less compressed, although it's not Dolby TrueHD or HD-DTS. The picture though suffers a bit and is a bit too dark.

The DVD had a great clip on one of the DTS Entertainment samplers with the depth charge scene. Very explosive! Especially on that sampler, which was full bit-rate!

Full bit rate,wow i wish the film was that would be special.

bill

musicman1999
08-26-2007, 08:14 PM
This films soundtrack is one of the few that you can really say has some SUBsonic bass...get it...submarine...subsonic....ok, I'm done.

Har har i get a charge out of that,get it,depth charge.This is giving me a sinking feeling,must be late.

bill

PeruvianSkies
08-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Full bit rate,wow i wish the film was that would be special.

bill

I can't say with 100% certainly without hearing it, but I believe there was a DVD issued of U-571 (I think in Japan) that was full bit-rate DTS-ES Discrete...the film was a 7.1 SDDS release in theaters and was just incredible. I can vividly recall the low thunderous rumbles when they are under attack and then when they launch the torpedo and the ship erupted it was bombastic.

musicman1999
08-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Well the es would not of helped as i only run 5.1,but the full bit rate sure would have.You know i watched my Superbit version of MIB and i always thought that Superbit titles had full bit rate dts but they don't,half only.Just thought i would throw that in.

bill

PeruvianSkies
08-26-2007, 08:51 PM
Well the es would not of helped as i only run 5.1,but the full bit rate sure would have.You know i watched my Superbit version of MIB and i always thought that Superbit titles had full bit rate dts but they don't,half only.Just thought i would throw that in.

bill

Correct. They are in the 700kbps range. Interesting enough I decided to attach what I believe is to be a full list of all Superbit titles released, including non-US releases. I have a few of them and they cost a considerable amount of money to get since they are out of print and limited.

A Man for All Seasons
Adaptation
Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Air Force One
Anaconda
Anacondas
As Good As it Gets
Awakenings
Bad Boys
Bad Boys II
Bicentennial Man
Big Hit, The
Black Hawk Down
Bone Collector, The
Bridge on the River Kwai
Brown Bunny, The
Charlies Angels
Charlies Angels II
Cliffhanger
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Closer
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Dark Crystal
Das Boot
Desperado
Devils Own, The
Dr. Strangelove
Bram Stokers Dracula
Dralion
Easy Rider
Erin Brochovich
Fast and the Furious
Fifth Element
First Knight
Fly Away Home
From Here to Eternity
Gandhi
Gattaca
Ghostbusters 1 and 2
Gladiator
Gloria
Glory
Guns of the Navarone
Hannibal
Heavy Metal
Heavy Metal 2000
Hook
In the Line of Fire
Jerry Maguire
Johnny Mnemonic
Jumanji
Jurassic Park Trilogy
Kramer Vs. Kramer
Kung Fu Hustle
Labyrinth
Last Action Hero
Lawrence of Arabia
Legends of the Fall
Les Miserables
Mask of Zorro
Men in Black
Men in Black II
Messenger Joan of Arc
Missing, The
Mummy, The
Mummy Returns, The
Music Teacher
Naked Fish
On the Waterfront
Once Upon a Time in Mexico
One, The
Panic Room
Patriot, The
Philadephia
Professional, The
Punch Drunk Love
Quick and the Dead
Resident Evil
Riverdance
Road Home, The
S.W.A.T.
Seoul
Shakespeare In Love
Silverado
Snatch
So Close
Solstrom
Spider Man
Spider Man 2
St. Elmos Fire
Stand By Me
Starship Troopers
Taxi Driver
Tears of the Sun
Tommy
Underworld
Vampires
Vertical Limit
XXX

musicman1999
08-26-2007, 09:26 PM
I have several:
MIB
The Patriot
Snatch
Tommy
Fifth Element
Lawrence of Arabia
Easy Rider
Spider man 2
Starship Troopers.
My local HMV has them on sale at 2 for $15.00.The only one i paid more than 12 bucks for
was Lawrence and i think that was 15 bucks.If you live in Canada HMV is the place to find them.

bill

PeruvianSkies
08-26-2007, 09:34 PM
I have several:
MIB
The Patriot
Snatch
Tommy
Fifth Element
Lawrence of Arabia
Easy Rider
Spider man 2
Starship Troopers.
My local HMV has them on sale at 2 for $15.00.The only one i paid more than 12 bucks for
was Lawrence and i think that was 15 bucks.If you live in Canada HMV is the place to find them.

bill

THE PATRIOT definitely has some great surround action and the battle scenes really stand out as they were shot in 65mm. THE FIFTH ELEMENT looked good back in the day, but compared to the new HD formats it pales in comparison as expected. STARSHIP TROOPERS also suffers with some detail and the black levels. THE BRAM STOKERS DRACULA has softness issues and the colors are all off, but that's not suprising as the Criterion Laser is still the only version of that film with director approved colors. TOMMY was a disappointment in my opinion. One of the better sound mixes was on VERTICAL LIMIT if you can actually tolerate the film. Import-wise I have the JURASSIC PARK Trilogy, STAND BY ME and GLORY. Another highlight title for sound is HOLLOW MAN.

L.J.
08-27-2007, 05:42 AM

bill

I will have to pull this one out and watch it again. It's been awhile. Thanks for the reminder.

Woochifer
08-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Agreed, great soundtrack demo. Great test for identifying how far below 35 Hz your sub can truly go! The imaging cues aren't quite as tight as those on Master and Commander, but the sound mix and LFE effects add a lot to those scenes with the depth charges.

The film itself is entertaining, and a total work of fiction (in actuality, the British recovered the Nazi Enigma machine, not the Americans!). Telling the real story of the Enigma would have made for a more boring movie.

PeruvianSkies
08-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Agreed, great soundtrack demo. Great test for identifying how far below 35 Hz your sub can truly go! The imaging cues aren't quite as tight as those on Master and Commander, but the sound mix and LFE effects add a lot to those scenes with the depth charges.

The film itself is entertaining, and a total work of fiction (in actuality, the British recovered the Nazi Enigma machine, not the Americans!). Telling the real story of the Enigma would have made for a more boring movie.

Agreed. The sound engineering and sound design/mix on MASTER AND COMMANDER is second-to-none. It's a top rate film with superb directional sound imaging and creative design. Even in the subtle moments early on in the film it's very quiet with some minor activity (a bell sounding off in the distance) and you can hear the slight wash of the ocean here and there, very moody and atmospheric. The battle scenes and traveling dialogue is phenomenal and one of my favorite demo discs for sure!

Ok, funny story....

A good friend of mine was recently married when the film was in the theaters and him and his new bride were trying to decide on which movie to see at the theaters. He wanted to see MASTER AND COMMANDER and was trying to convince his wife that they should see it, so he basically told her it was a chick flick/romanic love story that takes place on a ship. For those that are familiar with the film you know that there is not even ONE female in the entire film and it's a total dude-fest. Cracks me up everytime I think of the movie. They are still happily married.

s dog
08-28-2007, 07:53 AM
I will have to pull this one out and watch it again. It's been awhile. Thanks for the reminder. Im thinking about doing the samething, I forgot i even had the movie untill i seen this post.

Woochifer
08-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Agreed. The sound engineering and sound design/mix on MASTER AND COMMANDER is second-to-none. It's a top rate film with superb directional sound imaging and creative design. Even in the subtle moments early on in the film it's very quiet with some minor activity (a bell sounding off in the distance) and you can hear the slight wash of the ocean here and there, very moody and atmospheric. The battle scenes and traveling dialogue is phenomenal and one of my favorite demo discs for sure!

Yup, Master and Commander is one of those rare soundtracks that excels in every facet. It's got a decent complement of deep LFE effects, but so do a lot of other soundtracks. It stands out because of masterfully mixed surround effects that create a sense of depth and space no other soundtrack I've heard can match. On top of that, the location sound, looping, foley effects, and the music all seamlessly mix together. I use this disc as a reference for the subwoofer, the surround encirclement, and the dialog coherency. Others are good for one or two, but not all three.

Also, the Blu-ray release for this movie was announced for January 2nd. It will feature a 5.1 DTS-HD Master soundtrack, which is great news even for people without compatible HDMI receivers/processors, since the DTS-HD soundtracks can be output as a full bitrate 1.5k DTS track. With a BD-50 disc and MPEG-4 encoding, this could the best reference disc yet.

PeruvianSkies
08-29-2007, 08:18 PM
Yup, Master and Commander is one of those rare soundtracks that excels in every facet. It's got a decent complement of deep LFE effects, but so do a lot of other soundtracks. It stands out because of masterfully mixed surround effects that create a sense of depth and space no other soundtrack I've heard can match. On top of that, the location sound, looping, foley effects, and the music all seamlessly mix together. I use this disc as a reference for the subwoofer, the surround encirclement, and the dialog coherency. Others are good for one or two, but not all three.

Also, the Blu-ray release for this movie was announced for January 2nd. It will feature a 5.1 DTS-HD Master soundtrack, which is great news even for people without HDMI receivers/processors, since the DTS-HD soundtracks can be output as a full bitrate 1.5k DTS track. With a BD-50 disc and MPEG-4 encoding, this could the best reference disc yet.

That could be reason enough to get a Blu-ray player..!!!!

musicman1999
08-29-2007, 09:29 PM
Is it not true that no current players will output that format,do they not just output it as lpcm.By the way Amazon lists Oct.2 as release date.

bill

Woochifer
08-30-2007, 04:28 PM
Is it not true that no current players will output that format,do they not just output it as lpcm.By the way Amazon lists Oct.2 as release date.

bill

Actually, they can output the signal if they were authored to allow for that output. The issue until recently was that no receivers on the market could decode DTS-HD or TrueHD lossless. Now that the HDMI 1.3 receivers with internal lossless decoders are coming onto the market, the issue becomes whether the discs allow for digital output of the DTS-HD and TrueHD signals, since the "advanced" authoring on both HD-DVD and Blu-ray supposedly does not allow for DTS-HD and TrueHD digital output. And my understanding is that most major studio releases will use the "advanced" authoring.

But, either way, the newer Blu-ray players will transcode the lossless audio into uncompressed multichannel PCM. The catch here too is that you need a HDMI (1.1 and higher) receiver.

I know that with a DTS-HD track, a HD-DVD or Blu-ray player will output the "core" DTS signal. The core DTS signal is a full 1.5k bitstream, while most DVDs (including U-571 and Master and Commander) use the half bitrate 768k version of DTS. Nice thing about this is that anyone who buys a HD-DVD or Blu-ray disc with a DTS-HD soundtrack will still get a nice bump up in audio resolution without having to upgrade their existing receiver/processor.

L.J.
08-30-2007, 04:44 PM
But, either way, the newer Blu-ray players will transcode the lossless audio into uncompressed multichannel PCM. The catch here too is that you need a HDMI (1.1 and higher) receiver.

Any updates on if the PS3 will ever be capable of doing this or not?

musicman1999
08-30-2007, 05:35 PM
[QUOTE=Woochifer]

Or 5.1 analog inputs and outputs on the player,is that not correct?

bill

PeruvianSkies
08-30-2007, 05:39 PM
If I have a Blu-ray player and I have the latest HDMI going to the receiver and the receiver also does the newest 1.3, but I also have the analog jacks connected as well, which one will take the SACD first? Or would I have to switch between analog and digital to toggle between the two? If so, that would make an easy comparison to see which one sounds better. I haven't messed around yet with a Blu-ray players internal settings to know what the options are for output and how that all goes down.

musicman1999
08-30-2007, 05:52 PM
I believe there are no Bluray players that will play SACD,at this time.

bill

Woochifer
08-30-2007, 06:03 PM
Any updates on if the PS3 will ever be capable of doing this or not?

No idea, but if the PS3 has already been updated to transcode SACD to multichannel PCM, then I would assume that this would get added to the PS3 at some point. Up to this point, most Blu-ray discs with lossless audio have been using uncompressed PCM, but it seems that TrueHD and DTS-HD are appearing on more Blu-ray discs.

Or 5.1 analog inputs and outputs on the player,is that not correct?

bill

I'm not clear on which players are capable of transcoding the other lossless formats to PCM, and what audio formats these players are capable of decoding internally. The early Blu-ray players lacked TrueHD and DTS-HD decoding with the original firmware. I know that the PS3's analog outputs are two-channel only, and the PS3 currently constitutes the majority of the Blu-ray user base.

I believe there are no Bluray players that will play SACD,at this time.

The PS3 will play SACD through the two-channel analog outputs, and L.J. confirmed that the PS3 will also transcode multichannel SACD tracks to PCM for playback on HDMI receivers. I'd be curious as to whether any other players are capable of this, since DSD is part of the HDMI 1.2 spec.

PeruvianSkies
08-30-2007, 08:07 PM
If either side of the HD war wants to win, they are going to need to step up their evergreen title selection and bring out some solid winners on the format. MASTER AND COMMANDER is a key title in my opinion to bring out to Blu-ray. There needs to be some titles out there that we reference quality DVD's in order to get more people to switch over. There are also key titles like BLADE RUNNER, RONIN, and ARMAGEDDON that never saw their fullest potential on the DVD format, at least not here in the US. There was a Japanese release for ARMAGEDDON that had DTS, while no release of the film in the US had DTS, not even the awesome Criterion Edition. RONIN is another example, although I have the UK release with DTS, but the picture is still soft. BLADE RUNNER will finally see it's glory it would seem on an HD format and hopefully they don't screw it up. It'll be nice to see true whites and not yellow-tinges.