The Doors don't suck as much as I thought.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Doors don't suck as much as I thought..

GMichael
08-26-2007, 06:40 AM
I always hated music from the doors.
Being a Harley rider, I found myself surrounded by drunks who played the Doors at maximum volume over and over again. As the years went on I grew to absolutely hate The Doors.
Just a few minutes ago, I was sitting in my living room listening to music from the cable company. Riders On The Storm came on. My first instinct was to turn that crap off. But I listened for a minute and found that at a more normal listening level (about 75 db) it wasn't so bad. Actually, pretty good.
Now what? Do I have to go back and listen to all the music I used to hate to see if maybe it's not as bad as I thought? That's a lot of listening ahead of me.
I guess I better get to work.

unleasHell
08-26-2007, 07:02 AM
I've always liked the Doors, I was too young to have been a fan while they were an actual band, but they are one of the very very few 60's bands that I listen to... Good instrumentation and great vocals what more could you ask for?

PS: Never owned a Harley...

GMichael
08-26-2007, 07:12 AM
PS: Never owned a Harley...
Niether did half the drunks that were at the "Harley" bashes that I went to. But they had Harley T-shirts. And they liked to tell me that I was not a "real Harley rider" because I didn't dress all grungy looking. My reply was usually, "I really own a Harley, and I really ride it. Where's yours?" That didn't always go over so well. One guy even pulled out a gun and asked me where I parked his new ride.

3-LockBox
08-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Niether did half the drunks that were at the "Harley" bashes that I went to. But they had Harley T-shirts. And they liked to tell me that I was not a "real Harley rider" because I didn't dress all grungy looking. My reply was usually, "I really own a Harley, and I really ride it. Where's yours?" That didn't always go over so well. One guy even pulled out a gun and asked me where I parked his new ride.

That's actually pretty typical. Been to a few parties (when I was in the Navy where some grungy looking guys show up and razz somebody for driving a crotch rocket, and not having a real ride, like a Harley, and come to find out, these guys didn't even own a bike, much less a Harley. When us sailors convinced these guys to leave, they left in an old Datsun 210...we laughed our arses off at them. This was pretty typical behavior for wannabes.

Real Harley riders are too busy working on their bikes to give someone else sh!t.;)

Oh yeah...the Doors don't suck, they're just over rated and vastly over romanticised.

Wireworm5
08-26-2007, 07:54 PM
I remember seeing the Doors on the Ed Sullivan Show. Everyone wanted to be on that show because it gave 'em recognition they otherwise never would've got. I was just a kid at the time and not yet into rock 'cept for Beatles if you want to call that rock.
The hits songs by the Doors are very good. These songs are still played daily on the radio, because they are good. But being overplayed even I don't care to hear LA Woman anymore.

PeruvianSkies
08-26-2007, 09:03 PM
THE DOORS are pretty good, I enjoy some of their tunes like SPANISH CARAVAN and such, but I am not a huge fan. That singer guy looks alot like Val Kilmer though!

Snowbunny
08-26-2007, 10:38 PM
THE DOORS are pretty good, I enjoy some of their tunes like SPANISH CARAVAN and such, but I am not a huge fan. That singer guy looks alot like Val Kilmer though!

Well, that's because he played Morrison in the movie! But you already knew that didn't you? :skep:

I remember The Doors as being dark and depressing with the lyrics laced with cryptic references to drugs.

The other day when I heard my young neighbour playing The Door, I realized just how sappy and romantic most of the songs are and compared to lyrics today, they were pretty innocent and naive.

If I was a young 'un looking for wedding music I might just choose a Doors song for the first dance. :smilewinkgrin:

Touch Me - The Doors (Chorus)

I'm gonna love you
Till the heavens stop the rain
I'm gonna love you
Till the stars fall from the sky for you and I
I'm gonna love you
Till the heavens stop the rain
I'm gonna love you
Till the stars fall from the sky for you and I

Stronger than dirt

I have no idea what that last sentence is all about! Anyone?

PeruvianSkies
08-26-2007, 10:40 PM
Well, that's because he played Morrison in the movie! But you already knew that didn't you? :skep:

You got it baby...I mean bunny!

Snowbunny
08-26-2007, 10:45 PM
You got it baby...I mean bunny!

Must hop quickly off the board! I am shocked to see more than one person surfing this board at a time! :lol:

PeruvianSkies
08-26-2007, 10:47 PM
Must hop quickly off the board! I am shocked to see more than one person surfing this board at a time! :lol:

What part of the world do you live in?

kexodusc
08-27-2007, 04:10 AM
I won 3 Doors CD's from a radio station contest back in Feb or March this year. They've gotten a lot of spin time at my place - I would have considered myself a casual fan before that - liked some of it, but never got around to buying them. I've purchased 2 more CD's since. I can't believe I never got into them sooner.

Swish
08-27-2007, 08:00 AM

Where the dirtbag sits. Ha! Couldn't resist.

Swish

kexodusc
08-27-2007, 01:17 PM

Swish
BWA HA HA HA!!!

I'm going to tell that 340 lb neighbor of mine that right now...if you don't hear from me for awhile, call the police...

GMichael
08-27-2007, 01:29 PM
BWA HA HA HA!!!

I'm going to tell that 340 lb neighbor of mine that right now...if you don't hear from me for awhile, call the police...

I bet he's already heard it.

Snowbunny
08-27-2007, 05:54 PM

Swish

:confused5: I don't get it.

Slosh
08-27-2007, 06:06 PM
:confused5: I don't get it.shhh, your blonde is showing :p
NP:

unleasHell
08-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Stronger than dirt

[/I]

I have no idea what that last sentence is all about! Anyone?

Perhaps you were just joking or saying it tongue-in-cheek, but in Touch Me, Jim does not sing "stronger than dirt", but the music is the same as an 60's Ajax laundry detergent TV commercial that went something like this: "New Ajax Laundry detergent is Stronger than Dirt"

tell all the people that you see...

GMichael
08-28-2007, 05:34 AM
shhh, your blonde is showing :p
NP:

Should you be peaking at the carpet like that?