Speaker search almost over [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker search almost over

radio66
02-24-2004, 06:58 PM
I have been looking for speakers for about 4 months now. I have listened to the PSB signature 8, BMW 802, Joseph audio rm25, Coincedent Victory, Paradigm V100 .3 REV30, they all were all missing something in sound or had to much sound in some areas. the 2 I did like are Monitor audio GR60, and the Legacy signature 111. I posted the question about the outboard crossover after coming across an add for TYLER linbrook speakers and now I am very intrested in them. the tyler speakers appear to use Hi-end drivers. has anyone on this board owned or heard these speakers? what were your impressions, have you compared the Legacy to the Tylers?. The only reason I have not bought the legacy's is the store will not allow me to return them if I feel they just don't sound good in my home. :(

topspeed
02-24-2004, 07:34 PM
Wow, I'd stay away from that shop if they won't let you return it, especially considering the amount of coin involved. I haven't heard the Tylers but at the price range you're looking at I'd definitely consider Wilson Audio's Sophia. Why not check out Maggies while you're at it? Either the 3.6 or 20.1 seem to within your range. Could be an interesting change that supplies whatever was "missing" in the others.

Nice stuff you're looking into, have fun!

bmw-k
02-24-2004, 07:56 PM
If you liked the Monitor Audio GR 60's, I would highly recommend you giving a strong listen to some PSB Stratus Silver i's (which I have, and chose over the GR20's) or the PSB Stratus Gold i's.

I found the PSB's far more pleasant on every level than the MA GR20's. I would wager that they would stack very well against the 60's.

Final note, the Maggies truly do have an awesome soundstage. I just couldn't get the fiance' to sign off on their relative size.

RGA
02-24-2004, 10:37 PM
I have been looking for speakers for about 4 months now. I have listened to the PSB signature 8, BMW 802, Joseph audio rm25, Coincedent Victory, Paradigm V100 .3 REV30, they all were all missing something in sound or had to much sound in some areas. the 2 I did like are Monitor audio GR60, and the Legacy signature 111. I posted the question about the outboard crossover after coming across an add for TYLER linbrook speakers and now I am very intrested in them. the tyler speakers appear to use Hi-end drivers. has anyone on this board owned or heard these speakers? what were your impressions, have you compared the Legacy to the Tylers?. The only reason I have not bought the legacy's is the store will not allow me to return them if I feel they just don't sound good in my home. :(

Well whatever you decide you have to listen which you're doing.

i agree without the home demo it's tough...not essential however since if you ever move you'll be in another room right? I would rather compare several speakers in the same room rather than one at my home and several others somewhere else. Quite often speakers I buy sound significantly better in my home without treatments than high end stores with treatments...odd as that is. Course it could be dumb luck.

There are a lot of good speakers in your price range - and I agree with the Magnepan suggestion. Not because i have heard it but because they have an entirely differnet approach same with Electro-stats.

you may want to go to http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/speakers/bbs.html because of your price range Audio Asylum is more of a high end forum. Someone may have more than likely heard Tyler acoustics instead of just hearing OF them. We all can't hear everything after all.

I would add Audio Note to your audition list(AN E or J) because it like ML and Quad and Magnepan offer a different design approach than some of the speakers you've been looking at. I found it interesting that some of the big reviewers from Stereophile Hi-fi Choice and enjoythe music own AN speakers. In my view it's one thing to write a good review it's another to actually want to keep them. And many of them also own Quad and or Magnepan etc. Still doesn't mean YOU should buy based off of that however but perhaps it would be not a terrible idea to have them on your audition list either.

There is just SOOOOOOOOOOO much available that it's wise to really attempt to listen to as much as possible(even pro reviewers don't hear everything and they suffer ffrom biases and certain likes dislikes in sound just like you or I).

From your initial list you liked the MA. Good! Put that down somewhere and go listen to another 5 and pick the best from that lot and another five etc. Sort of like finding a top 5 list and then really zone in on those. It took me ~four years though not intently just sort of keeping an ear out here and there. And don't judge speakers by the amount of drivers or weird shapes - or lack of weird shapes. The Audio Note AN E/ Sec is just about the plainest looking speaker I have ever heard...and I still question why it needs to be more complex looking...my opinion is that it certainly doesn't need to be. Indeed, looking in my Marantz receiver I see lots of stuff...look into a Bryston and it's dead simple and not much inside...then you listen :D