new amps [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : new amps

stereo_novice
08-25-2007, 08:24 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows of any new amps on the market that are in the 3 to 5K range. I am looking to drive Paradigm S4 or S6's for music and HT.

elapsed
08-25-2007, 08:58 PM
If you have the opportunity, I'd suggest auditionning Anthem. Paradigm and Anthem have excellent synergy, which is no coincidence considering they are sister companies. ;)

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVM 30 ($2,999)
Poweramp: Anthem PVA 7 ($1,499) or Anthem MCA 50 ($1,999)

The MCA 50 has more power, though you could consider bi-amping your front speakers with the PVA 7 (if you are driving 5 speakers).

If your budget is only for poweramp, you might consider Anthem Statement products such as the A5 or P5. I haven't auditionned these for myself yet.

stereo_novice
08-25-2007, 09:03 PM
Thanks I was considering Anthem but have yet to hear them. As far as the Statement series are they worth the extra cost compared to the ones you mentioned? How about subwoofer that goes well with the Paradigm? The Signature Servo is way to big for my room.....12X12.....REL?

Mr Peabody
08-25-2007, 09:17 PM
You might want to give Edge a listen. I haven't had a chance yet but people who have heard them have been blown away. I have heard a brand called T+A that is very good. The amps are expensive but their performance holds it's own with much more costly amps.

I'm curious why you posed your question the way you did, asking if any "new" amps are on the market, as to say you've heard them all and haven't found what you are looking for.

In your price range you could get a Krell. Perhaps a Levinson or Pass.

stereo_novice
08-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Good question, but no I havent heard anywhere near all of the amps out there...lol. I was referring more to "new" technology since I am buying the pre/amp/speakers all together. I just dont want to spend a lot of money on a pre and amp and then the next month that same company comes out with a new better version, for example. Ayre Acoustics have sounded real good to me but how old is the technology? I am familiar with the name Krell but havent heard any yet

PeruvianSkies
08-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Are you looking for 2-channel or 5-channel....check out Plinius, PS Audio, or Parasound. The three P's!!! Also, Classe.

stereo_novice
08-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Well I am a 50/50 guy between music and HT. 2 channel amps sound better than 5 channel amps but only using the 2 fronts(and maybe a sub)? Also, how would I run my 5.1 speaker set up and I have 4 pairs of in wall speakers throughout the rest of my place? Another amp? selector??