Car Audio [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Car Audio

Wireworm5
08-25-2007, 11:13 AM
I drive taxi and I'm fortunate to have a in dash cd player. I've driven a number of different North American vehicles that all have basically the same players. Depending on the car the sound ranges from good to bad. The car I presently drive sounds decent at low volume but distortion is obvious if you turn up the volume to about half.
Why do North American cars use the same cheap systems? None of them play mp3, and with cd-r it might or might not work.
Anyways I lucked out on a taxi fare to Regina from Saskatoon, Ka Ching! So before I drive back I stopped at Walmart to buy a cd to listen to on the way back, 2 1/2 hr drive.
Alan Parson Essential, which only had a couple songs that I liked. I played the whole double cd set. When I got home I played the cd again on my home stereo. What a difference, the music was dynamic and full of body, like watching black 'n white tv and swithing to color.I still only liked a couple of songs.
What I am saying is this this is what most people are esposed to, chitty audio. If they heard what the music really sounds like on a good home audio, they would probably become audiophiles too.
Just a rant while procrastinating on yard work. :)

PeruvianSkies
08-25-2007, 01:25 PM
I disagree to some extent. On one hand I certainly wish that all of us had the ability to have good systems that would allow us to hear the music to the best that it can be reproduced, but even in doing so, that won't make everyone an audiophile. Being an audiophile takes a passion that can only come naturally, not just something from hearing something that sounds good for a change. While I do agree that there would be a number of conversions, you can't create passion, it can only come from within a person. The second part of being an audiophile is dedication, which not everyone would want to invest in either, so between those two things I kinda disagree to a certain degree. It would be nice, but it won't happen.

MikeyBC
08-26-2007, 09:51 PM
My definition of an audiophile is someone who listens to music he doesn't like because it sounds amazing. Something like that. I do anyway.

PeruvianSkies
08-26-2007, 09:54 PM
My definition of an audiophile is someone who listens to music he doesn't like because it sounds amazing. Something like that. I do anyway.

Now that's funny.

I will have to admit that there are certain groups/bands/singers/etc that I have only grown to love through this hobby. Steely Dan comes to mind. I didn't see what all the fuss was about this group until you hear them in a sweet setup! I probably wouldn't listen to much of what I do if it wasn't for the quality of the sound.