Best S&G Song.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best S&G Song....

PeruvianSkies
08-24-2007, 08:59 PM
Ok, vote for your favorite song by Simon and Garfunkel or write-in a vote if you don't see in on the 10-option poll...

Let's have some fun with this!!!

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/panda.jpg

I still laugh like crazy at this clip!!!!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s8BEvAoYsxk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s8BEvAoYsxk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

PeruvianSkies
08-24-2007, 09:08 PM
This is a tough one for me, as I am a huge fan of S&G and also love songs like KATHY'S SONG, EL CONDOR PASA, and AT THE ZOO, among many others that were unable to make the list. I also really love APRIL COME SHE WILL. For some reason the two songs that resonate with me the most would probably be ONLY LIVING BOY IN NEW YORK or THE BOXER....both are just so emotional and deep.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K0oMPfigUWY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K0oMPfigUWY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

tdst
08-24-2007, 10:52 PM
I don't see anywhere on your poll where it says "NONE". :confused5:

PeruvianSkies
08-24-2007, 11:20 PM

That's because they never wrote a song called NONE...so what's your point?

Rich-n-Texas
08-25-2007, 07:59 AM
Because Yes covered it sooo well! :biggrin5:

PeruvianSkies
08-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Because Yes covered it sooo well! :biggrin5:

So which version do you like better?

Rich-n-Texas
08-26-2007, 05:52 AM
Well, if I tell you the truth I'll be disqualified from this poll...

unleasHell
08-26-2007, 07:03 AM
That's because they never wrote a song called NONE...so what's your point?

LOL, the second best comeback EVER!!!

Swish
08-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Ok, vote for your favorite song by Simon and Garfunkel or write-in a vote if you don't see in on the 10-option poll...
Let's have some fun with this!!!

Anyone voting for it should be shot on sight.

Really.

Swish

bobsticks
08-26-2007, 03:46 PM

...cosigns and sadly removes himself from poll...

Wireworm5
08-26-2007, 07:35 PM
I'm not a S&G fan but I did buy the best of album for the songs I like..
It was a toss up for a couple songs, like the Boxer is good and so is Mrs. Robinson. But the song that keeps poppin in my head occasionally is Sound of Silence which is why I bought the cd.

PeruvianSkies
08-26-2007, 07:43 PM
I am a bit surprised that no one else is really a fan of S&G. Maybe I just tend to lean more towards some of the singer/songwriters of that era.

skewiff
08-26-2007, 07:58 PM
I voted for America, Paul Simon never wrote a better song than this, maybe as good, but not better.

Tony

Wireworm5
08-26-2007, 08:02 PM
There are lots of S&G fans, just not here. My friend listens to them he likes the song Kodachrome.
Kids nowdays don't care much about past bands. Heart is coming to out city and I asked this girl in my taxi, if she was going to Heart. She didn't even know who Heart is and that they've been around for some 30 years.

PeruvianSkies
08-26-2007, 08:08 PM
There are lots of S&G fans, just not here. My friend listens to them he likes the song Kodachrome.
Kids nowdays don't care much about past bands. Heart is coming to out city and I asked this girl in my taxi, if she was going to Heart. She didn't even know who Heart is and that they've been around for some 30 years.

The songs are just too deep for some people...

Lyrics like this are just ingenious...

Hello darkness, my old friend,
Ive come to talk with you again,
Because a vision softly creeping,
Left its seeds while I was sleeping,
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence.

In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone,
neath the halo of a street lamp,
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of
A neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence.

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more.
People talking without speaking,
People hearing without listening,
People writing songs that voices never share
And no one deared
Disturb the sound of silence.

Fools said i,you do not know
Silence like a cancer grows.
Hear my words that I might teach you,
Take my arms that I might reach you.
But my words like silent raindrops fell,
And echoed
In the wells of silence

And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon God they made.
And the sign flashed out its warning,
In the words that it was forming.
And the signs said, the words of the prophets
Are written on the subway walls
And tenement halls.
And whisperd in the sounds of silence.

Swish
08-27-2007, 08:03 AM
I am a bit surprised that no one else is really a fan of S&G. Maybe I just tend to lean more towards some of the singer/songwriters of that era.

I'll bet that a majority of the regulars here are fans of them, but the music is getting pretty dated so they don't come up in our conversations very often. I voted for America, but I like a lot of their stuff, just not Sound of Silence, which suck giant hippo balls.

Swish

Rich-n-Texas
08-27-2007, 09:18 AM
I'll bet that a majority of the regulars here are fans of them, but the music is getting pretty dated so they don't come up in our conversations very often. I voted for America, but I like a lot of their stuff, just not Sound of Silence, which suck giant hippo balls.

Swish
...towards one well written poem? Whatever happened to two-part harmony? Whatever happened to lyrics that told a story that didn't involve death or angst?

Snowbunny
08-27-2007, 07:56 PM
Anyone voting for it should be shot on sight.

Really.

Swish

Aww...come on, Swishster! Now that you're a grampa, you're going to have to embrace the early bird specials and the easy listening radio stations.

:Yawn:

I picked The Boxer but it was a close choice between that, My Little Town, and Only Living Boy.

I would give an honourable mention to El Condor Pasa for its distinctive opening notes of, was it a pan flute?

And Feelin' Groovy was the perfect song for its time.

Swish
08-28-2007, 05:27 PM
...towards one well written poem? Whatever happened to two-part harmony? Whatever happened to lyrics that told a story that didn't involve death or angst?

Read the lyrics again. What do they mean? Nothing. The song was crapola when it was recorded and remains crapola. I rest my case.

Swish

ForeverAutumn
08-28-2007, 06:20 PM
I've got to agree with Swish about Sound of Silence. I had a high school teacher that used to teach a small group of us how to play guitar after school. He absolutely loved that song and tried to teach us all how to play it. I just never understood his affection for it. I never did learn it. I spent all my time practicing Dust in the Wind instead.

I used to really enjoy S&G, but the truth is that when I look at the list of songs, I'm so tired of them all that I just can't find it in my heart to pick one to vote on. I suppose if you held a gun to my head, I'd go with The Boxer or maybe Mrs. Robinson.

Snowbunny
08-28-2007, 09:08 PM
I've got to agree with Swish about Sound of Silence. I had a high school teacher that used to teach a small group of us how to play guitar after school. He absolutely loved that song and tried to teach us all how to play it. I just never understood his affection for it. I never did learn it. I spent all my time practicing Dust in the Wind instead.

I used to really enjoy S&G, but the truth is that when I look at the list of songs, I'm so tired of them all that I just can't find it in my heart to pick one to vote on. I suppose if you held a gun to my head, I'd go with The Boxer or maybe Mrs. Robinson.

Well, aren't you lucky! Our music teacher had a penchant for traditional folks songs like:

~Squid Jigging Ground~

Oh, this is the place where the fishermen gather,
In oilskins and boots and Cape Anns battened down.
All sizes of figures with squid lines and jiggers,
They congregate here on the squid jigging ground.

Some are working their jiggers while others are yarning.
There's some standing up and there's more lying down.
While all kinds of fun, jokes and tricks are begun,
As they wait for the squid on the squid jigging ground.

There's men of all ages and boys in the bargain,
There's old Billy Cave and there's young Raymond Brown.
There's a red ranting Tory out here in a dory,
A-running down Squires on the squid jigging ground.
There's men from the Harbour, there's men from the Tickle,
In all kinds of motorboats, green, grey and brown.
Right yonder there's Bobby and with him is Noddy,
He's chawing hard tack on the squid jigging ground.

Oh, God bless my sou'wester, there's Skipper John Chaffey.
He's the best hand at squid jigging here, I'll be bound.
Hello, what's the row? Why he's jigging one now.
It's the very first squid on the squid jigging ground.

Now, the man with the whiskers is old Jacob Steele.
He's getting well up but he's still pretty sound.
While Uncle Bob Hawkins wears six pairs of stockings,
Whenever he's out on the squid jigging ground.
Holy smoke! What a scuffle, all hands are excited.
'Tis a wonder to me that there's nobody drowned.
There's confusion, a bustle, a wonderful hustle.
They're all jigging squids on the squid jigging ground.

Says Bobby, "The squids are on top of the water. I just got my jiggers 'bout one fathom down.
But a squid in the boat squirted right down his throat,
And he's swearing like mad on the squid jigging ground.

There's poor Uncle Billy, his whiskers are spattered,
With spots of the squid juice that's flying around.
One poor little boy got it right in the eye,
But they don't give a darn on the squid jigging ground.

Now if ever you feel so inclined to go squidding,
Leave your white shirts and collars behind in the town,
And if you get cranky without your silk hanky,
You'd better steer clear of the squid jigging ground.

Now that would have been fine if she was from the Maritimes, but she was a proper English lady from Victoria. :lol:

And back on topic, Sounds of Silence was one of the first albums I ever learned from start to end. As a kid, I loved the song Cecelia, and would play it ad nauseum on the jukebox at the lake marina. My other favourite song on the jukebox was Brown Sugar - The Stones in the days when I thought they were singing about the sweet stuff you put in your coffee. :smile5:

SlumpBuster
08-29-2007, 05:46 AM
just not Sound of Silence, which suck giant hippo balls.

Swish

Ahh, fine rock critisism. It like Lester Bangs never died. :D:lol:

Apparently some of you had a much different adolesence than I did. Or maybe I just hung out with classier chicks. Contrary to that advise given in Fast Times at Ridgemont High, the key to teenage success with the ladies (regardless of generation) is not Side 1 of Led Zepplin IV. Rather it is S&Gs Greatest Hits followed up by Bryan Ferry's Boys and Girls. The JuJu of that combo is not to be toyed with. No teenage Lothario music collection is complete without either.

As for favorite song of S&G, I don't listen to them anymore. Graceland kinda ruined it for me. If I'm gonna put on one of their records, I'd rather listen to Graceland. So, I'll vote for Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes.

3-LockBox
08-29-2007, 09:54 AM
Sound Of Silence was a good enough song, in the vein of Paul McCartney's Beatle ballads. Yes, its overly sentimental, like most of Simon's canon. You gotta be in the mood for S&G, just like I gotta be in the mood to listen to Long And Winding Road.

FWIW: I voted America, which is also very sentimental, but also very well written and clever in spots...and of course, Yes' cover of that song is one of their best songs - I didn't hear it until just a few years ago and it blew me away.

nobody
08-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Is Me & Julio Down By The Schoolyard Simon & Garfunkel or just Paul Simon?

PeruvianSkies
08-29-2007, 12:22 PM
It would seem that people are split 50-50 on their liking of Simon and Garfunkel. I guess to me their songs seem unique and there hasn't been very many bands like them since. Sure, they are singer/songwriters, but even their songs have something different about them that separate them from the rest. I guess they are not everyones favorite, but they do have some songs that will live on for many decades. Did anyone happen to catch the Library of Congress induction of Paul Simon? It was a 3-hour concert with tons of guest bands and was superb!