Trouble getting sound through HDMI with Blu-ray [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Trouble getting sound through HDMI with Blu-ray

codecougar
08-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Hello everyone. I am new here. I just bought a 42" JVC LCD 1080p television, a Sony Blu-ray player, and a Sony receiver.

Initially I hooked up the Blu-ray player directly to the tv with an HDMI cable without running it through the receiver (I used the coaxial digital out to the receiver for the sound). I was told this was not the best way to do it so I went out and bought another HDMI cable and now I have the Blu-ray plugged into the receiver and the receiver out to the tv all with HDMI cables.

I get a picture, but cannot for the life of me get sound though my speakers (center, 2 fronts and 2 rears). I added an optical cable from the Blu-ray player to the receiver and I do get sound, but I thought the HDMI cable was all that was needed. However, the manual for the receiver states that only the tv speakers will work with the HDMI connection and I need to connect the digital audio jacks to take advantage of the multi channel surround sound.

So it really doesn't make sense to me. The only reason I am running the HDMI cable through my receiver is to take advantage of the audio capabilities of the HDMI cable. But if I have to connect the receiver separately anyway, why bother? Do I just have a crappy receiver?

Thanks for any input (no pun intended).

PeruvianSkies
08-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Well, I can try and help, but without knowing the details about which receiver and such I will at least try a few things. First, question is whether or not you are able to get sound from the coaxial from the player to the receiver. If so, than we know that works and we don't need to do anything else with that cable. You can then take it out of the mix and run the HDMI's from the player to the receiver and then receiver to the TV. At this point you said you have picture, which is a good thing, but you don't have sound? I would check the settings on the Blu-ray player and make sure that you are outputting the sound through HDMI, it might still be set on Coaxial. Sometimes players have to be told which audio to send out, not sure if yours is like that, but it's worth a try. Hopefully you are able to fix it with just a setting change like that. Most likely that will do the trick. Also, you might have to change your receiver settings as well, which is typically found under INPUT SELECTOR or something along those lines....under this menu you have to assign you source (player) with what type of input is being used (i.e. HDMI, coax, etc etc.). You might have to make both of these adjustments...keep us posted!!!

codecougar
08-25-2007, 08:05 AM
The receiver is a Sony 5.1-Channel Receiver (STR-DG510). You can see the details here:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-5-1-Channel-Receiver-STR-DG510/sem/rpsm/oid/176878/catOid/-12949/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I can get both coaxial and optical sound from the Blu-ray player to the receiver. I can also get sound through HDMI when I run the player through the receiver and into the tv, but only through the tv's speakers, not the receivers hooked up to the receiver. When I read the receiver's manual, however, it seems to be saying this is normal and that I can only use the tv's speakers with the HDMI cable alone. Maybe the receiver is too low end?

In any event, I now have the Blu-ray player plugged directly into my tv with the HDMI cable without running it through the receiver and I have Blu-ray plugged into the receiver using an optical cable. It sounds pretty good so maybe I'll just stick with this set up and forget the HDMI audio.

L.J.
08-25-2007, 09:47 AM
The receiver is a Sony 5.1-Channel Receiver (STR-DG510). You can see the details here:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-5-1-Channel-Receiver-STR-DG510/sem/rpsm/oid/176878/catOid/-12949/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I can get both coaxial and optical sound from the Blu-ray player to the receiver. I can also get sound through HDMI when I run the player through the receiver and into the tv, but only through the tv's speakers, not the receivers hooked up to the receiver. When I read the receiver's manual, however, it seems to be saying this is normal and that I can only use the tv's speakers with the HDMI cable alone. Maybe the receiver is too low end?

In any event, I now have the Blu-ray player plugged directly into my tv with the HDMI cable without running it through the receiver and I have Blu-ray plugged into the receiver using an optical cable. It sounds pretty good so maybe I'll just stick with this set up and forget the HDMI audio.

That Sony is only capable of VIDEO pass-through. It does not accept audio via HDMI. Get rid of it. You have a 1080p display and a BR player. Pick up a Yamaha 661 from Best Buy. I auditioned this unit and really liked it. The 661 can pass 1080p and most importantly it accepts MC PCM via HDMI. You need this or MC analog inputs to enjoy the lossless audio track on BR discs. You will also gain a better overall quality and future flexibitity.

BTW, welcome to AR.

codecougar
08-25-2007, 10:10 AM
Thank you L.J. That explains a lot.

Unfortunately, I m stuck with this receiver for the time being. I pretty much blew my budget with the tv and Blu-ray player. I will have to save up and then can upgrade to a better receiver.

While we are on the subject, however, I have 2 additional questions:

1.) Does running the HDMI video through a receiver (vs. directly into the tv) degrade the video quality? I would think that it would to some degree due to the longer cable run and the fact that it is being passed through another component prior to the display.

2.) How much of an upgrade are we talking here if I go from digital optial cable for the sound to HDMI? Is it basically clearer sound? louder? or no perceptable difference?

Thanks again !!

L.J.
08-25-2007, 11:00 AM
1.) Does running the HDMI video through a receiver (vs. directly into the tv) degrade the video quality? I would think that it would to some degree due to the longer cable run and the fact that it is being passed through another component prior to the display.

This is the usual thinking but no there shouldn't be any loss. The HDMI pass-through/switching is pretty much there for convenience. It should be fine either way.

2.) How much of an upgrade are we talking here if I go from digital optial cable for the sound to HDMI? Is it basically clearer sound? louder? or no perceptable difference?

I noticed an immediate improvement in sound. Very seamless playback from front to back. More depth and just a better overall presentation. I've caught myself looking around the room a few times thinking someone was in the kitchen or something but it was the movie. Give Pirates a listen and you'll know what I'm talking about. Heck, even my PS3 games that support HD audio sound freakin' good.

If you do decide to hang onto that Sony for awhile, one good thing to note is that most BR movies with a DD or DTS tracks are encoded at a bitrate higher than DVD so you should still get some form of improvement. The main thing about the Sony is it doesn't offer much in the flexibility dept. and you will eventually have to upgrade it if you wanted to take advantage of higher quality sound.

codecougar
08-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Yeah, after the new year starts I should be able to upgrade the receiver. I just needed something cheap for the time being. It still sounds pretty decent, but I will go all out on a really nice receiver when I upgrade. Thanks again for the help.

Mr Peabody
08-25-2007, 05:22 PM
Whether the video signal is degragated going through the receiver depends on how good the receivers video section is, ie proper bandwidth and good parts. If the surround don't work with HDMI, why bother going to the receiver anyway. I would not spend money on a receiver just to get HDMI to work with audio. According to the Dolby website there is going to be compatibility problems and highly unlikely that Blu-ray decoders will allow digital audio to bypass their internal processors. If you want to take advantage of the HD audio and be assured of no problems, use the 5.1 analog connection. I've been impressed with the digital output of Blu-ray, I haven't tried the analog yet.

Take the extra HDMI back and get your money.

L.J.
08-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Mr Peabody I was not suggesting the 661 simply for the sake of audio via HDMI. Although I do tend to lean that way because I'm using a PS3 which only supports HDMI. The Sony avr he's currently using does not have mc analog inputs so an upgrade is needed if he ever wants to take full advantage of his BR player.

On a side note, I'd be interested in hearing your impressions on HD audio once you get those analog cables connected. I would have had those cables hooked up the day I brought my player home :cornut:

Mr Peabody
08-25-2007, 08:42 PM
You are right, with no analog in, the HD audio would not be able to be taken advantage of. I just wanted to point out another aspect of the sham that is HDMI.

Ironically, I was watching a movie and a few minutes into it the screen went black. I was getting audio but no video. When I hit stop I knew I had a problem because the screen the greets you didn't show, just black. The connections felt in place. I tried unplugging the machine and that didn't work. So I was about to take it into another room to see if it would output video into another TV, I unplugged the HDMI cable from the player and something told me to plug it back in and try it one more time before going through all that trouble. For some reason that worked. Unplugging the power didn't do anything but unplugging the HDMI and plugging it back in worked. I pushed on it earlier to make sure it was in good, I can't imagine what the deal was. I can't tell you the contempt I have for those behind HDMI, it is the worst thing ever forced on consumers. But let me not get started on that again.

PeruvianSkies
08-26-2007, 02:54 AM
Has anyone done any testing between HDMI and analog to see which sounds better? I am curious, especially for SACD playback purposes.

Mr Peabody
08-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Do you know if it is possible for SACD to be output via HDMI? HDMI is digital, so first your receiver would have to be HDCP compliant, and secondly, your receiver would have to be capable of decoding the SACD signal. I'm assuming if the industry won't allow digital output of SACD via optical or coaxial because of no copy protection, they aren't about to let it out via HDMI without it. I just haven't heard of it being done.

PeruvianSkies
08-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Do you know if it is possible for SACD to be output via HDMI? HDMI is digital, so first your receiver would have to be HDCP compliant, and secondly, your receiver would have to be capable of decoding the SACD signal. I'm assuming if the industry won't allow digital output of SACD via optical or coaxial because of no copy protection, they aren't about to let it out via HDMI without it. I just haven't heard of it being done.

Well, I am quite sure that HDMI 1.3 is able to pass through 5.1 analog for SACD purposes...Others will confirm this.

Mr Peabody
08-26-2007, 07:14 PM
HDMI might pass 5.1 but it isn't going to be analog, think about it, what type of connection is HDMI

PeruvianSkies
08-26-2007, 07:50 PM
HDMI might pass 5.1 but it isn't going to be analog, think about it, what type of connection is HDMI

and think about what SACD is....or for that matter DSD....direct stream digital.

Mr Peabody
08-26-2007, 08:07 PM
Your point? I think you made mine. This whole conversation started when you said something about HDMI carrying 5.1 analog. The HDMI can be used with a SACD but the signal will still be DSD or LPCM digital, thus, your receiver will have to be able to decode it.

musicman1999
08-26-2007, 08:07 PM
HDMI will carry SACD and you don't even need 1.3,any version will do.You just need a processor that will accept HDMI audio,until recently most recievers were just HDMI video switchers there for useless for hdmi audio.HDMI will also carry up to 8 channels of uncompressed audio at 24/192.
Mr P i think the issue with coax and optical is bandwiidth related,as in not enough.There seems to be a lot of confusion about HDMI and what it can do and what it can't.

bill

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-16-2007, 12:04 PM
HDMI will carry SACD and you don't even need 1.3,any version will do.You just need a processor that will accept HDMI audio,until recently most recievers were just HDMI video switchers there for useless for hdmi audio.HDMI will also carry up to 8 channels of uncompressed audio at 24/192.
Mr P i think the issue with coax and optical is bandwiidth related,as in not enough.There seems to be a lot of confusion about HDMI and what it can do and what it can't.

bill

Bill,
To get a SACD bitstream whether its been transcoded to PCM or not requires a HDMI 1.2 spec. While the bandwidth is there in a 1.1 HDMI connection, it however does not recognized either the DSD 1 bit signal nor the transcoded LPCM signals from the PS3.

Rich-n-Texas
09-16-2007, 04:05 PM
Although I'm a relative n00b here and a lightweight, I say...

Welcome back Sir T! :thumbsup:
(with all due respect)

Fred333
09-27-2007, 07:02 AM
Where did Sir T go?