Celebrity Audio... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Celebrity Audio...

PeruvianSkies
08-23-2007, 05:34 PM
I thought it might be interesting to compile a listing (if anyone has some information on it) with celebrities and their audio/home theater systems. It would be cool to post some pictures of what celebrities are using, especially if they have some exotic stuff.

Unfortunately I don't know what any celebrities have, so I am relying on the rest of you to help this thread out!

emorphien
08-23-2007, 07:16 PM
From MTV cribs I don't think celebrities bother with the high end stuff :p

PeruvianSkies
08-23-2007, 07:23 PM
From MTV cribs I don't think celebrities bother with the high end stuff :p

I was thinking more of the musicians out there, what do they typically have in their homes for playback purposes...esp. the notoriously ones for being picky and perfect about their sound....

emorphien
08-23-2007, 08:09 PM
I was thinking more of the musicians out there, what do they typically have in their homes for playback purposes...esp. the notoriously ones for being picky and perfect about their sound....
What, those aren't musicians on MTV Cribs? :lol:

I too often wonder what various musicians or other celebrities listen to. Obviously while I don't watch Cribs I have seen a bit from time to time at the school restaurants and elsewhere, and they really never seem to have anything more than a Bose system or something. Those aren't the "musicians" whose systems I'd be that curious about since most of them probably wouldn't know good sound if it hit them on the ass but still, wouldn't a good system improve their street cred' or something? :confused5:

PeruvianSkies
08-23-2007, 08:29 PM
What, those aren't musicians on MTV Cribs? :lol:

I too often wonder what various musicians or other celebrities listen to. Obviously while I don't watch Cribs I have seen a bit from time to time at the school restaurants and elsewhere, and they really never seem to have anything more than a Bose system or something. Those aren't the "musicians" whose systems I'd be that curious about since most of them probably wouldn't know good sound if it hit them on the ass but still, wouldn't a good system improve their street cred' or something? :confused5:

Like I wonder what Stevie Wonder has in his home? Or Prince...? I just have to wonder, and I am sure they don't listen to their music on a set of KLH speakers.

emorphien
08-24-2007, 04:44 AM
Exactly. It would be interesting to get in to the topic and see if any have a preferred speaker for listening to their music with too.

basite
08-24-2007, 05:26 AM
well, I guess I'll start 'the list'

I got this out a B&W brochure:

dave stewart listens to B&W 802's
and so does cassandra wilson
and Alfred brendel listens to 805's (I think they were 805's, they could have been 803's too...)

It ain't much, but it's a start...
Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Luvin Da Blues
08-24-2007, 05:50 AM
Is GMicheal a celebrity???? I know what he listens to.

basite
08-24-2007, 07:55 AM
GM is kindof a AR celebrity, you could put it that way :)

Florian
08-24-2007, 09:27 AM
Bill Gates supposely owns MBL 101E's. The chief designer for Walt Disney animations *at least in the early 90's* uses Apogee Grands. The Smithsonian institute uses Apogee DIVA's to display Mozart's piano. I believe NASA uses some subwoofers from VMPS audio, but i only read that somewhere. The designer at disney, i know and also one of the heads over at Paramount pictures uses a Apogee Grand also. I talked to him once too.

Sorry, i know only about Apogees mostly.

PeruvianSkies
08-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Bill Gates supposely owns MBL 101E's. The chief designer for Walt Disney animations *at least in the early 90's* uses Apogee Grands. The Smithsonian institute uses Apogee DIVA's to display Mozart's piano. I believe NASA uses some subwoofers from VMPS audio, but i only read that somewhere. The designer at disney, i know and also one of the heads over at Paramount pictures uses a Apogee Grand also. I talked to him once too.

Sorry, i know only about Apogees mostly.

Those are some great names and information. It's unfortunate Flo that there aren't more people hanging around this site that are into the exotic high end stuff that could offer some great discussion. Obviously these people are out there all over the world, but I wonder what it would take to draw them to this site. I too enjoy the photo gallery, but it's getting rather lame as well. We need more people to post pictures and we need to get more interesting things happening around here.

Florian
08-24-2007, 10:12 AM
Well, these clients have no need to justify or discuss audio and would be at a loss here. My friend who bought the Grand in Washington, spends 75000$ on cables and doesnt own a car. He just gets a limo.... Its a very different world to these fellas. There is no interest for them to go onto forums. I mean, i wanted to share my Grand rebuilding experience, my own passive crossovers, the room correction and room acoustics. But most of my suff is very expensive, so i usualley am not met with much interest. Or someone will argue with me over how some paradigm mini monitor for 700 bucks will give me 50% of my enjoyment because of the decreasing value as the price goes up. Its just silly and tiresome, for me at least.

-Flo

nightflier
08-24-2007, 02:50 PM
For anyone who saw the re-release of the Italian Job, what was that audio system that Seth Green was fiending over? I tried to see it at the end of the movie, and it looked like regular Martin Logan speakers to me, but I may be wrong. Anyone know?

By the way, Chandler & Joey had just generic Blueroom speakers in their living room on the show Friends, but I think in the last two seasons they got an upgrade. Anyone notice this?

Rock&Roll Ninja
08-29-2007, 03:52 AM
George Lucas uses B&W towers. Lots of photos of those around his house and 'the ranch'. But often artists will be happy to endorse products they may never use. Does Henry Rollins really like Klipsch? We may never know... But we do know he's happy to get paid to stand next to them.

bfalls
08-29-2007, 04:46 AM
Before Joey and Chandler had the Minipods they had a pair of Martin Logans. It was during Joey's Soap Opera days when he purchased the porcelean animals, had the recliners and the huge entertainment center.

According to an article by Scott Wilkinson, male model Fabio own Martin Logan Statements and stacks of Krell amplifiers. Here's a list of his equipment.

INSTALLATION BY FABIO:
MAIN SYSTEM
AmPro HD4600 video projector
Stewart custom 12-foot ElectriMask perforated screen
Faroudja VP 400 line quadrupler
Runco LJR 11 laserdisc player
Pioneer Elite LD-52 laserdisc player
Lexicon CP-3 surround processor
Krell KIS Reference A power amps (4)
Krell MDA-600S power arnps (2)
Krell KSA-100S power amps (2)
Krell KSA-300S power amps (2)
Krell KPS 20t CD player
Krell DT-10 CD player
Krell KRC-HR preamp
Krell Reference 64 digital processor/power supply
Martin Logan Statement speaker system (front left & right) w/custom Krell KBX crossovers (2)
Martin Logan Logos speaker (center)
Martin Logan Sequel II speakers (sides) (2)
Infinity IRS V speaker system (surrounds) w/custom Krell KBX crossovers (2)
Velodyne ULD18 powered subwoofers (2)
Grado HP 1000 headphones
Stax SR Lambda Pro headphones (2 pair)
Transparent Audio MusicLink Reference interconnects, MusicWave Reference speaker cables
Transparent PowerLink power cords and power-conditioning equipment
Transparent Audio video cables

DINING ROOM
Pioneer Elite PRO91 rear-projection TV
Martin Logan Quest speakers (2)
Krell KSA-200 power amp

KITCHEN
Mitsubishi CS-35803 direct-view TV
Panasonic AG-WI multi-format VCR

BEDROOM
Pioneer Elite PRO107 rear-projection TV
Sony KP-61XBR28 rear-projection TV
Pioneer Elite CLD-97 LD player
RCA DSS satellite system
Mitsubishi U80 S-VHS VCR
Sony SLV-R1000 S-VHS VCR
Krell CD-DSP CD player
Krell KRC preamp
Wadia 15 Digital Decoding Computer
Harman/Kardon AVP1 surround processor
Martin Logan Monolith III speakers (front right & left) (2)
Martin Logan Quest speakers (surround) (2)
Martin Logan Logos speaker (center)
Krell KMA-200 power amps
(2) Krell KAS-200 power amps (2)
Denon POA-6600 power amp

musicman1999
08-29-2007, 05:09 AM
Wow,nice system.I wonder if that list is old,because there is no dvd player listed.Anyway i bet it sounds incredible.

bill

PeruvianSkies
08-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Wow,nice system.I wonder if that list is old,because there is no dvd player listed.Anyway i bet it sounds incredible.

bill

I bet the sound is so realistic that you can hear the birds coming straight at your face!

topspeed
08-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Why would I care what a "celebrity" owns? Why would I care about any celebrity at all? America's infatuation with "celebrities" is nauseating to me. There's a reason the only news I watch is Sportscenter.

By the way, you'll find most professional musicians don't buy "hi-end" audio systems. For one, they are in the studio using monitors all the time. Secondly, they don't worry about how realistic the newest Enya CD sounds. If they want realistic music, they play it.

PeruvianSkies
08-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Why would I care what a "celebrity" owns? Why would I care about any celebrity at all? America's infatuation with "celebrities" is nauseating to me. There's a reason the only news I watch is Sportscenter.

By the way, you'll find most professional musicians don't buy "hi-end" audio systems. For one, they are in the studio using monitors all the time. Secondly, they don't worry about how realistic the newest Enya CD sounds. If they want realistic music, they play it.

I guess it's a good thing we aren't asking you to care then....isn't it?

emorphien
08-30-2007, 06:45 PM

It's a good thing nobody asked your opinion on anything!

I don't give much of a damn about whether they are celebrities or not, but I do find it interesting what people in the music or related business choose to listen to, particularly if they have the money to listen to anything they want. Certainly some most likely listen to studio monitors exclusively but I doubt that's true for all of them. It's not a matter of "celebrity" to me, it's more like asking a professional race car driver what his own personal car is.

PeruvianSkies
08-30-2007, 09:19 PM
It's a good thing nobody asked your opinion on anything!

I don't give much of a damn about whether they are celebrities or not, but I do find it interesting what people in the music or related business choose to listen to, particularly if they have the money to listen to anything they want. Certainly some most likely listen to studio monitors exclusively but I doubt that's true for all of them. It's not a matter of "celebrity" to me, it's more like asking a professional race car driver what his own personal car is.

Exactly!

Glen B
08-31-2007, 02:47 AM
This thread brings to mind the Louis Armstrong House and Archives in Queens, NY. The former home of the late musician is now preserved as a museum. As I recall in a TV documentary, he had a complete Marantz system that would likely have been considered SOTA back in the day.

dean_martin
08-31-2007, 07:46 AM
Sound & Vision magazine (maybe back when it was Stereo Review) used to have a regular column where they would have band members listen to their music on 3 or 4 different systems and discuss what they heard. The discussions usually gravitated to which system (tube or solid state) or which pair of speakers sounded most like what the musicians heard or intended when they were recording the songs. Once in awhile one of the musicians would discuss his own home audio system. If memory serves, it seems like B&W came up frequently, but just as frequently a musician would mention his boombox in the bathroom and by the end of the session/article he was ready to go out and by a "real" system.

Oh...I noticed a nice Mac system in the movie The Departed.

Blue Meanie
08-31-2007, 09:44 AM
Like I wonder what Stevie Wonder has in his home? Or Prince...? I just have to wonder, and I am sure they don't listen to their music on a set of KLH speakers.

I wonder if Stevie has a big screen TV...:confused5:

Jeff

basite
08-31-2007, 10:37 AM
Oh...I noticed a nice Mac system in the movie The Departed.

we all did :cornut:

they've been in other movies too, but not as nice as they were showing them in the departed :)