mid-fi subs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : mid-fi subs

herm0016
08-22-2007, 01:07 PM
I am looking at subs to go with my infinity primus 150s and my Yamaha receiver. I need it to be powered and am looking at about a 10 or 12 inch driver, i am willing to spend up to 200, possibly a little more if it is worth it. i would love to get opinions on these or others and weather or not it is worth getting a 12 over a 10. the low crossover freq of the infinity's is about 58 hz, 4th order crossover.

infinity ps10 -or 210 which seems to be the new version
jbl venue 10 in - seems like a cheap option
polk psw10 - not impressed by the polk bookshelf's, not sure about the subs
velodyne 10 in - saw a good deal at frys, but its sold out
dayton 10 in from parts express -heard this was a pressed cardboard cabinet?
( and 12in version of all the above)
am willing to look at used or scratch and dent items.

thanks.

Vardo
08-22-2007, 07:14 PM
The Dayton Titanic MKIII cabinets are not made of "pressed cardboard".
They are made in China, and the enclosure quality is excellent.
But of your budget is $200 or a little more, then the Dayton 10" Titanic
Kit is to much at $315. They are on sale, and $50 off of shipping.
Excellent sub for the money..........link:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-760

Also Elemental Designs is getting alot of good reviews and their
A2-250 is $300 with free shipping.....link:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=2_41&products_id=406

I own the Dayton 10" kit, and it's very nice, easy to put together,
goes down to 30Hz (conservative). I can recommend it, because
I own one.

As far as eD (elemental designs), from what I've heard they make
very good car subs, and are now into home subs. If you order from
them, expect a slow delivery time......cause they're flooded with
orders, and don't have the personal to put out subs in a timely
manner....anyways, my 2 cents........vardo

herm0016
08-24-2007, 09:11 PM
wrong dayton 10 inch. search again. i know the titanic mkiii is really a nice one. check out the dayton sub10 which is about 150 cheaper. thanks for the reply though.

Vardo
08-24-2007, 10:12 PM
Well, the thought crossed my mind that you were looking at a different
Parts Express Dayton sub.........maybe this is the one you had in mind,
link:..........http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-633&vReviewShow=1&vReviewRand=7258563#reviews

Don't know about that one, but for the price and specs, maybe
something to consider in your price range......vardo

drseid
08-25-2007, 03:26 AM
$200 max is a very tight budget for a sub, and most likely none of the available candidates will be able to really get you much in the way of performance, unfortunately... That said, the Dayton you are looking at would easily be your best bet IMO from your available candidates.

Another option is to look for a used sub on Audiogon... Subs frequently are sold for 50%+ off of new price when bought used... At that price level you may have better luck in finding one that delivers good performance.

Good luck,

---Dave

thekid
08-25-2007, 05:56 AM
Herm- As far as a sub in your price range I do own a Sony SA-WX700 Subwoofer which is good for the price range it works well in my HT. You can sometimes find it on sale for less. I actually got mine for a $100 after a Sony rebate but I have not seen it at that price for awhile. You will probably have to expand your budget to go up in quality.

S&V just did a shoot-out on mid-price subs that are a bit above your budget. If nothing else it might help with your research;

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/speakers/2316/shootout-five-mid-price-subwoofers.html

Good luck and let us know with what you get.
I am thinking of an upgrade myself.

herm0016
09-11-2007, 12:23 PM
im back and finally purchased a sub. i ended up getting the infintiy ps-10 from vanns for 189. w/ free shipping. i figure i may as well get the one that goes with my speakers, even if its not the very best for my budget, it will do a good job. thanks for all the help.

compaqguy
09-18-2007, 07:46 AM
it goes with your speakers? someone shoot me now...

herm0016
09-18-2007, 07:52 PM
it goes with your speakers? someone shoot me now...

yes. having the same driver type is not a bad thing. the sub was also not too expensive, i like how the speakers sound for the price, and i like having matched sets of things. I do not believe that i will hear a great difference in most of my choices in this price range, and i have heard some crappy review for some of them.

::BANG::