Van Halen makes me SICK...if this is true. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen makes me SICK...if this is true.

Swish
08-22-2007, 03:41 AM
I was going to tack this on the Wolfgang Van Halen thread but thought it would slip by too many people since it was getting a bit dated. Anyway, someone noted way down in that thread that the pictures of their former bass player, Michael Anthony, were removed from the band's website and replace with the kid's pictures, but they were restored a couple days later after fans protested.

Anyway, here are the comments by that M.A. who is touring with Sammy Hagar, and you won't believe the very last line after his quote, not coming from him...the part that makes me sick:

MICHAEL ANTHONY: 'I Was Not Invited To Do The VAN HALEN Tour' - Aug. 21, 2007

Former VAN HALEN bassist Michael Anthony has released the following update:

"I want to thank everyone for all the support you've shown me during the past months. It's all been pretty crazy, and I just wanted to bring you all up to speed.

"A lot of you have been asking about the upcoming VAN HALEN tour and my response to it. It's not that I'm not touring with VAN HALEN because I'm going out with Sammy [Hagar; former VAN HALEN frontman]. I'm going out with Sammy because I was not invited to do the VH tour. Sammy told me that if I was asked to be part of the VH tour and decided to do it, it would be totally cool, and it would not tarnish our friendship in the least!! Well, it's not to be, and life goes on. I'll still be out there with Sam, and I can't wait to do some partying with all of you.

"One last note from myself to all the VAN HALEN fans out there who will be attending their shows... Wolfgang [Van Halen, new VAN HALEN bassist and Eddie Van Halen's son] is a great kid, so don't judge him too harshly. I'm sure he'll do just fine!!"

A furor erupted online last week after photos of Anthony at the band's official web site were either removed or replaced by an image of guitarist Eddie Van Halen's son Wolfgang, who will play bass on the group's upcoming tour. The photos were restored less than two days later.

VAN HALEN announced the details of its long-awaited reunion tour with original singer David Lee Roth on August 13. The tour kicks off on September 27 in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Pre-recorded tapes will reportedly be used to recreate Anthony's backing vocals on the tour.

Can you imagine DLR's vocals without the solid backing of Michael Anthony? His voice is nearly shot, so I was wondering how they would pull it off on this tour. Gee, let's use Michael's backing vocals on tape but put Wolfgang on stage! What a bunch of classless, idiotic a-holes.

Swish

Finch Platte
08-22-2007, 06:04 AM
Let me get this straight: He's not going to tour w/ VH because he's dating Sammy Hagar?

Wow. What an admission. As for the rest of it, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

kexodusc
08-22-2007, 07:46 AM
They should trail VH's tour and played the same cities on the same days - call themselves Van Haylen or something...

3-LockBox
08-22-2007, 08:21 AM
Yeah, I read that a few days ago and thought it was proof positive that DVH had gone over the deep end. DLR is lucky that Wolfgang can't sing.

"One last note from myself to all the VAN HALEN fans out there who will be attending their shows... Wolfgang is a great kid, so don't judge him too harshly. I'm sure he'll do just fine!!" - MA

Both MA and SH have been class acts through all the VH messes. I remember way back in the late '80s when VH was still relevant and DLR was on his second album, MTV news was reporting that DLR had to cancel part of his tour due to lack of ticket sales, and VH was asked if they felt it was vindication for all the bad things DLR had said about Van Hagar, and while both the Van Halens were glib, both MA and SH said that they felt bad for the guy and they wouldn't wish that (tour cancelation for lack of interest) on anybody cuz it could be them some day.

As much as Sammy Hagar's music is old fashioned and perhaps even one dimensional, he still just goes out and puts on a show and seems genuinely honored to be able to do so. He'd never cheat fans and insult their intelligence the way EVH has done.

PeruvianSkies
08-22-2007, 09:50 AM
They should trail VH's tour and played the same cities on the same days - call themselves Van Haylen or something...

or...VH-2???? lol

3-LockBox
08-22-2007, 10:55 AM

they could call it the Micheal Sammy Group (MSG...oh yeah)

they could call it Hagar-Anthony Group or HAG

anything but Woboritos

GMichael
08-22-2007, 11:17 AM
How about VH lite? (or heavy if you prefer)

Rich-n-Texas
08-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Is Eddie out of re-hab yet? Again? Doesn't sound like it.

nightflier
08-22-2007, 12:20 PM
3-Lock,

There already exists a MSG: Michael Schenker Group. LOL

Seriously, though, I've seen Sammy twice, many years ago, and while I wouldn't call the music fantastic, the show was pretty good. I'll put him up there with the likes of Bruce Springsteen, in that he gives you your money's worth and then some.

In the end, I don't want to wish either band any bad luck. It would be sad for either one to go out like has-beens and, heaven forbid, end up on a reality TV show sharing a house with MC Hammer and Courtney Love. But that certainly looks like a real possibility now. Hopefully EVH's son learns something from this and comes up with his own band on his own merits someday.

But I certainly won't be seeing either band in concert any time soon. If I had to choose, it would be Michael Anthony & Hagar, but certainly not for $80 a ticket.

3-LockBox
08-22-2007, 01:00 PM
There already exists a MSG: Michael Schenker Group. LOL

can a brutha get a duh!? :crazy:

Actually, I go back futher to the McAuley Schenker Group (thus the ...oh yeah)

I think you're spot on about Sammy. he isn't going to reinvent himself or rock-n-roll. I would go see him if it were convenient, and reasonably priced, but no, I wouldn't pay a 3-digit figure to see anyone.

I wouldn't be surprised to see VH family show in the making, ala The Ozbournes.

bobsticks
08-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Michael Anthony and, by extension, Sammy Hagar earn some credibility by having the most gracious and adult response one can imagine.

As for the rest of them, what a bunch of punk-asses.