For Neil Young Fans [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : For Neil Young Fans

audiobill
08-21-2007, 08:50 PM
Uncle Neil is apparently ready to release parts of a long-lost album. I thought I'd share this with Neil fans, of whom there are many here at RR:

Perhaps inspired by the success of Brian Wilson’s completion of the Smile album in 2004, Neil Young has announced plans to revisit an album rumored to have been scrapped 30 years ago. It’s not clear how much of the original Chrome Dreams was recorded before it was shelved, but songs from the album such as “Like a Hurricane,” “Will to Love,” “Powderfinger” and “Will to Love” showed up on subsequent albums. Chrome Dreams II will feature ten songs, three of which were previously written; two tracks clock in at the monumental lengths of 18:30 and 13:00. Are we in for a revisit of “Hurricane’s” and “Cortez the Killer’s” blistering shred-fests? Let’s keep our fingers crossed.

Hope this is true,

Bill

BradH
08-22-2007, 06:49 AM
It’s not clear how much of the original Chrome Dreams was recorded before it was shelved...

It was completely finished and the artwork was ready to go. Chrome Dreams has floated around for years in boot trading circles. I used to have an mp3 version on my hard drive. It was supposed to be released in '76 but different versions of those songs were used on albums over the next few years. The project itself became Rust Never Sleeps.

Chrome...rust....get it?

PeruvianSkies
08-22-2007, 05:27 PM
I finally watched the HEART OF GOLD film tonight....some great footage and it's about time Jonathan Demme does some creditable. http://www.impawards.com/2006/posters/neil_young_heart_of_gold.jpg

audiobill
08-23-2007, 11:51 AM
It was completely finished and the artwork was ready to go. Chrome DreamsThe project itself became Rust Never Sleeps.

Chrome...rust....get it?

Thanks for the info and thanks to PeruvSkies for his input -- I never knew.

Luvin Da Blues
08-23-2007, 12:42 PM
I finally watched the HEART OF GOLD film tonight....some great footage and it's about time Jonathan Demme does some creditable. http://www.impawards.com/2006/posters/neil_young_heart_of_gold.jpg

:cornut: Great concert footage and a decent recording to boot. Apparently Neil was having some serious health issue during the making of this video. I'll keep this in my collection for a long time.

PeruvianSkies
08-23-2007, 01:58 PM
:cornut: Great concert footage and a decent recording to boot. Apparently Neil was having some serious health issue during the making of this video. I'll keep this in my collection for a long time.

Yeah, this is one of the those concert documentaries that is reminiscent of the Band's THE LAST WALTZ, but again Demme is no Scorsese, even if he did helm one of the greatest films of all time: SILENCE OF THE LAMBS. Baaah Baaah.

BradH
08-23-2007, 07:02 PM
...but again Demme is no Scorsese...

I don't know, I'll put Stop Making Sense up against The Last Waltz as another of the all time great concert films.

He also did one on Robyn Hitchcock called Storefront Hitchcock which I've avoided becasue it's all acoustic. Robyn's acoustic performances are good but I prefer the electric stuff with his old Soft Boys mates. I think I'll rent it anyway.