DPLII or Neo:6? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DPLII or Neo:6?

Ace H
08-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Opinions wanted....which is better DPLII or Neo:6?

Rich-n-Texas
08-21-2007, 10:58 AM
IMO, the better comparison would be Dolby Digital vs DTS Neo:6. I personally prefer the DTS format. It just seems to make multi-channel audio sound clearer in my room setup. Your results may vary...

GMichael
08-21-2007, 10:59 AM

Both are good choices. DPLII seems to have a little more boom while the Neo:6 seems to have better mids and highs. It's all in what you like, your system and room acoustics.

GMichael
08-21-2007, 11:01 AM
IMO, the better comparison would be Dolby Digital vs DTS Neo:6. I personally prefer the DTS format. It just seems to make multi-channel audio sound clearer in my room setup. Your results may vary...

You crack me up Tex.

Rich-n-Texas
08-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Guess I just haven't learned yet huh?

Ace H
08-21-2007, 11:32 AM
Neural Surround sounds pretty good also, but it packs a bit too much punch at the center channel.

Rich-n-Texas
08-21-2007, 11:37 AM
I just wish there was a format that would tell me where to place my sub! :rolleyes:

GMichael
08-21-2007, 11:42 AM
I just wish there was a format that would tell me where to place my sub! :rolleyes:

Dude, we so went over this one day. But you thought I was trying to trick you.

Rich-n-Texas
08-21-2007, 11:54 AM
I know I know. The problem was, the girls I had crawling around on their hands and knees were all blonds so the problem was never really resolved.

Sorry, Ace H, didn't mean to steal your thread.

PeruvianSkies
08-21-2007, 11:54 AM

What exactly are you trying to accomplish here? Typically the best way to go is to leave the receiver alone from all the advanced surround settings and just let it play in 'standard' mode. This way it doesn't try to remix the sound, whether that be 2.0, 5.1, or whatever. In that case it should default to ProLogic/DD 5.1 for Dolby mixes and DTS 5.1 for DTS mixes. Your remote should also have a stereo mode if you wish to concentrate on just 2-channel music or even stations that are only in stereo.

musicman1999
08-21-2007, 12:59 PM
For watching television that is not in 5.1 i use DTS Neo-6 Cinema+THX.I find that it gives a much smoother sound than PL2 with more realistic surround steering.

bill

Ace H
08-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Rich-n-Texas

I have no problem with the tread, the problem is that I was not invited when you had those blonds crawling around on their hands a knees (as long as they were legal "tender". :smilewinkgrin:

Ace H
08-21-2007, 02:30 PM
I must admit I am partial to DPLII Music with panorama ON. The channel separation is almost as good as Dolby D.

nightflier
08-21-2007, 03:03 PM
What exactly are you trying to accomplish here? Typically the best way to go is to leave the receiver alone from all the advanced surround settings and just let it play in 'standard' mode. This way it doesn't try to remix the sound, whether that be 2.0, 5.1, or whatever. In that case it should default to ProLogic/DD 5.1 for Dolby mixes and DTS 5.1 for DTS mixes. Your remote should also have a stereo mode if you wish to concentrate on just 2-channel music or even stations that are only in stereo.

When watching TV, it all comes down to what kind of surround format is being broadcast. This cases my Outlaw Pre/Pro to jump from one mode to the other, even when a commercial comes on, it could be in a different sound format. I've found that DTS Neo-6 sounds the best, except that my Outlaw won't stay on that because the source format keeps changing. It has got to be the most frustrating thing about watching TV.

And even with DTS Neo-6, I'm still no where near the sound of my DVDs. I just wish those %!$#@?#$% TV broadcasters would stick to one sound format and one video format. I've pretty much given up on TV alltogether and would rather watch a DVD any day. Heck, I even switch the damned boob tube off entirely just to find some peace & relaxation with just music.

Rich-n-Texas
08-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Amen nightflier. Network TV, which sadly is the only source of HD for me (not counting the Spanish channels) is just pitiful. I don't think my receiver changes the format like yours does though. I do look at the front panel and sometimes see commercials in 3 channel and my CC just blasts the audio. Irritating to say the least.

Rich-n-Texas
08-21-2007, 03:55 PM
Rich-n-Texas

I have no problem with the tread, the problem is that I was not invited when you had those blonds crawling around on their hands a knees (as long as they were legal "tender". :smilewinkgrin:
These here girls. They're all legal. Like I said, they weren't too helpful, but they sure were fun! :ihih:

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n286/rich3fan/My%20cars/hootersgirls12-1.jpg

Ace H
08-21-2007, 06:36 PM
These here girls. They're all legal. Like I said, they weren't too helpful, but they sure were fun! :ihih:
You like to kick a man when he's down don't you. :hand:

pixelthis
08-22-2007, 12:17 AM

this, like most of what peruvian skier posts is completely wrong and totally stupid.
PLII or DTSNEO both only work on two channel media, be it two channel encoded
with "dolby surround" or "dts".
Modern 5.1 channel formats (dts, DD5.1) play automatically and PLII and neo arent available when running these formats
these are meant to enhance stereo and analog surround formats
I hate to admit it but I sometimes like the PLII music format for stereo,
and I always go PLII movie for older movies, it almost sounds DVD like sometimes.
As much as I like DTS I really dont think their neo formats measure up, which is a disapointment.
Kind of what you would feel if you saw a picture of Rich on papers REAL girlfriends
(hint; crack hos are us):1:

kexodusc
08-22-2007, 03:20 AM
this, like most of what peruvian skier posts is completely wrong and totally stupid.
PLII or DTSNEO both only work on two channel media, be it two channel encoded
with "dolby surround" or "dts".
Modern 5.1 channel formats (dts, DD5.1) play automatically and PLII and neo arent available when running these formats
these are meant to enhance stereo and analog surround formats
I hate to admit it but I sometimes like the PLII music format for stereo,
and I always go PLII movie for older movies, it almost sounds DVD like sometimes.
As much as I like DTS I really dont think their neo formats measure up, which is a disapointment.
Kind of what you would feel if you saw a picture of Rich on papers REAL girlfriends
Dude you couldn't be more wrong.
Dolby PLIIx can absolutely, definitely, 100% for certain be used with 5.1 discrete signals.

Rich-n-Texas
08-22-2007, 04:21 AM
You like to kick a man when he's down don't you. :hand:
You're an AR member, how could you be down? :cornut:

GMichael
08-22-2007, 05:00 AM

And then you wonder why people come down on you? Do you really believe that this is NOT rude?:idea:

Rich-n-Texas
08-22-2007, 05:26 AM
I really think he still hasn't gotten the hang of smiley usage. He can't be serious when he says: "this, like most of what peruvian skier posts is completely wrong and totally stupid." I could dig up more of these kinds of remarks he's made to some of the other experienced and knowledgable folks here, but it just ain't worth it.

Did Troy ever buy that sarcasm detector he talks about in his sig?

GMichael
08-22-2007, 05:30 AM
Did Troy ever buy that sarcasm detector he talks about in his sig?

All of mine broke. I bought a dozen of them but RL went through them in a week.

Rich-n-Texas
08-22-2007, 05:38 AM
All of mine broke. I bought a dozen of them but RL went through them in a week.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay. I guess it's my turn to buy them. Did you get some kind of deal on the case?

I really miss RL :sad:

GMichael
08-22-2007, 05:44 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay. I guess it's my turn to buy them. Did you get some kind of deal on the case?

I really miss RL :sad:

Yes, they are a dime a dozen.

Yeah, I miss him too. I wonder why he left. I went through his last few posts. It didn't look like he was upset at the time. The caption below his avatar says, "color me gone.."
Seems like he won't be back.

kelsci
08-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Dolby Pro-Logic 2 Musicis my choice for any two channel to 5.1 channel source that I listen to. The adjustents for DPL-2 Music on your reciever are important to calibrate in your own mind where the sounds should be in your listening room. What you are trying to achieve is a 5.1 image resembling D.D. or DTS 5.1 discrete. IMHO, most important of those adjustments is dimension and width. I do not care for Panorama. DPL-2 Cinema lacks those two adjustments and IMHO sort of makes it worthless. DPL-2 Music appears to sound like a passive 5 channel Dynaquad circuit that i use to deploy and in fact appears to place the musical spacial ques in place much like that circuit. Unlike Dynaquad, the processing now takes place in a computer chip.

The one circuit that I have never had the access to try was Lexicon's Logic 7 which may have been the forerunner of DPL-2 music and cinema.

On the Pioneer vsx-516, DTS Neo works better than two other recievers that I had that had the feature but it is not impressive in its results. To be fair, I have only used it in 5 channel mode on my system. I have heard it on another system in 6 channel mode and was not impressed at all with it. To tell you the truth, I have not been impressed with anything the DTS company does in the realm of DTS movie audio and the DTS Neo codec.
But that is a subject for another day, "perhaps"

nightflier
08-22-2007, 10:26 AM
One thing people forget is that when you have 5 speakers, there really isn't anything that sounds as straight-forward as the TV's internal speaker alone. All the matrixed formats are much more difficult to configure and have irritating shortcomings, not the least of which is clarity with spoken voice.

And switching sound from the surround setup back to the TV's internal speaker is far too much trouble to be convenient, although I find my wife doing this all the time. I'm almost thinking that the simplest solution would be to ask manufacturers to include a center-speaker only mode as the best compromise. Unfortunately, most of today's receivers don't allow different speaker configurations for each input source. I would even be happy if I could just get a sound format that just used the front three speakers (no surrounds) with an emphasis on the center speaker, for all my TV watching, but I can't even get that. Instead of 25 different surround formats on a chip, just give me one that will let me hear the dialog clearly!

GMichael
08-22-2007, 11:09 AM
My receiver has 6 memory settings for set up. For TV I have it set up with a heavy emphasis on the center. Everything sounds very clear. The background is still there but doesn't drowned out the dialog. When I switch to DVD or music, it's just a flick of a switch to audio bliss.

pixelthis
08-25-2007, 01:12 AM
One thing people forget is that when you have 5 speakers, there really isn't anything that sounds as straight-forward as the TV's internal speaker alone. All the matrixed formats are much more difficult to configure and have irritating shortcomings, not the least of which is clarity with spoken voice.

And switching sound from the surround setup back to the TV's internal speaker is far too much trouble to be convenient, although I find my wife doing this all the time. I'm almost thinking that the simplest solution would be to ask manufacturers to include a center-speaker only mode as the best compromise. Unfortunately, most of today's receivers don't allow different speaker configurations for each input source. I would even be happy if I could just get a sound format that just used the front three speakers (no surrounds) with an emphasis on the center speaker, for all my TV watching, but I can't even get that. Instead of 25 different surround formats on a chip, just give me one that will let me hear the dialog clearly!
If you want to use your TV speaker for a center just run a line from your pre out to the audio in on your set.
But Mainly the problem might be your center isnt set up right.
As for using PROII or dts neo I too thought that you could overlay these over a discrete
5.1 channel format, then I discovered that I wasnt getting a DD signal!
I was getting an analog signal, and as soon as I got this fixed, I could never get proII
or dts neo to work while using DD or DTS
maybe some receivers allow this but I doubt it, as DOLBY labs probably wouldn't allow it!

musicman1999
08-25-2007, 06:44 AM
If you want to use your TV speaker for a center just run a line from your pre out to the audio in on your set.
As for using PROII or dts neo I too thought that you could overlay these over a discrete
I was getting an analog signal, and as soon as I got this fixed, I could never get proII
maybe some receivers allow this but I doubt it, as DOLBY labs probably wouldn't allow it!

My Anthem will allow it.To make 5.1 into 7.1,but i don't use it so i can't say how well it works.

bill

pixelthis
08-27-2007, 01:12 AM
My Anthem will allow it.To make 5.1 into 7.1,but i don't use it so i can't say how well it works.

bill
I have that too, and use it instead of a rear center channel, sounds pretty good.
But getting a center rear channel is different than changing the entire soundfiekd by overlaying an effect. I thought the whole point of DD or DTS was getting as accurate a sound field as possible

pixelthis
08-27-2007, 01:21 AM
My receiver has 6 memory settings for set up. For TV I have it set up with a heavy emphasis on the center. Everything sounds very clear. The background is still there but doesn't drowned out the dialog. When I switch to DVD or music, it's just a flick of a switch to audio bliss.

Well, I am glad you're finding some kind of bliss in your life.

Really

But whats wrong with having your receiver go to a setting when you change inputs?
I hit CD and it goes to plII music.
Hit dvd and it goes to koolaid
Cable and moocha magic

and so on and so on:1:

GMichael
08-27-2007, 05:58 AM
Well, I am glad you're finding some kind of bliss in your life.

Really

But whats wrong with having your receiver go to a setting when you change inputs?
I hit CD and it goes to plII music.
Hit dvd and it goes to koolaid
Cable and moocha magic

and so on and so on:1:

Mine will do that too. But sometimes I use the cable box to watch TV, sometimes movies, other times it's music. The DVD player gets used for movies and music. So the receiver only knows that I switched from DVD to cable. It doesn't know what I'm watching. It's nice to be able to customize it when needed at a flick of a switch.

GMichael
08-27-2007, 06:07 AM

I know that with some systems, this will cause a delay that sounds like an echo.

musicman1999
08-27-2007, 01:32 PM
I have that too, and use it instead of a rear center channel, sounds pretty good.
But getting a center rear channel is different than changing the entire soundfiekd by overlaying an effect. I thought the whole point of DD or DTS was getting as accurate a sound field as possible

What i meant was you can do it if you have speakers for 7.1.

bill