dvi vs. component video for hdtv [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : dvi vs. component video for hdtv

cashlz
02-24-2004, 04:20 PM
Hello all, A friend of mine just put in an hdtv tuner and we hooked it up component video. Both his tv and the tuner have a dvi hook-up. My question is that other than being kinda pricey what are the advantages or disadvantages of dvi vs. component. Thanks in advance!

jamie_the_dude
02-29-2004, 07:58 PM
Hello all, A friend of mine just put in an hdtv tuner and we hooked it up component video. Both his tv and the tuner have a dvi hook-up. My question is that other than being kinda pricey what are the advantages or disadvantages of dvi vs. component. Thanks in advance!

I have a neighbor who is a tech guru and loves video gear. He works in the computer business. Anyway..............he told me that the dvi input will be a better input than any other, but currently not enough sources use dvi. To date, I believe samsung is the only dvd player to use dvi and pioneer just released a different style connector on their new dv 59 elite dvd player. Maybe a little time will pass before dvi becomes a standard, or maybe there willl be a war to find what becomes standard. As far as I know, my neighbor said that a true 1080i picture can be transmitted through dvi, but remember your source must be 1080i. UGH! I hope I do not get bashed for this, but I think I remember him right?! "Til more dvd units use dvi- get component video. That is my take. Too early to worry about it.

Monstrous Mike
03-01-2004, 12:26 PM
This is fairly new technology and I know a little about it. The best that you can possibly do is to have an HDTV tuner with digital DVI out and an LCD television with digital DVI in. This way, the video signal never gets converted to analog. I have not seen this but I would guess that you cannot get a better picture than that.

If the TV is not a true digital TV, like a CRT or rear projection, then I doubt DVI will help unless your component cable run is really long or there is some other unusual factor.

Also DVI is currently in newer video cards and LCD monitors have DVI inputs. This might be useful if you either want to watch TV on your LCD monitor or use your LCD HDTV as a computer monitor. And maybe it will appear in digital video cameras so you can connect your camera right to a monitor or LCD TV.

So basically, component is almost the best analog video format (RGB is slightly better) and after that you have the all digital video capability of DVI.